Box Office Guru Wrapup: Caspian More Prince Than King

Prince Caspian fails to live up to predecessor.

Could moviegoers be holding their dollars for Indy? Disney's heavily-hyped fantasy sequel The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian seized control of the box office throne, but attracted far less business than expected and even fell short of matching its predecessor's bow. Iron Man continued to show off its super strength and finished in second place shattering the $200M barrier in the process. Overall, the box office slumped to the worst performance in seven years for the usually-potent weekend before the Memorial Day holiday frame.

Landing in first place was Prince Caspian with an estimated $56.6M from 3,929 locations for a strong $14,399 average. Though good enough for first place, the PG-rated adventure tale posted a debut that was 14% weaker than the $65.6M opening of the first installment in the franchise, The Lion, The Witch, and Wardrobe, which launched in December 2005. Factor in today's higher multiplex prices and the new Narnia sold about 20% fewer tickets despite playing in 313 more theaters.

With a massive Disney marketing push and no other new releases this weekend to steal away business, Prince was expected to flex much more muscle. Reviews were generally good and the built-in audience was huge considering Lion went on to gross $291.7M from North America and nearly $750M worldwide. Studio research showed that audiences were split evenly between males and females while 52% were age 25 or older, so it did play to a broad crowd. Caspian began its journey on Friday with $19.3M, inched up 5% on Saturday to $20.3M, and was projected to slide by a slender 16% on Sunday to $17M. Final numbers will be released on Monday once Sunday sales are fully tabulated.

Most industry forecasts before the film's release saw the opening landing in the $75-85M range given the strength of the initial Narnia. But the massive audiences that turned out for the first film may have been driven more by The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe than by The Chronicles of Narnia. Moviegoers may have been more excited by that particular story than by the franchise in general making Prince Caspian an installment that generated less enthusiasm. Lion had Biblical parallels that were key in bringing out Christian moviegoers. Caspian did not seem to retain a large share of that crowd hence the smaller numbers.

Disney is moving ahead with its next Narnia tale The Voyage of the Dawn Treader which currently is slated for release on May 7, 2010. But with Marvel Studios recently planting its flag one weekend earlier on April 30 for Iron Man 2, it would not be surprising if Dawn Treader's date were to change as the sophomore frame of the super hero sequel will undoubtedly be gargantuan and a tough act to fight.

In its third weekend, Iron Man remained a formidable contender and grossed an estimated $31.2M slipping only 39%. That makes for a fantastic hold for a super hero film facing a new effects-driven action sequel. After 17 days, the Paramount juggernaut has boosted its tally to an amazing $222.5M. Iron Man beat out the third-weekend declines of most other summer super hero movies that were non-sequels or reboots such as Batman Begins (43%), Superman Returns (44%), Fantastic Four (45%), X-Men (46%), and The Hulk (56%). The metal man even came close to the incredible 37% decline that the first Spider-Man enjoyed in its third frame in May 2002. Iron Man also delivered the best third-weekend gross of any film since Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest's $35.2M in July 2006.

Looking at other tentpole pics opening on the first weekend of May, the granddaddy of them all is Spider-Man which grossed $285.6M in its first 17 days representing 71% of its final tally of $403.7M. 2003's X2: X-Men United and 2001's The Mummy Returns captured 81% and 72% of the overall totals respectively in the first 17 days. Iron Man is not depreciating as quickly as the X-Men sequel did five years ago so its trajectory should be more in line with those of the first webslinger pic and the Brendan Fraser sequel. On that course, Iron Man has a legitimate shot at reaching the $300M mark.

Roughly 30 million moviegoers have now seen Iron Man which bodes well for Paramount's other big summer offering Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull which had its trailer attached to the comic book behemoth. That film opens this Wednesday night at 12:01 a.m. ahead of the long Memorial Day holiday weekend and is arguably the year's most anticipated film. Paramount could conceivably become the first studio in history to generate two $300M+ summer blockbusters two years in a row.

Dropping a spot to third place was the Cameron Diaz and Ashton Kutcher comedy What Happens in Vegas with an estimated $13.9M in its second weekend. The Fox hit is the top choice for moviegoers not interested in action and special effects. It enjoyed a strong hold and dipped only 31%. Cume sits at a solid $40.3M in ten days. With its sturdy legs and a major holiday frame coming up, the $35M-budgeted film could go on to reach $75-80M domestically. Vegas will become Diaz's top-grossing live-action comedy since 1998's surprise hit There's Something About Mary.

Tumbling 59% in its second weekend was the summer box office's first major casualty Speed Racer which collected just $7.6M, according to estimates. The Warner Bros. release has banked a mere $29.8M in ten days and is decelerating at the turnstiles. With a reported budget in between $120M and $160M, the colorful Wachowski Brothers flick looks to limp to a $40-45M finish from North America. Overseas audiences are not feeling the excitement either so it will be difficult to salvage the enormous costs. Internationally the Mach 5 took in a measly $7M from 39 countries this weekend for a puny $24.4M cume.

The spring comedy quartet followed. Baby Mama eased by a mere 26% to an estimated $4.6M giving Universal a sturdy $47.3M. Sony's Made of Honor fell 45% to an estimated $4.5M boosting its total to $33.7M.

Universal's R-rated offering Forgetting Sarah Marshall slipped by only 34% and took in an estimated $2.5M for a $55.1M total. New Line's stoner sequel Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay grossed an estimated $1.8M, down 42%, for a $33.9M sum.

Lionsgate captured an estimated $1M for its Jackie Chan and Jet Li actioner The Forbidden Kingdom which dropped 54%. Cume is $50.3M. Indie sensation The Visitor has been slowly building its audience over the last five weeks and was rewarded with a spot in the top ten. The Overture release played in only 224 sites in its sixth frame and grossed an estimated $687,000 for a respectable $3,067 average. In roughly the same number of theaters as last weekend, Visitor dipped by a scant 6% and its total is now $3.4M and counting.

Opening with impressive results in limited release was Miramax's award-winning Norwegian film Reprise which took in an estimated $47,100 from only three houses for a potent $15,700 average. Overwhelmingly praised by critics, the R-rated film expands to more markets over the holiday weekend.

The top ten films grossed an estimated $124.4M which was down 27% from last year when Shrek the Third opened in the top spot with $121.6M; and down 19% from 2006 when The Da Vinci Cod debuted at number one with $77.1M.

Author: Gitesh Pandya, boxofficeguru.com

Comments

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

i still think Iron Man won't reach 300 million but its definitey

an impressive cume. Still, i am shocked in how little Prince Caspian made and

the dissapointment is growing deeper for poor Speed Racer. I feel so bad for

that film but hey at least it now has company with The Narnia gang. Got a

feeling though that indy won't have the same problem.

May 18 - 03:53 PM

bijibadness

Biji Badness

poor, poor, POOR speed racer. its such a wild little movie, I think its definitely worth viewing over 'iron man' for the second or third time, which appears to be what is happening here. sure Speed racer isnt great or anything, not even close, but its really an experience that I wished more people were open for, the style is unlike anything ive seen on a big screen before. oh well

May 18 - 05:52 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

Oh, sorry, bijibadness, I didn't mean to show sympathy for a

movie that has 77% fresh approval by fellow R.T. members. I know it didn't

reach your high standards of Iron Man, which is the greatest film of all

time. So, I apology for gracing such an unworthy film in your high and

mighty prescence... So, please tell me, which movie will you be, abusing

er, i mean, giving your opinion, hmm? Oh here's an important fact, I know

whatever I see in Speed Racer is more impressive than whats on your

pathetic resume, bijibadness.

May 18 - 07:04 PM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

What a drama queen!!! He never said anything mean to you.

May 18 - 08:32 PM

rgallitan

robin thompson

Uh, I think you might want to re-read bijibadness's comment, and then offer up an apology.

May 18 - 10:37 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

Damn, you people really like ganging up on those who defend

Speed Racer, huh, Well, I have to address several of your "intelligent"

comments. 1)rgallitan, um U think you might need to re-read bijibadness's

comment and offer me an apology because he was being sarcastic with his

sadness over the movie doing so awful. so, no apology needed.

2)AmericanEagleJRL, I am not a drama queen. The comment from bijibadness

was sarcastic, well thought out insult to guys like Speed Racer fans like

me, who enjoyed it and hoped to see do well. He loved quoting all the

reasons fans said it was amazing like, "the style is unlike anything ive

seen on a big screen before, oh well". And here's another clue of his

sarcasim he says, "poor, poor, POOR, speed racer"...yeah that sound sincere?

not to me it didn't and so this guy didn't even have the guts to insult it

straight out and instead decided to mock it sarcastically. offended me!

3)nogard46, I understand your point of the fan's t-meter, but to be fair

plenty of great to good movies have been deemed rotten and are obviously not

crap. You have to admit speed racer is not as bad as its 35% t-meter rating!

I'll be the first to admit it is not a great film but 35%, give me a break.

4)thereign, it really hurts me to see such a respected rt commentor be

reduced to a plain hater for Speed Racer. I mean becoming a hater for any

film should be held for only the worst type of films (see: Made of Honor &

Meet the Spartans). So, you have never given any real reason of your pure

hatred of this film.

7) and finally, TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty, ah the real troll is now

proclaiming others of the disease he has. First of all, i never said I hated

Marvel and have only defended DC from freakin Marvel trolls like you.

Seriously, everyone here who respects all comic books and their history-

"TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty" is an individual who has one idiotic purpose to

see DC films fail and laugh at them when they do because he believes how

mighty Marvel is. He is also one of the main haters for the biggest movie

of the year the Dark Knight. SO, whether or not you like or respect me

realize this... believing in that troll means you support a lunatic who will

be hating and rooting for one of the biggest movies ever to fail. and I hope

no one believes that I am a troll of any kind because i never hate on any

movie of worth and quality. I try my best to love and critique movies and

I rarely ever develop hatred for any of them and herein lies my problem with

the spped racer haters. Its just isn't a movie that deserves to be hated or

mocked nor does it deserve acolades and awards. In the end, i try giving

respect and a chance, which many never did. I saw and liked it, and realize

this film is not worthy of being a mockery.

and if your opinion is different than mine fine but please give the fim

some descent respect, its not Norbit or Gigli, for god's sake, sheesh !!

And please IF I indeed hurt "bijibadness" feelings, I'm sorry.

May 19 - 12:23 AM

sam.chomnoky

sam chomnoky

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe: He wasn't being sarcastic. Calm down a bit. Don't get so fired up.

May 19 - 12:26 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

I thank you guys for your comments. And i am feeling much better

now that i have calmed down. I appreciate thereign's response very much.

"minderbinder", i realize Narnia was not AS big of dissapointment as Speed

Racer but i still the Disney folks won't be happy come the end of the summer

when it doesn't make half of what it thought it would make. And its a

shame about that movie too, good movie wish it did better but i guess thats

what happens when a heroic lion and a pretty boy go up against a heroic

pretty boy ...in a highly advanced iron suit w/ repluser rays, and hell of

an actor portraying him ;) Well, once again sorry to anyone I might have

offended these past few days. I'll go now, gotta rest up to defend Kung-Fu

Panda ;)

May 19 - 06:00 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I feel bad for Speed Racer, i thought it was pretty good. I was hoping for a Speed Racer trilogy, but I doubt we will get sequals now. Glad to see Iron Man still holding strong, it was really good. Im suprised of how much Caspian made it was a good movie, not as good as the 1st one though. I would understand parents not taking there kids mostly boys to speed racer and narnia when you got Indy coming up right around the corner, which will be great. I bet Indy makes over 100 mil next weekend, I will probably see it 2 or 3 times this weekend.

May 18 - 06:23 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I meant how much it didnt make.

May 18 - 06:25 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I meant how much it didnt make.

May 18 - 06:25 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

Oh, sorry, bijibadness, I didn't mean to show sympathy for a

movie that has 77% fresh approval by fellow R.T. members. I know it didn't

reach your high standards of Iron Man, which is the greatest film of all

time. So, I apology for gracing such an unworthy film in your high and

mighty prescence... So, please tell me, which movie will you be, abusing

er, i mean, giving your opinion, hmm? Oh here's an important fact, I know

whatever I see in Speed Racer is more impressive than whats on your

pathetic resume, bijibadness.

May 18 - 07:04 PM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

What a drama queen!!! He never said anything mean to you.

May 18 - 08:32 PM

rgallitan

robin thompson

May 18 - 10:37 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

Damn, you people really like ganging up on those who defend

Speed Racer, huh, Well, I have to address several of your "intelligent"

comments. 1)rgallitan, um U think you might need to re-read bijibadness's

comment and offer me an apology because he was being sarcastic with his

sadness over the movie doing so awful. so, no apology needed.

2)AmericanEagleJRL, I am not a drama queen. The comment from bijibadness

was sarcastic, well thought out insult to guys like Speed Racer fans like

me, who enjoyed it and hoped to see do well. He loved quoting all the

reasons fans said it was amazing like, "the style is unlike anything ive

seen on a big screen before, oh well". And here's another clue of his

sarcasim he says, "poor, poor, POOR, speed racer"...yeah that sound sincere?

not to me it didn't and so this guy didn't even have the guts to insult it

straight out and instead decided to mock it sarcastically. offended me!

3)nogard46, I understand your point of the fan's t-meter, but to be fair

plenty of great to good movies have been deemed rotten and are obviously not

crap. You have to admit speed racer is not as bad as its 35% t-meter rating!

I'll be the first to admit it is not a great film but 35%, give me a break.

4)thereign, it really hurts me to see such a respected rt commentor be

reduced to a plain hater for Speed Racer. I mean becoming a hater for any

film should be held for only the worst type of films (see: Made of Honor &

Meet the Spartans). So, you have never given any real reason of your pure

hatred of this film.

7) and finally, TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty, ah the real troll is now

proclaiming others of the disease he has. First of all, i never said I hated

Marvel and have only defended DC from freakin Marvel trolls like you.

Seriously, everyone here who respects all comic books and their history-

"TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty" is an individual who has one idiotic purpose to

see DC films fail and laugh at them when they do because he believes how

mighty Marvel is. He is also one of the main haters for the biggest movie

of the year the Dark Knight. SO, whether or not you like or respect me

realize this... believing in that troll means you support a lunatic who will

be hating and rooting for one of the biggest movies ever to fail. and I hope

no one believes that I am a troll of any kind because i never hate on any

movie of worth and quality. I try my best to love and critique movies and

I rarely ever develop hatred for any of them and herein lies my problem with

the spped racer haters. Its just isn't a movie that deserves to be hated or

mocked nor does it deserve acolades and awards. In the end, i try giving

respect and a chance, which many never did. I saw and liked it, and realize

this film is not worthy of being a mockery.

and if your opinion is different than mine fine but please give the fim

some descent respect, its not Norbit or Gigli, for god's sake, sheesh !!

And please IF I indeed hurt "bijibadness" feelings, I'm sorry.

May 19 - 12:23 AM

sam.chomnoky

sam chomnoky

May 19 - 12:26 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

I thank you guys for your comments. And i am feeling much better

now that i have calmed down. I appreciate thereign's response very much.

"minderbinder", i realize Narnia was not AS big of dissapointment as Speed

Racer but i still the Disney folks won't be happy come the end of the summer

when it doesn't make half of what it thought it would make. And its a

shame about that movie too, good movie wish it did better but i guess thats

what happens when a heroic lion and a pretty boy go up against a heroic

pretty boy ...in a highly advanced iron suit w/ repluser rays, and hell of

an actor portraying him ;) Well, once again sorry to anyone I might have

offended these past few days. I'll go now, gotta rest up to defend Kung-Fu

Panda ;)

May 19 - 06:00 PM

nogard46

joe smith

speed racer sucks! It was a cellphone movie, meaning you spend more time looking at your Cell phone than wanting to watch the mess on the screen.
Overuse of effects, bad acting, bad story! Glad to see Iron man pwning face all over it!

I don't want to be a broken record but the movie companies better watch out, this year the econmy is not good enough to support that many BO hits.

But more and more I see the Wall E trailer the more I want to see it. Wall E FTW!

May 18 - 07:48 PM

nogard46

joe smith

oh and the RT meter from users is high for Speed Racer because most people who dont like the film don't even care enough to submit a rating. It is well known there is heavy peer pressure from RT members to fall inline to support certain films, no matter how much the real world the real movie veiwers hate the film, RT users/lifeless/clueless movie viewers and for the most part will bully you for thinking different than the majority. Call it the RT USers SHEEPING effect, So please don't follow the RT user meter its as useful as a underwater Umbrellla.

May 18 - 07:54 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I agree with you some what... Like on Indys meter it says 65%... Most quotes say I love Indy or based on the trailer or I think it will suck, then one some users see it they wont change there rating.

May 18 - 08:44 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I mean have u ever thought maybe alot of people liked it, on yahoo it got an average B rating from users. I would give it a B ...Iron Man A-...Caspian B...Indy will be an A!!!

May 18 - 08:46 PM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

What a drama queen!!! He never said anything mean to you.

May 18 - 08:32 PM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

Of course the DC fanboy would complain about Iron Man yet like Speed Racer, it just proves he is a retard.

I love how Iron Man made more in its third weekend alone than what Speed Racer has made since it came out.

May 18 - 08:33 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

May 18 - 08:44 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

May 18 - 08:46 PM

JHolmes17

Jonathan Holmes

It is truly amazing to me that a movie like Speed Racer can do so poorly at the box office, but movies like What Happens In Vegas and Baby Mama are worth the price of an admission ticket. Yes, Speed Racer wasn't perfect, but it was an experience and it showed the Wachowski Bros. once again pushing the envelope on fillmaking, visually, and, IMO, it was leaps and bounds better than the crappy Baby Mama and the awful romcom What Happens In Vegas.

May 18 - 08:52 PM

acebandit22

Ian Crowe

I have a feeling that prince caspian's weaker opening might be caused by families deciding to wait for memeorial day weekend to view the film rather than being caught in the rush on the first weekend. i would be surprised if its gross next weekend wasnt nearly the same or a little higher than this weekend's gross. overall i thought it was better than the first and would give it a B . even my date liked it, even though she was incredibly skeptical about it at first. unfortunately the dwarfs scared her, though (little people freak her out)

May 18 - 09:11 PM

thereign

lance berry

I sometimes question the accuracy of the tomatometer. If you look at some of the reviews, positive or negative, it seems like whoever's choosing to label something "fresh" or "rotten" just skims a review and takes a great sounding line from it and posts it as one or the other. Then when you look at the review, the writer's intention is exactly the opposite of whatever its rating is!

I can't tell you how many times I've clicked on a review because it sounds like it might be interesting to read, then when I actually start looking at the review, the reviewer's actual message was the opposite of the "fresh" or "rotten" rating! Weird!

RT, clean up the act a little, huh?

(Although I do believe the horrible reviews for SR because it just was that bad of a film, and the fact it tumbled almost 60% in viewership makes me pick my skull up off the floor each time I laugh my head off!)

May 18 - 10:09 PM

rgallitan

robin thompson

May 18 - 10:37 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

Damn, you people really like ganging up on those who defend

Speed Racer, huh, Well, I have to address several of your "intelligent"

comments. 1)rgallitan, um U think you might need to re-read bijibadness's

comment and offer me an apology because he was being sarcastic with his

sadness over the movie doing so awful. so, no apology needed.

2)AmericanEagleJRL, I am not a drama queen. The comment from bijibadness

was sarcastic, well thought out insult to guys like Speed Racer fans like

me, who enjoyed it and hoped to see do well. He loved quoting all the

reasons fans said it was amazing like, "the style is unlike anything ive

seen on a big screen before, oh well". And here's another clue of his

sarcasim he says, "poor, poor, POOR, speed racer"...yeah that sound sincere?

not to me it didn't and so this guy didn't even have the guts to insult it

straight out and instead decided to mock it sarcastically. offended me!

3)nogard46, I understand your point of the fan's t-meter, but to be fair

plenty of great to good movies have been deemed rotten and are obviously not

crap. You have to admit speed racer is not as bad as its 35% t-meter rating!

I'll be the first to admit it is not a great film but 35%, give me a break.

4)thereign, it really hurts me to see such a respected rt commentor be

reduced to a plain hater for Speed Racer. I mean becoming a hater for any

film should be held for only the worst type of films (see: Made of Honor &

Meet the Spartans). So, you have never given any real reason of your pure

hatred of this film.

7) and finally, TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty, ah the real troll is now

proclaiming others of the disease he has. First of all, i never said I hated

Marvel and have only defended DC from freakin Marvel trolls like you.

Seriously, everyone here who respects all comic books and their history-

"TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty" is an individual who has one idiotic purpose to

see DC films fail and laugh at them when they do because he believes how

mighty Marvel is. He is also one of the main haters for the biggest movie

of the year the Dark Knight. SO, whether or not you like or respect me

realize this... believing in that troll means you support a lunatic who will

be hating and rooting for one of the biggest movies ever to fail. and I hope

no one believes that I am a troll of any kind because i never hate on any

movie of worth and quality. I try my best to love and critique movies and

I rarely ever develop hatred for any of them and herein lies my problem with

the spped racer haters. Its just isn't a movie that deserves to be hated or

mocked nor does it deserve acolades and awards. In the end, i try giving

respect and a chance, which many never did. I saw and liked it, and realize

this film is not worthy of being a mockery.

and if your opinion is different than mine fine but please give the fim

some descent respect, its not Norbit or Gigli, for god's sake, sheesh !!

And please IF I indeed hurt "bijibadness" feelings, I'm sorry.

May 19 - 12:23 AM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

Iron Man will not reach $300 million.
It's audience will be swallowed up whole by INdy.

I predict a final tally of $275 million for Iron Man
Which is pretty amazing and very well deserved.

Indy will be a monster next weekend.
It's 4 day tally should be between $120-$130 million.
On it's way to a massive $325-$350 million.

Better make way. ;)

May 19 - 12:21 AM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

Damn, you people really like ganging up on those who defend

Speed Racer, huh, Well, I have to address several of your "intelligent"

comments. 1)rgallitan, um U think you might need to re-read bijibadness's

comment and offer me an apology because he was being sarcastic with his

sadness over the movie doing so awful. so, no apology needed.

2)AmericanEagleJRL, I am not a drama queen. The comment from bijibadness

was sarcastic, well thought out insult to guys like Speed Racer fans like

me, who enjoyed it and hoped to see do well. He loved quoting all the

reasons fans said it was amazing like, "the style is unlike anything ive

seen on a big screen before, oh well". And here's another clue of his

sarcasim he says, "poor, poor, POOR, speed racer"...yeah that sound sincere?

not to me it didn't and so this guy didn't even have the guts to insult it

straight out and instead decided to mock it sarcastically. offended me!

3)nogard46, I understand your point of the fan's t-meter, but to be fair

plenty of great to good movies have been deemed rotten and are obviously not

crap. You have to admit speed racer is not as bad as its 35% t-meter rating!

I'll be the first to admit it is not a great film but 35%, give me a break.

4)thereign, it really hurts me to see such a respected rt commentor be

reduced to a plain hater for Speed Racer. I mean becoming a hater for any

film should be held for only the worst type of films (see: Made of Honor &

Meet the Spartans). So, you have never given any real reason of your pure

hatred of this film.

7) and finally, TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty, ah the real troll is now

proclaiming others of the disease he has. First of all, i never said I hated

Marvel and have only defended DC from freakin Marvel trolls like you.

Seriously, everyone here who respects all comic books and their history-

"TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty" is an individual who has one idiotic purpose to

see DC films fail and laugh at them when they do because he believes how

mighty Marvel is. He is also one of the main haters for the biggest movie

of the year the Dark Knight. SO, whether or not you like or respect me

realize this... believing in that troll means you support a lunatic who will

be hating and rooting for one of the biggest movies ever to fail. and I hope

no one believes that I am a troll of any kind because i never hate on any

movie of worth and quality. I try my best to love and critique movies and

I rarely ever develop hatred for any of them and herein lies my problem with

the spped racer haters. Its just isn't a movie that deserves to be hated or

mocked nor does it deserve acolades and awards. In the end, i try giving

respect and a chance, which many never did. I saw and liked it, and realize

this film is not worthy of being a mockery.

and if your opinion is different than mine fine but please give the fim

some descent respect, its not Norbit or Gigli, for god's sake, sheesh !!

And please IF I indeed hurt "bijibadness" feelings, I'm sorry.

May 19 - 12:23 AM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

and i'm also sorry about the length of that message. and once

again I'm sorry about the poetry style, but when I type it and submit it

just comes out that way.

May 19 - 12:24 AM

thereign

lance berry

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgle;

I just figured I'd respond to your question as to why I hated Speed Racer. Your opinion obviously differs from mine--so I won't try to change it--but I figured since you do love the film so much, you deserve a reply to your question.

1 - While I do remember the Speed Racer cartoon, and I can APPRECIATE the Wachowskis' attempt to emulate it in style and content, I don't like the way they went about it. I found the amazing overuse of CGI for everything--the racing, the cars, THE SKY, for goodness sake--to be overkill to the Nth degree. It cheapened the human element of the story for me, rather than heightening it. To be honest, I'm absolutely tired of CGI overuse, and the W-brothers took it to extremes unheard of before this.

2 - BECAUSE OF the use of CGI and greenscreen(I honestly only counted about 4 or 5 real sets in the entire film), I believe the actors weren't able to do their best jobs and seemed lost on a green stage. It's the Natalie Portman/Phantom Menace syndrome: NP's worst performance was in Lucas' new SW trilogy, which she's gone on record as saying that she was not fully comfortable working with so much CGI. For someone so young, Portman is a very accomplished actress, yet having nothing to work with in some scenes except her imagination and a vague hope she was looking in the right direction fu.cked up her performance. Same thing here. It's also the same reason Terence Stamp delivered such a wooden performance in PM on the air platform when he meets Portman. His first takes weren't shot opposite her--Lucas held up a damn BROOM in place of NP and had him say his lines to a script coordinator off-camera. Lousy.

3 - The kid and the monkey. Kill them. Kill them NOW. Yes, I get it: Speed Racer's really a kid's movie. But y'know what? Hire a better kid actor than the one who played Spritle. And do I EVER need to see a scene where a monkey throws its feces at someone in a movie? No. No, I do not. If I were emperor, it would be the guillotine for these two.

4 - There are so many, many, many more reasons for me to hate this film, I could honestly write a paper on it. However, none of us has that much time on our hands, and those are my top 3 reasons for hating SR so that's all I'll say for now.

Your mileage may vary.

May 19 - 01:04 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

While I don't agree on every point (I actually laughed at the little sh#t brother and his monkey once or twice), I hold largely the same view of SR as thereign. I thought SR lost sight of the forest for the trees with the massive, penalizing amount of INYOURFACE CG for just about everything to the point of my not possibly caring about any of it.

I feel oddly gratified that my opinion of 'Caspian' seems to be bourne out by the masses; huge opening weekend but with an undercurrent of 'feh, who cares?'

And nothin' but love for Iron Man. I will probably go see it again.

May 19 - 10:04 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I DID go see it again. All in support of Marvel Studios' mission, and in support of an awesome film worthy of repeat viewings (for now Stark is forgiven for Civil War). BUT, I did have one small problem with Iron Man. Some on here might not have seen it yet. It's not really a spoiler per se but I'll not spill it anyway. For those who saw it, it's what Stark did in his last shot before the credits started to roll. I was like "what?!" They jump over a whole lot of material with that one, but I sort of see where they might be going with it. Still, it gave me pause. Certainly not a major gripe. But... still.

May 22 - 12:39 PM

KISSman

Tommy D

This is one of the only times I ever rooted for the failure of a movie.

"Narnia" is a mediocre movie at best with no character development, boring action and less-than-stellar effects/CGI.

No sequel or movie company should be rewarded for making a crummy movie that just happens to cater demographics that just aren't that picky about movie quality.

The amount of money it made the first time was, in part, due to the audience who was hoping for the next "Lord of the Rings". LOTR it was not.

If "Prince Caspian" did well this past weekend, it would patted Disney and Co. on the back for a job well-done on the first film.

Well, luckily, they are left scratching their heads wondering what they heck happened the at least $75 to $80 million they were expecting to make and about the future of their once promising franchise.

Enjoy your fail.

May 19 - 01:49 AM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast