Critic Review - Q Network Film Desk

even when the film is working, it's hard not to wonder how the in-story videorecording adds to the effect in any appreciable way

February 15, 2012 Full Review Source: Q Network Film Desk | Comments (14)
Q Network Film Desk

Comments

Alex Hex

Alex Hex

Because professional film crews follow high school students around everywhere. It was meant to be filmed from a realistic perspective.

Feb 16 - 10:36 PM

Rafael Vazquez

Rafael Vazquez

I totally agree with you. Some people are just to dumb to realize that.

Feb 17 - 12:24 PM

Wilson Taylor

Wilson Taylor

So a found footage movie is the only way to make a movie feel 'realistic'? If this is the case, then cinema is screwed as we know it.

Apr 2 - 10:49 AM

Charlie Shi

Charlie Shi

I agree with the critic for once. The only complaint I have was the totally unnecessary camera gimmick.

Of course, film crews don't follow high school students around, but why couldn't they have just told the story from an omniscient perspective like every other film with students in it? Chronicle was nowhere near realistic, so why bother pulling this Paranormal Activity style video recording?

Good film overall, but I just thought that the whole camera thing was overdone even for perspective and didn't contribute to the overall indulgence like the director had hoped.

Feb 18 - 01:14 AM

Gregory Bey

Gregory Bey

The reason why they couldn't do it the way you suggested is because theres nothing personal about watching someone else. you don't feel as deep a connection being on the outside. They wanted to show a troubled and bullied teen from his perspective. how many bullied teen movies are from an outside perspective? when you watch it you feel that, yeah it sucks but it's not as big a deal. Seeing it through his eyes made you feel just a little more for his problems and his troubles. but to each his own. i think it wouldn't have grabbed me as well if it was in a regular everyday movie view.

Feb 18 - 11:21 PM

I Hate Teens in 3D

Lionel Cant

that kid deserved to be bullied... intriguing movie, but at no time did I become invested in Andrew. The dad was the best part of that movie.
"I WANT YOU TO SAY YOUR SORRY FOR KILLING YOUR MOTHER..." ----> hahaaaaa that's great

Feb 26 - 08:57 AM

Debbie Lavoie

Debbie Lavoie

No one deserve to be bullied.

Mar 30 - 11:31 PM

Tommy Kelley

Tommy Kelley

I need to explain how brilliant the camera use was in this movie. The main character has a terrible life and he uses the camera first as a barrier between him in the real world, of course they state that specifically in the film. However, by the climax it becomes a metaphor for his egotism and obsession with his newfound powers. The camerawork isn't gimmicky at all, most of the shots are very cinematic and the use of multiple spliced footage is superb.

With Cloverfield, you could take out the handheld cam and still have Cloverfield. If you took the camera out of Chronicle, you'd miss out on half of what makes Andrew the character he is, as well as the character of the camera itself. And this is coming from someone who actually despises handheld cam movies.

Feb 20 - 08:47 AM

Bryan W.

Bryan Wood

I agree with the stuff you said about Chronicle. However, for me Cloverfield felt a lot more personal with the way it was filmed/presented. It also added more suspense for many of the scenes like in The Shining with the famous behind-the-bigwheel shot when Danny was riding down the halls.

Also, for both movies I feel that this kind of viewing takes away that "outside perspective" feeling of a disembodied camera. Less of a "we're watching this happen to people" and more personal.

Juuust me ^_^

Feb 22 - 12:56 PM

Goaway No

Goaway No

I think the movie would have been best if it found a way to mix the trite, overdone found footage crap and standard omniscient filming. While it was OK for the parts about main character it was just absurd the rest of the movie.

Sixth Sense comes to mind, when the poisoned dying kid sets up the camera. I'd rather have a character pop the recordings into a TV and watch the main character's misery than have them flying through thunderclouds and battling while making sure to bring along the trusty cam.

May 15 - 04:42 PM

Patrick McGinnes

Patrick McGinnes

It's called Chronicle. The kid is chronicling his life. It's not a freaking riddle.

Plus the camera adds not only to the angst but to the overall climax. If you can't understand that I think you need to rewatch the film and try to imagine a better story without the camera or maybe pick up a hobby other than film watching. It's pretty dang pivotal.

I would explain why but... then of course that would spoil too much of the story.

Feb 22 - 08:04 PM

Alyssa Lively

Alyssa Lively

I completely agree!

May 19 - 07:13 AM

Mordecai Banda

Mordecai Banda

Unfair. There is no way this movie is rotten.

May 11 - 02:20 PM

Alyssa Lively

Alyssa Lively

I HATE movies that have a first person camera angle. When I found out this was one of them, I expected another Cloverfield fiasco. When I watched it, I don't feel like the angles ruined the movie at all. In fact, I'm excited with how well this movie turned out because it makes me happy that producers could take a great IDEA and implement it in a smart way.

May 19 - 07:12 AM