Center Stage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Center Stage Reviews

October 30, 2007
Really good dance movie. Great look into ballet. Loved it.
January 25, 2016
Center Stage's plot revisits common Dance movie conventions to a barely middling effect, but fans of this type with enjoy it as the centerpiece dance numbers are perfectly on point.
December 31, 2015
Like Empire Records before it, Center Stage is a coming of age story that didn't do very well with the critics but has developed somewhat of a dedicated fanbase over the years who love it for what it is. Unlike Empire, the flaws in Center Stage are a lot more apparent, but I still enjoy it for its relatable characters even i some things like dialogue and plot aren't quite up to par.

The film follows multiple teens who've been accepted into the prestigious ABA ballet training program. Various descriptions online would have you believe that the film follows the lives of twelve main characters, and while that number is true to some extent, the film actually follows only about three characters with the other nine characters only appearing where the other three's stories dictate. The school is headed over by a pre-OC Peter Gallagher who plays somewhat of a seedy taskmaster who will ultimately decide these teens future.

I like the film, because the characters are relatable and come off as "real". The film does some smart things to aid this along the way. For one thing, in addition to the twelve principals, there are a number of other characters who repeatedly appear and who are instantly familiar to the main cast, which gives the allusion that the world of the movie exists beyond what's on the screen in front of you. In addition, although definitely appearing as the film's antagonist Peter Gallagher's Johnathan, is written in a way that we understand where he's coming from. and his role is only dictated by his job

Overall, the film is just fun, and it has a great soundtrack too which serves as a perfect time capsule of the pop landscape circa 2000.
December 28, 2014
Probably one of my favorite dance movies. It's just so heartfelt. And it has Zoe Saldana. Nice dancing. Cute story.
½ November 12, 2014
½ July 30, 2014
Pretty cheesy but has great dancing, and just enough inspiration.
May 26, 2014
Such a great movie. Shows us to never give up on your dreams.
½ March 30, 2014
Engaging at times, mostly cliche; drags.
August 11, 2013
Two things stand out for Center Stage. Firstly I remember that the plot seemed peripheral to the dancing.

The other thing, was that when Center Stage has been shown on network television in my country, it is promoted as a "Number One Box Office Hit." This was due to Center Stage being released at the same time that the Sydney Olympic Games were on, and there was little else to go and see.
July 20, 2013
loved this when i was a tween!
May 14, 2013
one of the best chick flicks ever made
March 4, 2013
this is one of my favs
March 3, 2013
Not a well-known movie but it is definitely one of my Top 5. I could watch it over and over again. I wish some of the actors would pursue acting instead of just ballet. They're all very good! :)
March 2, 2013
Terrible acting (by actual dancers) great dancing and music....still very entertaining story. I always enjoy this movie.
February 2, 2013
The movie tells you not to be afraid to be who you are. It's impressive. Dance scenes are great.
½ February 3, 2013
Not as compelling as it could've been, this is more like a teen soap opera with typical scenarios filling up the plot: the pushy parent, an eating disorder, a sleazy boyfriend, the rebel...

On the plus side, it is a good-looking piece, with some likable cast members doing their best with the material, and features an excellent, fresh ballet performance in the finale.
January 30, 2013
A formulaic and forgettable movie.
½ December 20, 2012
This movie was very unintentionally funny. It wasn't bad. In fact, it was a fairly decent dance movie. But the "hot stud" was such a laughable, undesirable character.
December 15, 2012
One of my favorite movies! A great little romance that perfectly fits the title, "chick flick."