Clockwatchers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Clockwatchers Reviews

May 7, 2013
A not particularly enlightening look at office life. It was of course trumped eventually by the masterful Office Space. The film ultimately raises the question - so what?
½ May 18, 2007
What starts as a kind of Nine to Five comedy about a group of young women temping at a credit company, evolves into a rather dark, frustrating, realistic and somewhat depressing dramedy. Iris (Toni Collette) is the newest temp recruit at a credit company where the key is to "look like you're busy". Incredibly shy, somewhat insecure and lonely Iris is soon befriended by three fellow tempers (Parker Posey, Lisa Kudrow and Alanna Ubach) who welcome her into their world of boredom, under-appreciation and aspiring dreams unfulfilled or out of reach. The catalyst for their friendship becoming stronger before ultimately falling apart is the arrival of a new office assistant and a subsequent string of thefts of everything from stationery to personal diaries. As suspicious eyes turn to the temps ("it's them and us"), it isn't long before bitterness and resentment break out, and things are never the same again. Despite the truly terrible, 80's looking DVD cover which inaccurately suggests a kooky office comedy, this is actually quite a bleak look at friendship and office politics, and is powerful stuff in parts. Toni Collette, as narrator and lead player, is truly excellent and has a way of portraying inner thoughts not spoken that is quite unique. As the film enters its second phase, you can see her think through possibilities and suspicions and, though the transformation of character she promises in voiceover at the start isn't (thankfully) completely fulfilled, her depiciton of Iris remains compelling throughout. Parker Posey provides excellent support, and has a heartbreaking and frustratingly real scene when her friends seemingly abandon her. A very cheap and plainly looking film (though that's probably half the point), Clockwatchers doesn't have enough of a satisfactory conclusion to make this entirely successful, but still remains a film you shouldn't judge by its tacky cover.
August 28, 2007
Watched this movie a lot as a teenager. I love it's dark humor and the different characters.
January 14, 2011
An office story with both drama and comedy, this movie had such a unique feel to it and I loved every minute of it! I especially liked Parker Posey's performance.
½ January 24, 2009
toni collette really is a chameleon..a true sign of a talented actor. this movie is depressing..because i'm guessing an office job would be more like this rather than the tv show 'the office' which makes office jobs look like a party!
½ July 11, 2007
This is a story about some 20 somethings types that work in a doll droll office, and the office experiences that they each encounter, THe stand out in this film is Toni Collette.
January 22, 2007
I wouldn't mind working at a brain-numbing office as long as I had Parker Posey in the next cubicle.
January 22, 2011
The Sprecher sisters wrote this screenplay based in part on their experiences at temps and the movie is alive with observational office humor.
March 13, 2011
A must-see office dramedy :)
½ July 31, 2006
Great story, with excellent characters that are well developed, real and likable. Toni Collette is fantastic as always, and she stands out in the cast. Perceptively directed Jill Sprecher. Very effective score. Smoothly made.
July 13, 2005
Starring: Toni Collette, Parker Posey, Lisa Kudrow, Alanna Ubach, Helen FitzGerald, Stanley DeSantis, Jamie Kennedy, Paul Dooley, and Bob Balaban.
Directed by Jill Specher.
Written by Jill Sprecher and Karen Sprecher.
Rated [b]PG-13[/b] (for brief language).
Running time approximately 1 hour 32 minutes.

Jill Sprecher's [i]Clockwatchers[/i] is a brilliant and hilarious black comedy with wonderful performances and a great vision of office life. Collette, Posey, Kudrow and Ubach are temps hired into a credit office, and all four of them hit it off wonderfully, which is odd because they are all so very different. Posey and Collette deliver the most wonderful performances here. The film's only flaw is that it seems to drag toward its conclusion, but the conclusion itself is a very satisfying one. [b]***1/2 (out of ****) B+[/b]
February 14, 2005
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=indigo]Thinking about office comedies and dark dramas lately. I rewatched Clockwatchers, which I had originally seen back in '98. It was and still is refreshing to see Lisa Kudrow play a character other than Phoebe Buffay (Friends.) Okay, I admit.. I've only seen one of the movies she has done since 1999.. just refreshing.

I wanted to compare the two movies, Office Space and Clockwatchers.. they are so very different, but both have dark views of corporate life. Both bring back bad memories of my old cube from my Symantec days.

Office Space had better character development, I believe. Clockwatchers really didn't need it. I felt the characters were left intentionally flat because, well, that's how people tend to be in those environments. Almost like zombies.. Which would bring me back to Shaun of the Dead. Except, you're saved! I'm too tired to go on.[/color][/font]