42% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Catch Me If You Can Reviews

Daniel Mumby
Daniel Mumby

June 1, 2014
In my review of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, I spoke about the misconception that darker films are inherently better or more substantial. If Steven Spielberg's film demonstrates that darkness can severely backfire in stories of a light or silly nature, we might logically assume that the opposite is true - namely that a serious (or in this case factual) subject matter can be handled in a fun, light-hearted way while still getting its substance across.

This brings us on to Catch Me If You Can, a later Spielberg effort covering the early life of teen fraudster and con artist Frank Abagnale Jr.. It takes the potentially grim and gritty subject matter of confidence tricksters and spins us a merry yarn about the excesses of youth whose protagonist is always empathetic. While it perhaps doesn't go as far into its subject matter as perhaps it could have done, it's still a sterling piece of entertainment with a lot of heart behind it.

Catch Me If You Can has an interesting production history, in which any one change could have drastically altered the finished product. Having been passed around the studios for 20 years since the book rights were first optioned in 1980, the project began to gain traction in 2000 when David Fincher signed on to direct. Fincher later jumped ship to make Panic Room, being replaced first with Gore Verbinski, then Lasse Hallstrom, Milo Forman and finally Cameron Crowe before Spielberg himself opted to direct.

In each case, the director's subsequent output gives us some idea of how they would have approached Abagnale's story. Fincher would have brought an edgy undercurrent to proceedings, focussing on the mental state of Abagnale and the ease with which he was able to fool the system. Verbinski would have handled the story incompetently while doing some justice to the period detail, just as he would later do with Pirates of the Caribbean. Both Hallstrom and Crowe would have made things much more sentimental, playing up the father-son relationship at the expense of the actual cons. And Forman... well, on the basis of Goya's Ghosts, it would have been rather dull.

In the end, Spielberg was the right person to direct this film. Regardless of his reputation or the influence he wields over the industry, the story of Catch Me If You Can is perfect for his sensibility. It has many of the elements which have characterised his best work: light-hearted adventure, a celebration of American values, a son searching for his father and a dry, often joyous sense of humour. While direct comparisons with Indiana Jones are a little misleading, this is as close as he's come to Indy for some time, at least in terms of entertainment.

The first big success of Spielberg's film is putting us in the period. The opening credits are quintessentially 1960s, with animated versions of the characters dancing out of the way of the various names. John Williams' score is playful and upbeat but with a whistful undercurrent, bringing to mind the iconic theme music for the Pink Panther series. While Monsters, Inc. used the 1960s look as juxtaposition to its funky CG animation, Catch Me If You Can uses it to great effect to acclimatise us before we've even seen our leads.

The good visual work continues after the credits with some lovely period details. Janusz Kami?ski, who has worked with Spielberg since Schindler's List, offers up a colour palette of appealing pastel colours, harking us back to a more innocent, carefree time. Having been a teenager in the early- and mid-1960s, Spielberg clearly has a firm understanding of the fashions, manners and institutions of the period. No skirt seems too short, no car too modern, and no expression out of context or added purely to make the characters seem old-fashioned.

While it doesn't revolve around the FBI enough to properly constitute a spy thriller, Catch Me If You Can is still the closest that Spielberg has come to making a James Bond film. He'd expressed an interest in doing so after 1941, with George Lucas pitching the original idea for Raiders of the Lost Ark as "better than James Bond". The film is fantastically paced so that two-and-a-half hours just fly by, with the thrill of the chase being beautifully balanced by more thoughtful and suspensful moments.

It would be foolish, however, to think that Catch Me If You Can was all about surface, with no deeper ambitions other than recreating the period setting or providing a thrilling chase. Arguably the best thing about Spielberg is his ability to convey meaningful, often complex ideas through scenes and stories which appear to be totally frivolous. In this instance, he returns to one of his familiar themes of a father-son relationship, using a familiar device in his work to tease out the deeper motivations behind Abagnale's tomfoolery.

Much like E. T. twenty years before it, Catch Me If You Can examines how divorce can severely impact the well-being of the couple's children. In the midst of Frank's great capers, which con honest people out of millions of dollars, we get scenes of Frank having often torturous discussions with his father, whose fortunes decline as Frank's rise. These meetings are a device on Spielberg's part: in reality, Abagnale never saw his father again after leaving home at 16. But the change comes with the blessing of the real-life Abagnale: even at the height of his exploits, he would fantasise about his parents getting back together.

Frank begins conning as an act of determined rebellion against the old order. He sees his father, an upstanding pillar of the community, suffering as he goes through life doing things the right way; as much as he loves his father, he resolves never to end up like him. There's a through-line with Goodfellas here, with both films justifying their protagonists' illegal lifestyles on the grounds that living a legitimate life causes more trouble and unnecessary effort. Equally, there's a comparison with Death of a Salesman, with Leonardo DiCaprio standing in for Biff and Christopher Walken doing a very fine job in the tragic role akin to that of Willy Loman.

But while Martin Scorsese's film was deeply ironic and sought to deglamourise the life of Henry Hill, Spielberg actively courts our sympathy for Frank's actions. Spielberg commented in interviews that people were "more trusting" in the 1960s and that the film wouldn't be deemed instructional to con artists of today. While this latter statement is definitely true, there's no denying that the film is far more sympathetic towards Frank than it is towards the FBI agent hunting him down. Carl Hanratty is depicted as being like Frank's dad: seperated from his wife, driven by work, doing his best but still on the losing side (until the end).

We might dispute the value of being so sympathetic, given the differing intentions of the stories and the nature of their protagonists. But one area where Catch Me If You Can does falter a little is the mechanics of Frank's forgeries. It explains the cons in enough detail for us to follow, but it always puts the thrill of the chase over a deeper examination of how Frank managed to pull off any one scheme. On an intellectual level, it's much more Lethal Weapon 2 than To Live and Die in LA.

While there is an awful lot of pleasure to be mined from just following the chase, there are moments in the film when we are conscious of Spielberg substituting depth for something less enticing. There's no issue at all with Frank seeing his father on a regular basis, but the fact that he keeps running into Carl on Christmas Eve is so contrived that even Frank Capra wouldn't touch it. Likewise, the ending drags a little, with Frank attempting one last escape in the midst of coming to work for the FBI. Had this section been trimmed, the film might not have needed the end cards explaning Abagnale's actions after reforming.

Ultimately, these problems are allayed or rendered somehow less important through the charm of the central performances. DiCaprio's early career had seen him pandering to his pretty-boy image, but here he strikes a very good balance between fresh-faced charisma and emotional depth. Tom Hanks, fresh from a more demanding turn in Cast Away, turns in a typically fine performance as the downtrodden, long-suffering and frustrated Hanratty. Most impressive, however, is the Oscar-nominated Walken, who keeps things reined in tight to create one of his most meaningful performances in years.

Catch Me If You Can is a rollicking good romp with a good amount of heart and a trio of fine male leads. While it's ultimately as light-headed as it is light-hearted, it does get to grips with some of the deeper issues with Frank's lifestyle as well as serving up much in the way of thrills and spills. While it's not Spielberg's best film by any stretch, it is a good example of how good he can be when he just decides to have fun.
thmtsang
thmtsang

May 31, 2007
Based on a true story, Frank (Leo) a 17 year old runs away from home when his parents get divorced. To survive he starts to forge cheques and takes on false identities as a pilot, doctor and lawyer. Frank is chased by the FBI Carl (Tom) all across America and Europe. Great cast including Leonardo DiCaprio, Christopher Walken, Martin Sheen and Amy Adams. Directed by Steven Spielberg.
Red L

February 14, 2013
Great story. Amazing that someone would be ballsy enough to actually try the various occupations Frank did.
Louis R

November 11, 2012
Certainly one of Speilberg's most nuanced films, and, as a result, arguably more affecting and emotionally resonant than Saving Private Ryan or Schindler's List. The story is fascinating and both Speilberg and his cast do it full justice, delivering quick witted thrill with a sort of fragility behind it. Really great- my favourite Speilberg.
Graham J

July 22, 2012
Hanks, DiCaprio and Walken are great in this Spielberg comedy/thriller.
Tyler C

December 17, 2011
What was the beginning of Leo's new dawn as an actor, he certainly delivered a strong performance. Add on very stylish direction by Spielberg and a jazz-infused score by John Williams, you have one of the best films of 2002.
TheGame90
TheGame90

November 29, 2011
Very entertaining movie. Highly interesting story. DiCaprio and Hanks does what they do best. But we have all the other folks aswell. Walken is great. Martin Sheen is great. Amy Adams is great. And who else to put it all together but Steven Spielberg? Could it be anything else but good?
Sophie B

July 25, 2006
Top notch film from Spielberg with a brilliant cast including DiCaprio, Hanks and Walken. Loved the story and it does seem plausible to be real (just wondering how much was true story and how much was fiction), which always kept me guessing as to what was going to happen. With the time/location changes it did get confusing at times to remember which part of the story we were in but very well done. I just don't know why they had that little tv show intro in the beginning. A tad too long but well worth a watch!
Daniel P

April 15, 2007
It's almost inexplicable that this movie made me happy. Frank Abagnale Jr. (Leonardo DiCaprio) strikes out on his own as teenager when he's left to the side in parents' divorce, and begins conning and forging his way to millions. On his tail is Federal Agent Carl Hanratty, possibly the squarest character Tom Hanks has ever played. He too has an unhappy home life. Abagnale seems to want to be caught as badly as Hanratty needs to catch him, and from these rather dark places, the characters embark on an entertaining, almost cartoonish chase; a matching of two obsessives that Spielberg succeeds in making... fun! Excellent film-making, one of Spielberg's best, buried in a period of his career that has generally been forgettable. Catch Me If You Can is a great ride.
Jan Marc M

September 9, 2011
Catch Me If You Can is a Steven Spielberg film so pretentious I thought I was watching a film based on fiction. Superb interpretation, direction, and performances. Excellent storytelling of the Frank Abagnale story with underlying worthwhile themes on family. Fun. Fascinating.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 1, 2011
Paula Abagnale: Just tell me how much he owes and I'll pay you back.
Carl Hanratty: So far, it's about 1.3 million dollars.

Frank Abagnale Jr's story is remarkable and translates to Steven Spielberg's film, Catch Me if You Can really well. The movie is one of the most entertaining and fun films I've ever had the pleasure to watch. After around ten viewings now, it still has lost no appeal to me. The performances are all really good, the score fits the movie perfectly and the movie, although pretty long, has a fast pace to it. It never gets boring and one of the major reasons it never gets boring is because of the performances from both DiCaprio and Hanks.

Out of all the great roles DiCaprio has had, this might be my favorite. He plays the con artist who acts like a pilot and then a doctor and then a lawyer to perfection. He's funny and really easy to cheer for. He's the criminal, but you don't want him to get caught; you want him to continue doing what he's doing forever. I can't say this Hanks best role, but it is a good one nonetheless. He plays the FBI agent who is chasing Abagnale. I don't really need to talk about Hanks though because you know what you're getting fro him every time out; a solid performance. Christopher Walken, Martin Sheen and Amy Adams give good performances as well.

Even without amazing performances this movie still could have been okay. The great performances just put it over the top. The story alone makes for a good movie and in the hands of a great director like Spielberg, there was no chance it was going to fail. If there was any doubt Spielberg was among the best American directors(which there shouldn't be), this put that doubt to sleep. He adds this to the enormous list of great movies. I mean how can you argue with a list that includes Jaws and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I mean, for most people that's a great career, two masterpieces. Yeah, but he also has Schindlers List and E.T. and Jurassic Park, oh and Saving Privet Ryan, and then there's Indiana Jones. Ok, I could go on forever, but I think we get the point. Spielberg makes great movies.

Catch Me if You Can is among my favorites from Spielberg. It doesn't rely on big special effects or a sad story like some of his other films. I'm not at all saying those movies are bad because I love them too. With Catch Me... though Spielberg can just focus on the story because that's enough to entertain and he knows it. We don't need to be won over by gimmicks. He's straightforward with this movie and it really works because of that.

A truly brilliant film that can be enjoyed over and over again. This really is a must watch movie for any filmgoer, be it casual or frequent.

Carl Hanratty: Knock knock.
Earl Amdursky: Who's there?
Carl Hanratty: Go fuck yourselves.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
Great performances and the fact it was a true story had you more intrigued. A must see!
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 3, 2011
Steven Speilberg at his best. Frank Sbagnale Jr. (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a very smart 16 year old who leaves town once his mother leaves his father. Soon after he is able to forge himslef as a pilot, then doctor, and an attorney. But will Carl Hanratty (Tom Hanks) be abhle to catch this genius kid and his amazing forging skills, or not. Leonardo DiCaprio has a talent, he is able to play a emotional mad guy while also being able to make us love him, just because we know this is acting and what a tremendous actor he is. Tom hanks doesn't get enough recognition for this because its not Oscar worthy but not enough people remember his awesome performance. The plot was a great and long chase and heist film because Frank is always one step ahead of Tom Hanks in this film, whic we love about him. One of Spielbergs best and definently one of the greatest films of all time.
Kase V

April 20, 2011
Speilberg's prowess as a director easily leads 'Catch Me if You Can' towards success with each scene its given. The performances by DiCaprio and Hanks are both spectacular, and Walken does a very impressive job as well. Despite some pacing issues that may alienate some younger audiences, this film is a proven point of the talent of these actors, and the amount of heart Spielberg is capable of pouring into his films.
Sanjay R

April 24, 2011
The movie does drag on for longer than it should, but you still don't want it to end. A well written and acted movie. It gets a little out of hand towards the end and is less than plausible at times, but over all a great picture.
Conner R

November 19, 2009
A lot of people would be surprised to know that Steven Spielberg directed this extremely dramatic and character driven movie. While he's no stranger to either of those subjects, it just never really feels like one of his movies. I think that it's great when a director can be so talented that they can even change the way their movies feel. The style, pacing and general atmosphere of this is complete gold and perfect in every way. No matter how many times I see this it always manages to work just as well it did the first time I saw it. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks both give flawless performances and have a lot to do with why this is such a genuine and lovable experience. These characters are so well developed and the story is so well told that It's basically impossible to find it anything but amazing.
Jennifer X

May 27, 2007
I've never been a fan of Spielberg's longwinded style, but there's no denying this movie has a very cool feel to it. The heists are cleverly rendered and there are scenes that can take the breath away.
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 7, 2010
This film is so fun and nothing but a complete joy to watch. It's not your typical Spielberg movie, but it's definitely one of the most enjoyable. The cast, story, humor, cinematography, pace, flow, emotion.....it was all great! I'm thrilled to have this as part of my personal collection.

The performances were great all across the board. I'm not a big Leo fan, but I really enjoyed his performance here. He portrayed a wide variety of emotions and feelings throughout the film and I thought that he brilliantly executed each persona nicely. Tom Hanks is great, but is he ever anything less? Christopher Walken gives a highly overlooked performance as Abagnale Sr. He adds a tragic element to the story and gives the film a level of emotion that it easily could have forgotten. He gives a heart wrenching performance for which he recieved an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. It was also nice seeing Jennifer Garner in her tiny role. I had no idea she was in the film.

Of course, I can't forget my Amy Adams. This was the first major role for Amy Adams, and what a performance it was. She really holds her own against actors like Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks. One of my favorite scenes in the entire film is the Hospital scene where we first meet her character, Brenda. She completely OWNS the stage. In her first 4-5 minutes on camera, she is able to make a huge impression on the audience. Her smiles, grins, and southern accent totally drew me in; it really is a brilliant performance. Yes, she is my favorite actress, but I really do think she gives a stellar peformance in this scene, and in all of her scenes, as well. She, like Christopher Walken, adds a level of emotion the film easily would have lacked.

The cinematography was good as well. As were the costumes. The 1960's appearance was very appealing.

Based of the true story of young Frank Abagnale Jr., Spielberg takes you on a journey that can't be forgotten. It is so fun and irresistable in every way. Great story, great cast, great suspense, great film. I recommend this excellent film to anyone that in for a fun ride!
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

March 5, 2011
Review to come.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

January 20, 2011
Catch Me If You Can is the true story of Frank Abagnale Jr, a professional con artist. Abagnale is a brilliant forger as well, and he impersonated a doctor a lawyer and aco pilot all before he reached the age of 21. Leonardo Dicaprio plays the master con artist Frank Abagnale Jr, and Tom Hanks plays the FBI agent Carl Hanratty who pursues him. A ensuing game of cat and mouse ensues as Frank stays one step ahead at all times. Directed by Steven Spielberg, Catch Me If You Can is Spielbergs best film since Saving Private Ryan. The film is a well crafted Drama film with bits of Comedy thrown in. Frank Abignale Jr is able to pull off some impressive con before the age of 21. Catch Me If You Can is a very impressive biopic on this inventive Conman. Though departing from his standard "epics", Steven Spielberg is able to craft a film that brings has a vivid 60's atmosphere. The look of the film is brilliant, and the time the story takes in is very interesting as well. Even if the film departs from Spielbergs traditional works, Catch Me If You Can is still an accomplished effort by Spielberg. Leonardo DiCaprio is well suited for the part, and it's very interesting to see him and Tom Hanks butt heads throughout the film. A very intelligent film thats a lot of fun, sad, and comical at the same time. After you've seen it, you'll probably be impressed with the wit that Frank Abignale Jr displayed before his 21 birthday to Con his way in a life of excitement. A different, but still very good film by Spielberg.