CB4 Reviews

January 22, 2011
Watch Fear of a Black Hat instead. Because it's actually funny. And relevant. Even if you don't like rap. Especially if you like rap.

Leave it to Chris Rock to take a great concept and ensure there's not a single laugh-out-loud moment in the whole film, even with Phil Hartman on board. Surely, I thought, as much as I love rap music and as many times as I've heard references to CB4 in rap songs, that this film would be better, funnier, something. But it wasn't.
½ January 24, 2008
Great comedy, an underestimated classic.
May 6, 2009
Dang, is Chris Rock my fave actor??? I love comedy, and I love hip-hop, so mixing the two makes this a classic. So many scenes in this movie are worth talking about but I will just say that the "sex (comparision) scenes" and the funeral scenes, along with Charlie Murphy, really take this movie to the next level!!!!!!!!
June 7, 2008
I saw this movie as a kid and saw someone get arrested during the actual showing of the movie in the theater.
I'd love to watch it again now that I have been around a lot of hip hop.
July 7, 2007
Hahahaha.....My oldest brother was able to see this movie when it came out and left the rest of wondering what the hell was soo funny. Then when i saw it, i didnt get the jokes right away....watching it now im glad i've grown up.
April 28, 2007
Extremely vulgar without ever being all that funny. Recommended only if you want to take a 90-minute bath in filth.
½ April 16, 2007
A spoof on gangsta rap music groups. Namely NWA. Chris Rock is hilarious and they do make some good points. If you like this one check out "Fear of a black hat".
March 10, 2007
Hilarious rapumentary that seemed to be the answer to eock from Wayne's World. Everyone was pretty hilarious except for the father and the girlfriend, in which they played their parts pretty well also, to keep everything grounded. A lot of great one liners, especially when Dead Mike is working the 976-GAYS hotline. Very funny movie, just needs a chance.
February 1, 2007
Funny comedy in the same arena as "Spinal Tap", with all kinds of cameo's and funny songs to keep you entertained...and did we mention Chris Rock???
April 8, 2015
A rap Spinal Tap only not good.
December 26, 2013
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
July 20, 2013
If you grew up with rap in the 80s and 90s, you'll love this parody. Back when Chris Rock was still funny even!
September 16, 2012
Chris Rock has made a cult film here. If you enjoy rap and hip-hop but also can poke fun at the many stereo-types then its a must watch.
½ August 27, 2012
Chris Rock, Chris Elliott, and Phil Hartman in one movie. Amazing.
½ April 7, 2012
Similar to "This is Spinal Tap" Not as good as that film but funny nonetheless
½ March 29, 2012
CB4 (Tamra Davis, 1993)

There are some things that have achieved the status of urban legends because any veracity they may have had at some time in the past has faded so far back that, simply, no one knows if they were at one point true. Did John Pershing bury Muslims with pigs as a deterrent in 1911? No one knows any more. Did random crazies ever hand out poisoned candy on Halloween? It may have happened. Was Chris Rock ever actually funny in a feature-length film? I had long thought this, too, would pass into the world of the forever-unverifiable until I uncovered the movie CB4. Which is kind of funny, because back in the day, I owned the soundtrack, but I'd never actually gotten round to seeing the flick itself. In fact, I'd totally forgotten about it until Netflix Streaming told me it was disappearing in a week. No time like the present, I thought, and gave it a go. Chris Rock wrote this? Even stranger, Tamra Davis directed it? And yet all the evidence points to the idea that what should have been some sort of perfect storm of absolute movie suck is one of the nineties' underrated gems.

If you are not familiar with our co-conspirators: Chris Rock is a very, very funny stand-up comic who actually exhibited a flar for dramatic roles (New Jack City, e.g.; this film's funniest scene is Rock parodying one of that film's iconic moments), then tried to get into film comedy. In almost every case, the results have ranged from the terminally stupid (need I mention Pootie Tang?) to the absolutely horrifying (Dogma, perhaps the worst of Kevin Smith's uniformly unwatchable comedies). And then there's former music video director Tamra Davis, who released a string of comedies so bad after this (Billy Madison, Best Men, and Half Baked) that she decided to turn to drama-and ended up making Crossroads, the movie that began, and thankfully ended, the film career of Britney Spears.

CB4, despite being the bumblebee of the film industry, works because it takes the strengths of both of these two people and works them together in a way one wouldn't quite expect them to work. Rock because this is the closest thing to one of his standup routines you can imagine-it's a straight satire on rap culture, with the same kind of rapid-fire delivery Rock (who also co-wrote the script) uses onstage, treading a lot of the same ground. All the screenwriters did was dramatize it. Since it's a rockumentary, a music video director makes perfect sense to helm the thing, but here's where it gets tricky. Did Davis mean to shower quite as much venom on her own profession as she does here, or did she not quite understand what she was getting herself into when she took the project on? Because if you're going to rip on rap culture, ripping on music videos is going to be a big part of that, and from the very first video shoot in the film to the very last, the humor is at its harshest in those scenes. (The second and third funniest scenes in the movie-the clips from the solo videos made by Dead Mike [Allen Payne, who also came up in New Jack City] and Stab Master Arson [Cool As Ice's Deezer D, who the year after this would pick up a fifteen-year gig on the TV show ER].) I don't know the answer to that, but whatever the case, the savagery works, and a very good movie came out of it. And when I say "very good", I mean "this movie is so bulletproof that even the appearance of Chris Elliott can't sink it". (While Chris Elliott has won four Emmys for his writing on Late Night with David Letterman, his career in front of the screen has produced such classics as Cabin Boy and Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps.)

This is not to say it doesn't have its problems, most of which have to do with the movie's pace (which could probably have been streamlined by removing an unnecessary subplot or two). And while Chris Elliott may not have been able to sink the movie, his very appearance in it does cast a dark cloud. But still, this is a very funny movie when it's on its game. Too bad that doesn't happen more regularly here. *** 1/2
½ July 16, 2011
Sweat from mah ballls
March 23, 2011
Straight out of low cash
JTB
½ October 5, 2010
NWA mockumentary/... it was just ok... not great but just ok