Chéri

Chéri Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

July 13, 2011
During la belle epoque, an old courtesan and a young man fall in love, but when the man must marry, their relationship reaches an impasse.
Playwright/screenwriter Christopher Hampton collaborated with director Stephen Frears in 1988 to produce one of the most vicious battles of the genders ever put to film, Dangerous Liaisons, and their most recent collaboration seems like the aborted product of their imitators or merely the vain scribblings of old men who can no longer hack it. In every way Cheri is a Frears/Hampton film, but in every way it falls short. In what few moments of manipulation there are, we see none of the mischievousness and guile that made Valmont a man we love to hate. In what few moments of sexual passion, we none of the allure of the young Uma Thurman (all of the actresses in Cheri must have had a no nudity clause). And in what few moments of loving tenderness in Cheri, there is none of the passion we saw in Tourvel and Valmont's torrid break-up and reunion. What remains is a sterile imitation of Dangerous Liaisons.
And Cheri's motivations are occasionally mysterious. Even after he explains his reunion with Edmee, it still doesn't make any sense.
I must say that this is a courageous role for Michelle Pfeiffer as much of Lea's character development takes place in the sad lines on her aging face. But this was but one ugly moment in a whole film in which she is made to look as beautiful as she can. Also, the script reduces the eminently talented Kathy Bates to a mere cartoon.
Overall, see Dangerous Liaisons, and when you're done, you can say that you saw Cheri too.
Pedro H

October 10, 2010
Indulge in a wicked game of seduction

A romantic story of a young boy who is attracted by a prostitute older than him

So the movie inst so bad, i thought it could have been worst, way worst, its an elegant movie, that is visually pleasing, nothing out of the ordinary. In terms of costume this movie is fabulous, amazing stylish outfits that should inspire a lot of people out there. In terms of the story, there isn't anything special, its a semi-erotic build up plot. But one thing has to be named, Pfeiffer is amazing!

So is you want to go see it, its up to you. I don't recommend it to everyone, but if you like historical romances with a spice of sensuality , go ahead.

Lea de Lonval : I can't criticize his character, mainly because he doesn't seem to have one!
Carlos M

August 24, 2010
Although not really involving nor exactly compelling, this romantic drama based on Colette is at least charming, presenting a wonderful production design and a nice chemistry between Pfeiffer and Friend.
maxthesax
maxthesax

August 26, 2010
In Cheri we have Michelle Pfeiffer giving a wonderful performance as an ageing courtisan in turn of the 20th century France (the Belle Epoque period).

Unfortunately, the script and her co-lead Friend are very uneven, leaving Pfieffer and Kathy Bates on an island; a very pretty island, but an island nonetheless.

The emotional impact of the story falls a bit flat, in spite of a wonderful narration by the director Frears, who provides a straight forward direction, trying to wring some sense of drama to a script that frankly has very little.

A fine example of not cashing in on the emotional currency of "star crossed love" is the film'ending, where a voiceover states that Friend goes off to fight in the "war to end all wars", survives and then, faced with a life without his soul mate, puts a gun to his head. Far better, I believe, would have been a scene where he puts his army uniform aside, gazes at a picture of Pfieffer, and then puts the gun to his head... fade to black.

Still, for all its failings, the film, as carried by Pfieffer, along with the wonderful scenery, sets and costumes, delivers a reasonable bit of entertainment.
Drew S

December 25, 2009
My DVD stopped working about ten minutes before the end of the movie. I was not upset by this. The only way it could have enhanced the experience for me was if every awful person in this movie died in a fiery car accident, which seems unlikely and inappropriate, but at least something worth a damn would have happened.

Because really, who CARES what happens in Cheri? I always feel so bad when films like this get made, because they're almost always expensive and no one seems to watch them but gay men and the shrinking number of people who are interested in period flicks. Unfortunately, my sympathies pretty much end there, since Cheri is an hour and a half in the doldrums which you could skip without a worry. There is absolutely no challenge here, no tension, nothing to keep a viewer interested in the movie. The worst possible scenario is that Michelle Pfeiffer's aging, though still beautiful, courtesan Lea is screwed out of her idealized boy-toy. Sure, they spent six supposedly happy (if not tumultuous) years together, but what's so special about Cheri that Lea would fall in love like she never had with any of her other clients? Is she afraid of losing her allure in her old age? Is she into his unkempt hair? Cheri himself is a dull character, a collection of over-sharp quips that seems to perfectly embody the script of the film, done no favors by Rupert Friend's reasonably attractive but utterly uncreative performance. All he seems to do in his scenes is spit venom all over whoever he's acting across from. No depth, no convincing tenderness or vulnerability. Pfeiffer herself fares better, though she has a serious problem finding a proper voice and accent - honestly, the rest of the cast falls prey to this, so maybe it's a foible in the direction. When Lea is curt, it seems a little more convincing, but her attempts at laying herself bare for this boy she loves simply don't do the trick in the face of the script's underdeveloped treatment of the relationship. Finally, Kathy Bates is the movie's third prominent character, one that could be read two ways. If Cheri is overly stagey and self-interested on purpose, her performance lampshades this impeccably, as she storms through the movie guffawing and grimacing with all the force in the world. If it's taking itself a little more seriously, she's nightmarishly bad and totally unsuited to period. In any event, she's bawdy and perversely hilarious in her too-tight corsets; her bosom seems to be lifted all the way to her chin and it's kind of great.

I will grudgingly give the movie credit where credit is due. Darius Khondiji films the affair with generous light and color, and the film moves quickly with its short scenes and trim editing. Unfortunately, it goes to no real destination, and by the time the movie's over you feel like you've barely seen anything at all. Unless you are REALLY hard up for a 2009 period piece or a die hard Pfeiffer fan, I highly recommend you skip this one.
neverteaseaweasel
neverteaseaweasel

November 23, 2009
Cheri does basically everything right, but somehow it just doesn't end up being that great. Its stylish, well shot and presented, and acting is great. I really liked the costumes and score. They were historical but also slightly off, sort of in the same vein as Sleepy Hollow or Sweeny Todd, but much more vibrant and colorful. The story and characters themselves were interesting. Idk, I really have no complaints at all! There are so many compliments to give! Cheri really has no major flaws, but I just didn't fall in love with it. I have no idea why. Still, I would certainly deem it worth watching. Even if its not superb its certainly good. It just seems like it should be more.
Nicki M

August 5, 2009
Okay. Watched it at the tail end of a very long flight overseas, so maybe I wasn't in the best mood to fully appreciate it. Never really felt much sympathy with either character in this, and abrupt ending was I guess at least not a cop out, but still unsatisfying.
Jeremy S

March 18, 2009
I loved this movie, if you like to watch beautiful people, in beautiful clothes and beautiful places, behaving badly than Cheri is the movie for you.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

September 25, 2010
In "Cheri," Lea de Lonval(Michelle Pfeiffer) is a wealthy and aging courtesan whose list of friends has dwindled over the years down to just her enemies. One such, Madame Peloux(Kathy Bates), has a 19-year old son, Cheri(Rupert Friend), who is tired of being slothful and decadent but that does not stop him from accepting an invitation from Lea to go to Normandy. Six years later, they are still together and the world has not come to an end as a result. But then Madame Peloux wants grandchildren and arranges a marriage with Marie Laure(Iben Hjejle) for Cheri to marry her daughter Edmee(Felicity Jones).

With an unexpected ending, "Cheri," directed by Stephen Frears, is a fine recreation of Belle Epoque France where no amount of money could buy a reputation but could it buy happiness? And I liked the older woman-younger man interplay that resonates to the modern day. However, I kept on waiting for the movie to truly come alive, to take on some spirit to match the sardonic narration, but it never quite does. I suspect some of this has to do with Michelle Pfeiffer in the lead, an actress I have always been ambiguous about. Oh, and a little eroticism would not have hurt anybody, would it?
John B

January 31, 2012
Passable film with some interesting elements. Ultimately it is Rupert Friend who lets us down. Quite frankly, I can't see why Michelle Pfeiffer would be interested in him.
SC007
SC007

October 8, 2010
Michelle Pfeiffer's performance is the best reason to watch this film. She shines throughout the film. Overall, the film was ok,but could have been so much better.
Kathy Bates does a good job in her supporting role. The problem that I had with the film was Rupert Friend. He was miscast in the tittle role. I think another actor in that role would have done a much better job. I think James Macavoy or Orlando Bloom would have been better in the role. Overall, the film is only worth watching cause of Michelle Pfeiffer.
PantaOz
PantaOz

July 27, 2009
I am not a great fan of Stephen Frears work but he managed to transparently show us the spirit of the Belle Époque in this movie. And that was very hard to do. A society which was thriving on fun, money and beauty was ill and Cheri and Lea were just a result of that illness. In some parts the movie had very slow pace but Michelle Pfeiffer with her role made me wait for them: I did not mind the slow pace with her around...
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

November 24, 2009
Lea : What do you expect me to do, go and pine away in Normandy? Stop dyeing my hair? Is that what you want?
Cheri: Yes.
Lea : You're not the first young man I've said goodbye to.
Cheri: Yes, I know, but what I thought might be appropriate is if I were the last.

Michelle Pfeiffer plays Lea de Lonval, a courtesan in Paris who is ready to retire from her profession, the business of sex but when an old friend Madame Peloux (Kathy Bates), asks Lea to teach her son Fred whom Lea nicknames Chéri (Rupert Friend) about life, she does not expect the two to fall madly in love with each other and remain together for six years. Madame realizes she needs grandchildren and arranged a loveless and mercenary marriage to a sweet young girl Edmee (Felicity Jones) leaving everyone unhappy, Edmee, Cheri and Lea. I guess Lea forget the cardinal rule of prostitutes: Don't fall in love.
Andrew F

July 20, 2009
Though this movie is not groundbreaking, the film is beautiful, with lavish sets and costumes that give the film visual flair. Also, Michelle Pfeiffer is great.
Sarah P

November 21, 2011
I was confused by Michelle Pfeiffer's performance - was she supposed to have some sort of accent? The movie itself was just average - nothing to get excited about!
raiinxfall
raiinxfall

July 1, 2009
Powerful performances are given by Michelle Pfeiffer and Kathy Bates, but even they cannot stop the story from collapsing upon itself.
Nikki M

September 13, 2009
Not what I was expecting and really moved slow.
May 13, 2012
Chéri is a sad, intelligent film about coming of age late in life, looking in the mirror and wondering, "What happened?" It started out funny and with life, and ended sad and lifeless.