• PG-13, 1 hr. 38 min.

Charlie St. Cloud Reviews

Tired of Previews
Tired of Previews

July 18, 2011
Directed by Burr Steers, Universal Pictures, 2010. Starring Zac Efron, Kim Basinger, Charlie Tahan and Ray Liotta.

Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Drama

Question: How many child stars grow up and prove they are actually legitimate actors? There are a handful of names that pops to mind: Jodie Foster, Shia LaBeouf, and Kurt Russell. But I might need to add one to that list now: Zac Efron. Yes, I am serious.

This past weekend I watched Charlie St. Cloud - actually for the second time. I saw it last summer when it was in the theaters but I wasn't reviewing movies back then. Well, at least I wasn't writing down my reviews. I enjoyed the movie then and found it just as quaint this weekend mainly because of Zac Efron and his performance.

Now I was introduced to the singing, dancing actor through a not-so-thrilling venue (well, not thrilling for moi): High School Musical. My daughter was obsessed with this movie when she was five (now nine) so I listened to that movie and the songs over and over and over again. Zac Efron was the star of that movie and my daughter thought he was sooooo cute. Hey, I had some celebrity crushes too that my mother didn't quite understand.

Fast forward four years and Zac Efron is all grown up and starring in Charlie St. Cloud.

The movie starts out with him and his little brother in a sailing race. We soon find out that their family doesn't have the means to really support his sailing dreams but luckily he had received a sailing scholarship to go to college. But even though he has only a summer left before college Charlie likes spending time with his little brother: teaching him the fundamentals of baseball and sharing his older brotherly advice. He and his brother are very close even though they are six years a part. Now where the story goes from here should remain a mystery if you have not seen it yet.

The story takes a sudden and heartbreaking turn that had me in tears (again). There is an unbreakable bond between these two brothers, Charlie (Zac Efron) and Sam (Charlie Tahan). Charlies ends up living with certain consequences that forces him on a different path. But he remains loyal to his little brother.

What surprised me most about this film was the main actor. He really had to portray some powerful emotions and he did that quite well. There are many close-up shots of the blue-eyed young adult that will have all the young girls swoon. Except my daughter: she came in during the movie. She asked if that was Zac. I nodded. She replied "He so old now" and she walked away. Guess you could say she is over that crush.

Anyway, I will say it again. This is a quaint movie with a sweet tale about brotherly love that may be worth your time. I believe Zac Efron will go on to do some pretty wonderful performances in the future.

My favorite thing: I have to say it: Zac Efron.

My least favorite thing: They did try a little too hard to push the boundaries of a believable story.

Random thought: This isn't my only review of one of Zac Efron's performances: Me and Orson Wells.

Rating: PG-13
Length: 99 minutes

Review: 5 out of 10
3niR
3niR

June 28, 2011
I liked Zac Efron's character over here. Although the movie seemed okay to me but the story was really good.
movieguru12
movieguru12

March 7, 2011
I love this movie! :) It was also nice to see Zac Efron in a non disney role for a change as well. Definitely check this movie out & the little boy, Sam (Charlie Tahan) was adorable and great in this movie as well as Tess Carroll (Amanda Crew). Definitely a movie that I plan to watch again :) Don't skip this great, and incredible movie :) I even have While We Were Dreaming on my ipod so I can think of this movie every time I listen to it :) Now I own it on dvd :) Such a beautifully touching movie :) :) :)
Nicki M

June 27, 2010
I watched this after the dull, tedious mess that was The Dilemma, and I would say it probably made this one seem better by default! At least this was entertaining, although I would not go as far as to say it is actually good.
Zac Efron hams it up big time here. He is not all that convincing, attractive, but not convincing! He plays a guy who gets into a car crash with his young brother, from which the brother dies. Wrecked by guilt, he gives up his plans and stays home, where he starts to see his dead brother, who pleads with him not to leave. He also meets a girl, who may or may not be dead herself.
Kind of nice story, not exactly believable and a bit religious in spots for my tastes, but for what it is... fine.. Wasn't expecting a masterpiece, didn't get one, but is a bit of light entertainment.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Heartbreaking! Excellent perfromance from Zac Efron and the rest of the cast! A must see!
jjnxn
jjnxn

November 9, 2010
Somewhat on the gooey side this has nice photography and an earnest lead perfromance by Efron but it also has a high Oh come on! factor.
michael e.
michael e.

February 7, 2011
if most people know me they would know i cant stand Zac Efron, but he pulled off this role well, dramatically, and emotionally
Cassandra M

July 29, 2010
This movie I have to say was not the best of the bunch. Zac Efron delivers his best performance in a movie since its proved he can be serious, yet that doesn't save the film from being bad.The plot goes on Charlie losing his little brother and then he can see ghosts since he was in a near death experience and then he falls in love and blah blah blah. Boring. The book was such a great one, that has been transformed into a lacking movie. The ending left you wanting and not wanting for more. You want to find out, yet since it bored you, you might just leave it like how it is. Overall like I had said before, the movie is plain and simple with nothing special. I just wished it would have been more interesting just like the trailer was
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

June 22, 2010
Cast: Zac Efron, Charlie Tahan, Amanda Crew, Augustus Prew, Donal Logue, Kim Basinger, Ray Liotta, Dave Franco, Matt Ward, Miles Chalmers

Director: Burr Steers

Summary: Ben Sherwood's intriguing novel is the basis of this ghost story about Charlie (Zac Efron), who is devoted to his brother, Sam, even after Sam's death. As the caretaker of the cemetery where Sam is buried, Charlie has lots of time to commune with the dead. Sam visits frequently to hang out with Charlie, but when Charlie meets a mysterious young woman (Amanda Crew), he must decide whether to move forward or remain trapped in the past.

My Thoughts: "I liked the movie, but I thought it would have went over better if there was a bit more character development. The concept of the film is a bit far fetched too, but then again, it is a movie. So it being somewhat interesting, it just never really developed enough to be great. The acting was good from Zac Efron and the boy Charlie Tahan. I have seen a few of Zac's films (none being the musical ones, couldn't bare to sit through them) and he is really coming into his own. Starting to like him. You don't see much of Kim Basinger and Ray Liotta which was a shame. In the end the movie did make me feel some compassion for the character Charlie and the brother Sam. Anyone who has lost someone close can relate to that feeling of loss. Okay film, but needs work. Think I may read the novel to see what I missed."
Everett J

January 2, 2011
Zac Efron is good, but the story sucks. "Lake House" meets "Sixth Sense", and both of those are a lot better(and I didn't care for "Lake House" either)
Conner R

December 31, 2010
I really do sort've see where some people might not go for this, but I think it's a genuinely great movie. The story is multi-layered and isn't just some shallow love story or Sixth Sense ripoff that it was criticized for being. The relationships are unbelievably heartfelt and unique. The bother aspect is not corny in the slightest, in fact it's pretty moving. Added to that, the implementation of ghost sex has never been done so mysteriously and seamless. Zac Efron is great in this. Even though both 17 Again and Me and Orson Welles both proved he is more than just a Disney superstar, this performance was even more deep and complex. The movie itself happens to look great and visually impress as much as it does with storytelling.
Cynthia S

September 5, 2010
This was a really good, heart warming, emotional, magical movie. I laughed, cried, and fell in love with the characters, and story line. I was also quite surprised at this movie, because it wasnt anything that I thought it was going to be....it was much, much more. Chick flick heaven!!
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

July 28, 2010
When I about to see this movie, I throw away all my expectations that this movie will be a good one, and what I get after watching this movie was a little surprise... Even though the story wasn't great, but I enjoyed Zac Efron performance's as Charlie St. Cloud, a talented boy when it comes to sailing, but he can't overcame his past when he must lose his younger brother whom only 11 years old... The sailing thing was really cool, makes me want to try that sport... And even though I can't say that Zac Efron's performance was great, but he was trying really hard and I appreciate that, especially because he can overcame his character in 'High School Musical' series... Overall, it's a pretty good movie and Zac Efron was doing good job in here...
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

August 1, 2010
"Charlie St. Cloud" is a silly film. A supernatural grief drama that should have dispensed with the supernatural aspects, they drag down the film immensely. The essential story about a man trying to come to terms with the death of his younger brother by investing in a loving relationship is great on it's own, we don't need the hokey subplot that takes directly from "The Sixth Sense". Since most of the story focuses on the supernatural and not enough on the characters and the love story, which are honestly quite strong, you really come out of the movie with nothing. Zac Efron turns in a nice performance, showing he can certainly dig into a character, but it's the script that leaves him hanging out to dry. If you are one of the most undemanding moviegoers around, or simply a 12 year old girl, "Charlie St. Cloud" will appeal to you in spades. But for everyone else stay away, the only reason to see the film is for Efron's growth as an actor.
KJ P

August 1, 2010
Charlie St. Cloud is filled with great emotion and likable characters, but when it comes down to it, the plot is very unexplained and overdone. It jumps from scene to scene and has a very undeveloped subplot. It's supposed to a be a story of a kid keeping a promise with his brother after he passes away, but the film goes off onto two different stories also, and it all gets a bit confusing, and unnecessary. I got very pissed off, because the emotion and heart is all present, but it is overshadowed but a weird premise. Overall Charlie St. Cloud is pretty average!
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 30, 2010
It was a nice story. Zac Efron has still got alot to work on his acting but he did allright on this one and it was nice to see something different than his role's in high school musical.

Charlie St. Cloud is a young man overcome by grief at the death of his younger brother. So much so that he takes a job as caretaker of the cemetery in which his brother is buried. Charlie has a special lasting bond with his brother though, as he can see him. Charlie meets up with his brother (Sam) each night to play catch and talk. Then, a girl comes into Charlie's life and he must choose between keeping a promise he made to Sam, or going after the girl he loves.
Apeneck F

August 20, 2010
"and so for zac efron of hollywood, opportunity knocks!" zac channels tyrone power in this ghostly romance that's not as bad as you might predict. it's bad ... yep ... don't get me wrong, just not as bad as you might predict. one for the tweeners, perfect on a double bill with "twilight".
Flutie A

August 12, 2010
Neither good nor bad...Just OK.
Screeny
Screeny

August 4, 2010
"Charlie St. Cloud" has a lot of heart...but, the supernatural plot-line or whatever really throws everything off because....welll...it makes no damn sense. After the movie your left wondering a few things about how this character has this ability..... It was just weird. I rated this 2.5 because I'm not actually too sure how I feel about the movie. I liked everything....but the fact that nothing was really explained. That killed it. The scenery is beatiful and the acting isn't really that bad, either. Zac Efron has improved since his Disney Channel break-out film, "High School Musical".

I mean, maybe---just maybe, if this movie's last 45 minutes were different, I may have given this a higher rating. Maybe. Don't know how it would've turned out without the terrible last act.

In the end, the movie's twist just doesn't work for me. It was lame, impossible, and not explained too well.
Jason Vargo
Jason Vargo

June 27, 2012
Man, with a little reworking, Charlie St. Cloud could actually be a good movie. The fundamentals here-a young man continuing a tradition with someone only he can see and learns a life lesson-is decent enough. It's the execution and the twist at the end which is lacking. The pieces seem to fit in hindsight, but during the film, there are too many ancillary characters and side tangents which bring the entire story to a grinding halt. Why in the world are Ray Liotta and Kim Basinger in this movie? No real reason, to be honest.