Five Favorite Films with Chuck Palahniuk

Summary

In honor of his latest novel-cum-film, Choke, opening this week nationwide, bestselling author Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club) shares his Five Favorite Films with Rotten Tomatoes! Back to Article

Comments

Mister_Prophet

Will Massaro

I think an automatic requirement for anyone to be awesome is to have Alien on their all-time best movie list.

Sep 22 - 05:58 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

That clip was boring. All the other clips I have seen, especially the red band, have been Hysterical! Unfortunately CHOKE is opening in only 400 theaters this coming week-end, none near me.

I wish there was a spoiler mention for Session 9, haven't seen it yet, it's on my queue. But, what are the odds?

I've never seen Sunset Boulevard, I always thought it was probably a chick flic, maybe I'll check it out now. I've also never seen "they shoot horses. . ."

I loved the film "Fight Club," But I wish it had maintained the ending that was in the book. No idea why they had to change it like that. . .

Sep 22 - 06:07 PM

bu11et_pr00f

bu11et_pr00f Last

Jones, what are you, five years old? In that case, why not add AVP and Transformers?

Kids...

Sep 23 - 11:23 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Ditto, Tom. I always wondered why they changed the ending too. They also changed how the narrator met Tyler Durden, which I think was one of the few improvements the film made on the book. Nonetheless, it was a lost opportunity to insert that great line, "A moment is all anyone can ever expect from perfection." I did like the movie ending, however. But the way the book ended was far superior, closed the story on an entirely different charge. I imagine they changed it because they found it too ambiguous for a movie audience, which is a shame.

Admiral, it's too bad you haven't read more of Palahniuk's work. Haunted, for me, is probably his best. I also really enjoyed Diary and Lullaby. But Haunted, definitely, above and beyond. You're right though, his writing style is an acquired taste. But boy what a taste worth acquiring.

Sep 23 - 02:40 PM

SPERMIAN

Spermian Jones

Where is Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2? What about Jurassic Park and The Incredible Hulk and The Dark Knight?

Sep 22 - 07:53 PM

Socio

Socio .

You're kidding, right? I sure hope so. The spiderman movies can eat a dick. The Dark Knight should not even be in the same category as those POS movies.

Sep 23 - 12:53 PM

Clifford2021

bob barker

He only can pick 5, give him a break. Id also like to think that if he were to select 5 movies out of all the movies out there they would have meaning and not be a bunch of mainstream super hero movies

Sep 25 - 07:58 AM

Brad 3000

Brad Arnold

Woo Hoo! Way to go giving props to Session 9. It is one of the best horror movies of the last 15 years and doesn't get nearly enough recognition.

Sep 22 - 08:32 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Rockwell is a fascinating actor. I just saw him do an amazing job in the #$#$ film Snow Angels. As great as he was in it, still, stay away. . .

Sep 22 - 09:06 PM

reapermad

Ryan Kelley

Chuck is a GOD! The greatest novelist of the new era! Spermian Jones needs help. Poor bastard thinks this is the top five of Chuck Norris. Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2? What about Jurassic Park and The Incredible Hulk and The Dark Knight? You really don't know who Chuck Palahniuk is. Pick up a freakin' book once in a while you retard!

Sep 22 - 09:09 PM

reapermad

Ryan Kelley

....not that any of those movies are bad, it's just not a Palahniuk list. Read who's list you're reading before leaving a comment.

Sep 22 - 09:10 PM

merrygoround

Josh Hoffman

"Chuck is a GOD! The greatest novelist of the new era! Spermian Jones needs help."

reapermad... he was clearly joking. I would hope that someone who read chuck palahniuk would at least be able to pick up on sarcasm if nothing else. p.s. palahniuks not that great.

interesting guy in some respects, and interesting list. makes me want to check out the films that I haven't seen.

Sep 22 - 09:30 PM

digitalrelic

Jason Stieber

Love Palahniuk's books. Cool to see his movie tastes reflects my own(Session 9! Yes!).

Sep 22 - 09:38 PM

knowingtoast85

brian Firenzi

I like lists with a couple of unsafe choices, but Session 9 wasn't my bag. Gory psychohorror is great, great fun to me, but I couldn't get past some of the performances. I do support the hell out of low-budget filmmaking though, so whatever else these Session 9 guys have come up with, I'll check it out.

Sep 22 - 10:09 PM

jasper de large

jasper de large

knowingtoast, i don't really recall much of the gore from session 9, but it has been a good while since i sawr it.

oh, and 'these session 9 guys' would be brad anderson. check out the machinist, or if gore is your bag, maybe don't.

he's also made this year's transsiberian which is generating good reviews

Sep 23 - 01:21 PM

~*Admiral Snowstorm*~

Dominique Amsterdam

Well, I haven't seen Session 9. Now I know everyone dies. Thanks Chuck.

Not too bad a list. I'm kind of surprised at it; if I saw it without knowing whose it was, I probably wouldn't have guessed Chuck Palahniuk. It isn't really that great, but oh well, it's at least a little more original than Dane Cook's Internet Male list of favorites.

Can't say I really like Palahniuk's books...at all. Choke was faintly funny in some parts, Fight Club was rather bad, and I don't really feel the need to read his other books since he basically makes the same book over and over. One day I may rent Invisible Monsters, since that seems to be the consensus for his best book, but eh, I have a lot of problems with his phrasing, vocabulary, and just style of writing in general (no, I don't care about the over-the-top obscene craziness that goes on; I'm no prude. I'm talking about the way he writes that stuff that bothers me). It's never a good thing when it's a chore to finish a book. I may see Choke, though. It was difficult to finish it, but the movie should go down a little more easily.

Sep 23 - 03:41 AM

pdx movie fan

christopher atkins

If you didn't like Choke, stay away from Invisible Monsters. Personally, Choke's my favorite, and I've read all his books, even Fugitives and Refugees (although part of that has to do with it being a guide to my hometown). Invisible Monsters is by far his most annoying book, as it uses a narrative gimmick that really grates at the nerves after a while (Flash and I'm... *blag*)

If you do want to give Chuck another chance, I'd recommend Haunted. It's a longer book, but the narrative structure of the thing is set up as a series of self-contained stories set against a larger framework. It's a good book and is less annoying than some of his others.

As far as Choke the movie, I can't wait. Like I said, it's my favorite Palahniuk book, and I really like Sam Rockwell. I'm hoping to see it this weekend.

Sep 24 - 11:47 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Nice to see another recommendation for Haunted. All these literary RT posters coming out of the woodwork is so a breath of fresh air. I agree that Monsters, though saddled like all his books with very poignant and socially significant themes, is definitely the worst and most annoying read. Especially if you already don't like his style.

Sep 25 - 10:18 AM

Bulletproof_Animal

Martin Errington

"You really don't know who Chuck Palahniuk is. Pick up a freakin' book once in a while you retard!"

I want it brought to everyone's attention that sarcasm/irony does not translate well on these kinds of boards. I suggest that whoever made this nasty comment, calling someone a retard, should give the benefit of the doubt or at least ask if they're joking before coming out with crap like that.

Sep 23 - 08:12 AM

gibbyg2001

Chris Gibson

YES! So glad to see someone giving props to Session 9! Choke, the movie, looks awfull though. The book was amazing!

Sep 23 - 08:22 AM

bu11et_pr00f

bu11et_pr00f Last

Kids...

Sep 23 - 11:23 AM

knowingtoast85

brian Firenzi

I feel for you, Spermian. You made a funny sarcastic joke and you get nothing resembling reason in response.

Sep 23 - 12:17 PM

Socio

Socio .

Sep 23 - 12:53 PM

jasper de large

jasper de large

he's also made this year's transsiberian which is generating good reviews

Sep 23 - 01:21 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Sep 23 - 02:40 PM

007

First Last

This man is obviously evil.

Do you enjoy being evil, Chuck Palahniuk?

Sep 23 - 07:34 PM

knowingtoast85

brian Firenzi

Ouch, I saw The Machinist...ouch.

But Transsiberian is something I was already interested in, so I'll go see it while it's still playing down the street.

And as for the gore, I just remember some guy getting a sharp thin implement through the eyeball in Session 9 (that's not a spoiler, right?) and that's about it.

Sep 23 - 11:15 PM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer