Chennai Express - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chennai Express Reviews

½ September 16, 2014
Good, but overrated.... and this comes from a die hard SRK fan... Bollywood needs to cut back on the fight scenes until they become more believable
March 13, 2014
On the whole, 'Chennai Express' has the trademark Rohit Shetty stamp all over. You seek entertainment, entertainment and entertainment in a film like 'Chennai Express' and the movie lives up to the hype and hoopla surrounding it.
½ January 26, 2014
Chennai Express is my first real experience with Bollywood and while it was't as lame as I expected it just isn't my cup of tea. Shahrukh Khan was charismatic as Rahul the immature self centered protagonist and though the actual story was entertaining and some of the spontaneous dances were fun to watch Chennai Express just didn't resonate or make me a fan of Bollywood. Perhaps other Bollywood films will be better at showing me why it is such a popular genre.
November 18, 2013
One line summary: Occasionally funny; great scenery.

-----------------------------

At 40 years of age, Rahul is looking to strike out on his own after his grandfather dies on his 100th birthday.

He promises his grandmother that he will take half his grandfather's ashes to the holy water of Rameshwaram for dispersal. He concocts a scheme with his friends to disperse the ashes, then to rendezvous in Goa for a vacation.

This starts out fairly well, but he nearly leaves the ashes on the Chennai express. He recovers them, but in the process unwittingly helps Meenamma get on the train, but also her four would be kidnappers. He and Meenamma try a few ploys to contact his friends and foil the kidnappers. All this goes awry. As it turns out, the kidnappers were representatives of her father Durgeshwara. Meenamma tells Durgeshwara that Rahul is her love interest. He attempts to escape the situation. Then Meenamma's other suitor shows up, and he intends some sort of duel to the death. This has to be sorted out. Misadventures, car chases, lost at sea, misunderstandings, you name it. The matter of the two suitors still has to be sorted out, after all the filler. Repeat to use up the 140 minutes.

Does this get better?

----------Scores------------

Cinematography: 10/10 Nicely shot and edited; great-looking scenery, costumes, sets.

Sound: 10/10 No problems. Could have used a few more musical numbers to shore up the lack of plot. I liked the numbers that were there.

Acting: 5/10 I liked the performance of Deepika Padukone, who seems to be on her way up. Shah Rukh Khan clearly has talent, but he seems a bit old for this, and he seems to be covering old ground.

Screenplay: 5/10 About 40 minutes of ideas done in 140.
½ August 12, 2013
No spoilers here...just wanna say fun movie all the way...some really funny moments/dialogues too.Deepika n Srk's chemistry was really good.Fun to see Deepika speaking in "that" accent..! Go watch the movie you all..:) *
August 10, 2013
Movie End Credits had full theater occupancy .. Don't under estimate the power of thalaivaar
Is time pass entertainer... Copied many scenes from hit Tamil & Telugu Movies
½ March 28, 2016
Other than it's comedy, Chennai Express doesn't have anything else to offer. Unfortunately it couldn't even use the one thing it had in many scenes, comedy. Some scenes are funny though, but the rest of the movie is boring supported by a predictable plot.
May 23, 2016
haw to see all the movie ???
December 19, 2015
Amazing Film Srk is the best
November 1, 2015
One of the best movie that I have ever saw
October 26, 2015
Nice looking, but the story and themes are extremely well worn for Bollywood cinema. The worst part of the film though is the forced comedy and the techniques used to compliment these comedic moments, including sound effects that wouldn't look out of place in infant children programmes.
½ October 25, 2015
Bollywood is fast, exciting and blasts out songs in the most seemingly unnecessary times, Chennai Express is no different to that. It's not that this film is unwatchable I mean for some it could be great fun and it has it's moments for sure, I felt it was just kind of average though and lacked the true spirit it needed to have. The plot see's Rahul planning to spread his grandfathers ashes before meeting his friends where they will have a fun time in Goa, things don't play out so well though and Rahul is dragged into a kidnapping. It is here we meet Meena who has run off from an arranged marriage and her fathers goons are coming to get her. The plot really lifts off from there really, the train is actually not seen for the vast majority of it and the story leads down different channels which can seem a little annoying at times.

The famous star and really the worldwide face of Bollywood Shahrukh Khan plays Rahul, he is confident in the role and take it on well although ruins a lot of his credibility as a good actor with some more silly scenes. Most praise for this film went towards the lady portraying Meena, Deepika Padukone whose performance is pretty good and she easily outshines Khan in a movie where he receives the vast amount of screen time. I enjoyed the characters on show and the movie uses a vast amount of the strange and wonderful to create at least a watchable ride.

I did feel a lot of the comedy falls flat on its face which is disappointing really as the story is set up well to be kind of hilarious. I think it is truly a share of the blame when it comes to the missed opportunities at big laughs, on one hand Khan is not right for the role in a humorous way but also Rohit Shetty does not direct it in a way which makes the jokes seem smarter. The script isn't so bad and it certainly has its moments, it can be kind of smart at times and some of the scenes where Hindi is mixed with Tamil can create some nice little one-two's between characters who only understand one or the other.

As the music goes this I feel did not utilise it well enough, it has enough but only a few scenes really give you a big show and even then the songs aren't as catchy as some other Bollywood movies. It is choreographed pretty well although I can't say Khan always seems right in certain scenes, he does however provide any jokes that he does get right mostly within the dance scenes. The locations used in this are one reason alone to view this movie, fantastically set up and the use of the mountains and hills in the background make some scenes that are not that great to watch, very beautiful indeed.

Overall Chennai Express is not really a movie I would recommend but it's definitely watchable, for those who are massive Shahrukh Khan Fans then this will probably please you. As movies like this go though there are plenty more out there to recommend, the only reason this is so big is one because of it's big stars but two because it received so much money at the box office, and in that becoming one of the biggest international Bollywood movies ever, that doesn't make this good though.
July 6, 2015
Standard romcom stuff with a scene that honestly should never have happened.
April 18, 2015
Loved it sharuhk and deepika r my fave
March 19, 2015
very nice and comedy movie.
January 25, 2015
epic Bollywood road pic of sorts gr8 music too
January 12, 2015
Trash...Don't waste your precious time.
December 14, 2014
so her her is Deepika, she's soo beautiful :)
November 4, 2014