The Cave Reviews

January 27, 2013
If you're into caving and diving, you might get a slight kick out of this. If you're not, then don't bother.
½ January 23, 2013
*Spoilers* The underwater photography is beautiful and I liked the idea. I really liked the monsters too, it was a nice idea to begin with but it soon got very silly indeed. The whole concept is ruined by the fact that there was a way out after all, thus making the parasitic monsters that evolved in total darkness and isolation impossible. What I hated most though was the colour by numbers characters, they were mostly unbelievable and could have been replaced with puppets. The last few minutes in the cave were stupid. In one scene, two groups go in different directions, one goes down a river in the opposite direction and the other climbs up half a mile of rock, then walks a further mile and then falls down an icy cliff, only to walk around a corner to greet the other team. Doh! Also, it quite clear the actors have breathing apparatus in their mouths while diving through the underwater caves but we are lead to believe they can communicate via a radio. Stupid. Treat your audience like idiots and your audience won't like it. Shame, as I think it had potential.
½ May 6, 2012
An intrepid group of underground, underwater cave explorers try their hand in Romania (Dracula territory, a tip off), where they've found a new cave, under a mountain, under a church, and discover that they are in turn discovered by flesh eating monstrosities. Claustrophobic spaces, lots of uber-dark, and a music score from Psycho does not prevent science types from wandering off on their own (" hello, don't worry, I'm a doctor, highly trained, did you hear that noise, I'll go by myself to check it out w/this flashlight that don't work and no weapons even though I know something's out there killing us all off ...") one by one ... and the result is predictable movie horror cliches.
FiLmCrAzY
November 4, 2007
I quite like this movie ive seen it a few times now and although its certainly not the scariest nor the most fantastic storyline it certaily doesnt promise anything that it cant deliver!
Its entertaining enough and kept me thoroughly entertained throughout!
TheDudeLebowski65
½ August 29, 2011
I view The Cave as a bad rip-off of the superior British horror film, The Descent. The Cave basically follows the exact same path, except its a lot less inspired. The film is so not inspired that it's ridiculously stupid with actors who over do it, and they try to create something horrifying and tense on screen. If you've seen The Descent, you've seen this one. A badly acted film riddled with clichés from every possible horror film. I thought that this film was a pure waste of time because it didn't do anything good with its plot. The film relied on clichés the whole time, and the film was predictable. The horror was so poorly done that it was laughable. I thought that it was one of the films biggest flaws, aside from the terrible acting from the "actors". The film had no effective atmosphere, and thus it killed the feel of the overall film. The Descent was genuinely frightening, but this is laughable. The performances were terrible too. I had a hard time with the awful acting, and I really didn't care who lived or died in the film. I just thought this was a pointless attempt at horror and it was terrible. This is one of the worst horror films that I had the misfortune of seeing. This is a bad horror film plain and simple, and it doesn't have anything interesting going on, on screen. This recycles old ideas that we've seen from previous horror films, and it's nothing exciting or interesting for that matter. Just a film to steal your money away.
ScoopOnline
November 1, 2010
I dont know how many similar Movies I have seen and I just cannt believe they go on making the same old stuff till it doesnt make sense any more, it is just to violent.
Watching this Movie I had the feeling I have seen it several times although it was my first time, it is just the plot is similar for e.g. The Descent.
3niR
½ May 22, 2010
Whoa the ending part was seriously mysterious. Are they going to make a second part of this? Hope so. It clearly states that.
January 23, 2010
Was not good, and to top it off, it never even had anything going for it!
August 15, 2009
Most seem to dislike this movie, but I loved it so much when I rented it that I watched it more than once (rare for me) and not long after went out and bought it (very rare)! I know it's not really anything different from your run of the mill creature horror, but the creatures' echoing sounds and their looks are just too cool! Also, I've always been fascinated by caves and love the extra features on the DVD. I may be the only one, but I much much prefer The Cave to The Descent. Watch for when you see the arm of one of the creatures and see numbers/symbols. That tells you what these creatures really are.
½ June 30, 2009
the only good thing was seeing Piper Perabo falling off a cliff... that happened didnt it?
½ June 13, 2006
Having been released almost simultaneously with the "The Descent", which is also about a cave expedition gone bad, this film has to deal with getting compared to the excellent British horror thriller. While the set up isn't comparable, what follows soon after is: group goes into caves, gets locked in, has to find a way out, is not alone down there. While this film is never boring, even exciting on a few occasions it loses in most aspects to The Descent. The characters remain rather flat and uninteresting, their fate is somewhat predictable. The whole film is less gory and scary, less claustrophobic and way more unrealistic than his sibling. That's still okay entertainment for a rainy afternoon but easily forgotten soon after.
November 18, 2008
As we all know Hollywood doesn't need to produce remakes for unoriginal ideas. Armageddon and Deep Impact. Volcano and Dante's Peak. Here we have The Cave which is the same story as The Descent. Only it's absolute shit compared to the brilliance of The Descent. How can two such similar films be so different? Well The Cave is typical Hollywood, so we are handed cookie cutter characters (The Dr, The leader, the angry one), some political correctness. Men, women, a black and an Asian, note to writers, if a description of your film sounds like the beginning of a joke just start over. Everyone is dull and has such stilted dialogue that it doesn't matter which character says what, they're all the same. The monsters are more is MORE. It's a monster, it's a parasite, it can fly with a stupid stupid twist (Descent left it's monsters origins to speculation). By the end I didn't care, my mind was wondering and thinking about The Descent (you should watch that, it's amazing). Then came the final scene which crapped over all the shit that came before it, and that shit had dried up so the smell wasn't so bad, but after the stupidity of the last scene it just wreaked again. Though the cinematography was pretty good.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
July 1, 2008
It's not surprising that this film was a dud, it really didn't have anywhere to go. A group of expeditioners go into a cave I mile underground, become trapped and then try to escape whilst getting picked off one by one by some undiscovered species that has evolved in there. It is not scary at all and barely thrilling, and it is always dark and all you see is flashlights and faces of the main characters. I could barely understand what the characters were saying and I had pretty much no idea what they were trying to achieve. There was no storyline at all and the acting wasn't anything special.

On the plus side, there are a few cool special effects and stunts, but nothing much else.

1.5/5
deano
December 14, 2006
It's hard to get really excited about this film. It's got cool creatures and a nifty little premise of spelunkers getting trapped underground and having to fight for their lives against nasty critters in the dark. It's a part like The Relic. The problem really lies in the face that it's just not that interesting. Perhaps it's the lackluster characters who you really don't care about, or maybe it's the should-be-but-aren't-all-that-thrilling action set pieces. Try Descent instead.
puffchunk
October 18, 2007
Bah. Dumb.
March 30, 2007
A very poor film, you can barely call it a horror. Watch The Descent instead.
½ July 3, 2007
The opening scenes led me to believe that this would be a better version of "The Descent" but as soon as the new team of scientists turned up in the film I just knew it was going to stink. None of the characters were remotely interesting. Not even the presence of Russell from "Invasion" and Daniel Dae Kim from "Lost" were going to save this movie.
½ January 21, 2007
The Cave was released in Britain around the same time The Descent was in order to compete with it. Take a look at the critical and box-office receptions of both films, then decide for yourself which is better.
December 27, 2006
Monsters in the dark. Beware.
ajaymuthecooldevils
June 5, 2006
Not scariest as the poster have... The ending was annoying me too...