97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

Chicago Reviews

thmtsang
thmtsang

July 13, 2007
Preferred Broadway show, but good adaptation. Renee was brilliant. Great music.
Louis R

April 21, 2012
The music is already good, and it's a well made, dark and wry movie musical.
Sophie B

July 25, 2006
Not as good as the hype suggests, but still something that can be put on in the background for a brief sing and dance-a-long. Probably better in theatre.
Matt G

January 22, 2011
A very well choreographed film, with good acting and songs. It isn't my cup of tea, to be honest.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
A great musical!
shahmeer h.
shahmeer h.

June 19, 2011
Chicago is a very original movie. And that's what people are looking for these days. Every award they received, including Best Picture, was well given from the Academy. Catherine-Zeta Jones was an excellent supporting actress, and she did earn her Best Supporting Actress award, but truly, I think Renee Zellweger did a better job as an actress. The cinematography was simply amazing. The transitions between reality and stage were definitely enjoyable. The way the audience saw the stage performances was excellent, and the way they saw reality was interesting as well. And at that fact, the stage performances is what made this film extravagant. No breaking into song in reality. All of the singing was as if they were feeling it, and we were witnessing their feelings. The the songs were real catchy, and definitely masterpieces to listen to. But there were a few flaws in Chicago. One was some of the speech. It was hard to understand without subtitles or going back a few times to hear it again, but not all of it was like that, only some. Then the fact that one of the characters (the innocent and "invisible" one) never got what he deserved. This was the sad point in the film. But I guess that's reality, folks. And the best part of Chicago was... That it was better than the musical. I saw the musical, and it was boring and dull compared to the film. But there is one last flaw. The 1 hour 57 minute film left out a bit from the 3 hour musical. You got to know the characters more in the musical. All in all, I give Chicago a 80/100.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 27, 2011
A impressive musical with a mediocre story, top notch acting, and incredible songs. I never believe in overrated movies but this is one of them, espically for the Best Picture Oscar.
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 10, 2010
Catherine Zeta-Jones gives a great and memorable performance. Great film, but I'm not quite sure it deserved Best Picture!
Jacob E

April 27, 2011
Now THIS is a musical film. Worthy of the Best Picture Oscar it received? No. Not even close. But is it good? You can bet your life on it. "Chicago" is darkly humorous, beautifully shot and choreographed, and filled to the gills with catchy/awesome songs. Highly recommended for anyone, even those who don't like musicals. This might convert you over.
Spencer S

January 15, 2009
Great cast, numbers, costumes, and atmosphere. Movie musicals are rare nowadays, and Chicago lets us remember the Golden Age and how far we've come since.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 5, 2009
A great musical film! Acting was incredible, probably the best acting portrayal of the top 3 actors in this film in there career. Great film and I recommend it to all musical fans out there.

Fame hungry Roxie Hart dreams of a life on the Vaudville stage, and spends her nights jazzing it up in the bright lights of Chicago, continually hoping that she'll find her lucky break, and be shot into 1920's stardom, so able to flee her boring husband Amos. In awe of seductive club singer Velma Kelly (who is subsequantly arrested for the murder of her husband and sister - after discovering their affair), Roxie meets Fred Cassely a man who convinces her he can 'make her showbiz career take off'. However after Roxie has undergone the 'casting couch' treatment, and Fred has had his wicked way with her, he reveals that he has no more connections in showbusiness than she does. This is the final straw for Roxie, and her constant anger at rejection explodes. She shoots Fred Cassely and kills him. Upon discovering her infidelity, Roxie's husband Amos refuses to take the blame for the murder and Roxie is sent to jail, pending hanging. In jail she finally meets tabloid darling Velma Kelly, currently receiving huge media attention for the double murder she committed earlier in the tale. Sharing the clink with Velma, are a collection of other sly females, all awaiting trial for the murders of their own partners. Velma is aloof to Roxie, however the prison Warden Mrs Morton offers Roxie the opportunity of representation by slick Chicago lawyer Billy Flynn. Billy is more a showbiz P. R agent than a legal lawyer and minipulates the tabloids into thinking Roxie is no more than an innocent 'good time girl' who took the wrong path, than a scheming murderess. The tabloids go crazy for the new girl on the cell block, and Roxie finally becomes a star. However due to Roxie's new found fame, Velma is forgotten about. She is forced to approach Roxie with an offer of a part in her Vaudville act (filling the gap left by her murdered sister), but Roxie turns down her offer flat, thinking she needs no support in topping the bill. However, just as Velma's star fell, so does Roxie's, when Go-to-hell Kitty arrives at the jail on a multiple murder charge, the press forget Roxie and now she and Velma are in the same boat. With one more trick up her sleave Roxie manages to bring the media attention back onto her, and her day in court arrives. Billy is now ready to play the ultimate showman!
Richard C

June 24, 2010
C
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
Wow. Something I like Renee Zellweger in... Catherin Z-J is amazing as usual.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 11, 2007
disturbing morality and off dance numbers combined with a mostly miscast group in key roles makes for a decent but highly overrated musical. moulin rouge deserves the credit this film gets for rebirthing the musical genre after a dark period.
Anthony L

September 21, 2009
I much preferred seeing this in the theatre, I found it lost a certain something in its transference into film and was an undeserving Oscar winner!
Drew S

January 20, 2007
Brassy and entertaining, but sort of an empty delight at the end of it all. I immensely admire the technical wizardry and actorly flair that oozes from Chicago but musicals are really just not my thing. And I dunno, the 20s flapper era strikes me as so simple. I think to an interested party, this would be the absolute Holy Grail, as the whole affair is arguably faultless within its own little warped world (except Richard Gere, he sucks so bad, make him go awayyyy). I would be remiss to deny that I liked the movie - of course I did. Renee Zellweger falling down and awkwardly declaring a pregnancy, and Catherine Zeta-Jones' reaction, were movie magic.

The music is accessible and well-done; Cell Block Tango is stunning, CZJ is solid gold, and you can't help but fall in love with Queen Latifah after Be Good to Mama. And seriously, who the hell would have expected that voice coming out of John C. Reilly? Amazing. Everything about this movie, right down to the costume and set design, is crafted with utmost cinematic love. Rob Marshall has created a beautiful paean to an art form that clearly means the world to him. I won't seek fault in it to justify my personal feelings, but simply admit that it isn't a movie for me.
TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
brilliant film of a stage show. zelwegger and zeta-jones are fantastic and sooo sexy
Coxxie M

June 9, 2009
damn Catherine Zeta is so freakin hot she will give this 3 stars i know i know it doesnt deserve it.... but just LOOK AT HER!!
Lewis C

June 21, 2007
Musicals are made (or unmade) by their songs and actors, and Chicago excels in one of these categories while being a little more questionable in the other.

It's no exaggeration to say that some of these song numbers are among the most famous and well-known musical performances, ever. Cell Block Tango, We Both Reached for the Gun, And All That Jazz...you don't have to be a huge theater fan to recognize these favorites. And even if this is your first exposure to them, expect to have them running through your mind days after you hear them. A few of the songs pale in comparison to the most popular ones, but overall the tunes in Chicago can stand toe-to-toe with nearly any other musical.

The big turn-off for me was the casting. Renee Zellweger simply failed to bring the character of Roxie to life, I don't know how else to put it. I didn't enjoy her character at all. Catherine Zeta-Jones, Queen Latifah and Richard Gere are more suited to their roles, but they still aren't as good as one could have wished. Lucy Liu was awesome in her brief part, though.

Anyway, Chicago is a good enough movie musical, but when the main character is ineptly handled it makes the whole experience less enjoyable for me. I'd rather just hear the songs and skip past Renee's weird faces and unconvincing acting.