64% Hercules Jul 25

82% Satisfaction: Season 1
87% The Strain: Season 1
85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away (2012)

tomatometer

Average Rating: 3.5/5
User Ratings: 12,886

My Rating

Movie Info

From the big top to the big screen, visionary filmmaker James Cameron and director Andrew Adamson (Shrek, Narnia) invite you and your family on an all new 3D adventure: Cirque du Soleil Worlds Away. A young couple who is separated, must journey through the astonishing and dreamlike worlds of Cirque du Soleil to find each other, as audiences experience the immersive 3D technology that will allow them to leap, soar, swim, and dance with the performers. This Holiday Season, Cirque du Soleil brings

Mar 12, 2013

$12.5M

Paramount Pictures - Official Site External Icon

Watch It Now

Cast

Latest News on Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away

March 12, 2013:
RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Life of Pi and Rise of the Guardians
This week on home video, we've got four new releases that are Certified Fresh, including one...
December 20, 2012:
Critics Consensus: Jack Reacher Features Tom Cruise in Control
This week at the movies, we've got a cool cop (Jack Reacher, starring Tom Cruise and Rosamund Pike);...

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

All Critics (43) | Top Critics (16) | Fresh (20) | Rotten (23)

For older kids or grown-ups who've dreamed of joining the circus, it's a wildly imaginative treat.

December 26, 2012 Full Review Source: Seattle Times
Seattle Times
Top Critic IconTop Critic

This big-screen vehicle for the popular performance troupe would be more bearable if the exhibitors passed out earplugs along with the 3-D glasses.

December 21, 2012 Full Review Source: Chicago Reader
Chicago Reader
Top Critic IconTop Critic

It's refreshing to sit back and bask in the sheer joy with which these brightly costumed, stunningly agile performers navigate fire, water and air.

December 21, 2012 Full Review Source: New York Post
New York Post
Top Critic IconTop Critic

What the movie lacks, unfortunately, is coherence.

December 21, 2012 Full Review Source: Washington Post
Washington Post
Top Critic IconTop Critic

"Cirque du Soleil: World's Away" is a rare entertainment, being for the benefit of everyone.

December 20, 2012 Full Review Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Even if the film is no substitute for the real thing, it is at least an effective advertisement.

December 20, 2012 Full Review Source: New York Times
New York Times
Top Critic IconTop Critic

...it's a tourism brochure, a very long, very sparkly infomercial for one-handed pushups...

March 18, 2013 Full Review Source: Movies.com
Movies.com

Designed as pure confection for the eyes, this largely wordless fare is perfect for kids (how many G-rated films are there around?) and for any stressed-out office worker eager for something to unwind to.

March 17, 2013 Full Review Source: 3AW

The miracle of the live Cirque du Soleil experience simply does not translate into film. I felt as though I had been invited to an extravagant banquet and while I was able to admire what was on offer, I never got close enough to satisfy my appetite

February 16, 2013 Full Review Source: Urban Cinefile
Urban Cinefile

It's solemn, tasteless, overdressed, a circus smelling of Chanel No 5 rather than sweat and sawdust.

February 3, 2013 Full Review Source: Observer [UK]
Observer [UK]

If the less-than-compelling plot leads you to drift off, it won't be long before another tour-de-force of agility or grace jerks you awake.

February 2, 2013 Full Review Source: Movie Talk
Movie Talk

A drippy linking story only reinforces the concert video feel, and it inevitably lacks the spark of live performance.

February 1, 2013 Full Review Source: Daily Telegraph
Daily Telegraph

It's all beautifully choreographed, the performers are remarkable and the set design is wonderful, but even in 3D, writer/director Andrew Adamson's film lacks the exhilarating thrill of seeing the shows live.

February 1, 2013 Full Review Source: Radio Times
Radio Times

A stronger storyline might have helped.

February 1, 2013 Full Review Source: This is London
This is London

Going to a real circus is much more fun.

January 31, 2013 Full Review Source: Sun Online
Sun Online

The female lead only says one word during Worlds Away: "Help". I know exactly how she feels.

January 31, 2013 Full Review Source: Guardian
Guardian

The film doesn't convey a sense of danger to Cirque's trapeze ballets and you'll struggle to find any sort of narrative logic to the Mexican wrestlers bouncing to Elvis numbers.

January 28, 2013 Full Review Source: Scotsman
Scotsman

The lack of focus on a single story makes it feel more like a highlight reel or infomercial more than anything.

January 14, 2013 Full Review Source: Cinemalogue.com
Cinemalogue.com

Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away is fine to look at, but good luck feeling anything.

January 4, 2013 Full Review Source: Austin Chronicle
Austin Chronicle

As a showcase for Cirque's astonishing assortment of shows, it's a must-see for fans.

December 27, 2012 Full Review Source: FromTheBalcony

Feel free to gorge, but know that catering to every taste never produces a great meal.

December 26, 2012 Full Review Source: Boston Phoenix
Boston Phoenix

Spectacular, but without a real story, it might bore kids.

December 23, 2012 Full Review Source: Common Sense Media
Common Sense Media

The flawless artistry of the human form defying physics and physiology with effortless grace, spiked with pathos, wit, romance, or mystery, is a marvel to behold.

December 21, 2012 Full Review Source: Killer Movie Reviews
Killer Movie Reviews

Audience Reviews for Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away

Ok, for starters this isn't really a movie, as it's a compilation of performances strung together giving you the experience of one of these shows. I've only seen like small sets, and never an actual full performance and I gotta say, what this group does is amazing. Visually, this is one of the best movies for blu ray(can't say for 3D, haven't seen in 3D, but I'm sure it looks awesome). Now, having said that, I have no idea what the hell went on or if there was a story being told at all(which I'm sure there was). Emily made the comment that is absolutely true, "if we ever get high, we have to watch this", because this is the type of thing to watch like that. Its trippy as hell in parts. It's entertaining to watch, but don't expect to comprehend much of it, and if you do you're much smarter than me and please let me know what you got out of it. I got that it's a story about love, but other than that, I got nothing but "Wow, that looks crazy!" Also, anything with Beatles music is great in my book. Worth a watch? Absolutely, but not if you want to watch a "movie", but if you want to watch something different, unique, and more of an "experience".
March 26, 2013
Everett Johnson

Mesmerizing acrobatics that would undoubtedly be better in a live theatre. The star-crossed lovers frame story of Mia and the Aerialist is pretty bland, but their swings routine at the end is beautiful. Sexiest kiss since upside-down Spidey: The Aerialist performs a parallel Iron Cross (or something), and Mia hangs onto his neck as they soar up and share their first kiss. Aww.
January 3, 2013
aliceinpunderland

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away on our Movie forum!

What's Hot On RT

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus

Episode 33
Episode 33

The Leftovers recap

Foreign Titles

• Cirque du Soleil - Traumwelten (DE)
  • Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away (UK)