47% The Other Woman Apr 25

Catch Me If You Can Reviews

thmtsang
thmtsang

May 31, 2007
Based on a true story, Frank (Leo) a 17 year old runs away from home when his parents get divorced. To survive he starts to forge cheques and takes on false identities as a pilot, doctor and lawyer. Frank is chased by the FBI Carl (Tom) all across America and Europe. Great cast including Leonardo DiCaprio, Christopher Walken, Martin Sheen and Amy Adams. Directed by Steven Spielberg.
Red L

February 14, 2013
Great story. Amazing that someone would be ballsy enough to actually try the various occupations Frank did.
Louis R

November 11, 2012
Certainly one of Speilberg's most nuanced films, and, as a result, arguably more affecting and emotionally resonant than Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List. The story is fascinating and both Speilberg and his cast do it full justice, delivering quick witted thrill with a sort of fragility behind it. Really great- my favourite Speilberg.
Graham J

July 22, 2012
Hanks, DiCaprio and Walken are great in this Spielberg comedy/thriller.
Tyler C

December 17, 2011
What was the beginning of Leo's new dawn as an actor, he certainly delivered a strong performance. Add on very stylish direction by Spielberg and a jazz-infused score by John Williams, you have one of the best films of 2002.
TheGame90
TheGame90

November 29, 2011
Very entertaining movie. Highly interesting story. DiCaprio and Hanks does what they do best. But we have all the other folks aswell. Walken is great. Martin Sheen is great. Amy Adams is great. And who else to put it all together but Steven Spielberg? Could it be anything else but good?
Sophie B

July 25, 2006
Top notch film from Spielberg with a brilliant cast including DiCaprio, Hanks and Walken. Loved the story and it does seem plausible to be real (just wondering how much was true story and how much was fiction), which always kept me guessing as to what was going to happen. With the time/location changes it did get confusing at times to remember which part of the story we were in but very well done. I just don't know why they had that little tv show intro in the beginning. A tad too long but well worth a watch!
Daniel P

April 15, 2007
It's almost inexplicable that this movie made me happy. Frank Abagnale Jr. (Leonardo DiCaprio) strikes out on his own as teenager when he's left to the side in parents' divorce, and begins conning and forging his way to millions. On his tail is Federal Agent Carl Hanratty, possibly the squarest character Tom Hanks has ever played. He too has an unhappy home life. Abagnale seems to want to be caught as badly as Hanratty needs to catch him, and from these rather dark places, the characters embark on an entertaining, almost cartoonish chase; a matching of two obsessives that Spielberg succeeds in making... fun! Excellent film-making, one of Spielberg's best, buried in a period of his career that has generally been forgettable. Catch Me If You Can is a great ride.
Jan Marc M

September 9, 2011
Catch Me If You Can is a Steven Spielberg film so pretentious I thought I was watching a film based on fiction. Superb interpretation, direction, and performances. Excellent storytelling of the Frank Abagnale story with underlying worthwhile themes on family. Fun. Fascinating.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 1, 2011
Paula Abagnale: Just tell me how much he owes and I'll pay you back.
Carl Hanratty: So far, it's about 1.3 million dollars.

Frank Abagnale Jr's story is remarkable and translates to Steven Spielberg's film, Catch Me if You Can really well. The movie is one of the most entertaining and fun films I've ever had the pleasure to watch. After around ten viewings now, it still has lost no appeal to me. The performances are all really good, the score fits the movie perfectly and the movie, although pretty long, has a fast pace to it. It never gets boring and one of the major reasons it never gets boring is because of the performances from both DiCaprio and Hanks.

Out of all the great roles DiCaprio has had, this might be my favorite. He plays the con artist who acts like a pilot and then a doctor and then a lawyer to perfection. He's funny and really easy to cheer for. He's the criminal, but you don't want him to get caught; you want him to continue doing what he's doing forever. I can't say this Hanks best role, but it is a good one nonetheless. He plays the FBI agent who is chasing Abagnale. I don't really need to talk about Hanks though because you know what you're getting fro him every time out; a solid performance. Christopher Walken, Martin Sheen and Amy Adams give good performances as well.

Even without amazing performances this movie still could have been okay. The great performances just put it over the top. The story alone makes for a good movie and in the hands of a great director like Spielberg, there was no chance it was going to fail. If there was any doubt Spielberg was among the best American directors(which there shouldn't be), this put that doubt to sleep. He adds this to the enormous list of great movies. I mean how can you argue with a list that includes Jaws and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I mean, for most people that's a great career, two masterpieces. Yeah, but he also has Schindlers List and E.T. and Jurassic Park, oh and Saving Privet Ryan, and then there's Indiana Jones. Ok, I could go on forever, but I think we get the point. Spielberg makes great movies.

Catch Me if You Can is among my favorites from Spielberg. It doesn't rely on big special effects or a sad story like some of his other films. I'm not at all saying those movies are bad because I love them too. With Catch Me... though Spielberg can just focus on the story because that's enough to entertain and he knows it. We don't need to be won over by gimmicks. He's straightforward with this movie and it really works because of that.

A truly brilliant film that can be enjoyed over and over again. This really is a must watch movie for any filmgoer, be it casual or frequent.

Carl Hanratty: Knock knock.
Earl Amdursky: Who's there?
Carl Hanratty: Go fuck yourselves.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
Great performances and the fact it was a true story had you more intrigued. A must see!
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 3, 2011
Steven Speilberg at his best. Frank Sbagnale Jr. (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a very smart 16 year old who leaves town once his mother leaves his father. Soon after he is able to forge himslef as a pilot, then doctor, and an attorney. But will Carl Hanratty (Tom Hanks) be abhle to catch this genius kid and his amazing forging skills, or not. Leonardo DiCaprio has a talent, he is able to play a emotional mad guy while also being able to make us love him, just because we know this is acting and what a tremendous actor he is. Tom hanks doesn't get enough recognition for this because its not Oscar worthy but not enough people remember his awesome performance. The plot was a great and long chase and heist film because Frank is always one step ahead of Tom Hanks in this film, whic we love about him. One of Spielbergs best and definently one of the greatest films of all time.
Kase V

April 20, 2011
Speilberg's prowess as a director easily leads 'Catch Me if You Can' towards success with each scene its given. The performances by DiCaprio and Hanks are both spectacular, and Walken does a very impressive job as well. Despite some pacing issues that may alienate some younger audiences, this film is a proven point of the talent of these actors, and the amount of heart Spielberg is capable of pouring into his films.
Sanjay R

April 24, 2011
The movie does drag on for longer than it should, but you still don't want it to end. A well written and acted movie. It gets a little out of hand towards the end and is less than plausible at times, but over all a great picture.
Conner R

November 19, 2009
A lot of people would be surprised to know that Steven Spielberg directed this extremely dramatic and character driven movie. While he's no stranger to either of those subjects, it just never really feels like one of his movies. I think that it's great when a director can be so talented that they can even change the way their movies feel. The style, pacing and general atmosphere of this is complete gold and perfect in every way. No matter how many times I see this it always manages to work just as well it did the first time I saw it. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks both give flawless performances and have a lot to do with why this is such a genuine and lovable experience. These characters are so well developed and the story is so well told that It's basically impossible to find it anything but amazing.
Jennifer X

May 27, 2007
I've never been a fan of Spielberg's longwinded style, but there's no denying this movie has a very cool feel to it. The heists are cleverly rendered and there are scenes that can take the breath away.
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 7, 2010
This film is so fun and nothing but a complete joy to watch. It's not your typical Spielberg movie, but it's definitely one of the most enjoyable. The cast, story, humor, cinematography, pace, flow, emotion.....it was all great! I'm thrilled to have this as part of my personal collection.

The performances were great all across the board. I'm not a big Leo fan, but I really enjoyed his performance here. He portrayed a wide variety of emotions and feelings throughout the film and I thought that he brilliantly executed each persona nicely. Tom Hanks is great, but is he ever anything less? Christopher Walken gives a highly overlooked performance as Abagnale Sr. He adds a tragic element to the story and gives the film a level of emotion that it easily could have forgotten. He gives a heart wrenching performance for which he recieved an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. It was also nice seeing Jennifer Garner in her tiny role. I had no idea she was in the film.

Of course, I can't forget my Amy Adams. This was the first major role for Amy Adams, and what a performance it was. She really holds her own against actors like Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks. One of my favorite scenes in the entire film is the Hospital scene where we first meet her character, Brenda. She completely OWNS the stage. In her first 4-5 minutes on camera, she is able to make a huge impression on the audience. Her smiles, grins, and southern accent totally drew me in; it really is a brilliant performance. Yes, she is my favorite actress, but I really do think she gives a stellar peformance in this scene, and in all of her scenes, as well. She, like Christopher Walken, adds a level of emotion the film easily would have lacked.

The cinematography was good as well. As were the costumes. The 1960's appearance was very appealing.

Based of the true story of young Frank Abagnale Jr., Spielberg takes you on a journey that can't be forgotten. It is so fun and irresistable in every way. Great story, great cast, great suspense, great film. I recommend this excellent film to anyone that in for a fun ride!
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

March 5, 2011
Review to come.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

January 20, 2011
Catch Me If You Can is the true story of Frank Abagnale Jr, a professional con artist. Abagnale is a brilliant forger as well, and he impersonated a doctor a lawyer and aco pilot all before he reached the age of 21. Leonardo Dicaprio plays the master con artist Frank Abagnale Jr, and Tom Hanks plays the FBI agent Carl Hanratty who pursues him. A ensuing game of cat and mouse ensues as Frank stays one step ahead at all times. Directed by Steven Spielberg, Catch Me If You Can is Spielbergs best film since Saving Private Ryan. The film is a well crafted Drama film with bits of Comedy thrown in. Frank Abignale Jr is able to pull off some impressive con before the age of 21. Catch Me If You Can is a very impressive biopic on this inventive Conman. Though departing from his standard "epics", Steven Spielberg is able to craft a film that brings has a vivid 60's atmosphere. The look of the film is brilliant, and the time the story takes in is very interesting as well. Even if the film departs from Spielbergs traditional works, Catch Me If You Can is still an accomplished effort by Spielberg. Leonardo DiCaprio is well suited for the part, and it's very interesting to see him and Tom Hanks butt heads throughout the film. A very intelligent film thats a lot of fun, sad, and comical at the same time. After you've seen it, you'll probably be impressed with the wit that Frank Abignale Jr displayed before his 21 birthday to Con his way in a life of excitement. A different, but still very good film by Spielberg.
garyX
garyX

March 17, 2007
Catch Me If You Can is a lighthearted comedy-thriller based on the life of audacious conman Frank Abagnale Jr who made millions passing fake cheques while he was still in his teens and went on to be one of the most respected fraud investigators in the world. It's a truly astonishing story and with the hugely likable Leonardo DiCaprio in the lead role and Spielberg's sensitive sketching of his homelife you can't help both warming to and admiring the sheer size of the brass set on him. He was living the American dream and if it weren't for the pesky detail of federal crime he'd probably be a national hero. The core of the film is the relationship between he and the FBI agent pursuing him played by Tom Hanks, who puts in a similarly fine performance as the lonely obsessive who mirrors his quarry. In fact it is this cat and mouse game that makes the film and the flippant approach couldn't really justify the sheer length of the it, particularly for the rather overlong opening of the film before Hanratty first encounters him. Still, it is a deeply stylish, self-assured and always entertaining film and another winner from the ever reliable Spielberg.