64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

67% Matador: Season 1
83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

71% Dallas: Season 3
62% Under the Dome: Season 2

City After Dark (Manila by Night)

City After Dark (Manila by Night) (1980)

tomatometer

Average Rating: 3.5/5
User Ratings: 630

My Rating

Movie Info

This film was originally titled Manila by Night until, it is rumored, Imelda Marcos asked that the title be changed so as not to specifically malign "her city." The action in the film takes place in Manila, and involves various protagonists -- including the city itself -- in the lowest of human entrapments: drugs and vice. Homosexual sequences highlight an alternative lifestyle, and as the nightlife functions as an alter-ego for the busy, daytime streets. At the time of this movie's release,

Unrated,

Art House & International, Drama

Aug 29, 2006

Watch It Now

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

All Critics (1) | Fresh (1) | Rotten (0)

A histrionic melodrama that plays out on an epic scale, it genuinely warrants comparisons to the great works of the Italian neorealists and Altman's Nashville.

September 2, 2010 Full Review Source: MovieMartyr.com
MovieMartyr.com

Audience Reviews for City After Dark (Manila by Night)

Before our film industry has turned into the mainstream disappointment that it has been today, masters like Ishmael Bernal strengthen the industry's foundations, not by big-budget films that boasts of colorful, shallow nationalism, but supported its pillars with critical bravery, exploring the themes, subjects, and immoralities in a time of modernistic bondage of expressive sovereignty(Marcos era). I've always conditioned my mind that "Maynila: Sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag"is the best film to ever portray the eponymous capital of the Philippines. But witnessing this work for the first time, it has altered my perception of the Lino Brocka classic, and at the same time, "City After Dark", for me, has immediately entered the realms of being one of the "definitive" Filipino films at its highest auteuristic control. But do not get me wrong, "Maynila: Sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag" offered an unforgettably painful look of the city from the eyes of, putting it bluntly, an alienated 'promdi'. It's a film that steers raw emotions, and at times slipping into melodrama, but "City After Dark" may have been the opposite; it explores apathy in the midst of moral decadence. There's moments in this film where the characters asks each other artificial questions like "Do you really love me?", or "Will you really marry me?". they're not honest queries, but merely asked so to pass the time. And though same questions may have come from sincere hearts, it's beyond their grasp. Manila's too busy a city to provide secure answers.
September 29, 2010
Ivan6655321

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss City After Dark (Manila by Night) on our Movie forum!

What's Hot On RT

New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Godzilla, The Fault in Our Stars

Boardwalk Empire
Boardwalk Empire

New reviews for "Good Listener"