93% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

Civic Duty Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

December 29, 2013
Pretty effective thriller, Civic Duty starring Peter Krause is a low budget picture that manages to be entertaining from start to finish despite its limitations. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the film. Released in the years following 9/11, the film emphasizes on the paranoia at the time when America were in a state of vulnerability. The film is engaging a truly riveting from start to finish. Of course the film could have been improved upon, but for what it is, it's a well crafted film that manages to be far better than what you might think. Krause is great in the lead role, and the film overall relies on a good idea, but at the same time, we've seen better films dealing with similar subjects. Despite its limitations, Civic Duty is one of those movies that are quite engaging considering its budget and simple premise. There are moments in the film where it gets very intense, and you are sucked into its plot. I'll admit that a few times it was silly, but overall, I enjoyed the film, and thought it was a well directed and thrilling film that despite a few weak parts is a picture worth seeing if you enjoy the genre. Krause is a good actor, and his work on Six Feet Under is proof of that, and like I previously said, he is good in the film, and manages to make the film better than it is. For a low budget thriller, Civic Duty is one of the better ones, but it never does reach its full potential, and it somehow leaves you wanting a bit more. Worth seeing if you have nothing else better to do.
February 22, 2013
At times a tense and provocative thriller, Civic Duty struggles to move beyond its one-note premise.
November 30, 2012
Should have turned this off right after I saw the BC license plate on the car when it is suppose to be taking place in the US..Props Fail..DP Fail..Director Fail..Editor Fail.....was a sign of things to come. If you see this on Netflix...skip it!
September 24, 2012
I think the pre-constructed image of Muslims as Terrorists has become really old news .. but the movie was solid good though.
GreenGobbie
October 6, 2007
Starts out quite good. It's actually quite good until, like, the 60th minute where it goes over the top and stupid. The ending was almost as bad as Arlington Road's ending. But still, this is a much better film than AR. Too bad, because this was going to be a great film.
June 26, 2012
Odd but somewhat compelling.
February 2, 2009
Excellent [for what it is] post-911 paranoia thriller; but the final moment kind of defeats the purpose of the film.
Michael A.
April 25, 2012
what could be a really interesting thriller fails to thrill.
March 3, 2012
entertaining small budget thriller...no must see
mohammedhesham
October 2, 2011
it is really movie acts the feelings of west people
to ARAB PEOPLE specially THE EGYPTIONS
KHALED ABO ELNAGA in the character of arabic man
who lived besides an american man
and the american man has alot of doubts that the arabic man wants to kill him or exploe pomp
and he thinks that he is terrorist
but that is wrong........arab people are not terrorists
February 5, 2011
_
... well , you win some, you lose some. The message more than the movie.
andywongfx
January 3, 2011
Is this guy's neighbour a terrorist? I don't even remember but this was an okay film, I suppose.
Hamee
November 2, 2007
I will be passing on this one.
Trouser J.
October 17, 2010
Straight-to-DVD material, with some forgettable acting and a predictable storyline, but the odd moment of suspense.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

April 24, 2010
This movie taps into the post 9/11 paranoia and Peter Krause is believable as the recently laid off accountant, Terry Allen who now is having trouble finding work. He becomes suspicious of his middle-eastern looking neighbor Khaled Abol Naga who has just moved in and seemingly fits the profile of a terrorist because of his friendship with other Arab looking guys who show up at his place with all kinds of mysterious packages and who has the strange habit of dumping his garbage at odd times at night. Khaled also has ominous looking chemical equipment in his kitchen along with ATM deposit envelopes for what appears to be a money laundering set up for terrorist activities. The ending keeps you guessing as it was never really clear whether or not Krause was paranoid or justified in suspecting his neighbor.

My Take: I just think this movie will make more people paranoid. It's is not hard to believe that this kind of bigotry still exist despite our policy of innocent until proven guilty where one should not discriminate based on ethnic culture, religion or color of skin; even if it turns out in the end that you were right all along. It's enough to depress you but will definitely leave you wondering even when it is all over.
spiralrayonshorts
March 22, 2010
what could be a really interesting thriller fails to thrill.
March 16, 2010
Classic example of how a terrible ending can sour a movie completely -- not that this was some great film or anything. I kinda enjoyed the movie when it showed Krause's character for what he really was: a fucking psychopath. The "terrorist" in question is also surprisingly likeable in these scenes, and while this role reversal doesn't necessarily make the film good, it is interesting. The climax is something of a disaster, and then the ending tries to justify everything he did. Fuck this movie.
iLeo
iLeo

December 28, 2007
Paranoia. Profile. Hysteria. Truth. An exciting and suspenseful film! Great performances by Peter Krause and Khaled Abol Naga. Worth seeing!
Brody M

October 25, 2009
It was OK.Nothing special
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

September 18, 2009
This movie hit the screen shortly after 9-11, it was done fast to capitalize on the post 9-11 movie rush. Its not a bad movie but its surly low budget. Our Main Crazy Star is Peter Krause who plays Terry Allen, a loser of a man, lost job, losing his wife, he sits at home watching the news about the 9-11 terrorist and this creates fear in his mind. Next thing you know Gabe Hassan played by Khaled Abol Naga moves into the apartment complex. This is an accurate portrayals of modern-day paranoia in the most of the world, but here in the United States we have once again let our guard down. Gabe is a Middle Eastern Man, and Terry falls into the negative thinking that Gabe is a terrorist. He does everything to the man to get something to point that Gabe is fixing to attack the US. The FBI is involved, Terry just flips out and in the end is put in to a mental Facility and then one day watching the news Terry sees on the news all that he was telling the FBI has unfolded. Its worth 3 stars