Weekly Ketchup: Narnia To Continue With The Magican's Nephew

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes casting rumors and news for The Dark Knight Rises and Superman: Man of Steel, news about the fourth entry in the Chronicles of Narnia series, The Amazing Spider-Man already getting a sequel and new movies for Nicolas Cage, Benicio del Toro, Salma Hayek, Kenan Thompson and John Travolta. Back to Article

Comments

susan n.

susan nordvall

I was waiting for someone to say that and you put it well, better than I would have. Thanks for pointing out, Mora

Mar 26 - 10:55 PM

byron s.

byron smith

I didn't really enjoy SyFy's Dune remake, Lynch's version seemed to capture the odd reality that the book portrayed, but then again, it's David Lynch. The Spiderman "reboot" kinda irritates me, I liked T.M's portrayl of Spidey, which is saying alot since it was my least fav comic next to fantastic 4. I hope Narnia does all of the books, being a student of religion, literature, and particularly the Inklings, it's nice to see a dramatisation of Lewis' work that has more than the BBC's backing and budget. and finally we come to akira....a live-action of an anime based on a manga, all of which I could do without. As a kid of the '80's, Akira was my first introduction to anime, i found it boring and confusing, and on a recent re-viewing I find that my reaction is the same...easily counter-acted by the original Vampire Hunter D.

Mar 26 - 11:59 PM

byron s.

byron smith

Mar 26 - 11:59 PM

byron s.

byron smith

Noah, why don't you take the time you are spending online and use it to read Dune? Good-luck on piano comp.

Mar 27 - 12:02 AM

Shantak

David Finnila

I look at the Lynch's Dune as I do Kubrick's Shining. Has something to do with the source material, but is so different and more a visual treat that it is still highly enjoyable.

Mar 27 - 12:49 AM

Shantak

David Finnila

I don't mind remakes, but I hate pointless remakes of great movies.

Let the right one in, the girl with a dragon tattoo and others where the original is brilliantly done and a remake just seems to be nothing but a cash grab.

Akira I would love to see a live action version. I think it could be awesome if they followed to manga closer. But the fact it's set in New York and will star white folks, while keeping the names the same disgusts me to the core.

Mar 27 - 12:53 AM

Shantak

David Finnila

While I agree with you, but I look at it like this. Some remakes kinda work, others do not because they are so immersed in the culture they are a part of, to change the location or nationality changes the entire story.

Akira, Keneda, Tetsuo are very Japanese names. The manga is very steeped in Japanese culture and is influenced by Hiroshima and the rebuilding of those cities after the decimation.

Now if they were making Neo-New York a story set in the future about Alan who became a super powered psychic dude and blew up New York and the government decided to try again with new subjects and captured a biker gang memebr named Tony and his friend Ken tries to save him, I would care less about them "americanizing" it. I would still think it was going to be crap, but keeping the names and the title and not having it be with asian actors and set in Japan is just plain stupid.

Hell even the Wolverine sequel gets to go to Japan and that was one crappy movie.

Mar 27 - 01:09 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Agreed, that's fair.

Mar 27 - 02:05 PM

BMS1234

brandon sideleau

After seeing Andrew Garfield in the Social Network I think he is a serious enough actor that he can pull off Spiderman. Akira is such an epic film I simply cannot see a live-action rendition coming even close to it's impact...I mean, first off, the film is ultra-violent/gritty and that is part of it's bizarre, cyberpunk appeal...an American live-action version would probably end up PG-13. Secondly, how are they going to pull off the climactic battle without using horrifically cheesy CGI?

Mar 27 - 01:22 AM

Ken W.

Ken Wolfson

poor Akira, going the way of The Last Airbender. Also, there's plenty of incredible scifi novels out there that are rather good, why doesn't anyone adapt those instead of these original concept films?

Mar 27 - 05:16 AM

Aashu Nomore a LiLo Lover

aashu singh

You should care about Akira if you consider yourself a film lover.

Mar 27 - 05:35 AM

Enoch C.

Enoch Ching

unsurprisingly, the best books of the Chronicles of Narnia are the ones that don't feature four alternating idiots. Hopefully Fox doesn't drop the ball on Magician's nephew

Mar 27 - 11:34 AM

Enoch C.

Enoch Ching

elitist alert

Mar 27 - 11:35 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

It really is ridiculous that Cage puts out around three movies a year, and at least two, if all of them, usually suck. We are three months into this year, and he has already delivered Season of the Witch and Drive Angry, and there are three more scheduled to come out this year right now.

Mar 27 - 12:22 PM

Eztizen S.

Eztizen Sanchez

Even if she had time to read, why the F should she read Akira? I haven't read it, I don't plan to do it and I don't care about Akira, and certainly I don't care if it's a best-seller or not. And that doesn't mean I don't read, because I DO read.

Mar 27 - 01:21 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

At least you read the covers :)

Mar 27 - 02:01 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships