Children of the Damned Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
October 2, 2011
This sequel to the superb Village of the Damned is pretty average considering the original Sci Fi horror film is such a chilling, effective and memorable horror film. Using Cold War propaganda, as this was made at height of the Cold War, Children of the Damned fails to establish anything effective in the chill factor. The film is good, not excellent, and considering that this is a sequel to Village of the Damned, it fails in that respect. Instead of an eerie atmosphere, the filmmakers relies more on a poorly constructed moral message in the films plot, and that just doesn't do. The film kind of reminded me of the original Sci Fi film The Day the Earth Stood Still, only this time around the message the film tries to pass along to the viewers is pretty silly, ineffective and it ruins a potentially good sequel. Unfortunately the films "horrifying" moments don't work, not like the first, and as a sequel, it's yet again a film that fails to capture the essence of the original film. A pretty ordinary sequel with nothing that really terrifies the audience. I thought the film had its decent moment, and no it's not a bad film, but considering that the first was so chilling, and cleverly built up to its horrifying conclusion, this film is a let down. The cast on the other hand delivered good performances, which redeemed the film significantly, but it wasn't enough to save this film from being an average sequel. Good idea, but average execution. This is a film that the filmmakers could have taken more time to develop a better plot to.
July 4, 2009
Children of the Damned is a sequel to Village of the Damned. Though it contains the same super genius, psychic children, the actual plot is very different. Rather than being an eerie, disturbing horror, it is a political thriller focusing on cold war paranoia. The reason for the children being here is unclear, unlike the first film, they may be here to help. The fact that they are so advanced and so powerful automatically has them labeled as threats. It's a punchy, well paced film, but also one that prefers it's message over it's story. A more even balance would have been welcome. It's a thinker of a film but one that could learn a lot from it's superior predecessor.
June 5, 2014
Hugely inferior sequel.
DrLappos
½ February 3, 2010
Creepy bugger of a film....loved it.
½ March 11, 2009
This was too boring and I didn't find the kids creepy in this movie at all. A couple of decent scenes, but this is one I would not recommend.
February 4, 2008
Although it is often referred to as a sequel to "Village of the Damned", the plot differs in enough ways to make the claim seriously questionable. No mention is made of the events in the first film. The only real similarity is that the story concerns six children who are perceived as a threat to mankind because they possess strange telepathic and mind-control powers. Unlike the first film, however, the children are of different nationalities and they do not mature at an accelerated rate. Ethical questions are raised and political foregrounding is done in a deft manner in Children of the Damned. Combine this with the taut direction of Anton Leader, nifty noirish-nightmare cinematography, a spooky score and appropriate acting from the genetically-advanced sprogs and you've got a damn fine film.
½ September 1, 2007
Village of the Damned was a lot better. This movie dragged on and made no sense at the end. It also had virtually no tie in with Village of the Damned.
½ July 18, 2007
Children of the Damned is basically the second half of Village of the Damned. Scientists discover several enormously intelligent children with mind-reading abilities and telekinetic powers and attempt to study them. The only true difference is that the children seemed more emotionally evolved in this movie. They didn't seem to posses the idea of 'kill or be killed.' They seemed to want to live in peace with the rest of the world, but the adults of the film clearly had a different idea. The ending was suitable and believable. Children of the Damned, as well as the first movie, are wonderful suspense/science-fiction movies for their time.
½ October 23, 2014
CHILDREN is impeccably scripted, performed, and directed, with excellent cinematography, telling the story of a sort of arms race that ensues when some super-genius telepathic and sometimes children are born, possibly from outer space. Here the children are more the victims than the villains, and the story expands and expounds on its predecessor, tapping into fears of globalization, the Cold War and nuclear warfare, the collapse of tradition, and the shift in morality in the rising generation. It's a fascinating film with a lot to say and it says it very, very ably and powerfully. It's almost diametrically opposed ideologically to its predecessor, VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED, which only serves to make both films more interesting in contrast.
October 4, 2014
Discredits the originals premise of alien impregnation so I'm not a happy camper!
November 11, 2013
As with a number of horror sequels the simplicity of the original is lost and it feels the need to convey a 'message'. It ends up being a bit of a mess but ultimately still quite an enopyable one.
½ November 2, 2013
I should have crushed you the first time I held you to my breast.

Six children are born from women who swear they were not impregnated by a man. The human race thinks the women are crazy, but they are telling the truth. What the women do not know, is that their children are alien babies. The babies grow up into children with the ability of mind control. They all live in the city and they begin forcing the humans they encounter to kill themselves or those around them. Can the children be stopped?

"Why are you here?"
"To be destroyed."

Anton Leader, director of Father of the Bride, and episodes of Rawhide, Perry Mason, Leave it to Beaver, Espionage, Gilligan's Island, The Virginian, and Hawaii-Five-O, delivers Children of the Damned. The storyline for this picture is amazingly compelling, gripping, and a bit uneasy. The action scenes are very well done and the acting was better than I anticipated. The cast includes Ian Hendrey, Alan Badel, Alfred Burke, Shaila Allen, and Martin Miller.

"What would you recommend?"
"Simple. Destroy them."

Children of the Damned is a movie I DVR'd off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) this Halloween season. I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed this picture. I haven't seen the original 1960 picture but I can tell you this is leaps and bounds better than Caprenter's remake. Overall, this is a classic horror movie that isn't a bad addition to you DVD collection.

"I want you to suffer the way you made me suffer."

Grade: B+/A- (8.75)
August 15, 2012
Not as good as the first, but it's not bad. The eeriness is a bit stale, and the plot is rather slow. The kids aren't as creepy, The characters are a bit average, and the ending is decent enough. Not as memorable.
July 9, 2013
bad acting, boring story, not even close to the original
December 28, 2011
meh! it was okay i mean it was nothing special
½ December 4, 2011
Great but not as good as the original
October 17, 2011
CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED (1963)
May 27, 2011
Cleverly combines the creepy kid factor with the paranoia of the Cold War. In some ways this follow-up improves on 'Village of the Damned'. Except for the eery mood that the original captured so well.
December 15, 2010
as good as village of the damned
½ August 18, 2010
this is a pretty good sequel to village of the damned but not as scary and doesnt have quite the same feel but its a good watch 7\10