Weekly Ketchup: Narnia To Continue With The Magican's Nephew

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes casting rumors and news for The Dark Knight Rises and Superman: Man of Steel, news about the fourth entry in the Chronicles of Narnia series, The Amazing Spider-Man already getting a sequel and new movies for Nicolas Cage, Benicio del Toro, Salma Hayek, Kenan Thompson and John Travolta. Back to Article

Comments

jomo999

Joe Morris

That's odd, I never knew The Magician's Nephew was written AFTER The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, I read the Narnia books in chronological order when I was younger and it seemed to flow perfectly from that book to to the second.
And don't even get me started on Spider-Man. I was cautiously optimistic about the film but that they're already making a sequel a year before the first film is released is troubling. Even if the movie is good (and there's a good chance it wont be) the rushed sequels are destined to turn out like Pirates/Matrix all over again...

Mar 26 - 12:34 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Narnia #4 this week is sort of like Hunger Games last week... neither might be popular with the larger movie fan community, but they have their own sizeable audiences. In both cases, there weren't a lot of big news items to take their places. This week, there were a lot of "casting possibility" type stories, and/or stories speculating about character identities. So, Narnia #4 gets the top placement rather than say... the Stephanie-Brown-MIGHT-be-in-it story. Probably if it wasn't Narnia, the top story would have been Spidey 2/5. The edge went to Narnia because Spidey 2/5 was probably more of a presumed inevitability whereas the future of Narnia was more questionable. Also, I know a lot of Narnia fans consider that book to be one of the best, and they are excited about it being a movie. But yes, if Narnia #4 wasn't given Top story status, it probably would have been in the Rotten Idea category.

Mar 26 - 12:47 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

They should just sell the story rights of Dune to Starz, HBO or AMC and let them do one of their great series with them and that'd be it.
I am hopeful for Nolan's third Batman installment BUT this parade of characters makes me fearful that there will be no development of them, they'll get little onscreen time and then be put away. I trust the main storyline will be awesome, but there's no need for more characters when you already have Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Gordon, Catwoman, Bane and whatever character Gordon Levitt is playing.

Mar 26 - 01:02 PM

The Reaper

Iron Will

I find Dune very boring. The '84 film was bad, IMO. Some good ideas and images but they are fightin' over spice? Whoop-dee-doo. I couldn't get past page 100 of the first novel but I would like to check out the mini-series b/c at least the run time is long enough to get more story out, budget limitations aside.

I dunno. Not upset about Dune being shelved.

Mar 26 - 01:07 PM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

My name is a word of power?

I do like Dune as a whole, but the internal monologuing and the West Side Story style knife fights were a but much for me. Given less exposition and less...well, slow-burning confusion, I think a new Dune could be a good idea.

Mar 26 - 09:28 PM

Coach McGuirk

Desmond Hume

Exactly, Confounded. This guy gets it.

Mar 26 - 02:06 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

Noah, if you're not averse to SciFi Channel produced movies (Dinocroc vs. Supergator did have a sluggish 3rd act), then i would recommend trying to get hold of their 3 part miniseries "Frank Herbert's Dune" from 2000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert%27s_Dune) which is not only a great adaptation of the first novel, but the other 2 novels in the trilogy were also made into 2003's "Frank Herbert's Children of Dune", starring James McAvoy as Leto, son of Muad'Dib.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert%27s_Children_of_Dune)......Both are very well made films and give you a very good idea of what the novels are about.......and you know what.....after you're done watching these and winning whatever musical competition you're preparing for.....Go ahead and watch the 1984 film by David Lynch....it's still very enjoyable.

Mar 26 - 02:10 PM

THEREWOLF

Markus Arbutina

Maybe we will get to see Batgirl and Robin.

Mar 26 - 02:51 PM

THEREWOLF

Markus Arbutina

Wasn't there already a dune movie?

Mar 26 - 02:52 PM

Indiana Jones 79

Gavin Miller

cool, can't wait for the Dark Knight rises! and Narnia 4, superman man of steel, and spider man!

Mar 26 - 02:52 PM

Matt W

Matt Workman

I LOVE the Dune book and Im really sad to hear theyre stopping production on the movie. I havent seen the old movie but I heard it sucked. This remake has great potential to be awesome. They should make it!

Mar 26 - 03:29 PM

Matt W

Matt Workman

Mar 26 - 03:30 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

"The Dark Knight Rises"? Really? That's the best name they could come up with for Nolan's third borefest?

Mar 26 - 03:34 PM

THEREWOLF

Markus Arbutina

Hopefully you are being sarcastic. I kinda of like the title, they are playing off of the whole Dark Knight concept. Batman's return to glory.

Mar 26 - 05:07 PM

Enoch C.

Enoch Ching

elitist alert

Mar 27 - 11:35 AM

anDy

Andreas Babs

Also if you are going to REMAKE... sorry. If you are going to REMAKE shit I did it again.
Oh, wait, I know why I keep emphasizing that word. Because REMAKING is REMAKING. Akira is where it takes place for a reason. Akira's characters are who they are for a reason. No not because it's Anime. It's a statement. One of the things that make Akira so spectacular is its cultural relevance. Another example: The majority of Dragonball's story is from Asian mythology. The live action got Americanized. Look how fucked up that was. This Akira movie is going to be absolutely terrible. It's going to look like Speed Racer mixed with Tron with Michael Bay influenced editing. It's going to be noisy, messy and overly convoluted.
The only movie that was Americanized that I truly feel is just as great, if not better, is The Departed. But see, its story did not have to take place where it did. It could be changed. Magnificent Seven isn't my favorite remake, but it works, and it somehow managed to keep the ideas behind the story but somehow changing its genre completely. Akira is meant to be how it is. It's like if they made a Japanese version of Born On The Fourth Of July or something. Point is, if they remake Akira, they should keep everything that is crucial. They should have just left Akira alone but it seems that it will probably be made, so we can only just wait for the predictable mess that will happen. It could end up being good, but I highly doubt it.

Mar 26 - 04:20 PM

anDy

Andreas Babs

Also nothing against Tron, because visually both are incredible, but I'm predicting that it will be the only good thing about this remake.

Mar 26 - 04:22 PM

anDy

Andreas Babs

Mar 26 - 04:22 PM

Lord M.

Marty Martinez

they should just leave akira alone!

Mar 26 - 04:26 PM

eastern2western

peter liu

without john woo, the nic cage/john travolta reunion means mierda

Mar 26 - 04:34 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Agree with riz, Syfy is definately the way to go and it covers most of what's worthwhile from the original series. Personally couldn't stand God Emporer of Dune it almost turned me off to the series entirely. Fortunately I gave Chapterhouse a c chance and it was very good. Would like to see that made into its own movie. Unfortunately you'd probably have to make God Emporer for it to make sense which would kill any interest.

Mar 26 - 04:57 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

He thinks Kenan Thompson is hilarious, he's obviously retarded. Cut him some slack.

Mar 26 - 04:59 PM

SaveGamehenge

fluff head

ahahahaha

Mar 27 - 04:44 PM

THEREWOLF

Markus Arbutina

Mar 26 - 05:07 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

To be fair, do Asian film makers be they in Japan or Hong Kong or anywhere else cast caucasians when they redo Shakespeare? Or cast non-asians in anything for that matter? I can't ever remember seeing it outside of a couple very racist depictions. It's no secret that the movie industry makes movies to appeal to their audiences and that their audiences can relate to hence why most asian movies star asians, most Aussie movies star aussies and most of the time in american movies when they use Brits or Aussies they learn an American accent. Only about 10% of americans are of asian descent it's hard to make a movie profitable aiming at that small a demographic, but in fairness they've tried on a couple occasions.

Mar 26 - 05:17 PM

Shantak

David Finnila

While I agree with you, but I look at it like this. Some remakes kinda work, others do not because they are so immersed in the culture they are a part of, to change the location or nationality changes the entire story.

Akira, Keneda, Tetsuo are very Japanese names. The manga is very steeped in Japanese culture and is influenced by Hiroshima and the rebuilding of those cities after the decimation.

Now if they were making Neo-New York a story set in the future about Alan who became a super powered psychic dude and blew up New York and the government decided to try again with new subjects and captured a biker gang memebr named Tony and his friend Ken tries to save him, I would care less about them "americanizing" it. I would still think it was going to be crap, but keeping the names and the title and not having it be with asian actors and set in Japan is just plain stupid.

Hell even the Wolverine sequel gets to go to Japan and that was one crappy movie.

Mar 27 - 01:09 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Agreed, that's fair.

Mar 27 - 02:05 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus