Clerks II Reviews

August 1, 2006
Tries to break new frontiers when it comes to bad taste and humor below the belt and actually manages that, for good or for worse. Thankfully the second half shows some heart under all the piss and sperm jokes and the ending is quite sweet. Like in the modern classic predecessor the best parts are the discussions of pop culture although they do not quite feel as original here, sometimes even a bit forced. Still, overall enjoyable if you're no prude.
February 27, 2013
Clerks II may not be such a cult-like hit as its predecessor but it does heighten up the amount of obscenity, vulgarity and overall raunchiness. The film's obscure humor is over-the-top and story provides insight and somewhat sentiment to make this a more-than-decent sequel. 4/5
February 10, 2012
Dispite being silly, Clerks 2 it's a great chance to see these unforgettable characters again and, oddly, finally growing up.
½ January 12, 2007
People like to come down hard on this as being nothing more than fraudulent and unnecessary, and I don't think that's very fair. It's not the same movie done over again. If it had been, then I would say yes, but no. They do manage to pull off something different, and it isn't just simply a bunch of talking heads like it was the first time around (even though I enjoy that film). Clerks II manages to surpass its predecessor in nearly every way. Not only is it a much better made film, it's also more emotionally-involving and relatable, even more so than the first time around. My only real problem is that Kevin Smith's wife has a central role in the movie. Everybody comes off very well, except for her, and she's just a poor actress who gets to be in front of the camera because her husband is directing it, ala Rob Zombie and Sheri Moon Zombie. It's not vital, but it does stand out, as does her atrociously-delivered dialogue. Other than that, this is a fantastic sequel.
½ November 20, 2011
Smith's last great film (apparently) exceeded my expectations all around. Though not nearly as smart or witty as the original, it makes up for that with crude but hilarious dialogue and some great performances. The only problem is that like many films in the comedy drama, the hilarity wears off by the last 20 to 30 minutes.
October 27, 2011
I died with laughter when I first saw this film. It might not be funny to some, but this is definitely my type of raunchy humor.
June 1, 2011
More than often feels like a reiteration of the first film with a resolved Hollywood ending. Not that such a statement makes this a bad thing. Everything we loved about the first film is there, Smith's brand of humor, his ability to find insight while delivering the raw vulgarities of our contemporary culture, a rag-tag cast of "failures"...

It's not so much that this was a bad movie, but it diminishes the merits of the first. The fact that this was presented in color as opposed to B&W almost works as an allegory for it's "updated" qualities. Not only is this sequel more accessible in style/character but sacrifices the subtleties of the first that gave it its reverence.

I'm not sure what else Smith could have done to "sequelize" Clerks without presenting a completely new cast. (Which we would hate even more) In the end, considering it's constraints, Clerks 2 is a working, great movie and worthy of the franchise name.
May 22, 2011
Clerks II is one of the craziest and most memorable comedies in recent memory. The film follows events of the first film, and really this is a top notch sequel. I thought it equaled the hilarity of the first, and is in the same league as the original. Clerks II is a very funny film that has a great cast, good dialogue and even more slapstick than the first. Clerk II is pure fun from start to finish, and Kevin Smith has made quite the follow up to his directorial debut. Though a bit lacking compared to the first, Clerks II has many memorable scenes and almost non stop quotable lines. The humour is pure Kevin Smith, and he really delivers something terrific. if you're familiar with his, you know what you're in for. Randall and Dante are working yet another dead end job after the quick stop burns down. Thus follows more crazy adventures and more laughs. Clerks II is the type of film you watch with friends to have a good time. The characters in the film are just crazy, dimwitted and loveable. Kevin Smith has made a fine follow up to his debut and really Clerks II succeeds just as much as the original in providing good laughs. Underneath it's veneer of vularities is a comedy with heart, a film that makes you feel happy, amused and guaranteeing you a good time (if you love these types of films) Theres terrific, well written comedy bits here and Clerks II is one well made comedy that will please the diehard Kevin Smith fan.
March 13, 2011
Its one of the only films I have watched that summed up the era from 2000-2005 with precision, so I'll give it an A+. I would also recommend it for someone to watch, so thats a big fat tick in my books. But I have to agree with a lot of people that "it just could have been better". I think some of the jokes sort of frizzled out and could of have increased timing. Never the less.
½ October 25, 2006
Kevin Smith continues his run of cinematic disappointments with a needlessly desperate sequel to the indie classic that made his name.
Clerks II seems to be an attempt to bolt his immature profanity-heavy early work on his 'respectable' familial comdy Jersey Girl. The result is so uneven it's ridiculous. Not only this, but Smith seems keen on upending nearly every decent trait from the original: the social commentary barely exists, and when it does occur, it's lazy (attacking the fast-food industry is the definition of easy target); Randall is still acerbic, but now pretty annoying; Jay and Silent Bob are even more peripheral; the 'nasty sex scene' is far less funny when explicit instead of alluded to.
Some of it is worth salvaging, such as Randall's 'porch monkey' diatribe, and Rosario Dawson's 110% performance as Dante's boss-and-bit-on-the-side. These factors do at least keep the momentum going when the horse looks seriously flagging, such as in a daft musical number, highly Hollywood montage and modern indie-style 'character needs quiet escape' bit. Worth wtaching, but particularly uneven and barely related to the original in concept or execution.
½ July 13, 2010
Much better than the original, but not as original in it's Grunge and 90's element as the original. Still, very funny and worth the watch.
½ February 4, 2010
I rate it the same as the first, because the plot is worse, but the humor is more laughable, and the characters are more fun!
January 3, 2010
It's about as good a sequel as anyone could have expected. It still has all the great humor and dialogue, updated to meet today's standards. It loses some of it's style with the way it is shot, it's not that black and white indie movie anymore. I loved seeing the characters back though and that was well worth the wait.
½ February 5, 2007
Ah, the View Askewniverse. Long have I enjoyed the exploits and antics of the various characters inhabiting the world. Chasing Amy remains my favourite chapter; Clerks was a wonderful beginning; Dogma is one of the smarter films I've ever seen; Mallrats is a delight to my comic book predilections; and Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back, while being the weak link (obviously your mileage may vary, to quote the trope), has MARK HAMILL! And a strong sense of callbacks and continuity.
So, where does that leave Clerks 2? Well, Clerks 2 might just be one of those uncommon sequels that may just surpass the original in terms of ideas and execution.

Whether or not you like Clerks or Clerks 2 better depends on where you stand with one of the major themes from each movie. The first movie had a sense of "life sucks, it's a series of downer moments like The Empire Strikes Back" (brought up in the film itself. Kevin Smith looooves referencing Star Wars. If you think Clerks 2 will be free of it, think again. More on that later).
It brought upon a sense of loathing about your standing in society. That the work you do isn't important, you're just a guy doing something a monkey could do with the proper training (speaking as someone in a job I wouldn't call high profile, I would be better off training a monkey or a ficus plant to do my job when I eventually move on to greener pastures. Most of the people I come across on both sides of the counter can't comprehend simple things even with big honkin' signs and COLOUR CODING! But I digress).
Although it might be considered a slight spoiler, this is how I see one of the major themes of Clerks 2: change is not always a good thing. Staying low-key does not mean you cannot adapt or suck at living, it may just mean you've found your niche. It's all about what you know and what makes you happy. Sounds corny and seedy but yes indeedy, give me the simple life.

Anyway, at this point, I should probably get into the plot: our lovable un-dynamic cynical duo return but after a fire destroys their previous locations of employment, they've had to take a job at the local fast food place, Mooby's. Dante (Brian O'Halloran, who I wish was a little more known. Time to go all Jackie Earle Haley/Jeffrey Dean Morgan with him) is wanting more out of life and has achieved that to a degree with a fiancee, Emma (Jennifer Schwalbach Smith, Kevin's wife and perhaps one of the more supportive spouses in the entertainment industry) and a new start with a job being provided by her father. Before he can get there though, he has to go through one last day at Mooby's, which means one last day of keeping Randal (Jeff Anderson, and at this point I'd like to say Randal might be one of my absolute favourite fictional characters in the history of film. And as of posting, I've seen over 800 movies) in check. Randal's just as pissed and bitter as ever, all that's changed is he's got a new location to bitch in and a new whipping boy to make his bitch.
Speaking of, rounding out the cast as the new additions are Elias (Trevor Fehrman, who appears to have no new work lined up at the moment. Pity, I'd like to see his range), a nerdy, religious young man obsessed with the Transformers franchise; and Becky (Rosario Dawson. And I just love her in this role. Okay, she's one of my favourite actresses but of the films I've seen her in, this is by far her best work. And the down-to-earth look really works here), their manager and Dante's confidant. The addition of Becky is one of the highest points for the movie. She has as much common sense as Dante and shares a lot of his views but she can just as easily slide into the darker side of sexual nature, much like Randal. She's essentially the best of both worlds in one person and a strong female presence. She's neither promiscuous nor prudish.
And for fans of Jay and Silent Bob, fear not; Jason Mewes plays Jay as a dealer who found religion (bet ya didn't see that coming) and Kevin comes in front of the camera once again for Jay's smarter counterpart.

While a large part of the story and the characters resonate with me, there are a couple of negatives with the film. One is the music selection. Now, I don't object to the shout-out to The Silence Of The Lambs with Goodbye Horses by Q Lazzarus and Garvey being used but how many times do we need to hear B.J Thomas' Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head in films? Spider-Man 2 uses it, I still haven't determined how effective it was. Forrest Gump has it on the soundtrack, it was heard in The Simpsons once (Duffless was the episode. Or as most people know it, the one where Homer has no deer for a month. Wait, did I say beer or deer? Deer... or the joke about alcohol fueled cars) and quite frankly, let's put an end to it. The biggest offender is ABC by the Jacksons. It becomes a whole big musical number with Jay and Silent Bob getting in on the act and random bystanders breaking into dance. Granted, the whole thing is to set up a big twist and also serves for Becky to teach Dante how to dance for his wedding but come on. Was anything else even considered? What about The Contours Do You Love Me? Not only is the song about a man who is trying to win the love of his life back by showing her he can dance now, it has actual relevance to the story! Well, in a way. Again, I'll keep my mouth shut about the ending. Yeah, I know it's a comedy but considering how Clerks ended (and the original ending planned. Oh Lordy, I am so glad he didn't use that one. Executive meddling saves the day for once!) this may just hit you in the face like a pack of cigarettes (cancer merchant!)
Now, with all that in mind, some songs get the big thumbs up from me. 1979 from The Smashing Pumpkins (which curiously did not make the soundtrack for the film) and Everywhere by Alanis Morissette (which is also a nice reference to a previous film) to be precise. Still, maybe I just don't want to hear ABC after already having heard it in Billy Madison and not really being a fan of the song.

Anyway, the really big complaint: the donkey show itself. Yeah, for anyone who's seen the movie or knows Smith's career, this would be the point where you would say "Well, you clearly don't know the man by now" or "PRUDE!" and then throw something at me, possibly a holy bartender (anybody keeping up with the references out there?) but in my defense, besides the shit demon from Dogma, he's never been one for visual gross out humor. Usually, it's just the implication and it's left for our imagination (unless it's mine, where I just phase out until the next joke comes along. Now you know why I consider Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back the weak link) but here, we're treated to a donkey show (don't give me none of that "inter-species erotica" bull. The animal can't consent, therefore it's sick and evil. It's bestiality, pure and simple. There are some sick, sick bastards out there). So, the third act involves a donkey show. I saw this film at the cinema with a friend of mine, I pretty much just tuned it out until I saw Becky and kept phasing out non Becky/Dante parts. On DVD, I just skip through those moments.

But if the film makes up for it in anything, it's with the pop culture references. Transformers, The Godfather and one of my favourite moments involves a debate about the merits of the Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings franchises (and it has Marshall from Alias in it!) Randal's line is awesome "There's only one Return all right and it ain't Of The King, it's Of The Jedi" and I should note his views are pretty much Kevin's views on the franchise, especially the "three movies about walking" joke. The worst Star Wars gets is a reference to Hayden Christensen's acting but it's clearly Randal's side that it's slanted towards. For the record, I like both franchises but if I had been there, I'd have just said "The Back To The Future trilogy kicks both their asses."

To reiterate what I said before about themes, Clerks 2 is ultimately about finding what you want in life and sticking to it, even if it's not all big and flashy. Staying put, free of change, does not mean you're not getting older or you're refusing to get older. If anything, stability is a sign of maturity because it shows you're ready to commit. Whether it be in marriage, a job, a hobby, whatever. Sure, change is nice if you can plan ahead enough but don't just get up and change things just because society says you shouldn't become stagnant. Change when it becomes necessary, don't make it necessary to change.

But anyway, we all get different things from each film. Clerks 2 is extremely influential to me. Kevin, here's one fan hoping it's not too long before you journey back to the View Askewniverse.
May 17, 2008
Proof that after all the mainstream bullshit Kevin Smith has crafted as of late, Silent Bob still knows how to put together a classic when he wants to. Is it better than the original? Not as good? Everybody's got their views on it, but it was wildly entertaining nonetheless, in a juvenile way. Plus, having the ultra-hot Rosario Dawson in it helps quite a bit as well as Jason Mewes, who will do pretty much anything you ask him to onscreen.
½ August 13, 2009
"With no power comes no responsibility."

A calamity at Dante and Randall's shops sends them looking for new horizons - but they ultimately settle at Mooby's, a fictional Disney-McDonald's-style fast-food empire.

Kevin Smith's follow up to his own superb low-budget comedy is a true delight and one of the most satisfying sequels of recent times. Brian O' Halloran and Jeff Anderson are back as Dante and Randal, only this time they've moved on from the convenience store scene and into the fast food world. However, their friendship is at risk, what with Dante all set to leave town and get married to a woman whom he's not even sure he really loves. In fact, maybe he's better off getting together with his boss and close friend Becky (Rosario Dawson)?Clerks II pulls off the feat of being hilariously rude and genuinely sweet in equal measures; Dawson in particular makes for a lovely, refreshing addition to the cast. Jason Mewes and Smith return as slackers Jay and Silent Bob; the former enjoys a hilarious moment parodying a certain scene from The Silence of the Lambs. The profane script is first-rate, often extremely filthy and very, very funny, while an agreeable element of sentiment makes this a particularly upbeat and spirited experience too.
March 21, 2009
.......freakin Rosario Dawson man.... she looks like a horse.
October 28, 2007
Not nearly as good as the first but still far better then most other films.
September 29, 2008
Clerks II:**** Clerks II is a strong and poignant retelling of the story of when two slackers grow into adulthood. In many ways this is writer/director Kevin Smith's most adult film in that we see four characters that we've grown up with over the past 12 years finally grow themselves. It opens on the final day of work for Dante who is finally getting up and out of Jersey with his fiancÚ, leaving Randal figuratively alone at Mooby's. Randal hasn't changed much over the past years, and in many cases neither has Dante. Randal still wrestles with the customers in pitiful pop culture debates, among them whether the LOTR trilogy is better than the Star Wars trilogy, but this time around he has a new foil in a 19 year old gamer-geek named Elias. The banter between these two is really funny especially when Randal tells him what he has planned for Dante's departure gift (but you'll have to see the flick to find out what that is because it is too gross for me even to write). After a short stint in re-hab Jay and Silent Bob have found solace in the Lord but this doesn't stop them from the dispensing with the drugs. Its odd to find that in the past decade it is Jay and Silent Bob that have changed the most, true they still are up to their perverse antics such as ass rubbing on the window and the disturbing recreation of "The Silence of the Lambs" dance but they have grown more sensitive to other people's emotions and needs, especially Jay. I haven't mentioned Rosario Dawson, who gives a very charming performance as the clerks' boss. She brings a lot of presence to a slightly underdeveloped character. But it is Jeff Anderson, Randal, that deserves the full attention this time around. He gives an award worthy performance and delivers it with an astonishing amount of sympathy. He's loosing his best friend which, though he'd never show it, absolutely devastates him. The last 20 minutes are really tear jerking, I know I was in tears and couldn't stop the flow. This film sort of keeps to the feel Smith created with Chasing Amy and Jersey Girl in that they lay the drama on thick and it almost works better than the comedy, an oddity for Smith proving he too has grown as a writer. It isn't all drama though you do get great comedic scenes such as, my favorite, the "porch monkey" scene. I nearly had laughing tears during it. This is probably Smith's best looking film elevating it to the quality one would get whilst watching a really good episode of television. The camera even moves! And a neat little digital effect is shown at the beginning where the clerks' world seamlessly transforms from black and white to color, I was shocked because I didn't even realize it was happening. This is one of Smith's best films and one of the year's best. I give it a high recommendation but I ask that you stick with it a little while because it moves at a slower pace then any of the other Jersey Chronicles, it may take a bit of getting used to for some, but this is a film that can not be missed.
August 13, 2008