Five Favorite Films with Max Winkler

The writer-director of Ceremony on his favorite movies and making his feature debut.

First-time writer-director director Max Winkler isn't a household name like his dad, but that may very well change in the future. The 27-year-old son of Happy Days' star and producer Henry Winkler has several buzzed-about projects in the works, including the comedy The Adventurer's Handbook, starring Jason Schwartzman, Jason Segel and Jonah Hill, the intriguingly-titled fantasy The Ornate Anatomy of Living Things, and a film he's written with Jason Reitman attached to direct, Whispers in Bedlam.

Reitman also serves as executive producer to Winkler's directorial debut released this week, the comedy-drama Ceremony, in which precocious fantasist Michael Angarano crashes a wedding to pursue his older ex, played by Uma Thurman. An impressive debut, the film exhibits the influences of Wes Anderson, Hal Ashby and Noah Baumbach -- which is a good thing -- and it's something that Winkler is the first to admit.

"The Squid and the Whale changed my life when I saw it," Winkler says of Baumbach's 2005 movie. "Just in how you could have these great characters and not be so easy on them all the time. The Jeff Daniels character is one of my favorite characters on film: he believes in the myth of himself rather than who he really is, and I think that's apropos for [Angarano's character]."

Winkler says he wrote the film, at Reitman's urging, from a personal place. "He's sort of the worst parts of myself," he laughs, referring to Angarano's protagonist. "It's a really honest portrayal of what you're like in that young, reckless part of your life; you feel everything almost too much, and you feel like you have the monopoly on all the world's suffering and heartbreak and pain."

The director likens his experience to that of Reitman, who also had to work in the shadow of a famous father. "I think that's one of the reasons that we probably work so hard and produce movies at a young age," he explains, "immediately trying to get past the misconception. We saw our fathers work that hard, and we wanted to get right out of the gate and make something that was particularly us."

We asked Winkler to submit his Five Favorite Films... and here they are.

Paper Moon (1973, 90% Tomatometer)

Tremendously influential to me, especially in regards to Ceremony. The writing, the tone, the camerawork, the happy and sad moments; often playing against each other at the same time. Bogdanovich blows my mind continuously.

The Last Detail (1973, 92% Tomatometer)

Probably the seminal movie in regards to what it means to be a man in changing times. Hal Ashby is one of the great legends of tone and emotion without it ever feeling too forced. A movie that also argues the important point: "It's just as easy to get it the way you want."

Stardust Memories (1980, 71% Tomatometer)

I could choose any of Woody Allen's movies and would be able to sleep well at night. A true master of cinema and way more of a director's director than people give him credit for, especially in his collaborations with the great cameraman Gordon Willis. With the exception of Hannah and Her Sisters and Manhattan, Stardust Memories has always left me the most emotional.

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou (2004, 53% Tomatometer)

When I was 13 years old my father took me to see the matinee showing of Bottle Rocket at the AMC Century City theaters. At our lunch following the picture, I proclaimed to my father with great certainty that all I wanted to do in life was to make movies. All of Wes's movies have had a tremendous impact and influence on my generation but I believe his 4th film, The Life Aquatic, is perhaps his most underrated and in many ways the funniest. Everybody needs an Esteban in their life...

The Bad News Bears (1976, 98% Tomatometer)

In my humble opinion this movie is perfection. It's a summer blockbuster for kids where the authority figure, played flawlessly by Walter Matthau, drinks beer with bourbon as he drives, like, 10 kids in his five seat car.

Ceremony is in select theaters this week.

Comments

Stephen B.

Stephen Bloom

As soon as I saw his name I was hoping it was Fonzie's son. Good list; can't believe Stardust Memories' RT meter is so low, it was a great flick.

Apr 7 - 06:34 PM

Noah S.

Noah Simon

Well, mostly a great list.
I am a huge fan of Wes Anderson and love Royal Tenenbaums, however, I can't say that the Life Aquatic is as good. It was trying to be too much like its predecessor.
Overal good choices, but I don't think I'll see Ceremony with such a low tomato meter.

Apr 7 - 06:48 PM

iheartjacksparrow

Fay Popejoy

I'm a fan of any movie with Michael Gambon.

Apr 7 - 07:11 PM

Paul N.

Paul Neusch

ug.. tenenbaums is a bit overrated in my book and the life aquatic is near perfection. i've noticed that difference in people though. you probably like magnolia.. i couldn't fucking stand magnolia, but the tenenbaum over life aquatic crowd seem to go nuts for it.

Apr 8 - 01:29 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

Magnolia is Paul Thomas Anderson, not Wes.

...I'm assuming you got them mixed up? I could be wrong.

Apr 8 - 04:52 PM

kalikoda

nick c

Life Aquatic is brilliant! The rest i'm not so sure of, but no doubt he is more film savvy than I.

Apr 7 - 06:51 PM

Dan G.

Dan Gallagher

I agree!
I thought Life Aquatic was strong. A bit surprising it's rating is like a split. But I guess it makes sense, from the people I've talked to about it. Classic audience splitter. Count me on the "it's brilliant" side.

Also:
Spider-Man vs. Gozer the Destructor

Apr 10 - 05:35 AM

Dan G.

Dan Gallagher

I agree!

Also:
Spider-Man vs. Gozer the Destructor

Apr 10 - 05:36 AM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

I've seen better lists, but then again it is "his" choice so I can't hold it against him. Good job Mr. Winkler.

Apr 7 - 07:01 PM

Paul N.

Paul Neusch

why did you use quotations there? is it actually someone else's choice?

Apr 8 - 01:37 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

I think he meant them to be read like italics.

Apr 8 - 03:05 PM

iheartjacksparrow

Fay Popejoy

I'm a fan of any movie with Michael Gambon.

Apr 7 - 07:11 PM

bassbait t.

bassbait the monkey

Weird choices. I like the inclusion of a Hal Ashby movie, but I'm only ever reading these lists holding out for a Kubrick movie to be referenced. That's why Nick Cage is my favorite thus far, he named 2001 AND A Clockwork Orange.

Oh, and I think James Cameron referenced 2001. Also, Toy Story 3's director mentioned The Shining.

All great films, he's my favorite director, and it's interesting to hear people in the business commenting on the director that solely inspired my wanting to be a film director.

If you want to see how that's turned out so far - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc7o0sVCbmw

But I also have to respect the son of Henry Winkler, after all, Henry Winkler was in ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT.

Apr 7 - 09:19 PM

redrooster0

Charlie Voelker

hahahaha Barry Zuckercorn reference, gotta love it

Apr 9 - 12:36 PM

mike d.

mike dunn

great list. i actually have zissou tattoo, love wes anderson.

Apr 8 - 12:24 AM

Rohit Ramachandran

Rohit Ramachandran

The Last Detail! Haha.

Apr 8 - 03:40 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Couldn't stand The Life Aquatic, only laughed once during the whole movie and that was from the "Revenge" line which was in the previews. The only reason I stuck around for the whole thing was because I kept thinking "This has to get funnier, it's Bill Murray for God's sake."...sadly it didn't. I had to go home and watch Caddyshack/Stripes/Ghostbusters and Kingpin on a continuous loop to feel clean again.

Apr 8 - 07:15 AM

Paul N.

Paul Neusch

poor soul. life aquatic isn't a omglol!/rofl! type of movie. it's just an incredible movie if your open to more than just popcorn comedies.

Apr 8 - 01:35 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

So it's a comedy that's not meant to be funny? That would explain it. Silly I guess to expect a comedy to make me laugh. Epic movie must have been a comedy classic then. Also it only got a 53% on the meter so even by the standards of pretentious comedy it wasn't great.

Apr 8 - 04:22 PM

Hola Amigo

First off I'm not quite sure how Epic Movie has anything to do with it. Life Aquatic is a deadpan comedy, so that just might not be your type of humor.
And I still can't understand why people still put so much emphasis on a tomatometer number. If that determines a good or bad movie for you then you aren't very opionated. Life aquatic has cult popularity status whether you like it or not, as evidenced by the number of people on here who find it underrated and quite enjoyable.

Claus: "Esteban was biten?"
Steve: "EATEN!"
Claus: "Is he dead?"
Steve: "Esteban was EATEN!"
Claus: "He was swallowed whole?"
Steve: "No, chewed! Check the scanning monitor!"
Claus: (turns to camera)"He's got hydrogen-psychosis: crazy-eye!"

Apr 9 - 08:55 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

So critics opinions mean nothing, but a random sampling of people on a critical website do? Ok, I was using epic movie as an example as another movie which failed to make me laugh. It's true that these definately aren't my types of movie, but id question your assertion that Life Aquatic is a cult film. Certainly some other Anderson films have attained that distinction, but Ive heard from a surprising number of Anderson fans that Zissou is by far their least favorite. It made horrible BO even by indie standards. It didn't do well at rental and you almost never see it on TV. I think you may be confusing cult classic with just plain unpopular.

Apr 10 - 02:23 PM

Hola Amigo

"It didn't do well at rental and you almost never see it on TV." - You must be the only remaining person who considers rental figures a substantial determiner or anything anymore. You must still think people use VHS. Hardly anyone does traditional "renting" of movies in this day in age, for many reasons but I'll just give you one: NETFLIX. And as for TV, I'm not very surprised that Life Aquatic doesn't fit the bill for dime-a-dozen romcom tv marathons. You also seem to forget that TV isn't a great determiner either anymore. Anyone with the internet knows you can find over 90% of current shows online with limited commercials. I also never called the film a cult classic, but it certainly has a dedicated following when considering its disproportionate B.O. numbers. It also has good word-of-mouth, like any cult movie. These things would make it a cult film, just not by your dated standards.

Apr 10 - 08:40 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Life Aquatic also came out significantly before the Netflix boom. SO PLEASE, explain where you've come to your conclusions. So far, you've admitted it did poorly at the BO, got mediocre critical reception and didn't do well in rentals or DVD/Blu-Ray market sales. So basically you've got your opinion and the opinions of half a dozen RT comments and your friends who if they're anything like mine are your movie going friends because they have similar taste to you. Also, even though I concede Netflix is now the standard, rental figures are still a valid indicator because even though fewer people rent, it's still an even playing field so poor rental figures are still going to equal poor Netflix figures. People aren't just going to magically say since I use Netflix I'm going to change my taste in movie's or if I was going to rent I'd have picked up Rambo, but since I'm Netflixing I'm going to go with Life Aquatic to somehow deceive the public into thinking it's not nearly as popular as it actually is. Lastly, when I was referring to TV I include HBO, IFC and other pay channels which represent pretty quality fare. I would suggest it's not even on those channels because unlike certain films like Donnie Darko or Anderson's own Royal Tenenbaums you can't even get a significant arthouse audience to watch it because it's literally painfully unfunny.

These comments are expressly the opinions of Bigbrother and do not necessarily reflect the beliefs of Bigbrother Inc. and associated affiliates. Any similarity to real life opinions is purely coincidental.

Apr 11 - 05:37 AM

Hans B.

Hans Bleek

Where are the figures you're referencing? Boxofficemojo.com? Also, Zissou is indeed a cult film because: a) it didn't do significantly well with pedestrian audiences and didn't attract any kind of pop sensationalism and b) is a consummate work of art to which a small but fervent "cult" of film lovers are devoted. Personally I wouldn't put Caddyshack/Stripes/Ghostbusters into the cult status category, they're great films certainly (you'd do well to find anybody who doesn't like said films in fact, which for me is the main reason they are not cult films), but obviously we are of differing opinions about the idea of what it means to be cult. Kingpin is cult. Zissou is cult.

Apr 11 - 04:53 PM

westond

Dan Weston

There is no question that The Life Aquatic is a cult film.

Apr 11 - 11:50 PM

Hola Amigo

Hmm it seems what Big Brother fails to realize is that a film with poor BO and critical reception and still manages a dedicated following (as evidenced once again by the percentage of people on here who agree it is a cult film) is in fact a cult film. You keep bringing up that it doesn't have high BO, rental, or critical numbers yet the film STILL has a great number of dedicated fans. It seems that you, sir, are incompetent and do not understand what a cult film in fact IS. You probably think Terminator is a cult film.
And back to what you misunderstand about NETFLIX. A large part of their library is now streamed over game consoles. This makes up for a fairly large percentage of movie views (it's all I use netflix for). They don't take those numbers into account. Plus you keep forgetting that true cult films are usually discovered through word of mouth. I'd like to point out that Fight Club is one these movies I found out about when I was young, simply from word of mouth. Most people didn't even know about that movie (poor BO). Now it's like every guys favorite movie. THAT is what a cult film is you moron.

Apr 12 - 10:04 AM

Apr 12 - 10:06 AM

Apr 12 - 10:06 AM

Apr 12 - 10:06 AM

Peter W.

Peter Winters

Agreed. A "comedy" that isn't funny is a waste of time. I'd rather watch Epic Movie 100 times than Life Aquatic.

Apr 15 - 09:39 AM

Paul N.

Paul Neusch

Apr 8 - 01:29 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

Magnolia is Paul Thomas Anderson, not Wes.

...I'm assuming you got them mixed up? I could be wrong.

Apr 8 - 04:52 PM

Paul N.

Paul Neusch

Apr 8 - 01:35 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Apr 8 - 04:22 PM

Hola Amigo

Claus: "Esteban was biten?"
Steve: "EATEN!"
Claus: "Is he dead?"
Steve: "Esteban was EATEN!"
Claus: "He was swallowed whole?"
Steve: "No, chewed! Check the scanning monitor!"
Claus: (turns to camera)"He's got hydrogen-psychosis: crazy-eye!"

Apr 9 - 08:55 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Apr 10 - 02:23 PM

Apr 10 - 08:40 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Apr 11 - 05:37 AM

Hans B.

Hans Bleek

Apr 11 - 04:53 PM

westond

Dan Weston

There is no question that The Life Aquatic is a cult film.

Apr 11 - 11:50 PM

Apr 12 - 10:04 AM

Apr 12 - 10:06 AM

Apr 12 - 10:06 AM

Apr 12 - 10:06 AM

Paul N.

Paul Neusch

why did you use quotations there? is it actually someone else's choice?

Apr 8 - 01:37 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

I think he meant them to be read like italics.

Apr 8 - 03:05 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

I think he meant them to be read like italics.

Apr 8 - 03:05 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office