43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Certified Copy (Copie Conforme) Reviews

Harlequin68
Harlequin68

June 28, 2013
"Cerified Copy" is quite simply a walk and talk movie.(Since this is also an Abbas Kiarostami movie, there is also a car involved. Which is about the only innovation he brings to the table here.) And there's nothing wrong with that but this only works if you have something to say. Well, James Miller(William Shimell) thinks he might, considering he has just written a book about copies. He tries to express his ideas to an unnamed French woman(Juliette Binoche) who is an antique dealer living in Italy with her teenaged son(Adrian Moore). As mismatched as their chemistry is, they give a go at pretending to be a copy of other marriages, after a waitress makes the stereotypical presumption about their being married. But still, little is known about the man and woman's true relationship, giving the story such as it is little firm ground to stand on, in this movie which is nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is and also a meager copy of far superior movies.
June 25, 2013
"How in the heck Juliette Binoche didn't get nominated by the Oscars in this very well-done movie?" Only words that came out of my mouth right after the movie. William Shimell is great too but Binoche owns the hell out of this movie from scene 1.
June 24, 2013
I'm ashamed to admit it but this is the first Abbas Kiarostami film I've seen (don't blame me, blame Netflix) but now that I've had a taste, I've a feeling I'll be back for more. This is a beautiful film about love, intimacy, art and meaning and it's all done with such a delicate, masterful touch. It jumps between multiple languages which can be tricky and is somewhat unnecessary but lucky for me I speak the two that are used primarily. Even though there is much dialogue about art and philosophy, it never feels pretentious and the camerawork is gentle and lingers on a take just as long as it needs to. One of the highlights for me is the short scene where Juliette Binoche is putting on her lipstick and jewelry staring straight into the camera, as if in front of a mirror. Under normal circumstances, a woman is looking at herself while applying makeup, but here she is looking at us, exposed and unflinching, an incredibly intimate moment that has every right to be the poster for this film. The performances are so palpable because the actors are clearly feeling the emotions of the characters and restraining them in a perfectly believable way. One of the best films of our time.
June 2, 2012
You come out of this movie not sure of the beginning, the end & all in between or your interpretation of the conversation & its not because of any intelligence problems on your behalf, it's just the way the director / Writer wanted it to be so try to wrap ur head around the possibilities & enjoy :D

I like lengthy conversations .. and even though I think the pace was a lil bit slow & I had a really hard time making out the french / Italian portions of it but It was enjoyable nonetheless & seemed real to me
May 31, 2013
Charming, wonderful, and creative. Perfect movie to watch on a date.
May 28, 2013
Ah yes, Juliette Binoche of 'Chocolat' fame. She won my heart me back then and is as equally magnificent in this movie. This movie is open to interpretation and will leave you asking questions about the nature of their relationship. Was she once a mistress, a certified copy, of his marriage elsewhere and now meeting many years later? Were they role playing? Were they once married and long since separated? You will have no solid answers but what a wonderful film that addresses different stages of a relationship. Some key scenes in the coffee shop when he is outside on the phone, in the restaurant when they argue, the bride who wants her photograph taken, the final scene and the ringing bell.... plenty of questions but no answers. Loved it. Filmed in a mixture of English, French and Italian as it is set in Tuscany.
May 22, 2013
The confusing make-believe relationship of the leads got me thinking for a long time.
May 10, 2013
Se duce de rapa in ultima juma de ora dar altfel e interesant pentru amestecul de (i)realitate si filozofie
April 23, 2013
I don't think this one is so easy as to fit it into a category of goods or bads. It broke so many of what one would call "rules of storytelling," that it initially left me confused and critical about it's technical nature. But the more I think of it, I really don't know what to make of it and am wonderfully puzzled by it. I don't think there's another movie quite like it.
May 23, 2011
Certified Copy is a masterpiece about what people can invent with conversation. Or it could be about middle-aged second chances? I have no clue what Certified Copy is actually about, but I love it.
April 3, 2013
3.5 stars. Some good moments, a lovely tone overall , but nothing really captivating.
Binoche did a fine job, Shimell did not.
February 23, 2013
Poo-poo's Plato's Perspective with a Possibly Plastic, Powerful Plagiaristic Plunge. Poignant!
April 18, 2011
A realistic moive and really touching. It shows the big lack of communication in a couple in a really special way
March 18, 2013
What's real and what's not, it's hard to figure out in this movie. Are they faking it or are they relieving lost memories? Either way, the way Copie Conforme dissects human relationships is gripping. Also, long winded.
March 17, 2013
Couldn't get into this. Actually turned it off after 20 minutes. Found the conversation dull and pretentious.
March 15, 2013
exactement. exactly. esattamente.
April 25, 2012
Such a strange and boring movie about a couple´s fights
February 1, 2013
Interesting look at the grey area that balances what is real and what we wish it was....
January 2, 2012
Quite simplistic, yet very deep. Too deep to comprehend with one viewing, I'll be checking in again.
January 12, 2013
More often than not, one can find simplest explanations for the most puzzling and seemingly bizarre movies. Such simplicity often gives such films incredible depth. The way I see it, 'Certified Copy' is a heart-breaking story about contemplating the counterfactual, rather than a pretentious flick that some critics make it out to be.