• PG-13, 2 hr. 11 min.

June 9, 2013
Beautifully done movie...
Red L

April 25, 2007
Cider House is worth watching more than once. About orphans, ether overdoses, first love, abortions and duty.
Apeneck F

July 21, 2007
Engaging story of the complicated relationshop between a father and a son and the orphanage they run. While the very word "orphanage" conjures visions of such mawkish emotionalism that one is prepared to ignor the film outright, the screenplay (an adaptation of his novel) by Irving and a sure hand by director (Hallestrom) make this visit to Maine a very worthy expedition.
jamers2011
jamers2011

March 11, 2011
Great film! There's not really much to say about this movie other than the fact that it is extremely solid! Everything about it is good and it's hard to find many flaws at all in this film, which is hard. The story, cast, emotion, score, acting...it was all right on, especially the script and performance by Michael Caine; both of which won Oscars.

Overall, this is a touching film that I recommend to everyone. Nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director, this is one of the best films of the great film year, 1999.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 11, 2011
A amazing tale. Micheal Caine steals the show, as we have seen from his Oscar win. The plot was amazing, but had some slow parts. The movie itself, is not one of my favorites, but is a very great one though.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 8, 2009
I enjoyed this John Irving adaptation more than I expected to. It's a flawed film but one with substance and heart. Irving is famous for populating his landscapes with unusual, multi-dimensional characters and The Cider House Rules is no exception. An interesting mixture of tragedy and triumph.
BEACHBUNNI
BEACHBUNNI

March 27, 2008
i loved this movie! a strong cast and a great script in my opinion
cosmo313
cosmo313

August 6, 2009
This film features some really good acting, and it has a good story...most of the time. It's a bit flat in places, but still worth a look.
thmtsang
thmtsang

April 24, 2009
Homer (Tobey) grows up in an orphanage and is groomed by the doctor (Michael) to be his successor. But Homer has other plans. He wants to see the world and find his own way. He meets a young couple and travels with them to their hometown where he works in an apple orchard. He quickly falls for Candy (Charilize). This is like a nice American version of a Charles Dickens' novel. The hero always finds his way. Good cast and a story that will pull your heart strings.
Jennifer X

June 7, 2007
This movie feels so much longer than it is. I think Lasse Hallstrom wanted to make a sprawling epic but it's so uneven I'm not sure what it's telling me and I don't really care, either. Something about abortion, I think. The ideas are half-baked and in the beginning I had a serious, serious crush on Tobey Maguire but I started to get sick of him after seeing him do the same thing for the thousandth time. The orphanage scenes were the most endearing out of all but it kind of went downhill from there. Too many issues, too much useless crap.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 29, 2008
Fantastic,Exellent,
Faboulous,Romantic Drama,A MUST SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

November 29, 2007
i liked thi film very much its heartwarming and interesting to see live in that way
micheal caine is a doctor who does abortions for people and looks after orphans and re adopts them
hoer is a boy who i also an orphane but is against abortion but he works with michael caines character he really wants to see the world and be in the raf but he cant coz he has a heart murmor
this is a film worth working!!
Daniel J D

July 24, 2007
Charlize Theron plays the confused, dirty whorish type and Tobey Maguire her nerdy fling. Michael Caine plays a dying doctor/director of an orphanage, and ironically enough, an abortion enthusiast.

Tobey Maguire grows up in and helps run the orphanage until running off to do some apple picking... and Charlize Theron (Who wants orphans when you can have her?). The movie seems quite sincere but ultimately over-eager and ultimately, inconclusive. The film's subjects include rape, incest, abortion, racism, love, and lust, but none are properly breached or fully developed. It's an interesting movie, no doubt, but mostly just confusing and sad.
Summer W

July 5, 2007
This film touches on very delicate subject matter in a very delicate way. In a society when people are vilified for their choices and actions, this film shows what it's really like to have do deal with such choices.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

June 27, 2007
Lasse Hallström at his best, and one of the few swedish directors I would say has true talent. Being a swede myself you can take my word for it. Besides that a very good film that deserves all its praise.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 30, 2007
wonderful adaptation of the book, entire cast is excellent
Jason S

December 28, 2006
A good movie.
deano
deano

November 15, 2006
Superb tale about family, love and the search to find a place and purpose in the world. You gotta watch this!
Michael G

October 25, 2006
Good but not great. If nothing else you get to see Charlize Theron's butt.
Byron B

March 29, 2007
Irving adapted his novel to the screen himself. Orphans, abortion, incest, suicide, addictions, affair, and migrant workers are some of the difficult issues explored in this story. Yet it is ultimately an uplifting coming-of-age tale. Homer (Maguire) is an orphan who becomes like a son to the doctor (Caine) who runs the orphanage. I identified with the theme of needing to leave home to see the world and form your own identity. Homer meets a young soldier (Rudd), just ready to serve in WWII, and the soldier's fiance (Theron), who show him the ocean and arrange for a job as an apple picker. The migrant workers are of various minorities, and though we don't get to know many of them very well, this portion of the story reminded me of John Steinbeck (Dickens is also alluded to at times). The title comes from a list of rules posted in the workers' housing. Even though it is a slippery slope, I was right with Mr. Rose (Lindo) when he questioned whether rules written by the powerful are really for those with no power or if we must create our own rules. There seemed to be a subtext questioning sacred laws here. Well, Homer fights the fact that he is a skilled doctor (with informal training) because he doesn't want to follow his adoptive "father's" footsteps. Homer also has youthful ideals, yet as he faces some tough challenges, he begins to realize how complicated the world is ethically. He begins to find his place in the world. There are some lovely scenes that show characters appreciating good literature and fun film-going experiences. Hallstrom weaves together an intricate plot in a wonderfully realized time period with insightful performances from the whole cast.