Box Office: Michael Bay Haters Rejoice - The Island Sinks

Summary

Michael Bay haters (I'm not one of them) can cherish this weekend. His newest explosion-fest, The Island, bombed at the box office with an estimated $4.4M on Friday, according to Showbizdata. It took the third spot behind last Friday's chart toppers, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Wedding Crashers. For the weekend, The Island will likely gross $12-14M, making it the worst debut for a Michael Bay film. His average opening for his last five films is an explosive $36M. His last five films also have a spectacular average gross of $147M; The Island, which has a production budget of $120M, will be lucky to make a third of that. Back to Article

Comments

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

They really didn't market this film that well. Look at The Fantasic Four? They have commercials everywhere, video games, TV spots, a contract with Burger King AND Toys. THe Island just didn't really get out there. The trailer has been on TV and in theaters but that's really it. I know this film can't be marketed quite like F4. It's not a superhero movie. I just feel as if they should have at least tried to get a few magazine covers or SOMETHING.

I'll end up seeing it anyway. I really don't give a damn about what critics and other people say about movies. If I see something I think looks appealing, I'll watch it. I hope I don't regret it with this one!

Jul 24 - 12:15 PM

South_park300

First Last

i saw it and it really wasnt that bad. it was rather good actually. im tired of people complaining about michael bay. its really getting old. the big explosions dont even happen until the second half of the movie.
it wasnt as good as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, so I am glad that its number 1 again...although, The Island didnt deserve to bomb. most of the haters on this topic havent even seen the movie, so they have no merit at the moment.

Jul 24 - 01:30 PM

countrycolors1

Eric Hwang

[b]Fantastic 4 vs. The Island....[/b]
I think the reason why Fantastic 4 did so well and The Island didn't is two-fold.

1) This summer has been filled with some really really heavy fare. Batman Begins, War of the Worlds, Revenge of the Sith, and hell, even Mr. and Mrs. Smith isn't really all that light. Fantastic 4 is a big, stupid, goofy movie that actually requires you NOT to think in order to enjoy it. I think that was a breath of fresh air for the blockbuster moviegoing public. And although it doesn't really quite do a good job of it, The Island has some very serious and weighty issues of morality at the heart of it, and I think the public's acceptance of Fantastic 4 and rejection of The Island (as well as a generally poor summer box office), is a sign that movie-goers still want their stupid movies in the summer and their good movies in the winter.

2) The second reason I think the Island bombed as opposed to Fantastic 4 is this. Fantastic 4 does not ever pretend to be anything but the stupid goofy movie that it is. The Island, at least in its opening portions, seems to pretend to be a movie of some social importance, but completely betrays the seriousness of its tone and subject matter with the second half. And I think the moviegoing public generally appreciates a sense of honesty in filmmaking, whether it's bad filmmaking or good.

Jul 24 - 01:48 PM

Twirlnhurl

Ben L

^Very well put.

Jul 24 - 01:59 PM

Fangmeier69

Jonathan Greene

[b]There is a God...[/b]
HAhahahahahahahahahaha...there is justice for movie-goers and Michael Bay.
Sure, you never know what will work - but for months I heard the snickers in theatres when they showed the badly-edited trailer for The Island. For a change, people smelled this one out way ahead. Maybe they will resort to Cinderella Man-type pleading to get the public to come( It's about the future issues of our society!)
Ripping off a half-dozen other, better sci-fi films does not an auteur make. If Bay never directed again I'd be happy - he makes Tony Scott look like Michelangelo Antonioni!
( Unfortunately, he'll probably keep producing crap remakes of good horror films...)

Jul 24 - 02:10 PM

Jaws2004

Kenny Öberg

This movie flopped because it wasn't a sequel, remake or prequel. Well, it may be an uncredited remake of PARTS: THE CLONUS HORROR, but how many have seen that flick?

Jul 24 - 03:09 PM

DoubleJ

Jesse James

[b]PLOT LESS[/b]
The reason this movie bombed was four-fold. Before I lay it out let me tell you that I saw the movie two weeks prior to it's release. We were handed pieces of paper to critique the movie, add what we liked and didn't like. And let me tell you, when that movie was over I threw everything away. I was too disgusted by a movie that I thought might as well have had a "We've got your money now and we don't care sign."

Reason #1

The Plot simply didn't make sense. Wow, I'm a clone, let me go find myself in the real world, okay, now let's go back to the place where we started. The end. People falling off buildings from 70 stories and they are perfectly fine. How can I make that believable in my mind? The bad guy chasing Ewan and Scarlett all over town, suddenly has a change of heart that could never EVER possibly happen, W-w-w-what? Scarlett has a gun and nobody in their right mind thinks to check her? This place has completely inept security, again, how? There are enough plotholes that I could drive through them with a large SUV truck. And don't even get me started on how this plot is virtually identicle to a number of other movies previously mentioned.

Reason #2

Marketing. Now it's true, I enjoyed the PUMA jumpsuits, shoes. The cadillacs, the MSN info machine with the giant MSN and butterfly. Not to mention Scarletts integral plotline as a Calvin Klein model. Better yet, why didn't they just turn off the movie half-way through for a brief intermission and air commercials?

Reason #3

No twist, no surprise. The premise was fairly well known to the public long before the movie came out. When I watched the movie, what I saw was a beginning I already knew and the end conclusion came almost immediately. If there is one great lesson to learn for directors it's to throw in some surprises, some things we didn't see coming. If we can figure it all out from moment one and we're just watching for visual effects, we're not going to be too happy. Remember, plot is important.

Reason #4

When Ewan McGregor does not attend the premiere of a movie about to hit major release, there might be a problem with the movie! As in, it might be bad. The movie theaters that I saw were showing the Island on very few screens as well. Frankly, I'm surprised that the Island managed to do as well as it did pulling a very high 42% average of fresh reviews from rottentomatoes.com - a literally amazing feet.

Jul 24 - 04:07 PM

Obi-wan-jackson

Daniel Cox

[b]Michael Bay is...[/b]
......Michael Bay is a moron

Jul 24 - 04:10 PM

BleeD_MerCurY

Pablo C.

"When Ewan McGregor does not attend the premiere of a movie about to hit major release, there might be a problem with the movie!"

I don't think so. Ewan went to the premieres of "Robots" and Star Wars Episode II", and both of those sucked. The Island was one of the most entertaining movies to come out this summer. The giant car chase is worth the price of admission alone. Seriously, if you can see this car chase and the car chase in 'Bad Boys II' and still say "michael bay is a moron' and 'michael bay sucks', then you're just ignorant. he's obviously a talented guy. he might not work with the best scripts, but his movies are fun, and his action sequences can not be rivaled.

i think the marketing had a lot to do with the movie flopping. us movie buffs already know what to expect from michael bay movies, but to people who don't know anything about his movies probably didn't know what to expect from this movie after the misleading trailers.

i don't think it had anything to do with the story being familiar, because hundreds of formulaic, predictable movies have been profitable in the past.

Jul 24 - 05:32 PM

thedudeabides7

Steve Devlin

I think you can be a moron and still make a flashy and over-the-top car chases. How intelligent do you have to be to say "Ok, now that blows up! Now blow up that car..."

Jul 24 - 07:00 PM

puablo

Josh Jones

[b]you gotta be kidding me[/b]
do you mean the car chase in Bad Boys II with corpses everywhere? Yes I do believe that has genius written all over it... (note the heavy sarcasm)

I think The Island was a good idea, but I knew it was going to be sub-par due to the director, and the reviews confirm it. But just to show how insane the public is, the fact that Fantastic 4 made more money than the Island is completely retarded. I've seen neither, but from the trailers and from the reviews I've seen, I would just imagine that the Island would make more money tan the obvious crap of F4 that's been out for a few weeks now. I'm really surprised.

But in the same sense, it's very justified that it opened below "Chocolate" and "Crashers", both movies appeared to be far superior (and having seen both, I can say they're both great) and it's obvious the public agrees.

Jul 25 - 11:08 AM

thedudeabides7

Steve Devlin

Jul 24 - 07:00 PM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

[b]crap[/b]
um whats this gonna do to the Transformer movie? OH POOPY!

Jul 24 - 07:31 PM

Jaws2004

Kenny Öberg

This will probably only have 1 effect on TRANSFORMERS and that is that Dreamworks will marketing the hell out of that flick. It won't flop though. C'mon! TRANSFORMERS? It will be one of the biggest box office smashes of 2007. Count on it.

Jul 24 - 07:37 PM

Sinizine

Sinizine .

How can people justify this bombing because it wasn't based on something or a remake? Remakes have been the reason this box office is slumping. Marketing had little to do with it either. The only truly heavily marketed movies this summer were Fantastic Four and Star Wars. Charlei and the Chocalate factory had mediocre marketing, but still reigned this 2nd week. Batman begins wasn't heavily marketed, and while it didn't do as well as some had hoped, it didn't do 4 million. And c'mon, Wedding Crashers, an R-rated movie which limits its appeal enough, won over it again. It just means that the Island, and well as the Bad News Bears, are duds, plain and simple. The trailer for the movie gives away too much of the "story" that was supposed to be the smart portion of the movie, so all that's left are the big loud action scenes. When a movie hinges on a plot aspect the way The Island does, and still seems familiar (I remember reading a story that was similar, I haven't seen any movies with the same plot though), of course the drive to see it is limited. This move was simply Bay's attempt at seeming smart, and I think most people saw through it (even if they don;t know who Bay is, the film seems as if it is trying too hard to be a "smart action" movie).

Jul 25 - 12:29 AM

flashbackfl

First Last

[b]This movie was good[/b]
Anyone out there who is contemplating seeing this movie...go for it. These people on here are like snob critics...this movie was just as good as anything else out there this summer (except maybe Batman). Everyone I was with liked this movie alot. It was exciting, humorous, and just plain old good sci-fi. Plus Ewan and Scarlett had a lot of chemistry IMO. I have to admit I have never seen the other movie that many are saying it rips off....so if you have then your take may be different...but I've never even heard of that movie, and I would think the majority of people haven't, so do yourself a favor and see this movie...well worth the money and WAY better then Fantastic Four. This movie is getting a bum rap.

Jul 25 - 07:42 AM

Twirlnhurl

Ben L

I disagree about it being better then Fantastic 4. The Island's action scenes were annoying (for anyone trying to keep track of the plot, anyway) where Fantastic 4's (all 2 of them) were at least somewhat interesting and important for the plot. Plus, dare I say it, Fantastic 4 had better characters we can identify with, where as characters in the Island are just so-so. I still do not buy that Lincon's doner would turn on him. I also don't really buy the mercenary's change of sides or several other character's decisions. In comparison, Ben Grimm changing back into the Thing is only a minor issue. Don't read this and think I loved Fantastic 4, but I did enjoy it more then the Island.

Jul 25 - 08:39 AM

puablo

Josh Jones

[b]you gotta be kidding me[/b]

Jul 25 - 11:08 AM

let it go

Charlie Anderson

I can't say that I'm very surprised by this. If you saw the movie polls the days/weeks before The Island came out on what movies people wanted to see, it was never really that high in the percentages. I think it only got 1% in TRL's summer movie poll.

Jul 25 - 02:24 PM

Prosper761

Brian Bara

[b]Good Movie = Good Box Office[/b]
The industry is complaining about the big b.o. slump. Are they all too stupid to see it's because there have only been 4 movies worth seeing all summer? Remakes, rip-offs and franchise sequels are obviously not what the movie-going public wants to see (especailly when they can wait a few months and rent the DVD for the whole family to watch for less than half the price of a single theater ticket). If producers would start making original, intelligent, well-written, well-directed and well-acted films again, the audiences would return. Instead, we are staying home in droves to avoid schlocky, unscary J-horror remakes and mindless action films with plots as creaky as an old boot.

Jul 25 - 07:25 PM

getluv

D White

how sad. The Island should of done 40+.

Jul 25 - 10:34 PM

EIAC

jason shaheen

[b]WHOA WHOA WHOA[/b]
Ewan is not a big star because of being in those shitty star wars movies. Get your shit straight nerd.

Jul 26 - 05:49 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships