Cedar Rapids - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cedar Rapids Reviews

October 9, 2015
I have committed a literal crime in not having purchased this movie yet.
½ January 18, 2011
I really hate all these dry office comedies that are common place today. Films like Office Space and shows like The Office and Community, make me wonder if the people who watch this stuff are truly brain dead to what real comedy is anymore. I assumed that Cedar Rapids would be another of these films, but there is a difference, Ed Helms. Even before he was in films like the Hangover, I thought this guy was hilarious, and I am a great admirer of his work, so I gave this film a shot. Helms plays Tim Lippy, an insurance agent who went right from High School to being an insurance agent. He has never been anywhere, never done anything, and is completely oblivious to the world outside his office. That all changes when Tim is sent to represent his firm at a Midwest insurance conference in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Alone and exposed for the first time in his life, Tim has a hard time just fitting in an letting loose, so he does what every insurance agent does, and turns to drugs, alcohol, and prostitutes. Cedar Rapids is the second film from Miguel Arteta, whose first film, Youth In Revolt, also surprised me. Neither of these films are the type of comedy I enjoy, but somehow Arteta has the magic touch. Cedar Rapids had me laughing to the point of tears, something that almost never happens, and for once, I saw how these ordinary, everyday situations could be funny. As for the star, Ed Helms, he was just amazing, his extreme anxiety and taking every emotion to it's absolute extreme just gets me every time. Cedar Rapids isn't your typical comedy and even after seeing the preview, I was convinced that it would be terrible, but the combination of Miguel Arteta and Ed Helms make this film a must see comedy classic.
½ June 16, 2015
The idea is fine - a shy underachieving insurance salesman goes to a convention in the big city (of Cedar Rapids?). But I found the movie painful to watch.
½ August 6, 2011
Funny, likeable, and it doesn't drag or make you cringe when it's not being funny. Though it does lean a little too heavily on cliché, especially "dumb rube in the big city". Helms is kind of a non-entity, especially as a lead, but he's surrounded with interesting character actors, so it doesn't really matter.
March 2, 2013
Cedar Rapids is short on laughs, but in the end it is elevated by its amount of heart.
August 10, 2011
one of the worst movies Maries ever picked..... and one of the worst movies I've seen in a while.... made Dinner for Schmucks look like The 40-Year-Old Virgin... lets see - Ed Helms sucked... John C. Reilly blew... Anne Heche was, uh, herself... lots of f*@ktastic cameos: Red from That 70's Show, Maeby from Arrested Development, Rob Corddry, & that Time Warner Cable commercial/Kurt's Dad from Glee guy.....
½ January 30, 2015
The cast and characters are riveting and while there is much to laugh over alongside the growth of the characters it comes alongside some of the crudest, foul, drunken, drugged and sexualized scripts you can squeeze into an insurance convention.
½ January 30, 2015
Flawed, certainly, but refreshing and fun with a great performance from John C. Reilly. Full review later.
December 3, 2014
Has a great blend of quirkiness without being in-your-face-quirky, and is just a hilarious Helms/Reilly vehicle. Plus it has heart if you're into that.
½ November 30, 2014
Bland garbage of cosmic proportions, couldn't force myself to watch this till the end. Please save your time and look for something else. not worth trading 2 hours for it.
½ October 28, 2014
A great performance from Ed Helms in a familiar role, "Cedar Rapids" unfortunately suffers from a tonally complex screenplay and an uninteresting plot.
October 23, 2014
This comedy works because Ed Helms's milk-toast character never feels like a put on. We believe he's actually the kind of guy who would say '"Gosh Darn it" instead of God Damn it .
September 30, 2014
I tried to watch this on two seperate occasions but it's way too boring. Maybe it gets better but I can't watch past 30 minutes.
½ October 9, 2014
Quirky, dry, at times vulgar, but this story of a coming-of-age insurance salesman (yes...I wrote that) played by the seemingly typecast Ed Helms as a naive, middle-aged man learning about love and business while trying to maintain his integrity and heart-of-gold. About as unreal as it gets, the story is adorable and sweet with well-written characters played by a talented ensemble including John C. Reilly, Isiah Whitlock and Anne Heche. This threesome embraces young-at-heart Tim Lippe while also learning a bit about themselves and the lives they've allowed themselves to get sucked into as tacky insurance salespeople. The result is a warped moral and an unlikely happy ending.
½ September 29, 2014
Cedar Rapids is just hilarious. With all these Insurance competitions, and does it in a way of comedy with Helms and Reilly in it, I was just having fun. I was thinking this film could have been more better. A much better second half could possibly hits its spot. But overall its a very good and recommended comedy flick offered by Arteta.
August 23, 2012
Fails to live up to the sum of its parts. not sure why any studio would fight to make this story.
July 27, 2012
The laughs were few and far between, but actually got better towards the end. An average comedy with some noteworthy scenes.
½ November 4, 2012
(First and only viewing - 11/4/2012)
½ July 17, 2014
Has enough laughs and a good pacing to it to make it an enjoyable comedy.
July 16, 2014
It was ok. Expected a bit more