Box Office Guru Wrapup: Titans has a monster opening

Plus, Tyler Perry's latest does well, and Dragon falls to third.

This weekend, proving it could attract big bucks from a 2D action film converted to 3D, Warner Bros. conquered the global box office with its epic remake Clash of the Titans which pulled in over $100M this weekend from theaters across the world powered by higher-priced tickets for the upgraded format. Audiences in North America had plenty of extra dollars to spare as Tyler Perry's latest hit Why Did I Get Married Too? and the new Miley Cyrus drama The Last Song both connected with their respective fan bases enjoying solid openings. Add in a strong second frame for the 3D toon How To Train Your Dragon and the box office shattered records to become the largest Easter weekend in history as well as the biggest frame ever in the month of April.

3D ruled once again as Clash of the Titans flexed major muscles with an estimated $61.4M debut making it the second highest opening weekend ever in April. The PG-13 film's total counting Thursday night's pre-midnight showtimes that began at 8pm reached an impressive $64.1M. The Greek mythology pic averaged a superb $16,256 from 3,777 theaters including 1,800 that offered 3D screens with added surcharges as high as $5 per ticket. Titans was intended to be a regular 2D release but was converted to 3D which opened the door to higher revenue potential. But with 3D films How to Train Your Dragon and Alice in Wonderland already on the calendar, Warner Bros. had to fight hard to secure 3D screens and even used analog equipment in order to lock in playdates.

Reviews were mostly negative with many critics highlighting how little of the film actually makes entertaining use of the extra-dimensional format. But the studio's marketing materials sold Clash as an epic event film and the 3D element certainly boosted interest in the short-term. Word-of-mouth from moviegoers will be the key to the film's future as marketing can only open the film. Buzz will have to carry it the rest of the way. Still, Clash powered its way to the second best April bow ever trailing only Fast & Furious which debuted to $71M this weekend a year ago which was not the Easter frame.

Overseas, the Perseus adventure collected an estimated $44.2M from 15 territories bringing its global bow to a massive $108.3M. 3D screens represented 30% of the venues but 55% of the gross. Titans was number one in all markets with several major countries still to open in the coming days like France, Germany, and Russia.

Tyler Perry scored the second biggest opening of his career with his first sequel Why Did I Get Married Too? which bowed to an estimated $30.2M from 2,155 theaters for a sensational $13,993 average. The PG-13 followup on the filmmaker's number one hit from 2007 reunited the cast including Perry and Janet Jackson and shifted the setting from a cold winter cabin to a tropical Bahamas resort. Too's opening was 41% bigger than the $21.4M bow of the first Married which was an October release. Perry's latest hit even came close to the $34.3M debut of last fall's mostly white couples-having-troubles comedy Couples Retreat despite playing in 845 fewer theaters.

Like all of Perry's films, the new Married skewed toward an audience of mature black women. Studio research showed that 80% of the crowd was female, 75% was over 25, and 80% was African American. The director consistently brings his fan base out to theaters with a new offering twice a year and only last year's Madea Goes to Jail debuted bigger with $41M. His past eight films have averaged a domestic gross of $53M while being produced for budgets of under $16M. For the month of April, Too ranks as the seventh biggest opener ever and the largest for a film opening in less than 3,000 theaters. Next up for the movie mogul is directing a different writer's story with For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf featuring Jackson, Mariah Carey, and Whoopi Goldberg debuting over Martin Luther King weekend next January.

Following a not-so-ferocious opening, the DreamWorks 3D animated film How To Train Your Dragon took advantage of strong word-of-mouth to enjoy the smallest decline in the top ten dipping only 33% to an estimated $29.2M. All others fell by more than 40%. The PG-rated film boosted its total to an encouraging $92.3M after ten days in theaters and is well-positioned to fly much higher in the weeks ahead. Compared to last spring's 3D offering from DreamWorks Monsters vs. Aliens, Dragon opened 26% behind but after ten days the cume is now trailing by just 12%. And with virtually zero competition for young kids from April's new releases, the Paramount release will easily outgross other non-sequel 3D kidpics like A Christmas Carol, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and G-Force. The final domestic gross for the $165M production could reach $175-185M with overseas markets kicking in an even greater tally.

Miley Cyrus took an important step in her career proving she can pull in business even when not playing Hannah Montana. The teen queen's new romance The Last Song debuted to an estimated $16.2M over three days and $25.6M across its five-day Wednesday-to-Sunday debut period. Disney launched the film mid-week since much of the target audience of young girls was available thanks to spring school closings and the Good Friday holiday. Playing in 2,673 locations, the PG-rated pic averaged a solid $6,062 over three days and $9,574 over five days. Song, like most movies based on books by popular author Nicholas Sparks, was slammed by critics.

Disney's 3D smash Alice in Wonderland followed with an estimated $8.3M boosting the total to a stunning $309.8M. With two newer 3D films now in wide release, the Johnny Depp vehicle suffered the worst decline of its run tumbling 53%. But Alice climbed up to number 28 on the list of all-time domestic blockbusters surpassing the $309.4M of 2007's Disney-Depp project Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. A final tally of roughly $325M seems likely for Tim Burton's latest venture.

The R-rated comedy Hot Tub Time Machine held up reasonably well in its second weekend dropping 43% to an estimated $8M. MGM has grossed a lukewarm $27.8M in ten days and should finish with $40-45M. Sony's The Bounty Hunter dropped 48% to an estimated $6.2M raising the cume for the Jennifer Aniston-Gerard Butler action comedy to a solid $49M. The middle school comedy Diary of a Wimpy Kid took in an estimated $5.5M, off 45%, giving Fox $46.2M to date.

Paramount rounded out the top ten with a pair of films that grossed an estimated $1.46M a piece. The relationship comedy She's Out of My League stumbled 58% and has laughed up $28.7M thus far. Martin Scorsese's psychological thriller Shutter Island was down 54% in its seventh round and lifted the blockbuster sum to $123.4M.

The top ten films grossed an estimated $167.9M which was up a healthy 38% from last year's Easter frame when Hannah Montana The Movie opened in the top spot with $32.3M; and up a stellar 77% from 2008 when Horton Hears a Who remained at number one over the holiday with $24.6M.

Comments

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

I can't even think of anything interesting to say about this last weekend's box office:

"Wow, the huge action spectacle with great effects and lousy reviews was number ONE!"

"Crazy- the meticulously-crafted CG children's movie with no competition had staying power!"

"Holy Crap! The Tyler Perry movie hit its core demographic and cleaned up again!"

I think the weirdest thing about this weekend is what was NOT talked about-
What is this, the first weekend of 2010 where there is NO reference to Avatar? Now *THAT* is a curious phenomenon!

Apr 4 - 02:25 PM

Jon C.

Jon Cox

face it, everything in the last 3 months has been so uninteresting
I cant believe it
its too early in the year for this crap
'Bounty Hunter', 'She's Out of My League', 'Last Song', 'Clash of the Titans' and another Tyler Perry movie
geez.....

I wish these writers would honestly try to make something entertaining
I am ready to sue Hollywood and beg them to start making real movies!

Apr 4 - 04:09 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Saw Clash. Not that bad, but not that good either. Five minutes walking out of the theater I couldn't tell you one memorable thing about it. I do remember laughing at it with my friends a lot.

Something must be said of Sam Worthington, though. If he doesn't get his act together (his act being NOT giving a wooden performance or letting his Aussie accent slip through every other scene), then he will rightfully whither away into the realm of the "Has-Beens".

Apr 4 - 04:16 PM

Rhett Bratner

Art Jones

Sam Worthington has been in $900 million worth of movies within a year (that's what they cost, not what they made).

If the guy could act, he would have done it by now -unless he 's waiting for a film with a billion dollar budget before he changes his facial expression.

With Worthington, what you see is what you get. A short, ordinary-looking guy without an ounce of charisma , let alone talent. I was hoping 'Clash' would tank so MAYBE they would stop casting him.

But we are in the era of the risk-free action 'star' - nobody goes to see the films because of him, and if it flops, there's always someone else to blame.

Thanks a lot, Cameron, for sticking us with this bore.

Apr 4 - 04:39 PM

planetawesome

Seth Green

Was it Cameron or McG?

Apr 5 - 12:03 PM

Rhett Bratner

Art Jones

It was Cameron. McG was so eager to please Cameron, that he sought his advice for casting the role of Marcus, and Cameron, who had probably finished filming at that time recommended Worthington. McG jumped on it and cast Worthington before he ever had a film released in the U. S., and I think that's what happened with Clash also.

All of the roles he's landed are a result of having been cast (not necessarily seen) in Avatar, so it will be interesting to see how long he can continue to sleepwalk through big budget tent pole films before the offers stop coming.

Apr 5 - 02:43 PM

BrianMN

Brian Nallick

He's 6'2.
If that's short then.....what the heck would I look like on the big screen?
I'm only 5'8 LOLLLLL.
Maybe if they remake Lord of the Rings, I can play Gimley. :)

Apr 5 - 12:40 PM

Rhett Bratner

Art Jones

Sam Worthington is only 5' 8", this is well-documented. If you don't believe me, search for Terminator Salvation premiere pictures, where he's standing next to Bale, who is quite a bit taller than him. Bale is 6 feet even, also well-documented. Worthington is also wearing some kind of boot, so he may be wearing lifts in these pictures.

Apr 5 - 02:36 PM

BrianMN

Brian Nallick

Hmmmm...my apologies.
I googled "How tall is Sam Worthington" and 6'2 came up.
He's my height huh?
Cool, I like him again.
Short people rule.
Don't believe me? Ask Napoleon.
Or, if you can get Tom Cruise off Oprah's couch for five seconds, ask him. :)

Apr 5 - 05:50 PM

Dictioninrepose555

Jon Bosley

I don't think that's going to happen. I know once upon a time, Nicolas Cage proved himself a formidable actor but Jesus, ever since, and much to my chagrin, he has starred in quite a few of the worst films I think have ever been conceived (the Wicker Man was pretty freaking hilarious though). The dude is here to stay, it's a Hollywood conspiracy!

That said, the visuals carried Avatar, not the performances. I haven't and will not see Clash of the Titans, though I can detect from the commercials and all that I have already heard that Worthington doesn't contribute much to the film. However, I do think he put in a good performance in the otherwise lackluster Terminator Salvation. There's hope, but I'm not holding out for much; I'd rather see Cillian Murphy elevated in the public eye.

Apr 4 - 09:56 PM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

That means that it was bad.

Apr 5 - 02:26 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Once again, the masses prove their stupidness.
By all rights and purposes, Titans should not have even charted, instead, it made $60M?!
For real, this kind of mass-degradation of the general populace will eventually lead to the country's demise. It's happened before and it will happen here. Remember: it's these people who vote at elections.

Apr 4 - 04:21 PM

djducky

chris bevington

HAHA you used the word "stupidness."

Apr 5 - 12:03 AM

Floor Man

Floor Man

Apr 5 - 10:11 AM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

I might see Clash this week at a matinee. Depends if I have the time or not. I saw, but didn't care for, the original. So it's not like I'll be disappointed by the adaptation.

Saw How to Train Your Dragon this week. Was pretty entertaining, though not as much as I thought it would be. But I'm glad to see it doing well.

Also watched Hot Tub Time Machine. Pretty funny though not as much as The Hangover. It got a little too silly at times but was still a decent movie.

Apr 4 - 04:38 PM

Rhett Bratner

Art Jones

Thanks a lot, Cameron, for sticking us with this bore.

Apr 4 - 04:39 PM

planetawesome

Seth Green

Was it Cameron or McG?

Apr 5 - 12:03 PM

Rhett Bratner

Art Jones

Apr 5 - 02:43 PM

BrianMN

Brian Nallick

He's 6'2.
If that's short then.....what the heck would I look like on the big screen?
I'm only 5'8 LOLLLLL.
Maybe if they remake Lord of the Rings, I can play Gimley. :)

Apr 5 - 12:40 PM

Rhett Bratner

Art Jones

Apr 5 - 02:36 PM

BrianMN

Brian Nallick

Hmmmm...my apologies.
I googled "How tall is Sam Worthington" and 6'2 came up.
He's my height huh?
Cool, I like him again.
Short people rule.
Don't believe me? Ask Napoleon.
Or, if you can get Tom Cruise off Oprah's couch for five seconds, ask him. :)

Apr 5 - 05:50 PM

A M.

A Movie

BRUTAL movie.
This script must have come from a box-set entitled "movie script writing for dummies".
Anti-climactic and underwhelming.

Apr 4 - 04:47 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Well no major surpises. No mention of Avatar means that it's days at the theater are pratically over and I think it will be coming to DVD and Blu-ray soon.

I would have expected Clash to do worse considering the negative reviews it was getting but I guess people really like seeing 3D. It is becoming very apparent that 3D is becoming big again and that the price hikes for 3D movies are justified according to the movie theaters. I mean if people are willing to pay, why not milk it for all its's worth?

Perry's movie again shows that it is good at drawing out its audience. I knew that audience was African American but didn't know that it skewed heavily towards older women.

For everyone complaining about Hollywood putting out trash movies, then you have to know that if people keep on paying, Hollywood will keep on making bad movies. Unlike say the video game industry, professional critics generally have little effect for wide release movies because the the average movie goer doesn't care for nuances such as good acting or such. Its sad but true.

Apr 4 - 05:06 PM

LakersFan-BostonSucks

Matt St. John

Yeah, they already announced Avatar coming to DVD/Blu-Ray in a few weeks dude so you're pretty good at predicting things that've already been announced.

Apr 5 - 01:39 AM

Thelastholdout

Douglas Wake

How to Train Your Dragon deserves to crush every movie it can, box office wise. I saw it and loved it. It was intelligent, sincere, and a labor of love visually. The only thing that got on my nerves sometimes was Hiccup's voice and delivery of his lines. Too dragged out and bored sounding sometimes. But he was still a likeable character, and a ballsy last consequence of his heroism cinched it for me.

Now if they can do this movie, why the hell can't we have Dragonriders of Pern?

Apr 4 - 05:28 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Simple, dragon movies NEVER do well at the Box Office. How to Train Your Dragon holds the record of being the highest grossing movie about dragons. The previous record holder was Eragon and that movie did so terrible at the box office that it never got it sequels, well that and because it sucked.

Lets just hope Dragon does well at the box office, it's a great movie. Remember, these are studio estimates, Dragon might be number 2 at the box office since it so close to Tyler Perry's movie.

Apr 4 - 05:49 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Wow Eragon, Really? I always thought in terms of financial return anyways Dragonheart would have been right up there, especially since it only cost less than $20 million to make but made more than $100 million at the B.O.

Fully agree that How to train your Dragon deserves to go on to do very well in the long run

Apr 4 - 06:14 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Dragonheart made around the $50 millions in the US, while Eragon was at $76 million.

Sure with inflation, Dragonheart will be past $100 million.

Apr 4 - 08:38 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

I am the laaaaaaasht one!

Apr 5 - 10:19 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Apr 4 - 05:49 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Apr 4 - 06:14 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Sure with inflation, Dragonheart will be past $100 million.

Apr 4 - 08:38 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

I am the laaaaaaasht one!

Apr 5 - 10:19 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I saw Clash, did not think it was anywhere near as bad as the critics made it out to be; don't get me wrong, it was not exactly good, but not horrible either, I guess decent is the right word. Will admit that the 3D was ludicrously dumb, I can think of about two scenes where I even noticed it. And I do not understand the hate for Worthington, I think he is one of the few good young action heroes working today; he has that good "everyman put into an extraordinary situation" vibe about him that really makes him believeable in the big budget flicks.

And I have no clue how Perry's newest film made so much money, I honestly have not seen a single TV spot, trailer, or article that even acknowledged the movie existed, I did not even know it was coming out this weekend.

Apr 4 - 06:05 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Tyler Perry's got a fan page of black ladies on Facebook he notifies the week before his film comes out.

Apr 4 - 07:09 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Apr 4 - 06:14 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Sure with inflation, Dragonheart will be past $100 million.

Apr 4 - 08:38 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

I am the laaaaaaasht one!

Apr 5 - 10:19 AM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Apr 4 - 07:09 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

What is with all the Clash of the Titans hate? Sure it looks stupid, sure Sam Worthington isn't that great of an actor, sure the 3D is a gimmick to make more money but for crying out loud why is this film so universally loathed? Its a stupid summer action movie. They come out every summer. They aren't meant to be intelligent they're meant to be entertaining for the two hours you're in the theater. Once its done in theaters it'll be forgotten in the archives of goofy summer blockbusters. If you're really so offended by its lack of quality why don't you go see Dragons again? Then just stay home until Iron Man 2 comes out.

Apr 4 - 07:16 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Release the kraken, am I right?

Apr 4 - 08:42 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

What you did there. I see it.

Apr 4 - 10:31 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Saw Clash and very much enjoyed it. Come on people, it's a popcorn picture!! And on that level it's entertaining and a very good movie. Plus the effects were cool and refined. And I thought it was awell-acted by the cast. Liam Neeson did good work as did Ralph Fiennes , and yes Sam Worthington, who is a good actor with plenty of room to improve. So good movie. Noting much this upcoming week so I will play catchup with a couple I missed and then bring on Kick-Ass!!!

Apr 4 - 07:33 PM

Rhett Bratner

Art Jones

Nobody is criticizing it as anything but a stupid popcorn movie. But even as that, Clash is an epic FAIL.

Apr 4 - 08:34 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Saw Dragon today. Awesome film.

Apr 4 - 08:17 PM

Rhett Bratner

Art Jones

Apr 4 - 08:34 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Sure with inflation, Dragonheart will be past $100 million.

Apr 4 - 08:38 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

I am the laaaaaaasht one!

Apr 5 - 10:19 AM

inactive user

Jared King

Release the kraken, am I right?

Apr 4 - 08:42 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

What you did there. I see it.

Apr 4 - 10:31 PM

aaron s.

aaron shelton

Saw Clash too. Like others have said, it wasn't terrible (watched in 2D), but my god they could have done more with it. Plus, Sam Worthington doesn't scream Demigod.

Nothing else til Kick-Ass. Might go see How to train a Dragon in 3D on matinee night.

Apr 4 - 09:56 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office