Centurion Reviews

February 9, 2015
Opens strong but becomes rather dull and predictable as it carries on. Dommic West is in top form here.
February 3, 2015
Both Roger Ebert and Scott Tobias (Onion A.V. Club) are spot on in their reviews of this movie. It's entertaining but mostly for the blood and gore violence and some decent shots of ancient warfare in the highlands of Scotland.
½ January 17, 2015
"This is neither the beginning nor end of my story" Centurion answers the question of what happened to the ninth legion. Its full of violence, blood, and history. Michael Fassbender performs very well as a roman hero. The rest of the cast performs admirably enough. The plot is thin, but intriguing. The movie brings to mind films like King Arthur or The Eagle, yet surpasses it easily, falling right underneath excellent tales like Gladiator, Braveheart, or Kingdom of Heaven (d.c.). If a fan of the genre, one will enjoy.
½ December 3, 2014
This movie is pure, unadulterated garbage.
November 29, 2014
My type of movie: historical action with characters you can relate to, blurred lines between good and evil, and a little unforced romance thrown into the mix. Fassbender is terrific, Kurylenko does a great job without dialogue, and despite her unfortunate name, Imogen Poots is a beauty with acting skills. Surround all this with awesomely choreographed battle scenes and you've got a product that blew me away. Wonderful.
December 22, 2010
saker som inte stämde tyckte jag... hm... nåt som störde... :P
½ October 28, 2014
Sucks, movie is just An excuses for bloody scènes, there is no storyline.
½ September 4, 2014
48%
Centurion is bloody fun but lags too much for a second watch.
August 11, 2014
58%
Mostly boring but well-made.
½ August 4, 2014
The script just thuds along.
July 22, 2014
After the HBO series Rome, it must be really difficult to come up with a movie about Rome that can come close to the quality of the series (in story or production). This is very reminiscent of another recent movie set during the Roman Empire, The Eagle, and like that film, it is very generic and unmemorable. When you waste both Michael Fassbender and Dominic West, you know your movie has problems. There just isn't much of a story to care about, that its main problem. It has a great cast and good director, but it just doesn't go anywhere interesting.
½ June 8, 2014
Love the gory details
TheDudeLebowski65
June 2, 2014
Centurion is an average movie with good performances and it's a film that could have been much better considering its subject. I found the film to focus more on visual style than story, and it's a great shame because this film really could have stood out. I liked the film, but I expected a bit more as well as I have a great interest in the Romans. If you're like me, don't expect this one to be an accurate portrait of the Romans, because it's far from it, it'[s an action film first and foremost and it takes liberties to make this enjoyable for the viewer. The film had some good ideas as far as the story is concerned, but it kind of feels rushed a bit too. Centurion should have been better and though I found it entertaining, I really felt something was missing to make this a truly memorable film. The film is worth seeing due to well constructed action, which the film has plenty of, and the performance of Michael Fassbender. However, the plot just seems unfocused at times, and it loses steam halfway through the film, and that's where the action really makes you forget that the film average. The film is no Gladiator, and it should be seen as mindless popcorn action, which is what in the end this film is about. Centurion isn't awful, or mediocre, but it should have been better too. Fans of historical epics, might be disappointed in this film, but for action fans, there's still plenty to enjoy if you can forget the lacking story and average ton e of the film. Centurion is, despite its imperfections good entertainment that is average considering the potential the film possessed.
May 26, 2014
We love this movie, you guys got this one all wrong !
October 22, 2011
ako mne sa to pacilo, je ked ten dej bol dost priehladny a od isteho momentu som uz presne vedel ako to skoci, co ale bolo horsie dokonca som vedel predvidat sceny.... ale inak pozeratelny film 3/5
½ January 29, 2014
"Centurion" totally wastes its talented cast with a dull script and poorly constructed action.
April 18, 2014
Another in a long line of "historical" action films that rely far too heavily on CGI and blood splatter and forget to give an engaging plot line, "Centurion" does have a decidedly British feel to it.

Set in northern England, where native tribes battle with the Roman Empire for supremacy in the region, "Centurion" focuses on a broken Roman legion, featuring Michael Fassbender and the leader of the survivors, Dominic West as their fallen leader, Olga Kurylenko as a woman tracking them with intent to kill, and Noel Clarke, David Morrissey, Liam Cunningham and some other people as a raft of interchangeable other Roman people who mainly walk behind Fassbender for the majority of the film. There's also some guy who has ulterior motives, but what those are, the film seems to forget to tell us.

A highly boring film that really brings nothing new to an already stale genre.
½ March 27, 2014
I had posted this on IMDB. Moving it here to be in one place. (21 August 2010)

A new way in making epic movies exciting

I dare you find another movie -- about an unknown, undocumented event in the ancient history -- that is made to be as exciting as this one. I'm not talking about the Trojn war, or the story of knights of the round table that you've heard a million times since your childhood.

This movie has everything from large battles to small ones to one-on-ones in the context of betrayal and a bit of romance. Had this been done with the big budgets of Hollywood and its big names it would have got a perfect 10. Not that Fassbender, West, and Cunnigham didn't do an excellent job already.

I've already watched it 3 times and i'm still looking forward to watching it a few more times. With short sequences and bursts of bloody fights and struggles, with some execellent score bringing you on to the next scene, it resonates what Bourne Identity did to ordinary spy movies -- not to taken out of the context of course.

Enjoy!
½ June 2, 2010
Not Bad, dengan gaya kejar-kejaran ala Lord Of The Ring
March 7, 2014
Save your time and just watch Gladiator again.