Chalet Girl Reviews

June 20, 2012
I watched this with my daughter, and we both enjoyed it. Very much an enjoyable, British, teenage, romantic comedy...but really well done.
LWOODS04
January 3, 2011
Cast: Felicity Jones, Ed Westwick, Bill Nighy, Brooke Shields, Tamsin Egerton, Bill Bailey, Sophia Bush

Director: Phil Traill

Summary: Ex-skateboarder Kim Matthews is transplanted to the world of alpine sports, an environment she finds foreign ... until she tries snowboarding. When her Finnish friend Mikki offers to coach her, Kim is on her way to being tops in a new event.

My Thoughts: "I didn't really know what this movie was about going into it since I didn't read the summary or watch a trailer on it. You ever do that? Well silly me, I did. So I was surprised by the emotions this film had brought with what I thought was going to be a silly comedy that would pass the time. There was some funny moments, but it was really a more of a sad story about a girl who loses her mother and her biggest cheerleader. After the death of her mother she refuses to pick up a skateboard again but soons picks up the next best thing, a snowboard. Great little movie with much heart as it has comedy with a bit of romance. Not bad acting either."
April 13, 2011
Watched most of this, but just couldn't get into it. The story was just boring to me. Maybe the sports element was putting me off.
Felicity Jones is okay, and Ed Westwick, though I didn't find him all that convincing. I guess the poor little rich boy thing was irritating too here.
Maybe just me. A lot of people seemed to have liked this one.
½ October 6, 2011
What would otherwise be a mindless, sports comedy, the likes of "Grind" or "Out Cold", aimed mostly at the female sex, "Chalet Girl" is wholly saved by the always impressive Felicity Jones, who makes it utterly impossible to not be drawn into her natural radiance and adorable, mousy demeanor. With Bill Nighy, Brooke Shields, Sophia Bush and Ed Westwick rounding out the cast, the film is plucked from its straight-to-dvd nature and given some much needed credibility. Although the scenes involving Jones and her fear of doing jumps is completely overdone and the ending needlessly predictable, giving any reason to have Felicity Jones in the starring role of any film is means enough for me to see it and enjoy it.
June 21, 2013
An OK romcom that totally gets by on Felicity Jones charm. I think she could be a total star if given the chance, she just needs a better male lead and not Ambiguously Asian-looking Young Jude Law Guy. By itself, the movie isn't very good, but again, Felicity Jones has the star power to make it just work.
February 15, 2012
Relatively harmless, Chalet Girl is an 80's-esque, tepidly-romantic, British (wannabe) raunch-com starring Felicity Jones (Like Crazy) as former skateboarding champion, Kim, who now finds herself flipping burgers for a living after the tragic death of her mother. Hoping to earn some more cash, Kim applies for and accepts a job as a "chalet girl" in the Austrian Alps where she discovers snowboarding. Hmmmm ... guess what happens. The rich family she works for has a son (Ed Westwick - Gossip Girl, J. Edgar) and Kim has an assortment of pretty co-workers who like to party and have fun. It is very vintage 80's ... and this hurts Chalet Girl as it isn't meant as an homage to those films. It feels old and tried -- not new and exciting. Although the Alps are beautiful there isn't much more here. It passes the time ...
½ January 12, 2012
I was very pleased with this movie. I didn't expect much, so my liking caught me off-guard. Funny, for the most part. Also, the way they portrayed the scenery and snowboarding, gave the movie another dimension. Hence, a likable movie.
½ December 13, 2011
Chalet Girl has modest ambitions. It doesn't aspire to be a Juno. Its quite content lounging in the "Love Actually" rack of the DVD shop and would giggle and say thanks if you care to pick her up this Christmas for an evening watch. I recommend this film for all my married friends this year!
August 30, 2014
It was good, the movie cover makes it look way worse than it is
May 30, 2014
Loved it! A feel good, cheer you up film, they rarely make them like this anymore! Reminds me of being a chalet girl!
February 18, 2014
Actually really enjoyed it enough to write this. Fun, light, easy going, snowboarding prince finds princess movie....good snowboarding moments.
February 9, 2014
A fun romcom on the slopes. Kim goes from being a total beginner on the slopes to being a championship contender with some romance thrown in and great supporting performances. We always watch this and Hot Tub Time Machine prior to our Ski holiday.
A super film especially for the girls though anyone can enjoy it.
November 20, 2013
This movie tries to be a good romance with some laughs at parts. but the movie came off awkward and unfunny and they did that cliche at the end that she wins the day, everyone loves her, yeah yeah heard it all before.
½ October 25, 2013
A stereotypical sort of movie, but it's one of the few snowboarding movies that actually has a plot so I can't complain too much.
½ September 28, 2013
Felicity Jones is cute. She's like Kristen Stewart, minus the dirty look & a better actress. lol
August 6, 2011
Even Ed Westwick couldn't keep my attention for the whole film. Wouldn't recommend
June 19, 2013
Loved it. Simple as that :)
January 3, 2013
Beautiful scenery, enjoyed the story, the acting, and seeing a female snowboarder featured in a movie.... Also, it was not sappy and saccharin as I feared it might be (well, perhaps a bit :).
½ October 6, 2011