Chawz - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chawz Reviews

Ryan M
November 4, 2011
6.4/10

The Korean-made "Chawz" is an appealing movie; funny, lighthearted, sometimes intense, sometimes cleverly-written, but completely unsure of what direction it wants to take. It tackles a number of different genres and takes aim; it tries to successfully play out like a B-movie, a horror film, a character drama, and most importantly of all a dark comedy. It has a sense of humor that few "monster movies" - since it thoroughly seems to be indicated that it wants to be regarded as one - have, which is admirable, but aside from a genuinely fine piece of entertainment, it's not much more. I was kind of engaged, I can't deny that I enjoyed myself, but it's the kind of mess that's nigh irredeemably silly and unfocused in equal measures.

Still, I like B-movies, I like films with monsters both big and small, and Korean cinema is both intriguing and pleasurable for me, or at least it has been those things in the past. I'm not so sure what to think here; this isn't a high point for the country's cinematic offerings, but it's not bad enough to qualify as a weak entry either. It's almost likably absurd and in its best moments, mildly charming, which is enough to save it from being worthless dung. But what keeps it from being a winner is the target; which refuses to stand still, and denies the fact that it can be singular. "Chawz" is not bad, it's not good, and you'll either enjoy it or you'll want it to end after the first ten minutes. It's not quite what you'd expect, or what you'd want, but if you're familiar with the cinema of Korea, then you might find some things to like. It is, alas, the kind of satirical film that takes on the stylistics of whimsy, perhaps in larger doses than appropriate.

A young police officer moves to a small, "crime-less" village; he initially feels at home with his new surroundings, since he starts with apprehending drunk drivers and doesn't appear to be going much further than that, but there's a sense that he, a simple man, does not mind his limitations. However, he's given his first real chance to shine when the silent, yet lively and welcoming village is the target of a large, mutated boar's primal rage. The giant mammal kills its fair share of people, prompting the authorities in charge to call in the "men with guns"; in the form of a top hunter and some guys he called in from a land far away.

The first half builds up accordingly and rather well; we get to know some of the characters - even if there are, without a doubt, far too many to keep track of or care about - and we begin to identify with the situation at hand. There are people in the group that we like, and those we absolutely detest. The film itself seems to be trying to make a point, in some scenes, when disgustingly immoral people do disgustingly immoral things. The problem with such scenarios is that when we see these people do their said inhuman deeds, we want them to die; get eaten by that nasty bore...eaten right up. Yet most of the time, they aren't the ones who die. Bummer.

Another thing; that damn piggy. "Chawz" openly advertises itself as a horror-comedy, not a straight-up horror film as I might have initially suspected and anticipated. The film doesn't let us get too good a look at the boar for most of its 120-minute running time, which gets annoying and rather tedious - bordering pretentious - when most of us came for the boar and therefore expected the boar. If it was a REAL horror film, then I would have accepted the aspirations to be suspenseful and scary, but this is not a great movie; for both its genre and its type. It wants to be quirky, unique, and outlandish; it is, but choosing to not show that big pig wasn't the right decision. I'm not sure if the filmmakers behind it knew this.

All-in-all, there is some good fun to be had here. The movie is what it is; decent escapist entertainment that does a good deal of what it promises to do, and disappoints in other significantly crucial areas. It isn't a failure; it isn't even a bad movie, but the flaws were distracting at times, and therefore, I cannot say whether it's good, bad, or even mediocre. As far as decency goes, I'd say it got on my good side; but I was in a good mood, after all, so it was an enjoyable ride. You know, if you can get past the lack of depth, clear commentary and/or satire, and the clear observation that it's terribly overlong for a Korean monster movie about a giant boar that supposedly kills people. It seems to keep dragging on-and-on-and-on at parts, yet I still felt somewhat engaged. That's a bit of a blessing; but, it's not quite enough. Nothing is ever enough. And that revelation alone almost makes me want to have sympathy for "Chawz" and forgive it of its problems, but you know; that's not how criticism works. And since I often follow the common rules of film criticism, it cannot be said that the pieces come together to make this killer-boar movie an effective whole.
September 18, 2012
79%

Korea's version of JAWS, only funnier. And surprisingly I actually liked the CGI. Park "MOTHER" rocks.
February 26, 2012
I guess I was expecting a better movie because of the DVD cover.The 1st 15-20 minutes were alright.I LOVED the slapstick & I couldn't keep myself from laughing but after awhile it just gets boring.Chawz had a Sci Fi Channel feel to it & I wouldn't be suprised if it showed up on their channel in the future.I'd tell you to go watch it if you're into these type of flicks but if you're not then I'd tell you don't bother
August 31, 2012
A Cheesy Jaws clone. Despite the funny slapstick, The film was like cheese, and half the time I saw someone with a gun facing off against the hog, I had to shout "SHOOT HER!!!" While they are freezing like morons. It fails me to watch a sad excuse of a film that is trying to hard to be like Jaws with a bad cliffhanger ending worthy of booing.
April 1, 2013
A lot of the Korean comedy is awkward but it's an ok giant killer animal flick.
September 18, 2012
79%

May 15, 2012
Man-eating wild boars going wild at Sam-Mae-Ri village (crimeless village). A lot of funny moments in this movie. I also recommended you too see Pig Hunt if you like Chawz.
May 1, 2012
Funny comedy/thriller about a giant boar. Quite strange and entertaining.
February 26, 2012
Ryan M
November 4, 2011
6.4/10

September 9, 2011
Chawz is another entry in the horror/comedy genre, this one coming from South Korea. Not as good as The Host, also from South Korea, a couple of years ago, but there is still some enjoyment to be had. The plot moves along a little too slowly for this type of film and has more than one similarity with the plot of the original Jaws. The comedy plays more to the slapstick side, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your taste in comedy. I personally found a few gags that made me smile, but nothing that made me laugh. The actors do a convincing job with their characters, but no one will blow you away or steal the show. The visual effects are good, using a mix of practical and computer generated, but not up to the normal standard of major North American films. If you have seen other movies of this type from this part of the world, the effects are on par. If you're expecting something along the lines of Slither or Army of Darkness, you most likely will be disappointed or even bored with this. But if you have seen The Host or Tokyo Zombie, this film is similar in tone and pacing and while never reaching the quality of The Host or the comedic absurdity of Tokyo Zombie, Chawz is an enjoyable monster movie. Flawed, but enjoyable.
½ August 5, 2011
I found myself waiting for this film to end about 20 minutes into it.
It was bogged down by silly Korean slapstick that wasn't very funny,and it took quite awhile to establish a storyline.
The characters were uninteresting and some most unnecessary.Although there were a couple of characters that I did like,it wasn't enough.The gore factor was virtually non existent and that's usually one reason we watch giant marauding creature flicks.
The pro is that the monster effect was quite good but you can't get into a movie just because the creature effect is good,there has to be some sort of motivation to keep you watching be it storyline,interesting and likable characters or even "good" comedy which I felt there were none of the above. I was really looking forward to it because I saw Pig Hunt and really enjoyed that giant killer Boar film.I say skip this one and watch Pig Hunt,you won't have to read subtitles either,and I just watched "The Man From Nowhere and loved every minute of it subtitles and all,so I have no problem reading them for if the film is good.
½ July 5, 2011
The similarity between the title of this movie and that of a much more famous killer animal flick is not coincidental. "Chawz" is essentially a "Jaws" ripoff, with a killer boar in place of the shark, and forced, ill-conceived attempts at comedy in place of worthwhile character development. And weighing in at just over 2 hours long, boy could this film have used some compelling plot hooks and/or characters. Instead what we have is a plot that would have felt stretched thin at 90 minutes, let alone 121, and characters who are by turns useless, idiotic, or flat-out assholes. Long story (and believe me, it is a LONG story) short, there are far better killer animal movies out there, leaving no good reason to waste your time on "Chawz."
½ June 19, 2011
"If you can't live the way you want then think about the way you live..." - This slapstick korean version of Razorback is surely very funny and entertaining.
½ June 12, 2011
Chawz is a wonderfully quirky and excessively funny Korean monster movie about a giant boar that starts terrorizing a small village. There are a couple of plot holes and a couple of the characters feel like they serve no purpose plot-wise, making their inclusion annoying when considering the films unforgiveable 2 hour run time. None of this will stop you from having a good time, as it remains a lot of fun on all fronts.
June 4, 2011
Not only a competent reimagining of Jaws, but extremely funny.
½ May 28, 2011
Not so successful horror-comedy about a giant man-eating boar that is terrorizing a remote village. A clear homage to Jaws that is too long and much of the comedic tone comes off as childish.
½ May 20, 2011
You know, to be honest, this is an average horror-comedy at best. It's not something that you really need to go out of your way to see, but, quite frankly, I quite enjoyed this movie. The rating doesn't reflect how I enjoyed it, but I'm in this "business" to write fair and balanced reviews. The reason I enjoyed this movie as much as I did was because of its quirky characters and moments. It's not as funny as it should be nor is it a great horror movie either. But the characters themselves were so quirky and wacky that it made an average horror/comedy fine entertainment. At the same time, the movie certainly has its pacing issues that would've made the movie better than it was, but it's not to be. I digress, if this movie tried a straightforward approach to this 'story' it probably would've been a disaster of massive proportions. So thank Christ, it's as quirky and wacky as it is because it completely makes the movie quite frankly.