Clear and Present Danger Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ April 8, 2011
When I was in my teens, I thoroughly enjoyed Tom Clancy. Clancy has always bgeen a master of Techno Thriller, aside from his last years before retiring. Clear and Present Danger is one incredible story about America's covert and Illegal war against Columbian drug Lords smuggling their product in the States. Clear and Present Danger is a top notch action Thriller with a terrific cast of actors. The film is a non stop action film that delivers awesome thrills. Harrison plays Jack Ryan yet again (he first played the role in Patriot Games, another terrific action film) CAPD is one well executed film thats just as exciting as reading Tom Clancy's work. Phillip Noyce who also directed Patriot Games and directed the Thriller Horror film Dead Calm returns to the director's chair, and cooks up another winner. Clear And Present Danger is an electrifying film that is never boring. Harrison Ford is the perfect actor to play Jack Ryan. As with Patriot Games, he delivers something terrific on screen. Though a good film, I thought that Clear And Present Danger was a step down from Noyce's previous Clancy adaptation, Patriot Games. Patriot Games is along with The Hunt For Red October the best adaptation of a Clancy work. But Clear And Present Danger is still good entertainment and has some solid acting, but I thought the subject matter in Patriot Games was a lot more Thrilling than in this film. Clear And Present Danger is a good, solid follow up with good action, thrills and acting. But to those who enjoyed Patriot Games better, like I did, then of course you'll find this a bit less electrifying as Patriot Games. Still this is a must see for Tom Clancy fans. A good, entertaining film nonetheless.
August 7, 2010
This sounded really really good however I just found it confusing, way too fast moving and about a zillion characters. I haven't watched the first one however I believe sequels should be understandable whether you've seen the first one or not. I was just left confused and not caring for the characters.
September 11, 2006
An explosive edge of your seat action-packed thriller. A smart, frequently exciting and electrifying film that loaded with heart-pounding action and riveting suspense. Harrison Ford and Willem Dafoe are at their best. Ford oce again brings this amazing role to furious life. Dafoe is compelling and fantastic. The best Tom Clancy adaptation since The Hunt For Red October.
November 19, 2009
I think this was even a step up from Patriot Games, increasing the narrative and scope. It has a great performance from Harrison Ford and Willem Dafoe was a perfect addition. For political thrillers, it is one of the best. It has a very entertaining, yet intelligent feel to it that many action movies lack.
September 25, 2009
Not a bad sequel, just as good as the first!
cosmo313
July 10, 2009
Fairly decent, and pretty entertaining. Not without flaws though. I enjoyed both the political stuff and the action stuff, but things seem very muddled, and the script could have been polished up more. Also, every now and then thigns would drag and get just a bit boring. I think they should have just kept this an R instead of appealing it to PG-13, but that's just me. All in all, a decent film.
December 5, 2006
The President: So go down there, establish it.
Jack Ryan: Go down where?
The President: Colombia.
Jack Ryan: Who, me?

After watching the two previous Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan films, which had problems in maintaining my interest in watching them, this movie finally satisfied me in many areas. Good cast, good story, and entertaining.

Harrison Ford returns as Jack Ryan, working as an analyst until he is called in by his boss, once again played by James Earl Jones, to work on a case involving the Colombian drug cartel.

While Ryan knows parts of what is going on, we know everything, a covert war is being waged against Colombian drug lords by some high ranking members of the CIA. These members have enlisted a secret black-ops agent, played by Willem Dafoe to head up a team working to take out various drug lords. An adviser of one of the drug lords, played by Joaquim de Almeida, is also heavily involved in the whole situation.

Jack Ryan is meanwhile working to try an understand the whole situation, operating as deputy director of the CIA after his boss has taken ill. Ryan is working under the President, but has to face the hard truths of sticking to his ethics.

What makes this a better movie than the previous Jack Ryan flick, Patriot Games, is its story. In Patriot Games, the film focused on one thing, revenge. Because of that, the story stretched out on plot for two hours and didn't really get anything out of it besides some confident action scenes. In this film, the story has numerous threads and characters to follow and it all works well. The film also has several well done action scenes, in particular, one involving an SUV shootout in an ally.

The cast of this movie is very welcome as well. Ford seems much more in place this time around as the Jack Ryan character. Willem Dafoe is equally good as the sort of anti-Ryan character, both standing for the same thing, but would accomplish goals differently. The rest of the cast is composed of many character actors who give the film more gravity.

There are occasional moments where action movie/tough guy dialog comes in, but it certainly makes things more enjoyable in terms of never keeping the film too serious.

All around, a smartly made political thriller/action film.

Jack Ryan: I didn't sign up for this. This is someone's bullshit political agenda. Who authorized this? Cutter?
Ritter: Cutter couldn't tie his own shoes without permission.
Jack Ryan: If I go down you're coming with me.
Ritter: Wrong again. I have an *autographed get-out-of-jail-free card*!
Chiefilms
½ March 2, 2008
Ford in his classic formula. Saying a bunch of eastwood-esque lines to get the bad guy.
deano
½ November 12, 2006
Wow! Harrison Ford is perfect as intrepid CIA agent Jack Ryan in this thriller movie who risks his career and life for the only cause he still believes in - the truth.
thmtsang
July 14, 2007
Excellent thriller.
½ June 26, 2007
A cool thriller based on a Tom Clancy book. Has a good mix of action in the jungle and tension back in Washington.
November 9, 2006
Well done movie.
kpn666
½ June 29, 2006
Tom Clancy thrillers rock! Willem Dafoe is the star performer in this one.
February 15, 2013
A smart and compelling dramatic thriller, Clear and Present Danger delivers an exciting adventure based on a bestselling Tom Clancy novel. When Jack Ryan is appointed Deputy Director of the CIA, he's unwittingly used by the President to launch a covert military operation against the Colombian drug cartels. Harrison Ford reprises his role as Ryan, and is joined by Willem Dafoe and Benjamin Bratt. Especially well-written, the films does a good job at developing the story and at drawing the audience into the film. The directing is also quite effective; keeping the film intense and dramatic. Clear and Present Danger is an impressive and entertaining action film that's well-crafted.
March 14, 2015
Not great, but at least it's got enough thrilling moments (The attack on the motorcade, the missile launch, etc.) to make the long running time worth it.
August 2, 2007
An American Classic! Better than the novels, And that's a huge compliment!
Sam E.
½ September 11, 2011
Pretty good movie. A bit too long but the latter part of the film is full of action so it's okay.
xxdebxx
½ December 7, 2009
Harrison Ford is the best. He has made a career out of playing characters (Witness, Presumed Innocent, The Fugitive, Patriot Games) who has personal values of right and wrong and makes those movies that he stars in unique and wonderful. Willem Dafoe does a terrific job of playing Joe Clark and is his cohort in the drug war as they find themselves fighting together against the common enemy.
A well-made and exciting movie with some true edge-of-your seat moments!
DrStrangeblog
½ October 14, 2010
Long but not overlong, complex characters, tense situations on a powderkeg of a predicament = a thinking man's thriller.
½ August 3, 2010
Great first half, second half not so much.