70% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Great Movie I loved it!
January 13, 2008
I only rated this a 3 because of De Niro
July 13, 2014
Too much melodrama with a decent cast. Seems like a cable tv flick rather than a fully cooked feature. I think the fault is in direction, and perhaps in better hands, it could have been a little better. Otherwise, not memorable a bit.
June 17, 2014
Really good crime drama and a redemptive story abut not repeating one's mistake's. An excellent cast all give really poignant performances.
filmlover1994
May 30, 2014
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time.
May 27, 2014
I got to say that "City by the Sea" is surprisingly a good movie. "It's gripping and intense." The performances in this movie are fine. "Robert De Niro is outstanding. And James Franco gives a remarkable performances in this movie." The directing by Michael Caton-Jones is good. The screenplay by Ken Hixon and Frank R. Pierson is good as well. And the score in this movie is very mellow.
Buggy43
November 11, 2013
This was just an okay crime drama despite a more than decent cast. Based on a true story Robert De Niro plays a detective whose estranged and drug addicted son is a suspect in a murder investigation (played brilliantly by James Franco) Turns out De Niro's father was a bad man too. 11.13
Cynthia S

November 13, 2013
3 3/4's--I rather liked this for what it's worth. Not a big blockbuster movie. A little slow, but it contains some really good actors...minus William Forsythe. I cringe when I see him in movies. All in all, this was an interesting film, and it was a lot better than I had anticipated. Excellent performances by both De Niro, Franco, and Mc Dormand.
February 27, 2009
An average thriller.
Robert Z.
January 22, 2014
Far from Deniro's best; still a decent cop/suspense drama. The supporting cast does a fine job of holding together a weak script.
September 12, 2013
no review here. would like to watch again someday.
February 3, 2009
A film, partly a cop thriller, partly a family drama, that stays on the surface despite great actors. I can't really pinpoint what went wrong but, apart from James Franco's performance, none of the performances are moving or interesting.
July 31, 2010
1 of the finest movies & performances .... I've seen !
April 19, 2013
Again a movie that I loved that is underrated by some many people! Great casting with Robert De Niro and James Franco as the troubled son.
April 1, 2013
An above average drama that focus's on storytelling and emotion with a great performance from Deniro.
March 18, 2013
En typisk okej rulle.
October 30, 2012
This is a great story about a dysfunctional family. Lots of laughs throughout. One of my favorites.
March 7, 2013
New York City homicide detective "Vincent LaMarca" (Robert De Niro) investigates the murder of a drug pusher -- and the prime suspect is his own drug addicted, estranged son (James Franco). However, he's not the only one who wants his son.

This is one of the best acted movies I've seen. Nearly every actor did a really good job. The only problem is that some of the characters were in it less than they should have been in my opinion.

De Niro and especially Franco have the best performances in this movie. You can actually sense the rift between the two. You can also feel the inner struggle of Franco's character as he battles drug addiction.

The visuals are not that spectacular. The scenes that are actually filmed in NYC don't use the metropolis to its advantage. Another problem is the movie's locations where Franco's character lives isn't as rundown as you'd expect to see.

The script itself is not bad and the movie is well-paced. There isn't much suspense like there should have been. A movie like this should have had more dramatic scenes of the son running from the law.

This is one movie you should consider renting the next time you go to your local rental store. Just about everything makes this movie worth taking a look at.
February 1, 2013
Imagine eating five or six pieces of toast as a meal, wouldn't you be left feeling like, "Is this it?!?" It isn't that there is anything wrong with toast, but piece after piece it wouldn't make for much of a meal in it of itself. In the same way, City by the Sea just didn't leave me satisfied. It wasn't that there was anything blaringly wrong with it, but it never presented any interesting flavors to savor; it just bored me. Things picked up later in the movie, and I did like the poignancy of the ending, but I just didn't think it was worth the wait to get there. The trailer makes it look like an edge of your seat thriller - it is not.
January 19, 2013
All components of this film come together to make a tuly remarkable piece. It is shot expertly in remarkably drab locations providing an excellent look and feel to the film. DeNiro as always does his role justice as the tired old cop with hereditary troubles, including some excellent emotional moments in contrast to his reserved almost detached persona.