—— The Identical Sep 05

Wrath of the Titans Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 1, 2014
I personally felt that the sequel to the remake of Clash of the Titans was much better movie than the remake itself. What made this film work more than the 2010 film was that it a better story, better performances and overall a bit more engaging action. The remake was a mess because the action was all over the place, and you simply lost interest after a while. With Wrath of Titans, they seemed to take a step back, and focus more on a writing a better story, with effective action that would please fantasy fans. The film is far from perfect, but overall it's a satisfying movie that might surprise viewers that hated the Clash of the Titans remake. The run time is shorter, thus it gets to the point fairly quickly and in the case of this film, it's a big plus because, the original just tried too hard at being grand, ambitious and epic, and in turn it turned out to be a tiresome mess of a film, one that wasn't worth investing your time in, and it showed plenty of weak points instead of strengths because it copied the 80's original, instead of trying to come up with a new angle to tell the story. The filmmakers have succeeded at crafting an entertaining movie with lots of action that is not boring or dull, and it's got a good story as well, maybe not the best, but far better than its predecessor. This is not great cinema, but it's a fun, entertaining popcorn action fantasy film if you're in the right frame of mind to watch. The film won't get any awards, but it's not bad either. I was very much entertained by this follow-up, and considering it follows-up a remake, they managed to make it better than its predecessor.
Eugene B

August 5, 2013
An obvious made-for-3D form of motion pictures. Wrath of the Titans focuses entirely on the envisioning effects and CGI-improvements. But the nearly chaotic plot and below par acting brings the film further down the trenches. 2/5
Cynthia S

March 30, 2012
Well, I enjoyed it. It wasn't the best Greek Mythology movie that I have ever seen, but it was fun to watch.
cosmo313
cosmo313

December 22, 2011
The 2010 remake of Clash of the Titans was a movie I liked, mostly because it was a lot better than I figured. Now, as for its sequel, which is this movie. I wasn't overly excited to see it, mostly because I dunno, it just didn't seem like it was trying hard to be seen, and it came off as a big after thought. Well, I saw it anyway, and, despite the frosty reception it got, it's actually not terrible, and I did rather enjoy it, which says a lot since I wasn't really expecting anything. It isn't really that good of a movie, but it is watchable, despite being (for me) a step down from its predecessor.

It's been 10 years since Perseus defeated the Kraken, but all is not well. Trying to live a quiet life as a fisherman, the widower Perseus has put his sword away and made the choice to instead focus on raising his son. Up in Olympus, trouble is brewing as well. Since people have lost their faith in the gods and stopped praying to them, they are losing their power. There's an internal struggle going on between the gods and the imprisoned Titans, but, with Zeus being weakened, it becomes easier for the Titan leader Kronos to rise up from imprisonment and begin his quest to take over for good.

This inevitably leads Perseus to begrudgingly get back into quest mode as he has to travel to the underworld to rescue the captive Zeus, taken by the traitorous Hades and Aries. Perseus isn't alone though. He is joined by Agenor (the son of Poseidon), Andromeda, and the reclusive Hephaestus. Together they have to battle all kinds of neat creatures, including the Minotaur and some cyclopses, and see exotic places like the Labyrinth.

There's all kinds of thrilling action and stuff going on, but oddly, this movie didn't really feel as epic as it probably should have. In fact, it's actually rather lackluster and underwhelming. Not sure why, but maybe it's the direction and writing, both of which are rather unremarkable, which is surprising given the set up and possibilities.

The film's not really boring, but it's more forgettable than not, and it doesn't really go out of its way to make you care. And when it does, it falls flat. At least Worthington delivers more with the action than he does with his stiff acting. Ramirez is fine as Aries, and Fiennes and Neeson do elevate the filmsome, even if it's obvious their hearts aren't really in it.

See it if you want, but it's not really anything special.
Christian C

October 7, 2012
The original with Harry Hamlin is easier to follow and has a better story. But the special effects in the 2012 film are great.
Lewis C

October 1, 2012
I was thoroughly disappointed with the Clash of the Titans remake. It was a dull, uninteresting slog of endlessly plodding action scenes and tons of unmemorable CG effects being thrown at the viewer from every angle as a poor substitute for excitement.

Thankfully, Wrath of the Titans manages to be a better movie than Clash in nearly every area. The story is basic but serviceable, with the father of the gods threatening to escape his prison and take out his vengeance on the earth. The gods themselves, weakened by lack of worship and divided by old conflicts, are powerless to face the danger. It falls to Perseus (Sam Worthington) and a small band or warriors to set things right.

The major improvement Wrath makes is that the action scenes and set pieces are much more exciting this time around. Whether chimera attack or the shifting, crushing walls of a labyrinth and the dangerous beast inside, I was never bored by what was happening on the screen. At the very least, this is a watchable fantasy action flick, which puts it above the first film. Greek mythology is so rich and dense that so much more could be done with the gods, monster and locales that Wrath of the Titans mines for material. Even as flawed as Immortals was, it certainly wasn't generic, which even this improved sequel doesn't totally escape until near the end. Still, whether you enjoyed or loathe the Clash of the Titans reboot, this one is better.
skactopus
skactopus

September 13, 2012
Aside from Gods, there isn't a whole lot of power in Jonathan Liebesman's Wrath of the Titans.The plot strings out in linear fashion for its 100 minute story. The details are straightforward, which makes things extremely easy to follow, but at the same time, leaves the film lacking in excitement.The effects are pretty good, with a few disappointing pieces. The grand finale is a highlight and Kronos is an absolute masterpiece. The action lacks excellence and part of it is the choice of mythical beasts and their integration into the story.Most of the characters are lackluster in nature. The lead, Sam Worthington is overshadowed by everyone else. The lovely Rosamund Pike, who takes over the Andromeda role from Alexa Davalos, also comes up on the flat side. Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes are always welcome, but in the end, Bill Nighy is the only one with an eccentric performance.Wrath of the Titans does come up short when compared to its predecessor; however, it is a watchable film for what it is.
Everett J

August 27, 2012
The remake "Clash of the Titans" has grown on me a little, as opposed to me disliking it when it first came out. I didn't really think it warranted a sequel, but I was game for it anyways. "Wrath of the Titans" is that sequel, and it's bigger and badder. But, it's not better. Zeus(Liam Neeson) begins to lose his powers, and is captured by Hades(Ralph Fiennes) and Ares(Edgar Ramirez), and it's up to Perseus(Sam Worthington) to save him and fend off the titans led by Kronos, Yeah it sounds ridiculous, and the story is just that. But man of man does this movie look amazing on screen. Watch this in 3D or Blu Ray if you can, the effects are amazing. I just wish the movie were better to match how it looks. I lost interested mid way through, and it took a couple nights to finish it. Maybe it was because I watched it kind of late at night, but I just couldn't get into it. I'm sure I'll re watch it eventually, and maybe it will grow on me. But for now, it's all looks and no substance.
Joshua W

August 6, 2012
Well. All I can say is who wanted this film? Other then Sam Worthington, who wanted this movie and why does it exist?
Crash E

August 4, 2012
Nothing special except this the most forgettable movie, 5 minutes after the end and I forget what was the movie about, like the first one, it was so bad and far away from what I expected to be.
Jason R

June 29, 2012
Kinda awful, who writes this stuff? Action sequences towards the end of the movie save it from being a completely regrettable use of my time.

Oh, and Rosamund Pike... on second thought, maybe I'll watch it again...
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

July 4, 2012
three stars
Al S

March 4, 2011
This is one hell of an awesome and spectacular action-packed adventure that will blow you away. An incrediable, thrilling and pulse-pounding roller-coaster ride that never lets up for a minute. This is way better than the first film, it`s cooler, grittier and bigger than before. It`s more fierce, stylish, intense and epic than ever before. An explosive and unforgettable action movie extravaganza packed with eye-popping special effects and amazing battle sequences that are a feast for the eyes and ears. It roars across the screen. Director, Jonathean Liebesman crafts a remarkable and breathtaking sequel that bings on all the cool characters and fun from Greek Mythology into making one wickedly entertaining instant classic. A tremendously enjoyable and fun adventure thats heart-pounding and adrenaline-charged. This movie rocks and rocks all the way. The all-star cast is great to watch and bring on the thrills and fun and great star power. Sam Worthington is spectacular. Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes are brilliant. Toby Kebbell is terrific. Bill Nighy is outstanding. Rosamund Pike is excellent.
Stuart B

June 20, 2012
Poop of the Titans...... nut numbingly mediocre effort which would have been worse except for some decent SFX
Phil H

June 19, 2012
Colour me amazed! what in the name of Greek buggery has happened here?! The first film was a complete and utter abomination which brought shame upon Hollywood, it wasn't good enough to buff the boots of the original. I still don't think anyone knows what Harryhausen thought of it.

So I didn't have high hopes for this sequel, which I think is understandable. But to my amazement this franchise has done a complete U-turn and actually come up with a semi decent film, well at least in looks anyway.

Bottom line this is a monster mash of epic proportions, its takes the concept of the original Harryhausen masterpiece and expands it ten fold with dazzling imagery. This is really what they should have done with the first remake instead of making crap up, but what I really can't get my head around is why this sequel looks SO MUCH BETTER than the first!. The last film had the 'Kraken' which did look damn fine, but even that doesn't come close to anything in this sequel.

All the monsters here look terrific, yes there is a time lapse between films of course but the divide between quality here is huge!!. What can I say about 'Kronos'...a colossus of an effect, eye popping! I haven't been so impressed by a cgi effect since gods knows when, I can't remember. He just looked stunning, stunningly real, as if they actually did awaken a real god from the fiery depths of the underworld, colour me stunned!. The only creature I didn't like was the 'Minotaur' which looked like a naff character from 'Mortal Kombat' ('Motaro' without his horse back end).

To be brutally honest the film is kept alive by the effects, the rest of the film is filled with pitiful acting and some of the most bizarre collection of accents for ancient Greece ever. The hero has an Aussie accent, Bill Nighy for some reason uses a Yorkshire accent (Northern England), how on earth they came to that decision I don't know. Finally you have 'Agenor' who is said to be a thief so of course they give him a London cockney accent! why?? what are they implying?.

Yes the film is basic pantomime but so was the original classic. The cast list isn't quite as impressive as the classic but it suffices and everybody does their bit to try for that grandiose epic taste. The whole film does look really really good with lovely locations, great costumes, beautiful vista's and a solid score.

In short I think they have finally captured the classic fun adventurous look of ancient Greek mythology just as they did all those years ago with classic films like 'Jason and the Argonauts'. Yes this sequel does follow pretty much the same pattern as the first, ending with a big monster to battle in the exact same way with virtually the same outcome, but because it all looks so crisp you really don't mind or notice too much.

This new film gives you exactly what we wanted all along and what the classic did perfectly...well created mythological monsters. For once the cgi does do the trick as it should and could if used properly. Ignore the first film this is what you've been waiting for, hopefully the third will continue the goodness.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

June 19, 2012
Feel the Wrath

Great movie! This movie has a heavy duty cast, and only helps to make the movie more poignant. Sam Worthington is a seasoned actor, and the role fit him well, Liam Neeson is and always have been a delight to watch in any role that he undertakes.The action scenes were ridiculously well made, and the computer graphics were one of the best I've scene in a while. The acting was great and so were the characters. For those who liked the first movie, you'll like the second one too. Very entertaining and I tip my hat of to the producers and directors. I recommend this movie.

A decade after his heroic defeat of the monstrous Kraken, Perseus-the demigod son of Zeus-is attempting to live a quieter life as a village fisherman and the sole parent to his 10-year old son, Helius. Meanwhile, a struggle for supremacy rages between the gods and the Titans. Dangerously weakened by humanity's lack of devotion, the gods are losing control of the imprisoned Titans and their ferocious leader, Kronos, father of the long-ruling brothers Zeus, Hades and Poseidon. The triumvirate had overthrown their powerful father long ago, leaving him to rot in the gloomy abyss of Tartarus, a dungeon that lies deep within the cavernous underworld. Perseus cannot ignore his true calling when Hades, along with Zeus' godly son, Ares (Edgar Ramírez), switch loyalty and make a deal with Kronos to capture Zeus. The Titans' strength grows stronger as Zeus' remaining godly powers are siphoned, and hell is unleashed on earth. Enlisting the help of the warrior Queen Andromeda (Rosamund Pike), Poseidon's demigod son, Argenor (Toby Kebbell), and fallen god Hephaestus (Bill Nighy), Perseus bravely embarks on a treacherous quest into the underworld to rescue Zeus, overthrow the Titans and save mankind.
Luke B

June 10, 2012
I really wanted to love this film. After getting the remake out of the way, this had the chance to really explore new areas of this mythological world. Instead, they just decided to make a big monster mash with once again little character development. Perseus has lived a quiet life for 10 years, but must now travel to the underworld to save his father, otherwise Cronos and other Titans are going to destroy gods and man. He must meet people, collect specific items, travel through mazes, and of course battle monsters. The monsters are great. They really look fantastic, and all are consistent as opposed to the last film. The cyclops looked amazing, and made me crave more films about giants instantly. The films repetitive pacing soon wears thin, and I wished I had been playing a computer game with these graphics and creatures. The script does try hard in places, mostly with the relationship between Hades and Zeus. But when you hear the terrible attempts at comedy from Kebbell and Nighy, it's clear the film wanted a broader audience. May as well stick it on in the background and pay attention every time it gets loud.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

March 30, 2012
Clearly an improvement on the first film (if marginally so), Wrath of the Titans is both bigger and better than its inferior predecessor. Not so much in the writing (still very generic I'm afraid), but indubiately in the action. Considerably more epic, the visuals are far more exciting and the 3D quite sublime. As can be imagined, however, the story is where it's really lacking. Commonplace themes of betrayal and godly conflicts, are so trite and hackneyed by now, that it just enters one ear and exits the other. It's one thing if the dialogue had some actual depth, but when the supposed omni-intelligence of its gods can be boiled down to lines like "Let's have some fun!", we as paying audience members are having anything but. All the way through, it felt more like I was playing one of the God of War games, as opposed to watching a movie. The only thing missing was the controller to my PS3. Acting-wise, it's a very mixed bag as well. Sam Worthington, who plays Perseus, our main protagonist, is completely unengaging, phoning in his performance in a very one-note display. What saves the film from utter blandness - apart from the awesome special effects - is the top notch efforts of great character actors like Ralph Fiennes and Bill Nighy. As well as, of course, the constantly brilliant Liam Neeson, who turns in yet another tremendous performance as the Greek God Zeus. Another thing I absolutely loved was the awe-inspiring settings, which at many times felt reminiscent of those in the Lord of The Rings films.. So if you enjoyed Clash of the Titans, you're very likely to be entertained by this follow-up as well. Not a bad sword-and-sandal epic, but if you're looking for something with genuine soul, I'm sad to say you'll walk out of this quite empty-handed.
Carlos M

March 28, 2012
Even worse than the lame first movie, with the same tasteless hero, hedious dialogue, endless action scenes with no energy or tension, and a terrible script that throws in several mythological elements without any coherence. It is sad to see Ramirez totally wasted in this mess.
Ross C

April 12, 2012
Oh, dear God, what has become of cinema these days? Another movie with ADHD, chopping between unoriginal set pieces without any thought to fully develop the plot. It should build up some mystery and suspense, not throw us from one Dungeons 'n' Dragons monster fight to the next.