• PG, 1 hr. 34 min.

84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

Christmas with the Kranks Reviews

luccav78
June 26, 2014
A horrific disaster of a comedy
April 12, 2014
CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS, starring big names such as funnyman Tim Allen and starlet Jamie Lee Curtis (neither whom I ever saw in any major film release ever again after this), is the absolute pits- the very bottom of the pits. This is probably the worst Christmas movie of all time that was a major Hollywood release. It is totally unfunny from beginning to end, and it is such a miscalcuated effort, I wondered why the studio executives responsible for this disaster were so keen in forcing this movie into production through the assembly line. Well, they got what they deserved- it is completely unoriginal, terribly made, and stupid- appallingly stupid, actually.

I was also very offended by this movie's utterly shamless promotion of conformity- anyone who saw this, and liked it- should commit themselves to a psychiatric ward. For holiday films, this is as bad as it gets- this does not even deserve to be on Santa's naughty list- even mentioning this garbage with Santa's naughty list is, I think, deeply insulting.
March 15, 2014
I thought this movie was good not as good as the first santa clause but funny I think everybody should watch.
July 29, 2008
I find the 5% Tomatometer rating for this to be amazingly harsh. Aside from a lull about midway through this is funny stuff. I laughed pretty much throughout.
December 19, 2007
What happened to Tim Allen?
January 6, 2014
Although this is a treasured film of someone close to me, largely because of that person's memories of watching it yearly with young children, I cannot recommend it. I don't have an issue with the premise, but with the depiction of the townspeople who are so obsessed with Christmas that they can't understand why the Kranks (Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis) don't want to celebrate it because their daughter is out of town. Friends and neighbours harass and bully the hapless Kranks to the point where Curtis's character is afraid to leave the house. Then, suddenly, when the daughter reveals she is able to come home after all, the neighbours rally around to execute a last-minute Christmas party and dinner. I suspect this is supposed to be heart-warming, but it comes across as controlling and nasty. A ridiculous, tacked-on sub-plot about burglars pops up at the last minute just to pad out the running time.
January 2, 2014
Much like a ruminant, this film has digested numerous vaudevillian tropes and "motifs" (if I may disgrace the artistic term) and regurgitated them. Then they were processed in the editing room, and, voila! A rigid formulaic slapstick starring Tim Allen. Hah! That should light up the box office more than the Frohmeyer (ugh) homestead.
December 30, 2013
One of the most formulaic, lame Christmas movies in existence.
Davis  P.
December 24, 2013
I thought this movie because of Tim and Jamie, was very funny, and entertaining.
September 28, 2007
An annoying and pointless Christmas movie with little reason to exist. It never is remotely funny and its message of forcing people to celebrate Christmas is downright idiotic and mean spirited
October 11, 2010
Okay, if you've read the reviews and the comments, and seen the user rating, you probably are wanting to avoid this movie at all costs. But before you decide, I strongly suggest you read this. First off, many of the negative critiques have a lot of validity. This is indeed a flawed film. It however has become very popular to bash this film. Many of the more outrageous complaints about it seem to have more to do with the fact that many people seem to jump on a bandwagon, and not only deem this movie sub-par, but utterly awful. Here are the things that are indeed true. First, the movie doesn't really stick to a central message about Christmas, and how the characters should handle the bullying by their neighbors. Second, Jamie Lee is way over the top throughout most of the movie. She does seem to do a little too much screaming. Third, many of the jokes are indeed predictable, and might be rehashes of things you may have already seen. And finally, there is a real believability gap in many of the events that take place.

But there are definitely some redeeming factors as well. First, this is a family friendly film. I can't see anyone but the most extreme fundamentalist being offended. If you don't mind somewhat predictable, or exaggerated humor, there are a few fairly good laughs throughout. Also, although the message gets very muddled, it does end with a strong comment about selfishness and selflessness, providing a sappy, but feel good ending. (if you don't choke on the sugar coating.

Do I highly recommend this movie. Nope. But if you don't mind clean, sappy, family friendly humor, by all means go. I really think a lot of the truly nasty reviews stem more from a cinical and jaded perspective, as well as a tendency to jump on the bandwagon, than the actual quality of the movie.
June 19, 2007
WHY SHOULD THE DAUGHTER PAY FOR THE SINS OF THE FATHER?
December 22, 2013
Some sublime, touching elements emerge at the end to redeem the film.
December 22, 2013
This movie is nuts. Crazy and hilarious!
RottenB
December 18, 2013
This movie has a few funny scenes in it. I'm not going to say it doesn't. However, the underlining presence of a Christmas driven "Cult" of a community street steer this one away from enjoyable and make it down right creepy.
December 10, 2013
Not only is Christmas with the Kranks one of the worst Christmas movies ever made, it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Period. I can't believe how unfunny it is. Why? because it took a very interesting idea and transformed it into Home Alone for adults (especially the slapstick pandering in it). And what makes it worse is that the one thing this movie promotes is conformity. The entire neighborhood tries to conform them but they won. I mean by taking those good comedic talents and make them unfunny, it inspires me to punch the faces on the people who made this. Screw this Movie!
November 24, 2013
A decent little Christmas flick that has unforgivable flaws but is full of the spirit of the season; I'd say check it out, despite the horrid reviews.
December 4, 2013
Sheesh. Apparently, taking a vacation and doing something different for the holidays is very frowned upon in this neighborhood.
July 8, 2007
This movie was on TV, and it just happened to be on while I was downstairs. I wasn't actually watching it, but from the tidbits I heard, omg, this movie was TERRIBLE! Just plain awful. All kinds of bad. Beyond dumb.
Worst Christmas movie ever.
November 28, 2013
Not only is "Kranks" sophomoric, unfunny, and inconsistent, but it is a hateful, condescending movie. It actually made me cranky watching it. It tries to get us to believe that Mr. Krank is a bad guy, but he seems to be the only sane person in this insane movie. Barely anything funny.