• PG, 1 hr. 35 min.

38% Taxi Brooklyn: Season 1
43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Cheerful Weather For The Wedding Reviews

March 18, 2014
Poor Luke Ward-Wilkinson was completely wasted in this movie; he deserves so much better.
January 27, 2014
There are moments of true comedy in this film but overall I felt the story was under developed and lacked the depth needed to be credible.
December 21, 2013
Not as enjoyable as what I had hoped it would be. The character of Dolly was quite unlikeable to be honest. Joseph I did like.
January 18, 2013
Don't tell me it hasn't been inspired by "Downton Abbey".
Hamee
July 14, 2013
I am going to pass on this one.
May 24, 2013
Portrayal of the dynamics in a British family in the thirties during a wedding, but the characters are too flat to make you care for them.
February 5, 2013
Moral degeneration well-exemplified
Christopher H

January 29, 2013
Despite it's shortcomings, the chemistry is so strong between Felicity Jones and Luke Treadaway, that even though they spend a majority of the film apart, the connection between them carries the film. Felicity is gorgeous as always, performing in such a lyrical beauty that radiates through her lack of dialogue. She is the star and even though most of her actions are mirrored off of the rest of her family, she still shines. Treadaway also mostly uses his expressions to portray his character and the highlight of the film is a moment where he kindly dances with Jones' younger sister, gazing at Felicity the entire time. No words are spoken, but the emotion is strong. Apart from these performances, "Cheerful Weather for the Wedding" is an average dramatic comedy, with a dry, British humor and a lack of ingenuity. Had the director pushed nuanced feel, the film could have been so much more impacting. Instead it relies too heavily on its bright cast and too list on its substance and direction.
April 30, 2013
Between a critic comedy and a romantic drama "Cheerful Weather For The Wedding" is somewhat stuck, not knowing what course to follow, time unhappy mood, time for a protagonist couple to have as little charismatic.
April 18, 2013
Rice does a fine job of juggling so many characters and moving smoothly among flashbacks without losing sight of the main story.
April 17, 2013
Good acting but everything already seen...
April 14, 2013
Perfect mood and colors. Beautifully done for a setting that doesn't change much and a character that doesn't inspire much sympathy or feeling of depth. Just beautiful. Amazing concept.
April 1, 2013
i like their dialogue. The pace is slow.
January 30, 2013
Sneak preview, weggelopen. Wat ongelofelijk saai en oninteressant allemaal. En what's with crossing the axis all the time?
January 15, 2013
langgezogen mit wenig wirklicher Handlung
December 23, 2012
The weather isn't cheerful here nor is the film itself. While there is nothing here that would make me recommend the film to anybody I wouldn't tell people that it is a total waste of time either as some of the performances are worth watching and the period detail of the earlier 1900's (a few decades after Downton I'd assume) is also nicely done. To fully enjoy a movie, though, I don't just want my eyes to be dazzled ... I want to feel something as well and this is where Cheeful Weather For the Wedding is a let-down. There is very little heart, emotion or warmth on display here (one emotional character isn't enough to save the film). The film takes place on Dolly's wedding day (Felicity Jones - Like Crazy, Chalet Girl, Hysteria) as she is about to marry a man she may or may not love. Also invited to the wedding is Joseph (Luke Treadaway - Attack the Block, Clash of the Titans, The Whistleblower), a young man who was/is in love with Dolly and he hasn't gotten over how she had toyed with is yearnings and emotions just a few months prior (he is the character with emotion and soul). Dolly is feckless, fickle and not really overly likable and this hurts the film as I didn't care whether she was happy or not as she didn't even seem to care as long as she married comfortably into money. Dolly's mother (Elizabeth McGovern - "Downton Abbey", Ragtime, Ordinary People) plays a much-less friendly version of her Downton character who doesn't want Joseph around. The film is a lot of talk and a lot of flashbacks ... but little of it is endearing. The film's lone bright-spot is the supporting turn by Fenella Woolgar (Scoop, You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, Vera Drake) whose dry delivery and wit make her stand-out from the rest of the overly self-important wedding guests. This is one of those weddings you don't really want to attend ... the great part about this being a film is that you don't have to (nobody will be any the wiser).
December 18, 2012
Slightly remind me of one of Jamie Travis's
December 9, 2012
It felt like a movie that was finished in it's first draft in some places. It really does feel like an incomplete project. There was a few scenes however that I really enjoyed, which almost made me like the film. However, I am split on this slightly dark dramedy. It does have a lot of potential to be better than this though.
Bradley W

Slow and without heart.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

December 9, 2012
In 1932, Dolly(Felicity Jones) begins her wedding day by praying to the porcelain gods, followed by finding the exact wrong time to get reacquainted with her Tolstoy. Meanwhile, downstairs, her sister Kitty(Ellie Kendrick) and Evelyn(Zoe Tapper) find little to do except to comment on the appearance of Dr. Joseph Patten(Luke Treadaway) who was last heard of in Greece and was not expected for the ceremony, least of all by Dolly's mother(Elizabeth McGovern). Then, Owen(James Norton), the groom, puts in an appearance to find out where the ring is.

Aided by exquisitely serene performances from its leads, "Cheerful Weather for the Wedding" is a witty and bittersweet look at the intersection of family and marriage which shows how hard it is to get through a wedding entirely sober.(The old line being that it is 5 pm somewhere.) As such, the important details lie just below the surface, as bombshells, both literal and metaphorical, are dropped on this most important of days. With a respect and subtle critiquing of this time's traditions, the movie makes multiple uses of time, not only in how it moves too quickly and too slowly for some characters but by going back to happier times and better weather.