20% Transcendence Apr 18

Page 1 of 41993
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

September 14, 2007
With an appeal to both adults and children, the British author C. S. Lewis wrote seven books in his Chronicles of Narnia series. The stories are rich in mythology and religious symbolism, drawing upon archetypes from the Norse, Greco-Roman, Persian, medieval chivalric, and Judeo-Christian traditions.

Now comes this wonderful film of the first chronicle, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." The beautiful cinematography and the terrific performances of the children make this film outstanding for family viewing. As integrated with the live actors, the colorful animal characters, especially the Lion (Jesus), reveal brilliant technical film-making as well.

Lewis's books are not overtly allegorical. Rather, the symbols and the messages are subtle. The four children in the story (Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy) were inspired by the actual children evacuated from London during World War II, who spent time in Lewis's home. Lewis wanted his books to be enjoyed by young people who would later in their lives draw the spiritual meanings from the stories. In this area, the film is enormously faithful to the original book and would have made the author extremely proud. 4 Stars 12-29-06 (Updated)
Matthew Samuel M

January 1, 2010
The film suffers from some awkward, slow moments, yet it perfectly captures the magic and wonder of Narnia through its impressive visuals and griping action sequences, along with some engaging performances from the four children and Tilda Swinton. The film is beautiful, powerful, and memorable, especially thanks to not only its dazzling visuals but its intensity, action sequences, and refreshing humor and charm.
Eugene B

August 22, 2008
Visually stunning and thoroughly well-played acting and plot. The first film of the Narnia saga was something more than expected. 4.5/5
Jason S

December 26, 2006
Nice visuals
3niR
3niR

June 13, 2010
I wish my wardrobe would do that :P
Wildaly M

November 19, 2006
Eh.. kids movie.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

December 5, 2011
Narnia is definetely going to appeal to it's fanbase but I thought it was a bit hard to follow and a bit too strange for a kids movie. It has first rate special effects and good acting but it's the far too unusual story and the suitability for kids thats the main problem.
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE was bound to be the start of a whole series of films. In other words, as part of the title is "The Chronicles of Narnia", Disney is going to base a bunch of films on C.S. Lewis's classic saga.

Yes, I said Disney, and in case it is not clear yet, my belief is that Walt Disney's recent motive is to screw up all sorts of what could be good and create an awful film out of it. (Look at what they did to the Herbie series in the new millennium!) But I'd truly have to say that THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE is one of the studio's most fantastic pieces of artwork since THE LION KING.

The best thing about this faithful adaptation is the scenery. Whether it be winter or spring, Narnia is a beautiful land that was colorfully designed by such an artist--please stand up, whoever you are; you deserve an award. Even the battle scenes are gorgeous: though quite violent for a Disney film (not meant as an insult, just a fact), those scenes may just be even more magnificent than the scenes without violence. We see green plains and all in sometimes slow-motion, otherwise fast-paced action, and it is so well-done.

The one thing that irks me about this film, though, is that when I read the source novel (before it came out, obviously), I imagined the characters much, much differently than they were cast. I imagined Lucy to look a little older and talk in a much less shrill voice, for a major discrepancy. Also, I (for whatever reason) imagined that Susan was fat, and that Edmund was taller than Peter. Just saying.

So aside from my odd disappointment, THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE was a great film. It still has Aslan, in a way, portraying Jesus in a metaphorical way (as C.S. Lewis is a Christian author); and it keeps the book's sum-up statement: Curiosity killed the cat. (Or the Lucy, in this case.)
Scott G

October 25, 2011
it's still there for the children.
Eric A

August 9, 2011
Good storytelling movie. Saw it when I was 16 and still thought it was cool, it must be awesome for a little kid.
Matt G

January 21, 2011
Apparently I'm on my own, but I have no idea what people see in these weird Narnia films...
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Really, really, really, really BORING. Liam Neeson will always be amazing but this was really hard to watch all the way through and way too long.
Summer W

July 13, 2007
I didn't know what to expect having not been exposed the stories as a kid. Chris and I both enjoyed it quite a bit.
Jennifer X

May 26, 2007
I think I would give this movie three stars and a half just for the interactions between James McAvoy (who I think is hot even with Mr. Tumnus ears) and Georgie Henley. Everything else is very eh, been there done that 3x and better from Peter Jackson. I liked Tilda though.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 13, 2011
This movie is genius. Genius moral, genius story, and genius acting. Im serious those kids are really good actors and actresses. The witch played by Tida Swinton was tremendous, a perfect choice really. The problem was the humor, which their was none. There will be a lot odf kids seeing this, put in a little humor.
KJ P

January 14, 2010
The imagination of this film is beyond recognition! The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, brings in original fantasy action, a compelling story, an assortment of characters that we all love, and riveting scenery. My eyes were glittering upon every viewing I have had of this particular film, and they will always remain that way from the second Lucy walks through the Wardrobe and into the magical world of NARNIA!!! This film is emotionally gripping, beautiful, and is a fantastic ride for all ages. I love NARNIA!!!
EightThirty .

April 22, 2007
17/01/2011 (DVD)

A wonderful world that hits home as I remembered what it was like to imagine things like this. I sat through the ancient TV version of this some time ago and have been anxious to re-watch this version to make my comparisons, and what a journey it has been. I still got love for the old one because of childhood memories but this version is chocolate.

Although I liked the older TV series of 'Narnia', this more up-to-date take on it was a treat. To see it done with a tidier production and a more visual vision, makes this world of 'Narnia' feel and look real and I felt that the direction of the film was skillfully handled. Well done! A definite plus for me.

I watched this with a 'special feature' on that had pop ups with brief facts which I learned and appreciated during my watch. Apparently 'J. R. R. Tolkien', the author of 'Lord of the Rings' and 'C.S. Lewis' who wrote the 'Narnia' chronicles were close friends who taught in 'Oxford' and were both in the same gang of critics and writers called the 'INKLINGS'. I thought that was interesting.
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

January 5, 2011
Every viewing experience I get from this is A TOTAL BLAST!!! "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe", the first chapter in the Chronicles of Narnia saga, is a visual and fun treat for all.

In this amazing film, the Pevensie siblings are sent to stay in the mansion of their strange uncle while the Air Raids of World War II are invading their home in England. While a game of Hide-and-Seek in the mansion, Lucy Pevensie finds a wardrobe that leads her to the beautiful and magical world of Narnia. Her siblings then discover this realm later on. They encounter talking beaver, warrior centaurs, friendly fauns, and an evil Witch. With the hel of the Narnian army and the great lion Aslan, the Pevensies must battle the White Witch and bring peace back to Narnia.

Story, story, story. Narnia is a very original concept. The plot and story in "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" are amazing, edge-of-your-seat, and well-told. Narnia is notably known for its Christian allegories. The allegories are amazing.

The acting is well-done. The children, James McAvoy, Tilda Swinton, and Liam Neeson are fantastic. So much emotion and is put into the characters.

To wrap things up, lets talk about the effects and action. The effects are amazingly well-done and breathtaking. The CGI creatures are great. Now here comes my favorite part of the movie...THE BATTLE SCENES!!! The final battle scene is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen on the silver screen. So intense and well-designed.

Once you see this, you will fall in love. I did! I saw this three times in the theater and each viewing is a blast. I own the DVD and watch it many times. I love tis film and I think it is one of the best films of the last decade. Beautiful and mesmerizing. A blow-out!

"I ain't gonna smell it if thats what you want."
michael e.
michael e.

December 21, 2010
While it doesn't follow the book perfectly it still is fantastic with fantastic acting, drama, effects, and action scenes, by far the best scene in the whole movie is the final fight with the white witch, i have just never seen so many mythological creatures in one scene let alone fighting each other. And wouldn't you know it they start off the fight with them charging each other in Slo-mo, What could be more awesome than that
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 1, 2010
A very good first installment to The Chronicles of Narnia!
Page 1 of 41993