48% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Chinatown Reviews

August 19, 2014
Jack Nicholson is one of the best actors who can do any kinda role. But this movie is just too tedious and sometimes drags a lot. The typical twist at the end not worth it.
August 15, 2014
One of the best films of all time! Polanski, Nicholson, Towne - that's a blockbuster combination! This is cinema at its' finest form and a throwback to great noir films of the 40s.
May 3, 2009
Good movie, well acted & the story came together...but holy crap was that ending depressing!
August 10, 2014
Messy crime drama that approaches tedium before reaching a knockout finale.
August 10, 2014
Raw and sharp noir, dipped into Polanski touch of brilliance.
August 8, 2014
Great script.. Very good performances. Steady director. Why didn't I see this one sooner? Still own a copy of the screenplay.
August 4, 2014
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
March 12, 2010
(First and only viewing - 12/10/2010)
July 26, 2014
Very powerful and disturbing. Excellently written and acted. The first half is pretty good, the second is amazing. The ending will have your jaw on the ground and staring into the credits hoping that something else will pop up though.
November 17, 2013
In Chinatown's presentation as, partially, an ode to black-and-white detective mysteries, I had a few expectations and fears as to what this could have been: a gimmicky, or perhaps satirical, tribute to film noir that takes the genre's cliches to the extreme, or sheds modern light onto what was, in the 1970s, an outdated genre for storytelling. None of that quite accurately describes Chinatown. The setting is Los Angeles, early 1930s. Private Detective Gittes (Jack Nicholson) has completed what was his typical catch-cheating-husband-in-the-act case. This husband, Mr. Mulwray, is an important figure in L.A. He was co-owner of the city's water department, and then gave it to the government so water would no longer be privatized. Not too long after Gittes takes photos of Mulwray and his secret lover, Mulwray is found dead in the ocean. Mulwray's widowed wife, Evelyn (Faye Dunaway), and her father Noah Cross (John Huston), former co-owner of the water department, hire Gittes for separate matters all linked to the death of Mr. Mulwray. On a larger scale issue, before his death, Mulwray was fighting against a dam that, unbeknownst to the public, would not be used to cure the city's drought, but instead for privatized land owners. This is as much as I can say without feeling I have revealed too much. There are countless plot points, and the film wastes no time in uncovering each one. You see everything through the eyes of Detective Gittes (not as literal as that may sound). That direction bridges a strong connection between the audience and Gittes, and it's a choice of Polanski I very much like. His other life choices.... errrrrr.

Damn, do I want to talk about the story. I will abide to my no-spoiler rule and simply state that Chinatown is far more uncompromising and vicious than I expected, even as my expectations changed throughout the progress of the film. Nicholson and Dunaway, while arguably not the most versatile actors, each add juicy character to their roles. Nicholson is as devilishly charming as he always is, and Dunaway can turn from cold and callous to victimized in a heartbeat. An unrelated tone of the movie I really liked is that there is a light modern touch of how the era is depicted. When I say modern touch, I mean a more realistic touch -- profanity is stronger and racist jokes are addressed as racist, though I would never resist a good China man joke. I loved the story, the style, the acting, the scenery (it's not just Chinatown), the dialogue, everything. I was so involved that when I had to poop in the middle of the movie, I brought the movie with me to the bathroom.
July 17, 2014
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.
November 24, 2012
Uncovering sordid family secrets is bread and butter for private detectives. But for people who cannot stomach scandalous stuff like me would regard sordid secrets as occupational hazards. Jack Nicholson plays a tough, smug, efficient and arrogant detective that we've come to know him in his other movies. Chinatown as a title seems inappropriate since only the last 10 minutes of the film was located in Chinatown of LA. The cliche roles of chinamen and china women in early 50s of USA were represented authentically by servitude roles they held in the rich household of Faye Dunaway.
rthornhill
April 2, 2009
a definitive classic...planning on viewing this again this week with friends.......
February 17, 2008
Una de las mejores películas de la historia del cine, guión, dirección, actores todos en estado de gracia.
MovieReviewer1
June 30, 2014
The movies sharp direction, eye for detail, and engrossing story make Chinatown thrilling until the very end.
June 19, 2007
Deeply pessimistic and haunting. It may be a macabre reflection of Polanski's mental state, but it is powerfully made nonetheless.
June 24, 2014
Numero uno film on my list
TeamCanada
June 20, 2014
+ ...epitome of Hollywood.
VINCENT
June 18, 2014
Bold and brilliant. roman polanski's mistery masterpiece its an attractive,entertaining and powerful film-noir story. Great directing,script (perhaps one of the most brilliant ever on screen), strong performances and a magnificent,tour-de-force,shocking ending.
June 16, 2014
This is one of the best pieces of film history, cinema has to offer. It boasts a twisting turning screenplay that always seems to be a turn ahead of the audience. It has great performances, noen of which better then Nicholson's turn as Jake Gittes. Polanski is able to guide the film and not lose focus like he so often does, if you are a fan of Noir movies, this is the mother of them and what a delightful treat it is even after all these years.