Centurion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Centurion Reviews

½ November 18, 2015
Based on the legend of the Ninth Legion, Centurion is an action-packed historical thriller. After a devastating attack by the Picts a Roman governor sends the Ninth Legion into the northern territory of Britain to destroy the Pict tribe; but the campaign goes badly, leaving only a handful of survivors to struggle to avoid capture and make it back to the Roman lines. Starring Michael Fassbender, Olga Kurylenko, Imogen Poots, and Dominic West, the film has a solid cast. And it's beautifully shot, with sweeping landscapes and authentic looking costumes and sets. However, the violence is a little too gratuitous in its gore, and it takes a while for the story to get going. Overall, Centurion is a fairly run-of-the-mill action film and doesn't really have much ambition.
½ November 13, 2011
- I had seen this before and enjoyed it, but was distracted by the CGI blood. This time I just really enjoyed it as an action film. The opening shot pulled me in and I was with the movie the whole time. When I saw it before, I hadn't yet seen Fassbender as "Magneto" or many other roles so it was nice seeing it being more familiar with him now. Same for Imogen Poots. The cinematography is gorgeous. Definitely recommended!

- I really wanted to like this one, had a cool premise with interesting actors and decent genre director, but it just didn't fully work for me. One major issue I had with it was the excessive use of CGI blood, it was very violent with the CGI blood flying everywhere and it always pulled me out of the film. Fassbender was good in his role, can't wait to see him as "Magneto"!
½ October 26, 2015
The chase across the baron atmospheric lands of wild northern Europe makes for an appealing visual experience. The actual story is not overly invigorating as the top and tail of why this is happening is weak and merely sets up a sequel rather than giving any significance to the film.
October 22, 2015
whoever wrote the dialogue, never went to school...unbelievably bad
June 21, 2011
It seems there has been a rash of this sort of period "Romans vs Savages in northern Britain" popping up (is this the UK version of a western?), all of which are brutal and gritty and grey but also familiar and obvious and forgettable. "Centurion" has a great cast, which helps, but the story makes the performances seem almost two dimensional. There is only so much the actors can do. If you liked films like "The Eagle" and "King Arthur" then this may be your thing. Otherwise, skip it.
August 11, 2015
B-grade hack and slay film, but rather entertaining especially with the performance of Michael Fassbender to raise its level just a little higher.
November 10, 2010
Excluding his strong work in television, Neil Marshall's post "The Decent" directing career has been rather depressing. Here, he has assembled a potentially entertaining action thriller only to fill it with cliche after cliche.
November 6, 2010
Mmmm....Michael Fassbender and J.J. Feild. Oh wait, Noel Clarke? Really? Ok, that should be interesting...and David Morrissey, hm. Dominic West, now he might be pretty good. I fully expect the movie to suck.
February 9, 2015
Opens strong but becomes rather dull and predictable as it carries on. Dommic West is in top form here.
February 3, 2015
Both Roger Ebert and Scott Tobias (Onion A.V. Club) are spot on in their reviews of this movie. It's entertaining but mostly for the blood and gore violence and some decent shots of ancient warfare in the highlands of Scotland.
½ January 17, 2015
"This is neither the beginning nor end of my story" Centurion answers the question of what happened to the ninth legion. Its full of violence, blood, and history. Michael Fassbender performs very well as a roman hero. The rest of the cast performs admirably enough. The plot is thin, but intriguing. The movie brings to mind films like King Arthur or The Eagle, yet surpasses it easily, falling right underneath excellent tales like Gladiator, Braveheart, or Kingdom of Heaven (d.c.). If a fan of the genre, one will enjoy.
½ December 3, 2014
This movie is pure, unadulterated garbage.
November 29, 2014
My type of movie: historical action with characters you can relate to, blurred lines between good and evil, and a little unforced romance thrown into the mix. Fassbender is terrific, Kurylenko does a great job without dialogue, and despite her unfortunate name, Imogen Poots is a beauty with acting skills. Surround all this with awesomely choreographed battle scenes and you've got a product that blew me away. Wonderful.
December 22, 2010
saker som inte stämde tyckte jag... hm... nåt som störde... :P
½ October 28, 2014
Sucks, movie is just An excuses for bloody scènes, there is no storyline.
½ September 4, 2014
48%
Centurion is bloody fun but lags too much for a second watch.
August 11, 2014
58%
Mostly boring but well-made.
½ August 4, 2014
The script just thuds along.
July 22, 2014
After the HBO series Rome, it must be really difficult to come up with a movie about Rome that can come close to the quality of the series (in story or production). This is very reminiscent of another recent movie set during the Roman Empire, The Eagle, and like that film, it is very generic and unmemorable. When you waste both Michael Fassbender and Dominic West, you know your movie has problems. There just isn't much of a story to care about, that its main problem. It has a great cast and good director, but it just doesn't go anywhere interesting.
½ June 8, 2014