60% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian Reviews

John M

May 16, 2008
A bit slow going at the start but a darker, Narnia with a solid action packed middle and end that my daughter and I enjoyed. Now they have to somehow pull off the next books which in my opinion were not so good.
Eugene B

August 5, 2013
The second installment of C.S. Lewis' famed fantasy novels is a visual advancement from the first of the series. Though it may not obtain the same magic and charm that upheld the the previous film, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian is still an entertaining and enthralling family film to see. 4/5
Anthony L

January 4, 2013
An improvement to the last film but then The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe has been done to death and it's nice to see the next chapter brought to life. It's better than I expected but it still lacks the excitement I experienced when reading the book in my youth. I did like the effects though, the Ice Queen scene in particular.
Matthew Samuel M

July 14, 2012
The movie is great to look at, but it is so far from the quality of the first film that it cannot help but feel like a straight to DVD follow up or a TV special. The film is chalk full of uncomfortable acting and unnecessary deviations from the text, such as a cringeworthy hinted romance between Caspian and Susan. Unlike the first film, Caspian brings no raw emotion to the stage, and is simply lifeless.
thmtsang
thmtsang

May 31, 2007
This is an excellent movie. A year has passed since the four children were in Narnia, but they are transported back to find that the Narnia they left has become extinct. They work with Prince Caspian, the rightful heir to Narnia to save the Narians from the evil Miraz. There are more fascinating creatures and battle scenes. I love the bear. Great story.
3niR
3niR

May 23, 2010
Slow but good as the first one.
Phil H

June 1, 2008
This looks very good, really good, despite my dislike of too much cgi this film does look and feel true. But thats it really, this is basically the same as we've seen before over and over now with other films like 'LOTR', 'Labyrinth', 'Golden Compass', 'Legend' etc...the final battle is almost the same as the third 'LOTR' movie with tree's coming alive, the atmosphere and basic heroic last stand set up, its all just unoriginal now, been done before.

The first film was nice and quite a stand alone film, this is treading the same ground but it all links together nicely with the plot and cast, there's no continuety probs, not quite sure how they get to Narnia in the first place though, kinda odd. The cast is good, cliched and run of the mill but good, although the Spanish accent thing going on with Caspian is really lame haha sounds and looks like a cheesey Zorro character lol. Its actually quite violent as well, lots of people being killed with arrows and swords, even a beheading!.

The ending is waaay too happy and clean, should of left it open for the obvious third and I hated the mouse thing...'shrek' almost popped up I think haha jesus. Its a good film, looks great and you are drawn in but its just very late and unoriginal now, the third will be even worse I'm afraid, about 5yrs ago it would have rocked ass.
Jens S

November 4, 2007
The second adventure of the Pevensie kids in the fantasy world of Narnia starts out rather slow. There is a lot of wandering through woods before things finally start moving. The plot is accordingly simple: arrive in Narnia, gather an army, help Caspian become king. Of course that doesn't exactly create sweaty hands, especially with Barnes not really bringing the charisma to the table to be a convincing hero. Peter Dinklage makes up for that in his scenes as grumpy dwarf. What safes the film from being a failure are the really cool and spectacular battle scenes in the second half of the film. They are not en par with the Lord of the Rings films of course, and try a little too hard to copy aspects of them, but they are still fun and huge. The end is also rather sweet and well done, so you come out of the film with the impression it is better than it actually was. Older kids who can handle the violence should really get a kick out of the talking animals, though.
Emily A

June 14, 2011
Here again are all the elements that made the original a fun ride, and this movie plays just as well as the first one did. I liked the fact that there is a human villain in this one, and the war isn't a clear-cut exercise in good magic against evil magic. While I still don't like the veiled Christian propaganda, the use of child soldiers in the story or the actors who play Susan or Peter, I was really digging the Hamlet-esque story of Caspian and Miraz, as well as the slew of new characters, both animal and human. Ben Barnes fit in terrifically as the new hero, and I found it quite refreshing how this series of stories have older protagonists that take a back seat occasionally and make room for new ones. I kinda wished they had established why exactly it is that Caspian would make a better monarch than Miraz, or why the Narnians should follow him, but one can't have everything. The action sequences in Caspian were really well-executed, and I really liked how the massive seiges and battles that the young protagonists in this movie have to face are presented as real challenges to them. Even in Narnia where war can be magical, it's still an ordeal. War is Heck?
MissMorganLeee
MissMorganLeee

May 27, 2008
Not nearly as good as the first, But it wasnt as bad as I had expected it to be.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 4, 2011
Just as good as the first, maybe better. The action is well made, the story is incredible, the acting is great once again, and they put some humor into it for once. Kids might be confused a lot, but this is a small problem seeing as the movie is aimed at adults. Great movie.
KJ P

January 14, 2010
It loses a bit of what the original brought to the table that was so moving, a story that is just as magical as the world they are in. Sure, the same loveable characters are back in this fun adventure while meeting an assortment of new characters, but the fact that they are transported there randomly just when they are needed seems a bit drastic to believe. "Prince Caspian" has a lot of heart, cool action sequences, and great visuals. The one thing that I just am not sure about, is the fact that the story once they are in Narnia, seems too similar to the first film. This second instalment will not win any new fans, but will definitely have the fans of the first cheering!!!
EightThirty .

February 18, 2011
17/02/2011 (DVD)

I am having fun comparing this to the older versions, watching the older versions and then seeing this more up-to-date adaptation is quite amusing. What a read this must of been cause just watching this is quite a trip, adventurous and entertaining.

I will say that although this was an awesome sequel, I still am very fond of the first part. 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe' is still a better story but otherwise this is still a hit. The actions is... you just gotta see it, it's awesome! I wonder what the next episode has in store for me cause I'm in the mood for more of that Narnianian fictitious chocolate!

I wonder if they'll make the whole series? Anyway it's been quite a journey since endeavoring on this fantastic voyage but there is still one more trip for me to take to complete my Narnia expedition and that is to go aboard the 'Dawn Treader' in the latest episode so far. Bon-voyage!!
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

January 5, 2011
I loved the first Narnia movie! I saw it three times in the theater and watched it many times on DVD. I was beyond being super-hyped when the trailer "Prince Caspian" arrived in front of my screening of "National Treasure 2". I went to see it the day after opening. I should've never gone in with high expectations because the movie wasn't all that great.

The first frames of the film show a woman going though intense childbirth. Due to its intensity, I was thinking the film was going to be intense and action-packed. I thought the baby being born was Prince Caspian. A few minutes later, we are proven wrong. The teenaged Prince Caspian is then shown running away from his castle and being chased by Telmarine soldiers. He passes out and finds himself in Narnia, a land with inhabitants believed to be extinct. The Pevensie children then drop in. Its been centuries in Narnian time but only a few years to the Pevensies. We then discover Narnia is in war with the neighboring kingdom of Telmar. The Pevensies then join forces with Prince Caspian to restore peace in Narnia.

Okay, the plot is great but the way the film progresses is such a pain! There is a lot of action but there is a good amount of just slow dialogue scenes. The run-time of 2 1/2 hours feels like 3 1/2 hours due to the slowness. This is the main thing that threw off the film for me. I have a thing for movies that are just story development and lack excitement. This is just like "Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix" only slightly more entertaining.

The acting is great. Ben Barnes is really tight as Prince Caspian. The Pevensie children's performers are great as well. Eddie Izzard is funny and enjoyable as Reepicheep.

The effects are astounding like the original. The action is much better than the first. I adore the fact that there are two back-to-back action sequences. Very intense and awesome. Speaking of the action, the deaths were not that original. A lot of them were just an arrow to the chest. LAAAAAAAMEE!!!!
The Telmarine soldiers looked like the Immortals from "300". Did the film's costume designer even hear about originality?

"Prince Caspian" is not as good as the first but is still a good watch.

"I was going for something a little more original."
Dean !

May 13, 2008
A very good follow up. most including I prefer the first one just a tiny bit more than this one. It starts a little slow but eventually gears up half way through, introducing some new characters along the way. The effects are still very impressive and the battle scenes are probably bigger and longer than the first films. Overall a solid effort nearly all who liked the first one will enjoy.
michael e.
michael e.

December 22, 2010
its nowhere near as good of a film as the first re-imagining but it still has its redeemable factors the main one being IT HAS GOD FREAKING DANG IT REEPICHEEP
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 1, 2010
A strong second addition to the series. I remember being extremely surprised and pleased after leaving the theater, so pleased that I went a second time.
My personal favorite of the series, so far. Stronger performances, more emotion, and more conflict. Great battles scenes, too. Add in the brilliant musical score and you have a highly enjoyable film!
Cassandra M

May 12, 2008
My trip to new York couldn't have been better timed and I relished the opportunity to steal the march on my friends and get an early viewing on Prince Caspian. The first film is my absolute favourite film of all time and I was a huge fan of any scenes with Tilda Swinton/Skandar Keynes.

While Prince Caspian hasn't grabbed that top spot for me just yet and I doubt it will definitely be near the top of my list. Yes I wish they had focused more on character development,and yes I could have done with a tighter shorter end battle and a fleshed out bonding scene between Peter and Edmund but its still a roller-coaster of a ride that grabs you from the start and doesn't let go till that ill judged final song kicks in.

Ben Barnes disappointed me I must say, he was rather blank in the face if you know what I mean. He had one expression and we saw it over and over and the quality of his acting wasn't as good as I was led to believe but it didn't spoil the film for me. The heart and soul of the Narnia films for me will always be the Pevensies. In particular Skandar Keynes as Edmund did an amazing job given the fact he was not centre stage in the movie.I found myself drawn to him on screen more and more. He really was the hero of the film as far as I was concerned and the best actor on screen. I'm so pleased he's continued to develop into a brilliant actor.

The film is a little dark for young children and one child in my cinema had to be led out as she got upset. Whoever got Disney that PG rating is a good salesman! I've lost my heart to the Narnia franchise so maybe I'm easy to please but one thing's for sure I'll be waiting impatiently for 2010 and the wonderful Dawn Treader story.

A plea to the new director-please give plenty of screen time to Edmund next time. He really shone in the limited time he had in Prince Caspian and could do wonders in Dawn Treader. Now I have to wait patiently again to see Prince Caspian in England
Aaron N

May 22, 2007
Prince Caspian: You're Narnians. You're supposed to be extinct.
Nikabrik: Sorry to disappoint you.

After a disappointing first entry, Disney attempts another go at the Narnia series, and fortunately this second film is much better. There are still some problems, but overall this film succeeds.

A year has passed in the real world for the Pevensie brothers and sisters first visited Narnia, but upon their return, after being summoned, they find that time in that world has advanced over 1000 years.

Now Narnia has been overtaken by another group of people, who have their own ruling problems. A prince was forced to escape his own kingdom due to relatives power grabs, resulting in his alliance with Narnians and their summoning of the Pevensies.

Once Peter, Edmond, Susan, and Lucy return, they team up with Prince Caspian and the other Narnians hoping to deal with the possible evil and maybe even find Aslan to help them out even more.

This film attempts to go darker than the last, which is for the most part true to the book, but the reason this still doesn't become a great movie is due to what has to be put into a film like this.

As a book, talking animals mixed with medieval action can be handled very well if written well. This movie has a problem in trying to contain both epic action and family oriented entertainment. It pushes the boundaries of its PG rating, but it still feels very kiddy in parts.

However, this movie does succeed in a number of places where the last movie definitely was lacking. Namely, the visual effects. This time around, the creatures and humans are all very well crafted to exist together in very good looking environments provided by New Zealand and sound stages.

It also helps that all the human actors do a good job. The four Pevensie children are all good enough. Peter expands a little bit beyond straight up good guy leader and Lucy still manages to be cute and innocent. Ben Barnes is also pretty good as Caspian, although the injected feelings between him and Susan was unnecessary. Peter Dinklage steps in as Trumpkin, a dwarf, making for the best character of the bunch.

As far as talking animals go, although there are some goofy moments, my favorite character from the books, Reepicheep, a swashbuckling mouse fits right into this film and is given a voice by Eddie Izzard to cheer things up a bit (although it is odd to see a mouse make jokes as well as presumably kill people).

Overall, this is a better installment of the Narnia series than the last, but it still needs to find a way to capture a balance between its fantasy epic and family fantasy aspects.

Lucy: Oh my God, he's so cute.
[draws his sword]
Reepicheep: Who said that!
Stuart B

August 12, 2010
Tried to watch it, twice. Fell asleep, twice. Not a good sign