The Client Reviews

cosmo313
July 2, 2012
I've been a fan of this ever since I was a kid, and back then, I was really in love with it, even though some of it went over my head, and I might have been a little too young to appreciate some of it. But, I've since read the book and watched it a few more times, and yeah, I think it holds up pretty nicely.

The plot follows that of a troubled young kid named Mark who, just before witnessing the suicide of a mob lawyer, became privy to some vital information. His brother is comatose due to also witnessing the death, and not only that, but Mark now finds himself hunted by both the mob who want to kill him and a determined federal attorney who wants to make him talk, possibly by force if needed. To help himself out, he gets representation from a recovering alkie lawyer, and their teaming up leads to healing and help for both of them.

Like I said, I saw this as a kid, so nostalgia plays a big role here for me. As a kid, I was initially not allowed to see this, becaue my parents thought it was a pretty hard PG-13, but eventually they lightened up, and it became a film we all would watch together once in a while. Since the source material is John Grisham, you know it's gonna be a pretty breezy and thrilling ride, but not without heart and some depth.

The cast populating this thing is quite remarkable. Brad Renfro made his debut here as Mark, and it was a great start to an unfortunately short career. Being somewhat unprofessional allowed his natural charisma and confidence to shine through, and he embodies Mark's mix of street-wise toughness and vulnerability with confidence and ease. To back him up, we gets the likes of Tommy Lee Jones, Susan Sarandon, Mary-Louise Parker, Anthony LaPaglia, Anthony Edwards, Ossie Davis, J.T. Walsh. And, they all deliver some good work.

This is one of the stronger efforts from Schumacher, and it came out before he began to get swept up in bloated super mainstream crap that, while sometimes entertaining, really doesn't matter.
sanjurosamurai
January 25, 2007
pretty good court room drama
June 8, 2010
Actually one of the only John Grisham novels that I've liked and this was definitely the best movie adaption. There's some great performances from essentially everyone and the story seemed to make more sense than it originally did. Joel Schumacher did a great job making this an accessible and fun movie that wasn't full of itself.
FiLmCrAzY
½ September 10, 2007
i really enjoyed this movie it has a fantastic cast with some of my favourite actors and actresses, i found this movie funny , compelling on the seat tension and great action and fantastic acting!
a couple of kids witness a suicide and get told information that could ruin the mafia so the boy is troubed in whether he shoulld tell the lawyers or keep his silence to keep his family safe!
compelling drama action worth a watch!
December 21, 2008
"The Client" is an enjoyable and well executed thriller overall. While the directing, script and overall product are far from amazing and sometimes quite bland, the Oscar level performances compensate for the easily over-seeable flaws.

Perhaps the child of the title, Brad Renfro, can be annoying in parts he gives a decent enough performance nonetheless. Too bad about the drinks and drugs problem he has today. Susan Sarandon gives another terrific performance, this time as an alcoholic lawyer. Tommy Lee Jones' character doesn't have much to do with the plot but he's a welcome addition to the film, even though.

While it is easy to find fault with the film it's easier to just sit back and enjoy it. I chose the latter so I thought it was a good, if not spectacular movie overall
Chiefilms
½ March 3, 2008
Let's throw in a plethora of mediocre actors for Schumacher to control.
½ March 26, 2007
I love Brad Renfro in this film. I think he was a great child actor, the character is a hot-headed street smart kid and of course Susan Surrandon always tends to pull off a great part, the realtionship between the two was pretty endearing. The storyline is pretty unique and all in all is a pretty good film
deano
½ March 19, 2007
Outstanding thriller based on a John Grisham novel.
thmtsang
July 21, 2007
Excellent thriller about a child who witnesses a murder.
July 7, 2007
Not a fun movie. The kid is somewhat of a brat, but realistically portrayed. Tommy Lee Jones sours any movie he is in. Susan Sarandon provides some tough love. The opening suicide scene was ugly. There is a sense of danger throughout. A somewhat rousing conclusion.
May 16, 2007
A great thriller based on the book by John Grisham. A kid witnesses the suicide of a lawyer for the mafia and gets caught up in a case to bring them down....if the mafia don't get him first. Great film.
garyX
February 6, 2007
Deeply dull witness thriller as Susan Sarandon gets in touch with her motherly side protecting a stereotypical kid from a broken home with the ubiquitous southern drawl from the usual suspects. Yawn.
½ January 8, 2007
Decent thriller with a good cast
April 25, 2012
Young Mark Sway has witnessed a suicide of a mafia lawyer, but knows more than he should when that man tells him about a hidden body. The boy hires an attorney for just a dollar, seriously. This attorney just so happens to be a woman, a woman named Regina who ends up having to protect him and herself. After all, he does need protection for the mob family who's after him.

The film itself is not as satisfying as it could have been, but is still worth watching. Mark Sway is not the kind of boy who gets scared so easily, he's tough and acts as if he knows the world. Yes, he's in serious jeopardy of course, but doesn't always act like it. That is his character. Brad Renfro plays Mark Sway, and does a good job with staying as him. His lawyer Susan who is played by Susan Sarandon also does a good job with staying into character, she has children of her own but they were taken into their father's hands due to her abuse in acohol. However, she has been sober for quite a few years and hates the fact that her children do not live with her. That is why she treats Mark Sway as if he is her own child, she's the perfect lawyer and he knows it. Once again, The Client is not as great as it could have been, but it is still a worthy view.
½ February 13, 2011
First off let me begin by saying I've changed my job in these three days after long thinking and went to this movie today. aaaah the film got me smiling from that boy , the boy was hero outwits authorities and beats villains.
"The Client "One day while Mark and his younger brother Ricky are having a cigarette in the woods, a fat sweaty man parks his car there and starts letting car exhaust flow into the car. When Mark tries to unhook it, the man shoves him into the car and reveals some dark secrets. After Mark manages to escape, the man shoots himself.
Once the police investigation begins, Mark doesn't tell everything that happened, but the police are suspicious. Meanwhile, prosecutor Roy Foltrigg (Tommy Lee Jones) hopes to use Mark's hidden information to bring down a New Orleans mafioso (Anthony LaPaglia), while Mark is tired of getting questioned, and so he hires novice lawyer Reggie Love (Susan Sarandon), who has been having to deal with her own demons.
This movie leaves you little time to be bored. Not overly dramatic, but causing just enough tension to see you through to the end.
½ April 3, 2007
The Sway brothers come from a single parent home, one that is so poor, that they have to be left unsupervised. Often times, they go exploring in the woods behind their trailer, but on this particular day, they run into another person, a man intent on killing himself. When young Mark (Brad Renfro) interferes, the man takes him prisoner and before taking his own life, he opens up to the boy about some things he never should have told anyone. Mark calls the police and ultimately lies to them, the way any kid would, but they know it and when the FBI comes into the investigation, the smart twelve year old decides it's time for him to go out and find a lawyer. It took me a long time to watch this film because as a fan of John Grisham, I prefer to read his books before I see his films. As is the case in the Client, a lot of those films are directed by Joel Shumacher, who remains true to the story and produces a tremendous movie. After a nationwide search, Brad Renfro was selected to star in the first role of his brief, but brilliant career. Renfro unfortunately died of a drug overdose fourteen years later, but was well on his way to becoming a superstar. Even in his very first performance, you could see that this kid had what it takes to star in a film like this and really held his own with the all-star cast. Here he's paired with Susan Sarandon, who despite her reputation is often times someone I find unimpressive. She can be fantastic, but rarely seems to fit the roles she's cast in, but not here. As Mark's lawyer, Reggie Love, Sarandon portrays one of her most interesting characters to date and gives a flawless performance. The Client is a story written by one of America's favorite novelists, and what makes Grisham's stories so good is the fact that he is a lawyer, so everything is accurate as well as exciting. Together with a terrific cast, the Client had all the action, twists, and turns a fantastic court room drama should have. This story may have been a little more out there than some of Grisham's other films, nevertheless it is still a film that will hold your interest and keep you on the edge of your seat.
½ November 25, 2007
I never really cared for these movies based on what's-his-name's books and this one is pretty much as predicted for me. Some strong angles from Sarandon and Tommy Lee Jones but they never stretch themselves.
July 1, 2010
One of many disposable legal thrillers from the 90s
½ July 3, 2007
Very very entertaining!
DrStrangeblog
October 14, 2010
A masterpiece by Joel Schumacher standards.