Cinema Verite Reviews

May 4, 2015
Not familiar with the documentary this is based on, and it took a lot of imagination to convert the scenes into the reality show, but the acting was excellent and Gandolfini once again played a role that only he could do justice to -- someone to fall in love with even as he does something of problematic ethics..
September 24, 2014
An interesting idea about an unknown subject (at least to me) but the problem was the same problem the producer had it wasn't too interesting, not edgy enough, at least by today's reality TV standards.
June 28, 2014
Inside reality television's first family.
Ce faux documentaire retrace l'histoire de la première télé réalité américaine dans les années 70, où la famille Loud y dévoile ses bons côtés mais aussi des moments moins glorieux qui seront exposés malgré eux au grand public.
Avec Diane Lane et Tim Robbins pour incarner les parents Loud, et James Gandolfini pour représenter le créateur de l'émission, on peut dire que le casting est de grande classe et les promesses tenues de ce côté. Les styles vestimentaire, architectural et capillaire des années 70 sont fidèlement reproduits. On assiste à l'émancipation féminine grâce à Pat Loud qui refuse le carcan sociétaire de l'époque et décide de dire non à un mari dont l'adultère devient plus évident chaque jour. On reprochera un démarrage lent qui tarde à nous rendre la famille attachante, mais la suite est intrigante et on se demande comment les images de tournage vont être assemblées pour la diffusion télévisuelle, et quelles en seront les conséquences. Un avertissement sur l'immiscion dans la vie privée qui n'aura pas été écouté...
December 21, 2013
I started this DVD thinking that it would be another version of American Splendor. Nope, this film is less post-modern and more dramatic. That said, I still liked Berman and Pulcini's touches that were also in American Splendor, i.e., mixing real footage with reconstructed footage.

The acting was superb.
Harlequin68
½ October 28, 2013
Inspired by the work of Margaret Mead, documentary filmmaker Craig Gilbert(James Gandolfini) has an idea for a teleivsion series to capture an average American family going about their everyday lives on film, worried as he is about any future cultural impact the Partridge Family might have. He is introduced to Pat Loud(Diane Lane, apparently stuck in 1973) through a mutual friend. She agrees to participate, even with the logistical nightmare of her husband Bill's(Tim Robbins) frequent business trips. The filming starts with her visiting their son Lance(Thomas Dekker) at some place called the Chelsea Hotel in New York.

Like their previous "American Splendor," Shari Springer Berman & Robert Pulcini take another pointed look at the thin line between fact and fiction with "Cinema Verite," grounded by a very strong performance from Diane Lane. Normally, I would prefer the real footage(which I have never seen) but aside from making me feel uneasy, I would rather go with this dramatizaion since the viewer can see how intrusive the cameras were into the Loud family household. As seen here, at the time of the filming, it did not change their lives that much, only after, of which even Gilbert was not immune. At least, unlike those who came later, they had no idea what was going to happen and I wonder if somebody was wondering at the time if people actually watched public television.
½ June 1, 2012
Stellar acting and overall a fascinating drama about the first family to star on a reality television program!
July 16, 2013
Educating movie about the genesis of reality shows... and my noting that nothing has changed much!
½ March 24, 2013
Muito legal. Meio que um falso documentário sobre o primeiro reality show da história
January 10, 2013
Though I'm often not a fan of TV movies, HBO's "Cinema Verite", which is much more brilliantly put together and clever than most, is a gem among the brilliant films the channel has brought to us-- it may even be the best of them all. The film itself is simply about the making of, and the behind the scenes, of the controversial (and ultimately important) 1973 documentary, "An American Family". Paving the way for the reality television genre, the series ultimately was important but misunderstood: and "Cinema Verite" puts everything together. It chronicles both before the Loud family was filmed and after, and the results are very interesting. What America saw was bits and pieces of drama-- with this film, not only do we see every bit, but it's ultimately respectful (and true) yet just as compelling as "An American Family" itself. Directing team Shari Springer Berman, and Robert Pulcini do a superb job of capturing the bits and pieces of the real life documentary, and the bonus scenes feel real, never dramatized just to make good television. But the real triumph of "Cinema Verite" is the power behind Diane Lane (Pat Loud), James Gandolfini (Craig Gilbert, the man behind the original series), and Thomas Dekker's (Lance Loud) performances. Dekker plays the famously homosexual Lance with truth and wit, and Gandolfini is ultimately terrific because he plays the shady Gilbert with charm-- because of his characterization, you can see why the Loud family trusted him in the first place. Of course, though, the real treat is Lane, who not only portrays Pat as the person she really was but she never overacts, something obviously hard to do considering the emotions of the scene. She's realistic, and that's what this film ultimately needs. "Cinema Verite" may be labeled as just another HBO TV-movie set to win Emmy's, but this time, it's actually deserving.
½ December 27, 2012
Cinema Verite, about the first American reality TV family, was a fascinating movie, but only as a movie. As a series that I remember, I personally felt that An American Family was boring, just like the reality TV it spawned. Because, like An American Family, reality TV is not really the truth--it is not a documentary. By putting a camera in front of real people--they become actors and no longer real, especially when it goes on for so long. One can be one's self in front of a camera for a few minutes perhaps, but not longer. I really hate reality TV, and so do many other people I talk too, even people I don't really know, but with whom I strike up a spur of the moment conversation, and that always ends with, "God, I hope it's over soon!"
½ December 2, 2012
The editing, acting and art is so lovely, is simply perfect, i really love it
November 5, 2012
A delightful insight into the invention of reality TV. Maybe a few explosions though would be terrific.
½ October 21, 2012
Its an interesting story, perhaps would have been better as a book.
October 9, 2012
This one caught my attention because of the always lovely Diane Lane, but after reading about it I was truly curious to see what the very first look at 'reality television' was truly like, especially back in the '70s when things were a lot more shocking than the crap we've become desensitized to these days.

Worth a look, but honestly never went anywhere I didn't expect it to go.

Rental?
½ August 19, 2012
Great performance Especially by Tim Robbins and Thomas Dekker.
½ July 15, 2012
Not bad for the first "real" reality TV!!!
July 13, 2012
Cinema Verite reveals the birth of reality TV, reveals all what is wrong with it and then shows the unfashionable happy ending. Cinema Verite could of had a cinema release, I think it was good enough. The cast all do a fine job and I thought the mix of recreation and real footage was the best I've seen from the genres. Diane Lane and Tim Robbins a great in their roles but it's James Gandolfini who really steals the show, playing lovable and dastardly equally well.
½ July 4, 2012
muy buenas actaciones de diane laane y Jame Gandolfini tren a la vida la historia del primer reality show que escandalizo a america y a la familia que casi destruyo
June 18, 2012
Finally a movie worth watching while I've been on maternity leave! Excellent docudrama ... Hats off to Diane Lane, Tim Robbins and James Gandolfini ...