Cinderella Man Reviews

June 16, 2012
One of the best underrated movies of all time. Ron Howard makes you feel like you knew what the Great Depression was actually like for people going through it. Paul Giamati is great in a supporting role.
½ August 11, 2015
A feel good underdog period drama/sports movie that will have you cheering.One of Crowe's best performances and one of Howards best film in quite a while.
½ August 4, 2015
Ron Howard and Russell Crowe team up again to bring us this extraordinary tale of a struggling boxer. I have seen many sports films and Cinderella man quite frankly is one of my all time favourites, it is better than a beautiful mind and I can't believe Crowe did not get an oscar nomination for best actor but regardless great performances from all the actors with a great vision from Howard and topped off with an incredible score by Thomas Newman, just simply an amazing film
July 26, 2015
Emotive real drama of a gladiator who became a symbol of hope.A Russell crowe with no waste
½ July 22, 2015
Are you sad? depressed? ready to give up? Go see this movie! The comeback is real!
June 5, 2015
I found the boxing matches particularly intense. Be sure, though, that this isn't only survival in the ring, but also outside the ring.
June 1, 2015
Though it begins a very unique, heartbreaking, and moving story, in the end it borrows too much from its predecessors, is far too predictable, and much too overdramatic to be truly amazing. Even so, some of the work outside the ring is quite beautiful and earns this picture's reputation. Howard's direction is well-off as usual and Crowe is as powerful a leading man as anyone, but it's Zellweger who proves to be a let down when the spot light asks too much of her. Some of her scenes are sadly some of the worst in the film. All in all it's a good sports film, but nothing extraordinary. (81%)
½ March 21, 2015
Ron Howard did an amazing job again. The film is very good. Love the casts and the story.
½ June 27, 2013
Crowe does Rocky and this film proves that Ron Howard and Russell Crowe are a dream team. 'Cinderella Man' really demonstrates that it is all about the execution. The outcome of the film may be apparent right from the start, however, it is based off of a real life story so it's not like it has been Hollwoodized, but it doesn't take away any of the power and life that this film has and actually does have some surprises in store. An excellent Russell Crowe, who, with his haircut, reminds me of a young Cliff Robertson, once again shows his ability for versatility and mastery of accents. He just has this aurora about him that really brings these characters to life and really makes them likeable. Paul Giamatti was a lot of fun, seeing him be so lively on the side of the ring like a little jumping bean was a lot of fun to watch, he was quite funny too. I'm surprised this is what got him an Oscar nod, he certainly wasn't bad, clearly, but I thought it would have been 'Sideways' or something but maybe it's because of how different he was here is the reason why he got it. Renée Zellweger did a good job but she felt like wasn't in the film enough, as well as Paddy Constantine, who was a surprising but great choice for the role; they're not poorly developed or anything, they just didn't seem to be on screen much or have all that much to do and have little point. The main focus here is Braddock and Gould.

The look of this film is outstanding and very authentic, the cinematography is gorgeous and vividly brings the era to life; the script develops its characters well and doesn't rely on any clichés to get its story across. That is besides one, whilst everyone else has some depth Max Baer doesn't really have anything to him at all, besides being the antagonist to our story. It works because he really annoyed me and I couldn't wait for the fight to happen but the tiniest bit of depth wouldn't have gone a miss, and from the sounds of it, the actual Baer did have quite a lot to him, saying that, he did respect his opponent, but when the fight started? Well, all bets were off, still, Craig Bierko did a very good job. Speaking of, the boxing matches are excellently filmed and very involving; they are just dazzling to watch, gritty, powerful and really grab onto you. The final fight, that could have easily lasted about 20 minutes, I'm not all that sure, I lost track of time because of how involved I was, featured some masterful directing. I found the overall film very involving because before the final fight I was actually starting to get a little nervous for Braddock, now that's great filmmaking. I also never felt like Braddock was 'washed up' he just had a bit of bad luck, it happens to everyone, but then again I guess that's why they say he's only 'supposedly' washed up, but even so.

Like most successful boxing films, the story follows a familiar arc but this film succeeds because it is written really well, absolutely nails the setting and has good, likeable characters. It doesn't manipulate emotions out of the viewer, it actually earns them very well and it is ultimately a very feel good film but it's the best kind. However, it would have been interesting to see it break convention and show us what happened in his next fight, but, hey, who am I to kill the mood? It tells us what happens in Braddock's future right after he wins and I found that a little disheartening, it actually ends the same way 'A Beautiful Mind' did, only in terms of the text it shows on screen; the film also starts the same way as well, actually, with the music playing over the opening titles of the same companies that worked on both films. I also like the way the film handled flashback scenes and the way that it shows what characters are thinking, it's just really creative and smart. With excellent acting from a powerful cast, solid writing, excellent cinematography and all around well crafted by Ron Howard, 'Cinderella Man', is a fantastic example of classic filmmaking and it's another film off of the list.
March 13, 2015
In my school, my History teacher showed this movie which I was very excited to watch it after hearing so many good things. After watching Far and Away and Flyboys, Cinderella Man is WAY better than both of them combined. Russell Crowe is amazing, Renee Zellweger is really good in this, and Paul Giamatti is excellent in this that he's actually one of the best parts of the movie. Akiva Goldsman and Cliff Hollingsworth did a fantastic job with the script and kept it investing for 144 minutes. The characters are very memorable, especially James Braddock who you can tell that he is trying to do his hardest to keep the family living. WIth the story taking place during the Great Depression, it really makes the drama very strong and effective which makes you want to root for him and their family's survival. The fight scenes are exciting to watch and I was worried about whether or not he's going to survive. The story is really good, and actually reminded me of Rocky while still being its own thing. It's one of the best boxing movies I have ever seen and the best way I said it about this movie to my teacher which I don't know if it's spoiling it, but I said that Cinderella Man is the Rocky V that Rocky V failed to be.
March 11, 2015
Much better than the sissy name they gave the movie (apparently, the character was really nicknamed this). It's a good drama that remains interesting throughout and contains above average acting from most of the entire cast. I felt what they wanted me to feel and will watch this again someday!
March 16, 2011
Renee Zellweger is amazing as always in this and I want to see her in more things right now. Paul Giamatti is great too. Crowe is ok
½ February 9, 2015
What a great movie. I'm about 9 years late in seeing this......so good. Such a well done movie. I absolutely love historical dramas and this is right up there with some of the best. Great, great movie.
February 1, 2015
Cinematography & Editing - 8.5
Soundtrack/Score & Set Design - 8
How much I enjoyed it personally - 8
December 19, 2014
We watched this movie I our American History class. It was amazing!!!! We love it so much. Every time we would start where we left off from we would get into the movie so much, we got mad when the bell would ring. the last spot we left off in the movie was right before the big fight against Max Baer. I can't wait to see the rest of this movie!! We have to wait two weeks to see the ending because we are on Christmas break. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!!!!! :)
September 11, 2007
Russel Crowe depicts the story of real life boxer from the great depression era James Braddock. The movie outlines his struggles to raise his family, and well as comeback from his injuries to revive his boxing career. Crowe acted well in this Cinderella/underdog story, but the film really does not throw any unexpected punches either.
½ November 29, 2014
Ein guter und emotionaler Film, um einen Underdog bis zur Spitze schafft! Und das noch nach wahrer Begebenheit. Diese Geschichte erinnert schon ein bisschen nach Rocky, mit Sylvester Stallone. Auch gut besetzt mit Russell Crowe und Renee Zellweger. Sehr tiefgründig in Szene gesetzt und mit guter Musik untermalt. Nur leider hat es zwischen durch einige Passagen, die etwas stocken, im Verlauf der Geschichte. Ein gutes Boxerdrama mit einigen Schwächen!
November 6, 2014
Watched this movie in history class at school and I absolutely loved it! Cant get over how amazing this movie was!!
August 22, 2014
one of the most satisfying and well acted boxing movies to be made