Chutney Popcorn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chutney Popcorn Reviews

iLeo
July 29, 2008
Fantastic movie by Nisha Ganatra!! Great story plot. Filled with a bit of hilarity, but intriguing story about Reena and her sister. Great cast! Phenomenal music!! Worth watching.
October 19, 2009
I've seen this movie quite a few times. In fact, I own it. Smart, well-written, dark humor, great performances, and an in your face treatment of social dogma that keeps me coming back.
July 20, 2008
I have a thing for Indian themed movies for some reason. Pretty good acting and directing. Good chemistry.
½ December 5, 2007
There's some lumpy writing and uneasy acting, but it's easy to see why this charming, inventive film won prizes at festivals in Berlin, San Francisco and Newport, R.I.
June 25, 2007
Cute lesbo flick that's funny and light:)... I love the tie- in of indian culture. It's good, but not what I'd call a great piece of cinema. Still worth a look:)
½ April 11, 2007
Kind of slow paced. Good if you like cultural Indie movies. I liked it. Made me want to go and have henna done.
February 15, 2007
WHEN I FIRST SAW THIS MOVIE I LOVED IT AND I STILL DO...THE HENNA DESIGNS ARE GREAT AND I LOVE THE SOUNDTRACK.
½ January 12, 2007
Good film for those who are thinking about having children. Story falls flat, but the eye candy of Jill Hennessy is worth a watch.
½ June 13, 2006
It was alright. A little boring at points I suppose but it all came together eventually. Plus you hardly get any decent American Indian movies to begin with so I'd consider this pretty revolutionary.
½ January 30, 2004
This is a well written, funny and witty independent film. It has a great cast with a fabulous performance by sexy & sassy Jill Hennessy.

Chutney Popcorn deals with a lesbian relationship, a baby named Chutney and an unusual extended ethnic family that can survive anything including confusion, craziness, acceptance & love.

Great jokes and gay humor! Sweet & romantic lesbian love scene (with lots of skin) between Nisha Ganatra and Jill Hennessy.

My favorite funny scene involves Nisha, Jill, a plastic shower cap, yellow rubber gloves and a fuzzy turkey baster. You must see this film!
½ February 12, 2012
there were some funny moments few and far between but mostly it felt very raw around the edges, like a not-so-great student project. and the premise, kinda twisted, no?
October 19, 2009
August 3, 2009
Definitely was cute, just...didn't turn out the way I'd wanted it to I guess? Lol Idk. Cute girls in it though too!
½ July 12, 2009
I liked it a lot, very good performance of everyone, specially Jill Hennessy that is so beautiful, geat plot!
½ June 29, 2009
Can't deny it's full of culture and beautiful people. Everyone is beautiful in this! But the acting is unrealistic and so's the story. Very indie feel, which I like. Still, it kind of leaves you wondering what's wrong with the writer.
March 30, 2009
funny but also covers issues really well
½ February 26, 2009
This is a cute "lesbian chic" movie with an Indian twist where the lesbian sister of an infertile Indian-American decides to carry her sister's baby.
½ August 23, 2008
Such a complex movie. My emotions went all over the place. I loved it though.
iLeo