Christmas Evil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Christmas Evil Reviews

½ October 18, 2011
As if a Norman Rockwell painting was shattered over the fireplace, a child's fragile perception of Santa as a caretaker is skewed when he sees Santa caressing his mother's leg. If your idea of heart-stopping insanity is a man humming Christmas tunes and donating toys to mentally challenged children, this is the movie for you. The whole premise is far-fetched and ripe for a dark comedy, not a psychological drama. The film is entirely poker-faced when a newscaster announces "avoid anyone dressed as Santa" and during a police lineup where they coerce belly laughs out of the suspects. The film feels very dated and is exquisitely moronic. The last frames defy justification and only accentuate the film's tin-ear fancifulness.
June 15, 2011
This is a slasher movie where the psycho is obsessed with creating a great Santa Claus for children, and with punishing the adults who don't believe anymore of course. He even works at a toy factory! The guy who plays him is pretty creepy, but there's not as much blood and gore as there could have been, and the other actors aren't so good. Overall, it's an okay Christmas horror movie.
½ March 31, 2011
This started out rather slowly, but kept building. It winds up getting more and more serious until it just goes flat-out silly at the very end - with an ending totally off-the-wall and completely insane that I have to give the filmmakers props for being so ballsy. It may not be perfect, but it's got some good things going for it.
½ January 2, 2009
After Harry sees a man dressed as jolly St. Nick make love to his mother one Christmas Eve as a child, he grows up obsessed with Santa Claus, going so far as to spy on neighborhood kids and keep his own list of who's been naughty and nice. One Christmas Eve, he snaps. A character study and not a slasher film, despite the marketing. It alternates between atmospheric and darkly witty, and just plain ridiculous. Still, it's probably the "best" killer Santa movie ever made.
½ November 30, 2007
Wouldn't let my children see this one. Just a little to off the wall, Mom and Santa Scenes are something that Jr is going to ask about erest asured.
½ July 14, 2007
A terrible movie. It's not Santa running around killing people like they make it out to be. The actual story has a mentally ill toy factory worker who is obsessed with the idea of Christmas. Brandon Maggart would've been better off growing his white beard for this movie. The film also looks dark and murky. I hated it for misrepresentation. Check out Santa's Slay and Silent Night Deadly Night, which are more in line with a killer Santa image.
December 12, 2009
I don't think since Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer have I seen such a disturbing and convincing performance, Brandon Maggart very effectively portrays a very mentally unstable man who embarks on a very odd, and bloody journey through the snow covered streets of New York city dressed as Santa and set out giving presents to those who have been good, and a well placed axe to the head to those who have been naughty. This is a hell of a lot of fun to watch, but only if you are in the mood for something a little darker than the regularly scheduled Christmas films that are usually on TV this time of year.
January 30, 2007
My second favourite Xmas film after A Christmas Story. Brandon Maggart's perfomance is truly amazing, it's too bad he wasn't in more films. And after just watching it again, Jackson was far ahead of him time. The image of Santa being chased by villagers with torches in the style of Universal monsters isn't too far from how he's treated by the public today who don't want you saying "Merry Christmas". Brilliant and thoroughly entertaining. Much closer to Taxi Driver or Driller Killer in being the story of a lonely, disturbed man going insane rather than the slasher films everyone wants this film to be. I am a little surprised when after someone watches it they still insist on throwing it in the slasher genre (a genre I love, but c'mon if this is a slasher film then so is Taxi Driver, 187, Death Wish, etc) when it clearly isn't.
December 30, 2006
Gave this another watch tonight as part of my Christmas anti-programming regimen, and I was amused by how much it grows on you when you know how strange it gets in the end.

Such a bizarre ending, it's worth the watch for the last ten minutes alone, and the John Waters commentary is a lot of fun to listen to as well.

Worth a rental at the very least.
January 21, 2012
Low budget doesn't bother me, but bad acting and bad writing do. The entire premise is shaky and hard to believe from the start - the kid knew it was his dad, so what was the big trauma? Later, we have a scene right out of a medieval period piece with the "villagers" brandishing torches and chasing the villain through the streets of town. Effects are about what you'd expect on this budget; actually, that's being generous on my part. This is just lame.
December 22, 2011
It's a Christmas movie about a mentally troubled man who thinks he's Santa Clause. This movie strings scenes and flashbacks together pretty poorly. There isn't a whole lot of dialogue. With this movies flaws I must say the ending I did love and if you want to see one great twist(?) ending look no further than Christmas Evil, lol. I just loved how it ends xD
½ August 15, 2010
Nothing spreads holiday cheer like a slasher pic showing Santa hacking a midwestern family to death. Merry Christmas.
June 24, 2009
While the poster art seems to promise a Christmas slay-ride along the lines of "Silent Night, Deadly Night", one-hit wonder Lewis Jackson's oddball holiday thriller is in reality something altogether stranger and more interesting. Rather than simply dishing up a hamfisted story about a crazy guy who dresses up as Santa and hacks up a bunch of naughty teens, Jackson (clearly marching to the beat of his own insane drummer-boy) instead gives us a gloriously weird tale of a man who, for reasons never really explained, desires to be Santa Claus so fervently that he finally loses his grip on reality, decks himself out in Kringle drag, and spends one last, lonely holiday season driving around town in a van painted up to look like a sleigh. Sometimes he does horrible things, like massacring a trio of churchgoers with a tin soldier toy (and an axe for good measure), but other times he does nice things like delivering a load of presents to sick kids at the local hospital. You never quite know whether he's going to be naughty or nice, and therein lies this flick's uneasy charm. There's never any real indication as to why our Claus-worshipping hero (well played by Broadway thesp Brandon Maggart) goes off the deep end... it's something to do with an unhappy childhood, which manifests as a spectacular case of frustration with the modern world's lack of true X-mas cheer. Jackson presents Maggart's spiral into insanity with an almost Fassbinder-like detachment, steadfastly refusing to play by the genre's rules... ultimately there's a kind of sad poignancy to it all. Maggart's bloody, Quixotic quest to become the living spirit of Christmas for a world that's long since stopped caring plays out more as a demented tragedy than a gory serial killer flick. Stick around for the mind-bending final shot, which seems patently lunatic until you listen to the director's commentary track (at which point it becomes clear that it was just a case of clumsy editing).
½ December 18, 2008
Holy crapathon! A wannabe "Henry: P of a S K"... doesnt even near "Black Xmas" (2006) or "Silent Night, Deadly Night."
½ December 3, 2008
i gave this half a star cause i laughed once but avoid at all cost! movie sucked. wasn't close to scary, gory or enjoyable.
September 20, 2007
I have to admit, this is funny in some ways, but it's one of those cheesy slasher movies I can watch over and over again!
½ January 3, 2015
Not really a slasher Santa flick, more an intriguing, far more psychological analysis of depression and psychosis. An unsual film, but clearly a strong filmmaking voice behind it.
November 27, 2008
This was so much better than I remembered. Actually, this may be the best Christmas themed horror movie I've seen. Why? Because this actually felt like a Christmas movie with horror elements than a horror movie that just happened to take place on Christmas.

Christmas Evil is basically William Lustig's Maniac, only the maniac in this movie is all about Christmas and Santa Claus. This movie is light on bloodshed and kills, and instead showcases the main character's descent into madness as he hopes to become Santa Claus and bring out the true spirit of Christmas. The lead, Brandon Maggart, does a commendable job and he keeps things interesting throughout. He is convincing, especially when he puts on the suit and beard. Despite him being mentally deranged you find yourself caring about what happens to him. His intentions are seemingly good, even if deranged.

The ending (which I can't even believe I forgot about after my first viewing) is hilarious and dumb, but somehow perfect for this movie. It needed to end on some sort of bang and this ending is one of those "Christmas miracle" endings you see in lots of Christmas movies. This is a true Christmas horror movie. This isn't Black Christmas, P2, or Silent Night, Deadly Night where it's just a basic slasher that takes place on Christmas. Christmas Evil is a Christmas movie first and a horror movie second. That's why I would say this is the best Christmas horror movie out there and is worth watching for those who enjoy these kinds of movies.
December 20, 2014
More deranged holiday film going! CHRISTMAS EVIL is simply a big mess.
½ December 3, 2014
Terrible! But has a cool ending!