• R, 1 hr. 42 min.

100% Veep: Season 3

Charlie Wilson's War Reviews

Matthew Samuel M

March 19, 2014
It's not an exceptional film, however the real-life story it depicts is interesting enough and the performances are generally strong, particularly that of Philip Seymour Hoffman.
garyX
garyX

December 29, 2007
A hedonistic womanising congressman from Texas seems to be the only person on Capitol Hill who realises the full implications of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and sets about ensuring the US gives its support to the freedom fighters of the Mujahideen. The Aaron Sorkin penned script based on actual events shares a lot of elements with his flagship TV series The West Wing. The combination of politics and drama with amusingly quirky characters and witty, fast talking dialogue will be very familiar to fans and a collection of fine performances all round make for a very entertaining piece of historical edutainment. Inevitably it all seems quite rose-tinted in its depiction of the role of the US but Sorkin's edgy dialogue always keeps one eye on the hypocrisy and duplicity of American politics and the timing of the project is surely no coincidence. It would have made for a much weightier experience if it had continued the commentary through to its natural conclusion concerning where Afghanistan found itself once America had got what it wanted, but Sorkin does at least touch on the subject at the last gasp. Witty, smart and consistently entertaining, Charlie Wilson's War is well worth watching if only for the great Philip Seymour Hoffman's show stealing turn as the wise cracking, no-nonsense CIA analyst.
Edward B

February 9, 2014
Director Mike Nichols and writer Aaron Sorkin are no strangers to political satire. Charlie Wilson's War is simply fantastic. It's funny and incredibly well written. But the real disturbing elements emerge in the films final ten minutes, when you realize exactly how dangerous America's meddling into world affairs has become.
Joe M

January 4, 2012
Too bad in Americas rush to defeat the Soviets we created the Taliban, strengthened the Haqqani network and gave Pakistan the time it needed to make a nuclear weapon. Great intentions but we messed up the end game.
Apeneck F

December 26, 2007
A smart and entertaining charisma vehicle that also happens to teach a bit of recent US history, Hanks everyman plays a goodtime, partying congressman from Texas who's drawn into supporting Afghan rebels in their fight against Russian aggression. Nice turns by all the cast (Ned Beatty and Om Puri among them) almost hide that great care is taken not to upset American sensibilities.
Jens S

December 25, 2007
This political satire, based on real events of the CIA involvement in the Russian-Afghan war, mostly scores through its cast and the entertaining direction. The topic may start out a little dry, with the minor characters getting thrown in a bit randomly but once things start moving this is really enjoyable. Particularly Hoffman steals every scene he's in, delivers comedy gold. Hanks is always great, but Roberts feels a bit out of place and as if she was only thrown in there for her big name. The ending arrives a bit anti-climatic and unexpected, but at least delivers the bitter conclusion of how things went wrong with the Afghan-US relations. Intelligent, funny, smart.
Spencer S

August 3, 2010
I took no sides in watching this comedy and political diatribe, as I am a peaceful person. This film is best viewed by someone of the X generation, having gone through the hatred of anything Soviet Russia throughout the 80's. The brusque animation in the dialouge kept the plot from dragging, and the aspects of the war that were most important leapt out as if they had been italicized. Hanks plays the bachelor on the Hill with flair, somewhat out of his usual repetoire of sullen and needy. Hoffman is pleasantly lude and deep voiced as ever, this time playing up the vices and immaturity of a field agent out of his prime, swearing like a sailor and yelling epithets at his superiors. Roberts is just cool, a Southern belle with religious fervor and missing some of her morals along the way. Pleasant comedy, and an uplifiting story of redemption and becoming a savior in secret, it comes across as a film geared towards the older folk, yet still holds the elasticity of youth. Politically interesting, and nothing else.
Jay H

January 22, 2011
While the film makes the minor error at its conclusion in thinking there was some sort emotion vested in the plot, the film ends up as a fine political drama with a fair amount of comedy added in. The acting is quite good throughout, though Phillip Seymour Hoffman stands out among the three leads.
Ross C

May 4, 2008
A docudrama about a very interesting period of time in American history; politically, technologically and culturally; with a clear agenda to explain the current era. It can be hard to follow the fast, mumbling dialogue at times, but it's worth sticking with.
Richard C

July 21, 2010
C+
cosmo313
cosmo313

December 30, 2007
The film lacks much in the way of a strong visual style, but more than makes up for it with a sharp script, gooddirection, and a great cast who give strong performances, especially scene stealer Philip Seymour Hoffman. It's a good story, made even better by the fact that it's true. Even if it weren't true, the story is still a good one. The ending is somewhat hurried, but it's not a big enough issue to bring the movie down too much. This is good stuff. Strong, funny, and important political satire that is well conceived and executed doesn't come around as often as it needs to. This movie is one of those rare times, so take advantage.
Lewis C

June 16, 2008
Tom Hanks. Philip Seymour Hoffman. Amy Adams. Emily Blunt. Julia Roberts. Hopefully you've already stopped reading this review, and you've gone off to watch the movie. The cast is just outstanding. Four of those people are among my favorite actors and actresses in the world, and Julia Roberts is no slouch, either. 50% of why I love Charlie Wilson's War is due just to this amazing cast.

I have to give special mention to three of the cast, in particular. Tom Hanks really does outdo himself. The man can act circles around nearly anyone. And Amy Adams has forced her way into my highest regard with her roles in Doubt, The Office, Sunshine Cleaning, and this movie. Her range is just astonishing. Finally, I'm seriously starting to wonder whether Philip Seymour Hoffman could be a bad actor, even if he tried. I've seen him in quite a few movies this year, as well, and he blows me away every time.

The other 50% of my adoration is due to the movie, itself. These are the kinds of true stories that I like, the ones that don't make me cringe from how insipid or sappy they are. Charlie Wilson's War is about true events that are still affecting our lives in a major way, today. Think of it as the most entertaining history lesson that you've seen in a long time. It's hilariously funny at times (Hanks and Hoffman are a duo that I would really enjoy seeing team up again), occasionally somber, timely, topical, and intensely interesting. I loved it.
Anthony L

October 2, 2009
It?s funny, this is the history of one of the most serious turn of events effecting the world today. We all know where it?s led so far but no one knows how it?s going to end, probably badly, yet Mike Nichols has somehow demonstrated the importance and impact of this issue while giving us a quite funny and amusing film. I suppose that?s due to the quirky characters involved, Hanks, Seymour Hoffman and Roberts never underplay or overplay their roles and no one loses sight of the films main objective. Education isn?t usually this entertaining but it?s tastefully executed and assessable to all! It?s brilliant in fact!
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

September 16, 2009
Great cast and movie plot. Starts kind of slow but gets interesting when Tom Hanks starts traveling. Dealt mainly with the US supplying weapons to Afghanistan to fight the Russian and then hints at the end of the future blowback that this would cause. Tom Hanks/PSH duo is solid.
Emily A

November 24, 2008
Not without its charm, but much of what could have been its brilliant political satire and comedy is lost in the mire of international relations that is required to understand the plot. I think this movie could have been much better in the hands of the Cohen brothers, but maybe I am missing the point. However, Tom Hanks as the congressman with very little to do with his time is far too endearing to dismiss and despite his philandering and vices, it's very clear that he cares deeply about people and wants to help them in any way he can. It's strange that this film had every opportunity to show and skewer political corruption, will have none of it. It's also ironic that despite his obvious flaws and weaknesses, Charlie Wilson is not corrupt. He is a very interesting character.
maxthesax
maxthesax

January 20, 2009
This film delivered far more than I had expected - of course I had forgotten that Aaron Sorkin did the screenplay, otherwise I would have expected the excellent pacing, sly humor and witty dialogue.

Tom Hanks is wonderful here, playing a Texas politician who is far wiser than he seems. Seymore Hoffman is powerful as usual, playing a CIA opperative. It's these two who hold the film together, in spite of the hollywood hype of Julia Horseface (who, to be honest, holds her own here in a minor role).

The irony of the ending and the actual quote by Wilson "we fucked up the end-game" was so spot on, given that here we are, back in Afghanistan - with our recently developed "hearts and minds" regimine - which was something we should have done back 15 years ago. Doh! Our foreign policy as usual.

In any case, a wonderful film - I got a joy watching the Afghani's shooting stingers and then jumping for joy when they hit their targets (and the back story of all the intrigue to get the missiles into their hands was fascinating).
Cassandra M

December 26, 2007
#28: Charlie Wilson's War
Tom Hanks brings the funny as a playboy congressman messing around with Afghanistan politics, but it?s Philip Seymour Hoffman?s lizard-eyed CIA agent who really steals the show. A politically astute and very funny movie, it?s no surprise to discover that Charlie Wilson?s War was scripted by West Wing creator Aaron Sorkin.

Best bit: Hoffman tells his CIA boss what he really thinks of him. ?I?d like to review the seven ways in which you?re a douche bag?.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 1, 2008
Fantastic film. Incredibly well written by Aaron Sorkin, superbly acted by the entire cast and well-directed by the incredible Mike Nichols. Loved this movie so much.
aliyanto
aliyanto

October 27, 2008
This movie is drama played for laughs, reality repackaged as satire, politics filtered through farce and rueful irony. Just like Charlie Wilson's quote: "These things happened. They were glorious dan they changed the world... and then we fucked up the endgame."
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

December 27, 2007
excellant film worth a watch