Christine Reviews

January 4, 2008
Honestly not that great, but has its moments and it is an 80's film based on a good Stephen King book, so can't hate on it too much!
November 2, 2011
A minor work by Carpenter but still thoroughly entertaining. Great character acting by Robert Prosky and Roberts Blossom as well.
WrenchLT
March 28, 2011
I usually don't tend to find possessed vehicle movies particularly frightening but there was something really menacing and chilling about "Christine" - the devilish Plymouth Fury that seduces a 17 year-old college boy into fixing her up to her former glory to get up to more murderous mischief. It's pretty tame violence wise with the bad language being far harsher, but it's a really enjoyable film with good suspense and tongue-in-cheek humour. One of my favourites from Carpenter.
June 4, 2007
Totally ridiculous, but fun at points. Not one of Carpenter's stronger efforts, but far from his worst.
½ September 6, 2010
A great story from Stephen King, it may sound silly at first sight, but if you see it you'll see what a great psychological and supernatural horror movie it is.
TheDudeLebowski65
August 22, 2010
John Carpenter adapts Stephen King's novel with skillful precision. A high school kid becomes obsessive in his feelings for a very strange car he has bought. The car is given the name Christine and repays her owner's adoration by "taking care of" his enemies. It is fun watching Keith Gordon, owner of Christine, go from wimp to self proclaimed stud. Also in the cast are: John Stockwell, Alexandra Paul, Harry Dean Stanton and David Spielberg. It is super cool watching Christine repair her damaged parts. This is an underrated movie that deserves a repeat viewing. Christine is horrifying and is one of the best Stephen King adaptation ever. The film is terrific and the cast is very good here. A definite classic of Horror cinema. I read the original work by Stephen King, and the filmmakers have done a great job at adapting this awesome story. For me, Christine is one of the best film adaptations of a Stephen King Novel. Even there are a few things that were changed, most of the elements that made the book so good are here. John Carpenter not was able to adapt a book, but in the process he was able to make the film his own. The film has a sense, and a style that could only come from John Carpenter. The story of "Christine" is almost a lkove story between a boy and his car, or as they say in the book, a love triangle. Christine knocks off her potential rivals as the car is seemingly jealous at the main characters girlfriend and best friend. One of the high points of the film is of course the fact that the 1958 Plymouth Fury is itself a character as it kills off it's rivals, it's one of the most frightening "characters" in horror history. The love aspect with the car works well because after men and ares are one. We've always had an affinity with cars and always will. Christine is a terrifying Horror film, and is one of the best examples of a near perfect Stephen King film adaptation.
FilmFanatik
½ April 3, 2008
Fantastic flick, but the ending was a little subpar to me.
April 3, 2007
I think this is just about the best you can get out of a movie about a killer car. The characters are decent, the acting surprisingly strong, and the plot compelling if you can suspend disbelief at the utter bizarreness. It isn't scary in the slightest, and if you're scared of a murderous car then I feel really sorry for you, but it's a well-done film in a sort of creature movie way. It's sort of interesting to see Christine act essentially like a jealous, primal human woman with absolutely no sense of inhibition or morality. Perhaps I'm reading into it too much...there's a scene where Christine forces a girl to choke on a hamburger, I don't think it's the brightest film in the world. I had fun watching it though.
November 17, 2009
Just about the best Stephen King adaption out there along with The Shining. John Carpenter was able to take this story seriously and make it believable, something nearly impossible to do in the 80s. It's a great dramatic piece as well as a horror. Arnie is great because he's completely relateable and you can feel his slip into obsession all the more closely. The music choices were great and definitely creepier than one would expect.
September 13, 2009
I'm a major fan of both John Carpenter and Stephen King movies, but "Christine" is one of their low points for me. I didn't find it that scary, and the idea of a car coming alive and killing people I don't know...just a little too farfetched I suppose.
½ September 8, 2009
Not a great adaptation from Carpenter but then it is one of the most overrated books of all time. Quotable but not scary.
July 27, 2009
There are no words that can truly describe the power and passion of Christine.

Anyone who owns an older car will be able to associate with the obsession that takes over nerdish Arnie's life when he restores Christine, the beautiful Plymouth Fury.

John Carpenter's excellent directing brings the car to life to such a point where as you're watching, you become so entranced that you forget she isn't alive.

The actors are well chosen for the roles they play, and give excellent performances. This, accompanied by excellent photography, special effects, timing and musical score make Christine a definite must-see movie.

Please Note: The British TV edit cuts out some of the best scenes, so this movie is best seen on DVD or video.
March 28, 2009
Stephen King and John Carpenter teaming up? Excellent. Although the film is pretty successful, it doesn't match the horror or thrill levels you would expect from these two greats. It DOES, amazingly, make you forget that you are watching a film about a killer CAR. Never camp, but sometimes comical, the credit can go to the pairing of the car with Keith Gordon. Gordon manages to go from Geek to Badass with a convincing performance. He also brings out rather odd chemistry between himself and the car. Also it's nice to see a Jock and a Geek start out as friends and work on that dynamic. The soundtrack is also perfect and always brings a sinister smile along whenever the radio kicks in.
TheGame90
November 17, 2008
Good movie. The nerd turning to a badass was great and there was some nice camera work. The part when the car heals itself was pretty cool
SilentWarProductions2009
June 11, 2007
Directed by: John Carpenter.
Starring: Keith Gordon, John Stockwell, Alexandra Paul.

Out of many of my friends on my list, alot them have it as 'not interested', my curiosity is why? As many know this is directed by none other then John Carpenter.

What helps to make this a step above films more recent like these is its great execution, faith to its source material and an injection of life into one of its leading characters. When you get a film like this, you would automatically think it is silly that its about a killer car, I'd have to agree with you that the premise is silly, but it depends on what angle it is played at and how it is executed....Christine is one of those rare classics that works. For a majority of the film we are introduced to Christine, a beautiful red 1958 Plymouth Fury that stood out on its production line, throughout the film we learn briefly about the history of Christine and we see her ways up until the end of the film, that injection of life into this character is what I enjoy about films focused on something that isn't flesh and bone, it shows talent when you can do something like that and make it believable. John Carpenter was a great choice for a project like this, especially when he is a man who does really well at focusing on the protagonist, he executes the film extremely well and shows great control. The special effects are shockingly brilliant, first time I saw this I was expecting some cheesy special effects when Christine rebuilds herself but I was wrong, it is very, very impressive for its day. The acting is not really anything to jump up and down about, although I did like Keith Gordon's turn with his character, the rest of the leads are quite new and mediocre.

There was one thing I wanted from the film, I wanted it to be a little darker and meaner, to give the main character a bit more of a scarier edge. But aside from that the film will remain a classic and like Halloween, is one of John Carpenters best.
August 4, 2006
Pretty disappointed with this one the memery of film was much better than the film itself.

Watchable, but has it's boring parts.
½ October 3, 2007
Cool Car...Freaky Film ^_^
July 26, 2007
some of Carpenter's best cinematography--shiny, warm and possessed, like the car; the movie's over-the-top; Keith Gordon's acting is over-the-top great
July 14, 2007
A decent horror story by Stephen King, about a 1950's sports car that kills in interesting ways. Not too bad, but it didn't interest me much.
garyX
February 10, 2007
Popular car based horror that has the same weakness all Steven King adaptations have; Steven King's ideas are really, REALLY lame. What is scary about an old car, exactly...? Competently executed, though but nothing more.