The Chronicles of Riddick - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Chronicles of Riddick Reviews

September 3, 2006
151126: This film is all over the board. Assuming it has a lot more detail, the book is likely a much better bet. It's a bit unfortunate because the first film, Pitch Black (2000), is a decently entertaining horror sci-fi. Pitch Black was simple to follow and had enough action to keep your eyes on the screen. This film is much more complicated, if not convoluted, in its story line. Found I enjoyed it more as it progressed. Will see what Riddick (2013) brings.
December 30, 2015
in my opinion it's on of the best action movies of the 2000! Everything from the plot to the actors is great and capturing, you can relate to the characters ( what is really rare those days, unlike the last STAR WARS 7 which is officially the worst movie i've ever seen). In conclusion, the movie is great!
November 8, 2015
Could have watched the film on mute while watering my plants. Wouldn't have missed anything important of the plot or dialogue.
August 9, 2015
one of the worse films i have seen
July 27, 2015
I've rarely been disappointed in a sequel because I rarely expect much but damn if I did not get my hopes up then crushed quickly by this trash.
½ June 25, 2015
As expected, not as arty as Pitch Black, more of a action packed film where the main character always survives even in the most ridiculous circumstances. A rich sci-fi world of different races, it feels like their role and/or origins aren't explained enough, leaves you wanting more. An enjoyable watch. Just bring popcorn.
June 3, 2015
Hate me on this, but I freaking enjoyed it. Everybody says it is the weakest in the series. But heck, I loved it. It is dumb for sure, but it is a visual treat. I enjoyed the setting, the visual effects are not the greatest visuals you can get nor a top notch for it's time but the idea is great. The mind blowing sceneries, I do have fun. I'm a gamer maybe I can relate some things going around. It feels like that setting from Unreal Tournament or Half Life for instance. Riddick is still Riddick. He is one bad ass character with bad ass capabilities. His one tough son of a b*tch. And portrayed by a well physique Vin Diesel. What can you ask more? Though the acting is very noticeable with some never heard actors. I thought Twohy is definitely doing a great job with it. This is a much better sequel IMO. I don't really mind the story, I thought this is a fun action Sci-Fi film that I really enjoyed, in a guilty pleasure way. 4/5
½ May 29, 2015
Chronicles of Riddick has a few good moments and an earnest attempt at making a mythology, but through it all, It's evident that this sequel to the sleeper hit Pitch Black just wants to be the next Sci-fi franchise like Star Wars and Star trek
½ April 11, 2015
Wasn't sure I'd enjoy this one but thanks to a good supporting cast, it was worth it. Thandie Newton, Judi Dench and Karl Urban adds to a nice storyline with Vin Diesel. Wasn't as expected as the sequel to Pitch Black but action sequences made it watchable to the end.
March 7, 2015
Wow, where to start with this one. OK, first of all, if something that I am complaining about was explained in some other source material, a comic, a cartoon, a long lost radio show? I don't care. For me this was a live action movie and it needed to be able to have some ability to stand on its own, at least within the realm of its predecessor, "Pitch Black". Now, down to business.

This movie is about Riddick. He's a bad, bad man. As shown in "Pitch Black", Riddick is an escaped convict who can see in the dark and, because of years spent fighting for his very survival in the worst hell-hole prisons, is the most capable killer the universe has ever known. In "Pitch Black" he saves two people out of a whole ship load from horrible monsters that come out of the darkness to devour them. It was simple, to the point, and though not brilliant, was a decent piece of entertainment.

Here, Riddick is more of a hyper-real version of the character we used to know. He is now the "child of prophesy" who will destroy the "Necromongers". Necromongers are world destroyers who worship death and want to reach the "Underverse". They even sacrifice their mortal lives to convert to the Necromonger religion. What is the Underverse? How can the already-dead warriors be killed by Riddick if they are already dead? Who cares?! Time for an action scene! *punch* *kick* *thud*

The Necromongers are led by the Lord Marshal, played by Colm Feore, who was chilling as the demonic "Linoge" in Stephen King's "Storm of the Century". Here his job seems to be to smirk, walk around in uncomfortable looking plastic armor, and collect a check. But, I digress. Playing the Lord Marshal's second-in-command is the wonderful actor, Karl Urban. Wonderful elsewhere actually, as here he seems so unsure of who his character is, how he feels, or what his motivation is that he acts more like a schizophrenic off his meds than a solid person. That is not entirely his fault because the script has him bouncing around like a wad of flubber.

Trying to convince Riddick to follow his destiny is an "Elemental", played by Dame Judi Dench. Why, Dame Dench? Oh, why did you lower yourself to be in this schlock? *sigh* Some questions are better left unanswered. As far as I can tell, Elementals are non-corporeal humans who are beyond our realm of physical reality and hold great power, but for some reason need a silver-eyed convicted murderer to take care of the Lord Marshal because for some reason they can't get directly involved. They can also be held by physical chains even though they don't have to hold physical form. Why? How? Huh? Who cares?! *kick**thud*

Since the story doesn't make any sense, let us lose ourselves in the action sequences. But here we are groaning and smacking our hands to our heads in frustration as well. Is it a law that when bad guys have a clear advantage and advanced weaponry that they have to do hand to hand combat with sticks and knives? At one point Riddick is trapped in a pit on the enemy ship. The guards in the balconies are ordered to kill and him, and rather than, I don't know, pull out a gun and shoot him, they dive into the pit and get slaughtered like sheep. And why did Riddick walk willingly into that pit to begin with? He had time to make good his escape. Think, movie, think!

In another scene someone FINALLY thinks to shoot Riddick and while he's on his knees helpless, a spirit/memory/whatever the heck she is, shows up and touches his chest which, for some reason, causes him to be able to emit a giant weaponized pulse from his body that flattens the enemy soldiers. How can he do this? Why doesn't he do it later in the movie when the Lord Marshal is kicking the tar out of him? Nothing? Here's a hint, movie; we need there to be a REASON for ACTIONS to HAPPEN. Otherwise you are just letting the "Plot Convenience Fairy" run amok on your screenplay.

Then there is his sidekick, Kyra. I won't even go in to her personal history because at this point I don't care anymore, but suffice it to say that the movie sets her up as pretty much a female version of Riddick. Why is it then that this incredibly dangerous and capable young woman succumbs to "Disney Damsel" syndrome in which a previously established strong female character becomes a simpering wimp at the whim of the screenplay just so the male lead can save her? When fleeing from prison she ends up last in the line of escapees at just the wrong moment even though she was A: right behind Riddick the whole time and B: she is obviously in way better shape than any of the other convicts. This of course is so Riddick will have to save her so he can show his "good guy side". Never mind the fact that he comes away from direct contact with a type of solar heat that has already set fire to a man and he doesn't even get a sunburn. Oh, that's right. He dumped a half a canteen of warm water on his head before he got in the sun, so it's OK.

There is one, and only one, half believable shot in the movie. That is the scene where Riddick is hanging by a rope deep within the prison planet and he uses his agility and strength to cleverly break his manacles. It was far-fetched, but more in working with the character than almost any other scene in the movie.

This movie was terrible. It did not make sense even in its own universe. The stretches of logic and the outrageous plot conveniences we are asked to accept would have made the writers of any given James Bond movie blush. I didn't even get into the pillaging of other sci-fi canon or the idiotic terminology like the fire planet being named "Crematoria". That's like the hard to obtain metal in "Avatar" being named "Unobtanium". This movie wasn't even bad enough to be funny, it was just a dull and nonsensical bore, and it insulted me just to watch it. Do yourself a favor; watch the far superior "Pitch Black" and forget this movie was ever made.
February 25, 2015
½ November 26, 2010
Guilty pleasure #26: The Chronicles of Riddick. Here we have Dominic Toretto in space, sweating profusely all over some incredible set pieces. Expect to smirk at cheesy dialogue, but if you can appreciate the artistic vision and vast imagination at work you'll probably enjoy it. If you're jaded and cynical, don't bother. I loved it personally, but I'll never say it out loud in front of any woman. Remember, he lives his life a quarter mile at a time- even in space.
½ December 19, 2014
A huge letdown when it comes to comparing its predecessor, "The Chronicles of Riddick" is both confusing and ridiculous due to a weak script, unnecessary characters, and a plot that doesn't where it's trying to go or what it's trying to say. Vin Diesel again breathes life onto the screen with his character, but it's useless when the film is too dull and uninspiring to care. Honestly, what was David Twohy thinking when he was making this film?
December 8, 2014
most of the people disappointed about this movie, but it's ok for me. The best thing about this movie is the ending scene.
½ November 23, 2014
Bigger and louder and more expensive and exciting than Pitch Black, but still The Chronicles of Riddick is forgettable, too long, and makes no sense.
½ June 21, 2007
The CGI is a bit dated now, but it's a fantastic ride with one of sci-fi's best antiheroes. Newton, Urban, and Dench are icing on the cake. It's a shame it went PG-13, however it wouldn't have gotten a $100 mil budget if it was R.

"vehement comic-book energy, and eye-popping production design"

? Jim Lane, Sacramento News & Review
May 5, 2012
I was disappointed, because I love Vin Diesel
½ September 29, 2014
A fairly cliched and underwhelming science fiction film. The characters are cliched to the extreme, and add nothing exciting or interesting to the film. The acting is sub-par, and the direction seems odd. The movie jumps around quite a bit, with scenes that often feel disconnected and pointless. The CGI is also quite dated, although this is hardly a criticism. At the time of release, this movie actually looked quite good. On a positive note, some of the science fiction aspects of the film are interesting with some of the props and costumes being quite interesting and good looking.

All in all, a fairly cliched science fiction flick that some may enjoy slightly. I thought it was passable as a film, but nothing more. A very forgettable flick.
½ September 13, 2014
As I'm going in reverse order...this is better than the "Riddick", the 3rd verdion of the series..yet to watch the 1st part "Pitch Black"...
½ August 25, 2014
Riddick är cool, men handlingen är flummig och skådespeleriet på många håll irriterande högtravande. Ettans geniala enkelhet är som bortblåst, förutom på slutet när en snygg och lång speglingssekvens uppstår. Faktum är att The Chronicles of Riddick i kontrast till föregående film påminner en smula om hur totalkalkonen Halloween 6 försökte förvrida det enkla men effektiva konceptet i föregående Halloween-rullar. Jaja. Hoppas att Riddick-trean kan återuppväcka franchiset på samma sätt som Halloween H20 (film nummer 7) gjorde med Halloween-serien. Den som överlever får se.