Catfish in Black Bean Sauce - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Catfish in Black Bean Sauce Reviews

iLeo
January 2, 2008
A great movie! One of my favorites. Love it.
½ December 5, 2007
Buried in this is a nice little story about intermingling of cultures, but it rarely gets beyond the obvious cliches.
February 21, 2007
Man I love this film! Poignant yet hilarious and a perspective rarely seen on film. Chi Moui Lo and Alice Walker are great and if for no other reason you have to check it out to see two old ladies battling over their son.
½ December 18, 2006
The title sold the movie for it. When i had heard the title for some reason i wanted to go pick it up. And Paul Winfield which i remember from numerous tv shows and films brought me even more to see it. Luckily he was fantastic... but aside from a clever main structure/storyline the sideplots and jokes dont seem fit for this movie but maybe a PG-13 crude film with Rob Schnieder. A wish washy film.... had promise but let itself down :(
May 17, 2004
[b]Troy[/b]: A very bland war flick. Brings nothing new or interesting to the genre.

[b]The Hot Spot:[/b] Really 5.5/10. Almost good, but I remained disinterested throughout the movie. (Special note: I couldn't be turned on by the Connelly nude scene knowing she was sitting next to her sister.)

[b]Cliffhanger:[/b] Cheesy but entertaining action flick. Nothing I'd watch again though.

[b]Catfish[/b]: A good movie with good acting all around. The interaction between Asian and African-American cultures was interesting, and Sanaa Lathan is my 3rd wife in line.

[b]Gerry[/b]: I appreciate the experimentation, but it was boring. Very boring.
September 2, 2011
Me and my Nieces and nephews use to love to watch this movie, it brings back a lot of great memories.
I'm a big fan of Sanaa Lathan !
½ December 5, 2007
November 12, 2009
A lovely, funny movie, enjoy!
October 18, 2008
There is some good material here, and the tension between cultures analyzed here is one that is intriguing in that it often goes unconsidered. But, the script here is beyond unpolished. There are 50,000 subplots in the film, the vast majority of which are either unnecessary or unresolved at the conclusion. The lead romantic story is nothing but very awkward exchanges between actors that don't seem to click. Very jumbled.
October 14, 2008
I love this movie.. i love how the cultures come together it showed me something hollywood never discusses in a good way asians and black and white people relations and living together positively
½ July 11, 2008
Although the dialogue is a bit stilted at times the story line is really interesting and entertaining.
March 18, 2008
I love the message of this movie^_^ And how it shows that love has no colour. When you love someone it shouldnt matter what race they are or where they come from. This is one of my favourites.
iLeo
January 2, 2008
A great movie! One of my favorites. Love it.
September 26, 2007
Wow, didn't expect it to be so funny, I recommend it!
July 22, 2007
The acting didn't flow as well as I had hope, but it was a good idea to mingle it in. The movie title caught my attention.
July 21, 2007
I say this movie is slightly below average. It had potential with the storyline but the script was lousy esp. with the main character (the son). Everyone's acting was pretty good expect for the main actor/director. His acting is awkward. The movie has a few very funny moments and a couple of dramatic ones. The main scene I like is when the two mothers are fighting; and when Sanaa Lathan's character is crying.
July 4, 2007
s. lathan everyone, SERIOUSLY! it gave all small asian dudes hope! you can poke fun at the writing and the cheesiness of all of this, but this film took on some pretty interesting topics head on.
June 27, 2007
Now where my hot sauce, I don't want no ketchup...
June 24, 2007
I actually cried in this movie! It was good in the sense it was akward.