Star Wars: The Clone Wars Reviews

February 27, 2009
This movie made my daughter laugh and giggle and had a great time watching it. far more than some disney flicks. They targeted this for kids and they hit their mark. As a huge star wars fan I enjoyed the fact they reached out to my 7 year old.
½ April 5, 2012
Well, it looks as if George Lucas really has sold Star Wars for the sake of making money off as merchandising. This movie shouldn't have even been released for theaters, it should have just been a special on Cartoon Network. (I'm pretty sure that channel has been declining ever since they got rid of Dexter's Laboratory and Ed, Edd n Eddy.) I couldn't even follow the plot. It had something to do with Jabba the Hutt and his little bastard of a son. That thread even relates to trade routes in the galaxy. So in other words, Jabba the Hutt, the evil and vile space crime lord, needs his son in order to access trade routes for the Jedi. Doesn't that sound like a fun plot?
michael e.
September 14, 2010
Star Wars is one of the most well revered Sci-fi films of all time and one of the most well known film series of all time. So the idea of another film seemed like a good idea to expand more on Star Wars history and marketing, but how does this animated pre-prequel hold up.

Star Wars Clone Wars takes place in between after Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones and before Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith, when Anakin is a new Jedi Knight and has been given a new Padawan named Ahsoka Tano by Master Yoda. While this happens, Jabba the hutts son was kidnapped and the Jedi are being framed by Dooku and his assassin Ventress for the kidnap.

To think they got rid of Hayden Christensen, Ewan Mcgregor, and Frank Oz was a bit of a disappointment to me in this film, but overall, these new actors did decent jobs, Tom Kane did a surprisingly good Yoda and Nika Futterman did a creepily good Ventress, and is hands down one of the creepiest star wars characters. Also the return of Samuel L. Jackson, Anthony Daniels, and Christopher Lee were good surprises especially having Lee return as Dooku who is still just as good as he was in Episode II. But other than that, theres nothing really left to talk about about the voice actors except for they were decent renditions.

Now the animation is surprisingly decent for a film like this but the problem is that the animation does look stiff at times, but the animation looks incredible in the action scenes and they're close to being just as good as the prequels action, including the lightsaber battles and blaster fights, especially the beginning fight on Christophsis, and the music is very well done and sounds close to John Williams music and makes the battles feel just as grand and big.

I will admit doing an animated Star Wars film is a strange idea and only having a couple of the actors from the past films, I find kind of strange, and even now, I still find it kind of strange, but it is somewhat enjoyable, its a guilty pleasure to me. but it does drag on at a somewhat slow and boring pace. The film may not be fantastic and is definitely the worst of the Star Wars Saga, it did lead to something awesome.
August 1, 2008
Garbage. Why did they make this??
DreamExtractor
March 28, 2011
This is a truly horrible film and almost ruins the film series by being crappy. This may be a TV show pilot, but its a tv show that should not have been made. I hated this movie so much.
November 17, 2009
While it doesn't really work as a full length feature, it exists as a very good pilot for the animated series. I will say that what this has going for it is a far better depiction of Anakin than was allowed in the prequels, we get to see him being the hero and all around great person that he's built up to be. While this is terribly paced and certainly has its corny moments, there's a lot less than there were in Episode I. Ahsoka is at least an interesting character that shows potential aside from being an annoying sidekick. All in all, it's Star Wars and it has its heart in the right place. It probably should never have been given a theatrical release, simply because there's too many expectations.
Movie Monster
½ August 8, 2010
Why, George Lucas? Why?
JonathanHutchings
½ April 7, 2010
If you still need proof that George Lucas is overrated, I give you Stars Wars: The Clone Wars. As you know, Lucas began infantilizing his product all the way back in the Reagan years. I don't have to revisit the prequels (or the "Special Editions" of the original trilogy) here, but no one will accuse me of hyperbole when I say all of the newer product threw a big wet blanket (and swift kick in the nads) over our fanboy enthusiasm. With Genndy Tartakovsky's 2003 Clone Wars series, the upcoming Cartoon Network series, and now this film, he was finally able to turn his franchise into the children's cartoon he's wanted ever since he told the "Jedi" production team -- with a straight face -- he needed to hire a bunch of little people to play barbaric teddy bears.

The Clone Wars (or SW:TCW, as I like to call it) is supposedly designed to be an intro to the upcoming TV series. As such, it's an almost entirely pointless exercise. For starters, the events of the film serve as little more than an accessory to the overall Clone Wars plotline. It seems someone has kidnapped Jabba the Hutt's kid, Rotta the... Huttlet. The Jedi Council, needing safe passage through Hutt-controlled space to battle the separatists, send Anakin Skywalker (Matt Lanter) and his new padawan Ahsoka (Ashley Eckstein, in a shameless attempt to lure the tween girl crowd over to the dark side) and a squad of clone troopers to rescue the kid. The separatists, led by Count Dooku (Christopher Lee), have similar plans, leading to a showdown between the two Jedi, Dooku and his apprentice Asajj Ventress (Nika Futterman) and plenty of cannon fodder droids and clones.

Shades of Skorzeny rescuing Mussolini, yes? Okay, maybe not, but even if the plot isn't all that galvanizing, it would be perfectly serviceable as a foreword to a narrative about the war itself if not for the way Lucas and company continue to drizzle urine over any lingering goodwill fans of the franchise might still possess. The animation is lifeless (especially after Tartakovsky's efforts), the voice acting stiff (though Lanter actually gets Anakin through the whole movie with nary a whine), but it's the new characters that really screw the pooch. Not only are we treated to the nauseatingly precious Rotta (he farts! No one ever told me Lucas was a comedian!) and "Padawana Montana" (unlike the heavily armored Anakin, Obi-Wan, and assorted troops, Ahsoka marches into battle in a tube top/miniskirt combo), but we're also introduced to Jabba's uncle, Ziro the Hutt.

I might have been able to overlook asinine horsecrap like Ahsoka calling Anakin "Sky Guy" or his referring to her as "Snips" in return, but Ziro is an abomination. My complaint isn't that he speaks English (the horror!), but that he's basically Jar Jar in Hutt form, albeit deliberately effeminate in manner and talking like a cross between Truman Capote and Hoodoo from "Lidsville." The whole thing feels like a continuation of Lucas' experiments to see how much human excrement his dwindling supporters will eat before finally saying "ENOUGH!" and moving on to adult pursuits.

I should know. I'm not going to lie and say my anti-Lucas gland kicked into gear way back in '83 (primarily because I was just 12-months-old and couldn't even use the potty, let alone analyze a film). No, it took The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones to get those juices flowing freely (although, it should be noted that Revenge of the Sith FINALLY restored some balance to the force). There are still plenty of Star Wars fans out there (I'm hanging on by a thread), however, and now that he's truly super-duper rich, Lucas' only source of amusement seems to be in devising new methods to drive us off in disgust. Star Wars: The Clone Wars will go a long way in helping his cause.
gor41
June 5, 2009
Predictable, childish and pointless it may be but this old fan still enjoyed it.
puffchunk
April 18, 2009
There was some cool scenes of clones getting shot, but for the most part it was just a continuation of prequil garbage. I like that Jabba all of the sudden has a son. I also hate how they made him an icon of Tatooine from episode 1 on, when in fact he wasn't a very big crime lord or on Tatooine until shortly before A New Hope. But I guess Lucas has never read any of the books so whatever. Man he sucks.
March 15, 2009
awesome awesome wicked how star wars should be, they really need to release a new film like this, that was wicked. Going to watch it again for sure. I would now but I dunno,
½ December 20, 2008
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Laughing through his beard all the way to the bank, George Lucas continues to milk Star Wars fans? wallets with the rough, ruthless efficiency of Vader himself. Flat and heartless, this animated atrocity is simply a videogame you can?t play.
½ November 15, 2008
The Clone Wars, though aimed at a younger audience may actually appeal to all Star Wars fans. The action is pretty much constant and there is even some excellent animation to throw you straight into the center of the battles. Anakin has more life in him than any of the orequel films and comes across as a leader. Some of the other voices though are poor impersonations. Ashoka is a great characters, hotheaded like Anakin but sweet with it. Her relationship with Anakin is built on quickly but believably. The core plot sounds a little bizarre with the Jedi's helping to rescue Jabba's son. By the end though the Hutts are the true stars. Stinky is so cute and cuddly and also good for a few laughs and his existence adds a fatherly warm quality to Jabba. It will now be difficult to watch his death scene in RotJ. Then there is Jabba's uncle Ziro. A camp, purple, tattooed mincing kind of hut. He is a strange creation but a bit of fun. The film really does set the tone for a TV series which I now intend to watch. Though not as epic as Williams scores, the music fits well in this universe and even if the droids have had their comedy chips set to +100 it offers some smiles to proceedings. Enjoyable sci-fi action that isn't out of place with it's Star Wars brand name.
CloudStrife84
September 3, 2008
When did Star Wars stray from the realm of pure sci-fi magic, to this dark and shamelessly shallow universe, where all that counts in the end is the number of toys sold to 10-year old kids? Because with this latest installment in the franchise, it's become abundantly clear that good storytelling is no longer a priority here. I'm not saying this movie was awful, because I have to admit it was decent and pretty entertaining. But as compared to the classic trilogy, it's lightyears away from being anywhere near as good. Heck, I even thought The Phantom Menace was better, which just illustrates further what an utter disappointment this was. And here I thought the absence of George Lucas as the writer and director would actually be a good thing, but obviously it didn't make much of a difference. To me, this is a mediocre CGI flick at best, and one that almost makes me ashamed to be a Star Wars fan. Because the last thing I want is to be associated with this uninspired, poorly written, 90-minute toy commercial. But ah well, at least it spared us from the ever-annoying Jar Jar Binks.
skactopus
½ October 30, 2008
I really don't get all the negativity surrounding this movie. The people that hate this are probably the Star Wars geeks that need everything to be perfect. True, this isn't the best thing the Star Wars franchise has done, but that doesn't make it bad.The story isn't all that deep, but it is decent enough to carry this 100 minute motion picture. The pace is rapid and it doesn't dwell all that often, making for a quick film where things are always happening.The action is a plenty and the first hour flies by because of this. There are only 2 jedi against jedi battles, but there is a lot of blaster action to go around. This is the "Clone Wars" after all. The action really does make up for the lack in story.The CG is a little weak, especially for a movie like this, but it isn't all that bad. This allows for more variety in the action since some things will seem weird if it were real people. The sound effects and the music are still in top form and this a major plus.Most of the new characters are likable even though there is little in the way of background for them. I guess they are saving that for the TV series spin off. Notice that I said "most" of the characters are likable. Well, in the latter part of the film there is somebody known as Ziro the Hutt. Let me just say that this is one of the biggest annoyances and mistakes since Jar Jar Binks.You know how people always make fun of the "Roger Roger" droids? This film actually does that, which makes them stupid and laughable. This would be a huge no-no in a typical Star Wars film, but it is totally acceptable here. The same goes for the childish elements as well. The voice work is up to par, even though most of the characters have new voices. Samuel L. Jackson, Anthony Daniels, and Christopher Lee are the 3 that return to their original characters.This may not be a masterpiece and it does seem silly when comparing it to the 6 films, but this is still an enjoyable flick in my book.
rayman0071
September 5, 2008
A major disappointment. A crying shame to what George Lucas has done to his beloved science fiction series. The only saving grace with this animated installment is some of the action packed scenes,computer animation features,and the long gaunt versions of Anakin, Obi Wan, Count Dooku, Queen Padme, Mace and Yoda. When Lucas decided to make this a animated feature,where was Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher? Instead,Samuel L. Jackson, Christopher Lee and Anthnoy Daniels reprised their roles,as voice characterizations of the original characters leaving out Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor, and Hayden Christensen. And a grace note? The absence of composer John Williams theme score. After the last Star Wars movie,George Lucas should have left it alone. A major disappointment.
September 1, 2008
Ehhhh. I've been a Star Wars fan since the tender age of 2 and I couldn't even bring myself to be at the theater opening day. I watched a pirated copy online (not the best of quality and I suspect a lot of the finer and more subtle details got lost with the quality) and I got what I expected--a 90-minute video game cut scene. Most of it seemed like rushed action with everything conveniently wrapped up at the end. Maybe the upcoming Cartoon Network series will be a better venue for this story but I liked the other Clone Wars series a bit more. But the fact that we all know how it ends takes the suspense out of the whole thing. But that's another rant...
August 16, 2008
After seeing Kung Fu Panda and WALL-E I was feeling a little warmer to the possibilities of CGI animation - the 'charms' of which, more often than not, have been lost on me. But it's here to stay I suppose so I have to get used to it - it is now the dominant force in full length animated features. The old fashioned way of ink and paint is steadily becoming consigned to cinema history of course (Though childrens' TV seems to be keeping it alive where it seems to thrive still).
I did quite like the trailers for The Clone Wars as, despite it being CGI, it seemed to revel in looking very much like a 'toon'. And I have always thought that Star Wars would be better suited to animation (the 'prequels' are more or less that anyway as Lucas seems to be in love with CGI!)
Unfortunately, The Clone Wars very much encapsulates what is depressing about CGI animation. Cold, clinical and boring with lifeless characters.
Yes the set pieces are quite impressive but so is looking out the window at a thunder storm! Is it too much to ask for a half-way interesting story as well?
Characterisation was completely flat, as was the voice 'talent' as it spouted the risible dialogue - with annoyingly mannered accents (mostly what Americans think is a convincing English accent).
And NO-ONE has facial expressions beyond mild surprise! Surely there has been some progress in CGI over the years. As the characters pointed and waved their arms and nodded, shook and bobbed their heads in a desperate act to over-compensate for the total lack of facial expressions they felt like marginally less wooden Gerry Anderson puppets. And I have to say, an episode of Thunderbirds or Captain Scarlet is infinitely preferable to this monumental bore.
August 25, 2008
Great expanded universe adventure for fans such as myself. I loved the story and the pacing, and I was right on board with the new characters. I appreciate the attempted style of the animation (inspired by the "Thunderbirds" marionettes), but I think it resulted in deliberately expressionless faces, which bothered me a bit. Other than that, it's nice to see a big-screen Star Wars movie in fresh new hands. Looking forward to the TV series.
August 22, 2008
The Clone Wars follows the same formula of the previous Star Wars movies with full of action, adventure and some funny moments but I didn't feel the same intensity and power the saga is characterized of having. The plot is interesting although I found some flaws in it. The animation is good but not great, some characters like Yoda and Ahsoka are good but Anakin and Obi-Wan are kinda square shaped. I like the music, in general it's good but I think that some songs don't fit completely on the Star Wars concept. The voices are convincing enough but I think that they would be better if they were the voices from the original actors like in the case of Samuel L. Jackson, Anthony Daniels and Christopher Lee. Also I would like that there would be a longer participation of Master Yoda and Mace Windu in the movie. In conclusion, this is basically a Star Wars movie for the young fans of the saga that the older ones might enjoy.