• PG-13, 1 hr. 54 min.

100% Veep: Season 3

City Slickers Reviews

Daniel P

May 9, 2007
An absolute classic that's too corny once in a while, but only because it's playing with conventions of the cowboy genre (baked beans, singalongs, cattle drives, Jack Palance, etc.). Billy Crystal is not one of my favourite actors, but we see a real growth in him as he pulls himself out of a midlife crisis along with his two lifelong best friends on a two-week trip during which they take a herd of cattle from New Mexico to Colorado. A real "Guy Movie," in a sense, and Jack Palance as Curly - same nickname as the violent rancher in John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, by the way - fully deserved his Best Supporting Actor Oscar, walking the line between playing it straight and completely camping it up. Great, fun film, highly recommend.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

May 14, 2007
Three friends in a mid-life crisis goes on a Wild West adventure together, to re-ignite their lost passions for life. This isn't really a Western movie in the classic sense though, but more like a fish-out-of-water comedy, with influences from said genre. It does have the same feel of one, however, and is one of the most enjoyable films of its kind. Billy Crystal is hilarious with his sarcasm and cynical sense of humor, and together with Daniel Stern and Bruno Kirby they make up a really fun trio. You'll also find Jake Gyllenhaal in a very young role here. Not to mention Jack Palance, who is very memorable as Curly Washburn - an old legendary cowboy who oozes intimidation. If there was ever a contest for most bad-ass cowboy in cinema, it would be a close race between him and Clint Eastwood. Long story short: a highly entertaining movie, and one of my all-time favourite Westerns.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 1, 2009
Totally strange, although I really enjoy Billy Crystal Movies I have trouble with this Movie. Everyone says it is funny, I watched it couple of times, okay it is funny but not funny "Laugh your Buttocks off." It is just a chuckle thing for me.
I mean believe it or not I really tried my best and watched couple of times thought maybe I was too tired but it never amused me. It made me you know sort of tired chuckling.

*shrugs*
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

September 8, 2010
not interested
Spencer S

April 4, 2010
The wittiest of buddy comedies, it features the lovable Billy Crystal trying to find something lost within himself, which is amendable. Can't wait to see the sequel!
Anthony L

September 25, 2009
I loved it as a kid but it hasn?t aged well!
Jason O

September 14, 2009
The shining moment of Billy Crystal's career in my book, love both of the movies in this series.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 4, 2008
Good "Guy" flick, excellent conversations with boring plot, but its entertaining.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 1, 2007
been a while.
garyX
garyX

April 27, 2007
Billy Crystal decides to go to a dude ranch while experiencing a mid-life crisis and undergoes the usual lightly comic life lessons. worth seeing for Jack Palance sending himself up as a grizzled old cowpoke.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 18, 2007
a great comedy, billy crystals best flick
Jason S

December 27, 2006
Funny and a good time. It inspired men all over the world to try and be cowboys once again.
deano
deano

November 30, 2006
This comedy combines an engrossing story with some wonderfully funny lines about three friends play at cowboys during a cattle drive.
Leigh R

November 10, 2006
Great and funny.
Dann M

December 30, 2013
Yee-Haw! Hilariously entertaining, City Slickers rustles up a lot of laughs. When advertising executive Mitch Robbins has a mid-life crisis his best friends take him on a cattle drive for his birthday in hopes of lifting his spirits. Starring Billy Crystal, Daniel Stern, Helen Slater, and Jack Palance, the film has a solid cast that delivers strong performances. Additionally, the comedy is especially well-written, and has some insightful commentary on urban life and the issues that men face in modern society. The score too is quite good, and sets a lighthearted tone for the film. While it can get a little stereotypical at times, City Slickers is a fun-filled comedy with a heartfelt message about friendship.
Dillon L

June 4, 2011
A simple, safe, mid-life crisis comedy movie that manages to almost everything right thanks to a humorous script and good performances.
Byron B

February 21, 2007
Though I am not nearing 40 yet, I can appreciate the mid-life crisis theme in this movie. I seem to have little crises a lot more often than just one yet to come in mid-life. Palance was mesmerizing even though he didn't have much screen time. The three leads, Crystal, Stern and Kirby are entertaining and believable as regular guys. I distinctly got a kick out of Daniel Stern's explosions of pent-up frustration. And I found it so inspiring that the meaning of life is Jack Palance's finger! Haha.
Juan C

June 6, 2011
billy crystal is at his hillarious and best performance in an adventure where we all are finding what is that one thing in life is in the most hillarious way! A
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

May 5, 2010
Billy Crystal as Mitch Robbins puts a spin on this western as guys facing a middle-life crises who decides to go on a cattle drive adventure to make their life exciting with his friends (Daniel Stern and Bruno Kirby). Jack Palance, is really funny as their homicidal cowboy guide who freaks Mitch out. A consistently and uproariously funny comedy.
Nicolas K

December 2, 2007
Could have been much funnier.