100% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

Cheeni Kum (Less Sugar) Reviews

ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

January 9, 2012
Boy was I surprised. Not a typicall Bollywood Movie. A 64 years old Londons Best Cooks suddenly fall in love in with a 34. That was really interesting. No songs no Bollywood Kitchy infact I enjoyed it although 64 with a 34 years? Anyhow it is recommendable to Big B Fan. What I liked this Movie was the little girl who seemed to command the old man. That was really funny. She was sort of a "heart" of the Movie as well. The Movie didnt actually focus on a Love Story it showed the circumstances from every ahmm "Main Characters" of the Movie who were involved.

Paresh Rawal vs Big B. Wow that was really interesting. Anyhow I think Tabu was a great pick although I must say she is NOT 34 she must be in her mid 40`s. The made a cute couple.
iLeo
iLeo

February 1, 2008
This is a very interesting movie! Great story plot, this is an interesting take on the lives of two individuals who find love, despite the difference in their age. Amitabh Bachchan and Tabu are simply brilliant.
August 18, 2007
The Best Movie I have seen this Year.
Amitabh's versatile Performance and Tabu's beauty with Innocence has brought the spice to the movie. And last but not least "Ilayarajas harmonic music brought a classic touch to the movie". I love to watch this movie again.
VinnyMun
September 26, 2007
Cheeni Kum literally means "sugarless." The more I watch Bollywood films the less I like American. It's about a pompous yet passionate chef, who falls in love with an independent, calm, beautiful, and strong woman (30 years younger). English subtitles available. Although I feel I'm Tabu's #1 fan, the 9-yr named Sexy (Swini Khara), who suffers from leukemia in the film was equally impressive!
Augustgirl22
June 18, 2007
It is a pretty good romance. Although if u like really sugary, and syrupy romances it isn't for u. it is a sugarless romance.
Rebecca H.
July 15, 2010
Amitabh Bachchan as a crochety owner of an upscale Indian restaurant in London.

The kitchen scenes are priceless.

It is a somewhat slow movie, a "chic flick", but it's a sweet love story about older folks. And yes, I have no problems believing that a woman in her mid-thirties could fall for a man like Amitabh Bachchan, even with the character flaws shown in this movie.
rajdoctor
July 15, 2010
My expectation to see this movie was low after reading a The Hindustan Times poor review written by ex-Times of India film critic, Khalid Mohammed. I need to say in the beginning that Khalid is a poor movie critic who has sustained his job only through sheer style and gay chut-paz!

Cheeni Kum is exploring a different theme in the most unconventional way, yet managing to the commercial format of story telling. The story is about a 64 years old London based chef Buddhadev (Amitabh Bachchan) of an Indian restaurant, who is arrogant and proud of his Indian gourmet knowledge and cooking; and a 34 year old lady tourist to London, Neena Verma (Tabu), who lands up in the restaurant to be in argument with the chef over Hyderabadi Jafarani Biryani. This starts a series of intelligent and interesting meetings between these two characters that leads to them falling in love. The second half of the movie is devoted to how Buddha tries to convince Neena?s father Omprakash (Paresh Rawal), who is a hypocrite 58 year old Gandhian and against the relationship of his daughter and the chef. Omprakash uses Gandhian ways to stop the affair. What happens in the end I will leave it on you to see.

There are two small sub-plots and story lines that needs brief mentioning. One is of Buddha?s mother (Zohra Sehgal) and other of Buddha?s 8 year old cancer patient neighbor named Sexy (Swini Khara). Both, even with the huge age differences hold unique relationship with Buddha.

The movie script is good and the first time advertisement agency director R.Balkirshnan has done a wonderful job. Ilaya Raja has lifted melodious music and songs from his South Indian films. Acting wise ? Tabu as usual scores high and holding herself in front of the Bollywood giant Amitabh. The pair looks very pleasing to the eyes and both of them have performed their roles brilliantly. Paresh Rawal?s character was itched nicely but still it does not look convincing. The reason is the lengthy treatment to the Gandhian fasting given too much importance.

Overall it is a refreshing new theme worth watching.

(Star 6.5 out of 10)