Children of Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Children of Men Reviews

November 17, 2015
Showcasing powerful cinematography of Emmanuel Lubeski and benefiting from Alfonso Cuarons' confident direction, Children of Men offers an unforgettable cinematic experience.
½ November 16, 2015
While watching this film I was truly dumbfounded by legacy it has managed to smear onto film review aggregators and social media platforms. What the film succeeds in is its environment; the plot line, setting, cinematography are all great. And yet, the characters are dull and uninspired, with their qualities and characteristics appearing only as a tool to distract the audience from their placement in the film as merely a vessel to progress the plot. Nearly every character is used in this way, their presence in the film is the equivalent of a street sign; to direct our jaded protagonist and the pregnant-unexplained-soft heart inducing-savior- central plot device through one scene and into the next, before ultimately dying and death I can yield no sympathy for.

Though not indefensible and not necessarily essential, I found the lack of explanation incredibly annoying. What does Kee get pregnant? What is "The Human Project"? How the actual fuck would they find them sitting in the middle of the water, being that they have no direct contact with them throughout the film?

Please someone refute these points as I simply cannot understand how this film has any reputation past being a let-down. Apologies if some of what I've said is explained in the film, I have only watched it once and it was a few months ago.
October 23, 2015
Suspenseful, action-packed and superbly acted and shot dystopian thriller with an amazing cast that will leave a lasting impression on you long after the credits roll.
September 8, 2007
There's none of the labored exposition these types of dystopian thrillers usually have and Cuaron packs every frame with details that slowly reveal a complex world outside of the main plot. It's also tremendously moving, because the film has the perfect balance of cynicism and hope.
March 12, 2015
After seeing this movie several times over the years, I can safely say, "I think that Children of Men is one of the greatest films ever made."
½ January 4, 2007
070809: Ok, nothing to write home about in my opinion. Man assists estranged wife smuggle a pregnant woman out of a future, childless, dictatorial Briton.
½ September 28, 2015
If you are a fan of filmmaking and world-building sci-fi then Children of Men is a must-see for the production values (reminiscent of Brazil in that respect). It looks like a lot of work went into the sets and there are so many extras; it is quite a spectacular, cinematic experience.
½ September 27, 2015
Apocalypse movie. A good one.
May 21, 2011
Never have I felt more exhaustively challenged to find a motive in the mayhem of everybody's intensely focused mindlessness of motivation & incomprehensible conflict of purpose. The only moment that rang true was when everybody stood aside for a brief moment to let the first human on earth in 18 years pass through before resuming their totally inexplicable generalized nationalism of genocide. Everything else was "Whah???!!!" The exact opposite of what any sane person or society would have done, given the same set of circumstantial delimas. If sincerity were honest truth, this movie would have scarfed an Oscar, easy. BUT ITS NOT!!! IS IT?

On 2nd viewing I could find a little more coherence in the story line though the effect of a sudden demographic discontinuity could still not lead to social breakdown but would have the opposite ameliorative impact on an over-populated world that was creating such overwhelming pressure of refugees that it could bring on collapse & a fascist genocidal anti-immigrant backlash that shows no mercy.
June 24, 2015
It's cautionary, emotion-driven and exquisitely thought provoking narrative is stunning enough, but Alfonso Cuaron's direction; superb production design; likeable characters along with a tense, violent (but exceptionally touching) atmosphere make Children of Men stand out and deserve a standing ovation as an achievement in the world of science fiction cinema.
September 19, 2015
I would like to call myself an agnostic atheist. I do not think it is possible to prove or disprove the existence of an eternal being, but still prefer not to believe in one. While I used to be a devout Hindu once, I don't think I would ever turn to a God anytime in the future (but of course, anything is possible). But that doesn't stop me from thinking about any future eventualities that may lead me back to a religious faith.

And then a couple of days back, an interesting scenario presented itself. What if, sometime in the future, we would have to live in a world without children? What if, faced with infertility, we were slowly moving towards our own extinction? At a time like that, when hope recedes and there is no humanity left, is it humanly possible not to take solace under a supreme being? Interesting questions, huh, but scary ones too!

We all know Alphonso Cuaron as the director of the critically acclaimed space epic Gravity. But the Mexican director has had a distinguished career before that one, with some wonderful movies. Children Of Men, a 2006 futuristic sci-fi thriller is one of them. Starring an ensemble cast including Clive Owen, Julianne More, Michael Caine and Chiwetel Ejiofor. The film is set in 2027, where epidemics and social anarchy has left much of the world without political order. Britain is the only surviving nation-state, whose authoritarian government has maintained a tight leash, with immigrants and refugees being treated as animals.

Theo Faron is a disillusioned political activist turned government bureaucrat, whose young son Dylan was killed in an epidemic 20 years ago. His ex-lover is the leader of a rebel group, demanding equal rights and dignity for the refugees. Theo gets drawn into their cause, when she asks him for a favor from his influential cousin, to get transit papers to smuggle a girl out of Britain. And of course, there's another little problem - an unexplained genetic disorder has left the world's women infertile, with the world without a newborn baby for the past 18 years!

The premise is exciting, a unique idea, and can be great action flick. But you see, Alphonso Cuaron isn't your usual filmmaker, he aim is to accomplish something more. He shows us where we are "moving on" as a civilization! His vision is scary; Is this how our world is going to turn into? A world where science has ruled its roost and civilization is coming to a full circle, where faith and religion are ones keeping people alive, in the midst of the the chaos around them? Unlike other sci-fi, where the look of a futuristic world is overdone, Children Of Men gives us a London that is believable. A London where you see roadside make-shift shops and electric rickshaws. I couldn't help having the notion that the place like this really exists, a disintegrating picture of a once prosperous city. That, is not only it, Cuaron has left no unturned in giving this movie a touch of realism. The hero is like one of us, he has his flaws, and doesn't attempt at heroics. He doesn't run around like some superhuman like Tom Cruise (in Minority Report). He is a normal person, a cynic disgruntled with the world, whose last remaining tinge of humanity raises him to do extraordinary things, albeit like an ordinary man.When someone shoots, he takes cover and waits it out. When his loved ones die, his is distraught, but there are no emotional outbursts. This is an action flick alright, but unlike anything anything I have ever seen before.

With Cuaron, you don't expect a poorly made film. With single-shot, realistic action sequences and unhinged realism and authenticity in its execution, he set a new benchmark for action films (unfortunately, not many took the cue). The cinematography is excellent; in one of the action sequences, the camera just follows the characters, and the audience is put right in the mix. Blood splatters on the lens, there is dust, and it all feels so real. Cuaron has deftly ignored the past, the reason behind the turmoil and the infertility, his focus being on the present. A world without children is impossible to perceive. Their little cries, the soft laughter and the aura of life around a child; a world devoid of these is the worst nightmare one could have. And when we see that pain and suffering on screen, we can understand. We empathize with their plight and internalize that pain. It gets personal, and taps into our deepest of emotions

With a great idea, a great script and some solid performances, you can't go wrong, especially with Alphonso Cuaron at the helm. Having loved both Gravity and Y Tu Mama Tambien ( his debut, a Mexican road-drama), I never expected a bad film. But the emotional depth and the hard, jolting realism in Children Of Men blew me away. It is definitely a great achievement, a benchmark in in action films, with a story that is both emotional and scary.

Don't miss this one. Watch it ASAP!
June 6, 2007
This is a film I don't think I could appreciate when I was younger and more interested in less-than-stellar comedies. There are points in the story where I feel like I should get up and do dishes or laundry rather than stay engaged in the story, but investing yourself in this movie pays off in droves.
September 11, 2015
I adore this beautiful piece of art, my favorite film hands down. Everything from the acting, plot, script, cinematography, and score are masterfully done to produce a classic; more people should know of this masterpiece.
February 24, 2010
Flawless filmmaking, potentially my favourite film of all time.
½ September 6, 2015
fantastic set pieces and long shots, but I still felt bored in between.
½ September 4, 2015
I am not a fan of bleak realistic futuristic films, and this one didn't impress. On one level the plot was simple, but it was also confusing at times. The final section had too much action with little plot development, and some scenes were simply not convincing. 1001
August 25, 2015
It doesn't showcase visual spectacle and delivers only occasional thrills, but the heart of this film lies in its gritting and beautiful premise with a solid story-telling.
August 20, 2015
There is no denying that Children of Men is not only a perfect adaptation to PD James' novel, but is also one of the finest films of the 2000's. An Utter Masterpiece of Filmmaking
August 15, 2015
Confused and confusing. So much not explained: why does infertility bring about widespread anarchy ? Why are illegal immigrants being violently repatriated and how ? Depressing, dark, pleased with itself. Like Gravity, from the same director, overrated and no proper story.