Cedar Rapids - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cedar Rapids Reviews

February 7, 2011
This is the Andy Bernard spinoff movie you didn't want, but Ed Helms is a funny lead that gets caught up in the surprisingly dirty world of insurance.
½ April 26, 2016
Man must go on business trip and stay in a hotel. What a drag man.
March 2, 2016
Brilliantly funny and endearingly sweet
½ October 17, 2011
Funny, quirky, not quite memorable, but certainly to be enjoyed, especially for Reilly chewing the scenery.
October 9, 2015
I have committed a literal crime in not having purchased this movie yet.
April 5, 2012
Pretty funny, hilarious John C. Reilly
½ July 27, 2015
Funny and irresistible, Cedar Rapids may in some ways be a hard R comedy, but yet is has heart.
½ January 18, 2011
I really hate all these dry office comedies that are common place today. Films like Office Space and shows like The Office and Community, make me wonder if the people who watch this stuff are truly brain dead to what real comedy is anymore. I assumed that Cedar Rapids would be another of these films, but there is a difference, Ed Helms. Even before he was in films like the Hangover, I thought this guy was hilarious, and I am a great admirer of his work, so I gave this film a shot. Helms plays Tim Lippy, an insurance agent who went right from High School to being an insurance agent. He has never been anywhere, never done anything, and is completely oblivious to the world outside his office. That all changes when Tim is sent to represent his firm at a Midwest insurance conference in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Alone and exposed for the first time in his life, Tim has a hard time just fitting in an letting loose, so he does what every insurance agent does, and turns to drugs, alcohol, and prostitutes. Cedar Rapids is the second film from Miguel Arteta, whose first film, Youth In Revolt, also surprised me. Neither of these films are the type of comedy I enjoy, but somehow Arteta has the magic touch. Cedar Rapids had me laughing to the point of tears, something that almost never happens, and for once, I saw how these ordinary, everyday situations could be funny. As for the star, Ed Helms, he was just amazing, his extreme anxiety and taking every emotion to it's absolute extreme just gets me every time. Cedar Rapids isn't your typical comedy and even after seeing the preview, I was convinced that it would be terrible, but the combination of Miguel Arteta and Ed Helms make this film a must see comedy classic.
June 22, 2014
The humor was a bit raunchy and only had funny moments because of O'Reily. Pretty so so movie overall
July 1, 2015
I don't understand one iota the negative reviews of this film. It's simple, fun & hilarious. And one of John C. Reilly's best roles. He is comedic gold and his lines are just as quotable as anything I can think of. Genius film with a great mood to it. And it gets better with multiple viewings. Don't think twice. This film is awesome.
½ June 23, 2015
with some funny moments, and soild proformamces from ed helms and the rest of the the cast this movie is worth a watch if you like movies with heart.
½ June 16, 2015
The idea is fine - a shy underachieving insurance salesman goes to a convention in the big city (of Cedar Rapids?). But I found the movie painful to watch.
½ August 6, 2011
Funny, likeable, and it doesn't drag or make you cringe when it's not being funny. Though it does lean a little too heavily on cliché, especially "dumb rube in the big city". Helms is kind of a non-entity, especially as a lead, but he's surrounded with interesting character actors, so it doesn't really matter.
March 2, 2013
Cedar Rapids is short on laughs, but in the end it is elevated by its amount of heart.
August 10, 2011
one of the worst movies Maries ever picked..... and one of the worst movies I've seen in a while.... made Dinner for Schmucks look like The 40-Year-Old Virgin... lets see - Ed Helms sucked... John C. Reilly blew... Anne Heche was, uh, herself... lots of f*@ktastic cameos: Red from That 70's Show, Maeby from Arrested Development, Rob Corddry, & that Time Warner Cable commercial/Kurt's Dad from Glee guy.....
½ January 30, 2015
The cast and characters are riveting and while there is much to laugh over alongside the growth of the characters it comes alongside some of the crudest, foul, drunken, drugged and sexualized scripts you can squeeze into an insurance convention.
½ January 30, 2015
Flawed, certainly, but refreshing and fun with a great performance from John C. Reilly. Full review later.
November 22, 2011
Effin' hilarious. You should definitely think about adding this gem to your Netflix queue. :)
December 11, 2014
Ample raunch, Helms' salt-of-the-earth trustworthiness, and overwhelming sweetness give Cedar Rapids enough leg to still overcome its formulaic tendencies.