Charlie Chan at Monte Carlo Reviews

September 21, 2011
Ah, the death of Netflix. Well, at least for me. So now I'm going back through my DVD collection, and it's an interesting trip down memory lane. This particular Charlie Chan movie -- I own all of them that are available for purchase -- is an important one since it signals the last one made with Warner Oland in the the titular role. It took a good deal of searching to finally decide on Sidney Toler as the next Chan, and I believe he was a good choice. Still, there is no denying the chemistry between Oland and Keye Luke, nor the fact that if it weren't for the Chan series, Luke might never have had the career he did. If you only watch two Charlie Chan movies, I strongly suggest that it be this one and the one immediately following, Charlie Chan in Honolulu, so you can compare the two best remembered actors to play the honorable detective.
July 13, 2005
THE CHARLIE CHAN FILM SERIES WAS ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR AND SUCCESSFUL SERIES EVER, MOSTLY BECAUSE OF THE QUALITY, FINE ACTING AND CONSISTENTLY ENTERTAINING STORY LINES. THIS IS A GOOD EXAMPLE. NEVER OVERLONG, INTERESTING, FUNNY AND ALWAYS FUN.